Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

leidend posted:

Listened to it in the car with the old cassette adapter. These would break every few months

Couldn't use those fm adapters because there isn't a single "empty" radio station where I live.

When I bought my latest car, an aux port was a must.

I still use a cassette adapter in my car and the thing has worked perfectly for over 6 years. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

mrkillboy posted:

This is my first mobile phone which I got in 2000, the a1018, made by Ericsson before they became Sony Ericsson and before they dropped the Ericsson name all together. I got it as part of a prepaid package, which cost me a cool AUD$200 at the time.

Fun fact: when I got this early 2000, text messaging was unavailable for pre-paid plan customers on the network I was on. They only got around to making it available for everyone later that year.

Remember when SMS's first started and you could only send them to people if they were on the same network as you? Then cross network SMSing came along and it blew everyones minds.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

I was exited when the first digital Mavica was released. It was around the time I was starting to to work so I had a bit of money for my stupid crap. I got one of these thinking the days of photomats were over for good.

:smith:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

VoilaIntruder posted:

Another one is this strange entry into the FMV-style choose your own story "game."

http://youtu.be/NCLTm0fGzDc
Please note, this game is optimized for Intel MMX systems, so make sure you check yo specs.

This was an Australian comic book beforehand, so the local gaming magazines made a big deal about this game before it was released, multiple page previews, interviews and the like. Only for it to be a complete turd.

It's kind of interesting though that we now have the likes of the Telltale Walking Dead game which are the same concept done well.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

You don't have PMs or I'd totally ask there, but this looks criminally like Eastern Kentucky University's campus. Like further down that bit of road is Sullivan Hall and Burnahm even further. If it is, that's crazy as hell.

Edit: and to make this remotely on topic, I had one of those electronic organizers that could send messages to other ones. I always wanted to send secret notes in class, but no one else had one :(

cool kids inc. has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jul 28, 2012

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

JediTalentAgent posted:

The only real streaming competition that I ever saw at that time was a format called "Vivoactive" which I thought was better than Realvideo with comparable file sizes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VivoActive
Vivo sucked.
A friend of mine earned my eternal respect when he watched through the whole Godzilla-movie in Vivo.
Not only did he make it through a lovely movie, but he watched it through a thumbnail sized Vivo-file.
That's dedication!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bonzo posted:

My cell phone from 1998 to early 2000

Motorolla StarTec. I think the only reason I liked it was because I felt like I was on Stark Trek or something.

"What is the Prime Directive, Bran?"
"Winter is coming."

Somewhere we have a Nokia phone that is even older than the 3310, I think. I shall try and dig it out and take a photo, because it was in use until last year.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Iphones are phones people've been killed for. Early Nokias are phones people've been killed with.

And I'm sure that, when the year 4000 comes around and archeologists find the remains of a large coastal city underwater, and they stumble across an old-time 3310 or 3410, it'll work.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
God old phones are weirdly nostalgic. My first was a Nokia 5110 during the time when mobile phones were just beginning to catch on. At the start there were even advertisements from phone companies teaching you how to send a text.

Mobiles became the perfect prank device as we discovered the phone number for the pay phone in the school and set it to ring during assemblies.

My major leap was to a Sony Ericsson P910 in 2004 when I was intending to get a PDA but realized you could get a phone and a PDA together and not have to carry around more bits of tech. It was a bit shocking going from a near week between charges to about 3 days worth. The concept of a 3G internet thing was really alien then - people assumed only a blackberry could do such a thing.

Amusingly enough I was able to connect my P1i to my google account after I'd cracked the screen on my Galaxy S. It was kind of interesting using the phone as it had all of the functionality of today's tech, but everything was sort of clunky and poorly arranged.

It'd be tempting to go back to the 5110 for a laugh just for people to start wondering why the hell "IM TXTNG U LK ITS 99"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

I was exited when the first digital Mavica was released. It was around the time I was starting to to work so I had a bit of money for my stupid crap. I got one of these thinking the days of photomats were over for good.

This is amazing cause i just bought a Sony NEX-F3 and while flipping through the manual i noticed a "What is a infoLITHIUM battery?" section and i thought to myself that they've just came up with another stupid marketing term. But nope, looks like they've been using this stupid marketing term a long time now.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

You don't have PMs or I'd totally ask there, but this looks criminally like Eastern Kentucky University's campus. Like further down that bit of road is Sullivan Hall and Burnahm even further. If it is, that's crazy as hell.

