Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
I couldn't finish Skyward Sword, either, despite falling in love with the upgrading system, the side-quests and the clock town feel of the hub-world. I hate, absolutely hate motion controls but gave it a chance and got through the majority of the game before I just couldn't do it anymore. I gave it more of a chance than Twilight Princess, which I had to take back for the Gamecube version (which I enjoyed immensely despite the criticisms of it being too easy-- wolf sections weren't the best, though). I almost didn't play Skyward Sword out of spite for not allowing me to use a Gamecube controller or at least that little arcade controller thing. Just not a Wii-guy for anything but party games as I can't seem to ever get the motion controls to do what I want. I can get it to 'work,' but not ever as precisely as I like and that's frustrating to me when your progression in a game is limited by something that feels so external.

I've been wanting a Zelda game since I was a kid with a more complicated sword-fighting system, and since the Gamecube came out I've been dreaming of a Zelda that uses the C-stick exactly like you would use the Wiimote for slashing attacks. You could still use A for jumping attacks, rolls, whatever other complex maneuvers-- just let me do vertical, horizontal and diagonal strikes with a simple flick of that second stick you already make next to no use of for camera adjustment.

It just seems so drat simple, and it would be so intuitive. None of this waving your arm around in the air like an idiot and watching another vertical strike register as a diagonal one at the last second. And then when you finally do get through the section or beat the enemy it doesn't feel satisfying-- you're just happy it's over with. You don't feel like you've mastered the controls, rather that you've endured them.

... That being said, I can't wait for the next Zelda-- whatever the hell they decide to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

:confused:

That's how I eventually finished the fight, but it just seems so weird -- how would I swing the sword to the right, when I'm already holding it to my right, without it veering way to the right of the guy. It just seemed like an exploit. Not only did the position of the sword not match the position of my hand, but the animation of Link didn't transition properly from "holding sword right" to "swinging from left" at all.

The way you're actually supposed to do it is move your sword over to the right, wait until his hand is on the right, then move your sword back to the left (without slashing) and attacking him from his undefended side. The way you described works but it's more a way of exploiting the controls.

I had no problems at all with the sword fighting in Skyward Sword but man does Fi kill me. I'm replaying again now and generally having a good time, but it's really hard to bear watching a horribly slow cutscene every time I hit a switch or something, then a slow zoom on a giant obvious door, then Fi comes out and says something like "Master there is an 80% chance that there is something important behind that door!". Like, I understand that sometimes developers try to balance letting players work everything out by themselves vs giving less skilled players some helpful tips, but I can guarantee that NO-ONE was thankful that Fi interrupted them to give them that little hint. Same goes for her telling you that useful things may be inside treasure chests in like the fourth dungeon.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

GrickleGrass posted:

I couldn't finish Skyward Sword, either, despite falling in love with the upgrading system, the side-quests and the clock town feel of the hub-world. I hate, absolutely hate motion controls but gave it a chance and got through the majority of the game before I just couldn't do it anymore. I gave it more of a chance than Twilight Princess, which I had to take back for the Gamecube version (which I enjoyed immensely despite the criticisms of it being too easy-- wolf sections weren't the best, though). I almost didn't play Skyward Sword out of spite for not allowing me to use a Gamecube controller or at least that little arcade controller thing. Just not a Wii-guy for anything but party games as I can't seem to ever get the motion controls to do what I want. I can get it to 'work,' but not ever as precisely as I like and that's frustrating to me when your progression in a game is limited by something that feels so external.

I've been wanting a Zelda game since I was a kid with a more complicated sword-fighting system, and since the Gamecube came out I've been dreaming of a Zelda that uses the C-stick exactly like you would use the Wiimote for slashing attacks. You could still use A for jumping attacks, rolls, whatever other complex maneuvers-- just let me do vertical, horizontal and diagonal strikes with a simple flick of that second stick you already make next to no use of for camera adjustment.

It just seems so drat simple, and it would be so intuitive. None of this waving your arm around in the air like an idiot and watching another vertical strike register as a diagonal one at the last second. And then when you finally do get through the section or beat the enemy it doesn't feel satisfying-- you're just happy it's over with. You don't feel like you've mastered the controls, rather that you've endured them.

... That being said, I can't wait for the next Zelda-- whatever the hell they decide to do with it.

Wow I know some people have problems with the sword but how can you