It's Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon. The campus only got more snow than this once while I lived there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pocket Billiards posted:

This was an Australian comic book beforehand, so the local gaming magazines made a big deal about this game before it was released, multiple page previews, interviews and the like. Only for it to be a complete turd.

It's kind of interesting though that we now have the likes of the Telltale Walking Dead game which are the same concept done well.

I checked out a few min of that video. The voice acting is in the top 5 of games I've played. That's really sad :(.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
All this cellphone nonsense and no mention of the KING of the Nokias?

Hands down the best phone I've ever owned. Had it for almost 8 years before it finally died. If i could find a Droid version with a bigger screen, I'd still be rockin an E70

Jigg
Jul 6, 2004

Cnidaria posted:

I still use a cassette adapter in my car and the thing has worked perfectly for over 6 years. :colbert:

Same here. RCA's the only brand that seems to work. Tried a few others, Belkin and whatnot before finally finding another RCA adapter at Meijer of all places. Simple, yet effective.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dirty Beluga posted:

All this cellphone nonsense and no mention of the KING of the Nokias?

Hands down the best phone I've ever owned. Had it for almost 8 years before it finally died. If i could find a Droid version with a bigger screen, I'd still be rockin an E70

I'd completely forgotten about that model, thought they were slick as poo poo when I first saw them. Nokia really did make some of the best cell phones ever.

My 3310 got one whole side melted off during a small couch fire, to the point that all the internals were exposed on that side and the battery cover was a permanent part of the case, but it still worked like new. And yeah, I may have nicknamed it Harvey Dent. I still have it somewhere, probably would work great if I could find a charger.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Ka0 posted:

I've still got one of these kicking around at work. We used them to replace the old Polaroids to take photos of poorly loaded trailers that would come into work. It still works great but the load times to get pictures off of it are glacial at best.

I have every one of my old cell phones in a box somewhere. My Nokia 6120, which I got right when it came out in '98 or so is in there. If I still had a charger I'd bet it would fire right up. There's also a Treo 650 in there which is shockingly modern, if only a bit huge by today's standards. Even my cutting edge andriod phone doesn't have classic console emulators like the old palm OS ones.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Looking back, it's funny how everyone thought phones would get smaller and smaller, when the reality became everyone is trying to get the biggest screen they possibly can without it weighing down their pockets too much.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Texting pagers! To bad it took at least 20 minutes to send one text message.

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.

quote:

cell phone chat

Oh man, this thread is making me miss my old phone like crazy. My very first phone was a hand-me-down Nokia (pretty sure it was an early 6010, but I think it was way older than that) that I got in early 2006. All of the cool kids had their Motorola Razr V3s. I had my indestructible brick that didn't fit in any cell phone cases. At the time I hated how bulky and outdated it was, though now I wish phones were still built that way. It got run over by a school bus one afternoon.

Then two years later it died of old age :shepface:

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

While we're talking old phones, I put this together a month or so ago. It's every phone I've had since 1998. You can see the progression of the phones getting smaller, then bigger again!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I was the last person left int he world using a Nokia 6260.

I called it the Brick 2.0, because that thing was probably the last 'blocky' cell phone. It was durable as all hell, I actually got it as a hand-me-down from my mom (a rather clumsy woman) and despite it being dropped rather a lot over time it never really became less functional and only ever got like, five scratches tops. I think most of my family and friends went through two or three phones in the time I owned this thing. I replaced it with a cheap Sony phone which is working well enough, but I miss my Nokia's ability to go almost a week without being charged. I'd go back to it if I didn't trade it in.

I read through this thread over a day, and I'm wondering, whatever happened to the trend of smartwatches? I never even had one, and I think they're just way cooler than smartphones--how can you get more secret agent than a watch that does a dozen things but might not actually tell time?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lamb of Gun posted:

A Mavica that recorded directly to CD. I probably don't need to tell you that it was the biggest piece of poo poo in the universe. My buddy had one and every time you snapped a picture you had to keep the bastard perfectly still for a few seconds or else it wouldn't write properly. I think this was produced somewhere in 2000-2002.

I remember being super excited when I got given a CDR drive and then super disappointed when I discovered that the only way to make it work was to 1) only ever burn at 1x speed and 2) click "burn", tiptoe out of the room then leave the house for 4 hours otherwise it would jitter and gently caress the disc. Getting a 16x buffer underrun protected drive was an amazing experience - "I can burn discs and be in the house, holy poo poo!".

Also I used to make a fortune (for a 17 year old) in commission selling Compaq iPaqs in 2000 at my part time job, they'd sell for like £600 and we'd continuously sell out as they had a GPS attachment that was really popular at the time. Also to quote the friend of someone buying one "Wow the writing recognition must be pretty good because you write like a retard."

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Jul 29, 2012

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Cleretic posted:

I read through this thread over a day, and I'm wondering, whatever happened to the trend of smartwatches?
They're coming back into the public consciousness with things like the Pebble getting huge publicity, though now they're paired with smartphones and pretty much act as secondary displays and inputs rather than be standalone devices.

A few years ago I had this thing acting as both my phone and my music player, since I thought it'd be a smart move to have one device that could do both. Sony spent quite a bit of effort trying to keep the Walkman brand alive by releasing a bunch of Walkman branded phones but in retrospect they didn't do that good a job of it. The music player was really slow to use at least on this model, the transfer software tended to do things like inadvertently speed up the audio or cut off the beginnings of songs (thank God you could use Windows explorer) and you could only use the propriety headphone plug that fit into the same port as the charger so you can't listen to music and recharge it at the same time.

It sure looked great though.

mrkillboy has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jul 29, 2012

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Csixtyfour posted:

Texting pagers! To bad it took at least 20 minutes to send one text message.

Are those the two-way pagers that they still tell you to shut off every time you get on an airplane?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

mrkillboy posted:

They're coming back into the public consciousness with things like the Pebble getting huge publicity, though now they're paired with smartphones and pretty much act as secondary displays and inputs rather than be standalone devices.

A few years ago I had this thing acting as both my phone and my music player, since I thought it'd be a smart move to have one device that could do both. Sony spent quite a bit of effort trying to keep the Walkman brand alive by releasing a bunch of Walkman branded phones but in retrospect they didn't do that good a job of it. The music player was really slow to use at least on this model, the transfer software tended to do things like inadvertently speed up the audio or cut off the beginnings of songs (thank God you could use Windows explorer) and you could only use the propriety headphone plug that fit into the same port as the charger so you can't listen to music and recharge it at the same time.

I had that and the followup model. The second had a feature where you could get it to play a little flourish when you opened it up. I had one that made it play a noise that sounded like R2D2 falling down some stairs.

I actually got into a semi-argument with a friend over having a phone that doubled up as an mp3 player:she said that having both in one unit was a wonderful convenience. I said I was paranoid that listening to music constantly (as I do when I'm out and about) would kill the battery when I needed it most. That, and if I lose or break my phone, I still have my mp3 player, and vice versa. Neither of us could agree to disagree, so she has her shiny new iphone and I have my ipod (with about 3x the storage space of her phone) and Sony Ericsson W810. We're both happy the way we are.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have my ipod (with about 3x the storage space of her phone) and Sony Ericsson W810. We're both happy the way we are.

I had a W810i, I loved that phone. Even now I think it's the best designed phone I've used. Surprisingly capable too, when I got the Opera mini browser on it, I could even read SA.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Those old Nokias were the bee's knees. When cockroaches are crawling into the ruins of a post-nuclear holocaust Earth, they'll find old Nokia 3310s and use them to coordinate the take-over.

My first mobile phone? I was the first kid to get a phone, and it was this one I got from my dad:

It couldn't do SMS as far as I remember, it had the space for five (five!) numbers and that was it!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Cnidaria posted:

Yep, I still use mine too. It sounds so much better than the FM radio transmitter for the MP3 player.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I remember being super excited when I got given a CDR drive and then super disappointed when I discovered that the only way to make it work was to 1) only ever burn at 1x speed and 2) click "burn", tiptoe out of the room then leave the house for 4 hours otherwise it would jitter and gently caress the disc. Getting a 16x buffer underrun protected drive was an amazing experience - "I can burn discs and be in the house, holy poo poo!".

Oh man my first CDRW drive ran at 4X maximum, came with Adaptec Easy CD creator, and when you started burning a CD, you couldn't do anything else with the computer. Well, *technically* you could if you wanted to gamble with the buffer running out, and there were times when it came close. (Down to a nail biting 20% one time when I wasn't doing anything else.)

Now I know I can burn a CD or DVD without much fear of buffer underrun, but still I tend to not do much else on the computer while it's burning. I just leave it alone to do its work.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

mrkillboy posted:

The Motorola ROKR!

I'm sure a lot of people forget that iTunes was around pre-iPhone. This piece of poo poo came out on Cingular when I was still selling phones, man it was horrible, but we sold a ton of them because it had iTunes! I bet they handed one to Steve Jobs, and 5 minutes later they started making the iPhone.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

AHHHHHHHHHH! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT SO MUCH! So help me god, before I withdraw my membership from my horrid gym, I'm gonna loving smash it to pieces. gently caress THIS THING!

It makes no sense what so ever and you see how much of a paper towel is sticking out in the image above?! THAT'S HOW MUCH IT GIVES YOU PER SWIPE!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
That is neither failed or obsolete.

You can keep your loving wet, grimy hand actuated dispenser.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

D C posted:

That is neither failed or obsolete.

You can keep your loving wet, grimy hand actuated dispenser.

It's a horrible failure! Your hands are already clean! Who cares if you touch a handle? I miss the regular old ones with the lever you pull. Instant results! Pull lever, receive paper towel. Pull lever more for more paper towels. This thing is a delayed reaction.

1) Swipe hand
2) Wait for paper towel
3) Wait to swipe hand again
4) Swipe hand again
5) Get another paper towel.

There's always at least 1 guy trying to get more towels, with one guy waiting behind him.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

ZanderZ posted:

It's a horrible failure! Your hands are already clean! Who cares if you touch a handle? I miss the regular old ones with the lever you pull. Instant results! Pull lever, receive paper towel. Pull lever more for more paper towels. This thing is a delayed reaction.

1) Swipe hand
2) Wait for paper towel
4) Swipe hand again

There's always at least 1 guy trying to get more towels, with one guy waiting behind him.

because other people also touch that handle, not always with clean hands, what about the people that do the splash and go wash? The people that just vomited all over their hands and need a towel to wipe up first?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ZanderZ posted:

1) Swipe hand
2) Wait for paper towel
4) Swipe hand again

The worst part of these is that they're usually adjustable in how much they'll spit out at a time (that brand is, at least), and either in the effort of cost savings or ignorance of the feature, they're always set to the minimum length which just leads to what you describe. The longer setting gives more than enough to dry your hands with on the first wave. Even worse are the models that want you to pull the towel off before dispensing any more.

Aaand there's several dozen more words about paper towel dispensers than I expected to type today.

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jul 30, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Landerig posted:

Oh man my first CDRW drive ran at 4X maximum, came with Adaptec Easy CD creator, and when you started burning a CD, you couldn't do anything else with the computer.

I remember those days well. We were told CD drives couldn't go faster than quad speed because heat distortion would affect the tracks. :allears:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I actually got into a semi-argument with a friend over having a phone that doubled up as an mp3 player:she said that having both in one unit was a wonderful convenience. I said I was paranoid that listening to music constantly (as I do when I'm out and about) would kill the battery when I needed it most. That, and if I lose or break my phone, I still have my mp3 player, and vice versa. Neither of us could agree to disagree, so she has her shiny new iphone and I have my ipod (with about 3x the storage space of her phone) and Sony Ericsson W810. We're both happy the way we are.

Was it Sony or Nokia that sold phones with two batteries for this exact reason? IT never caught on for fairly obvious reasons.

wezyap
Jul 29, 2005

A sexually satisfied ninja is less likely to try to kill you.
On the early MP3 waggon:

burn the mp3's on a cd and play them on this baby, oh'yea.
It provided me with many hours of entertainment for many years

danquixotic
Nov 24, 2011

krut you are a faggot cunt nigger deer for leaving

Scythes.
It's been a while since I've had to cut long grass for hay, but my father taught me to use one when I was small as our land was far too steep for machines.
The feel of working with one when you get into the rhythm of is unlike anything else, and you can work suprisingly fast once you get going.
The snicker snack of it, hot sun, the smell of grass and the taste of homemade lemonade are inseperable in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ZanderZ posted:

you see how much of a paper towel is sticking out in the image above?! THAT'S HOW MUCH IT GIVES YOU PER SWIPE!

When my wife was still living in the dorms when she was in college all of the bathrooms were equipped with these...the secret was sticking your finger up into the dispenser and rocking the blade forwards (it sits on a hinge) which trips a sensor telling the PCB that runs the thing its OK to dispense another 6" of towel.

I would usually have to repeat the above three or four times before it would kick out an acceptable amount of towel.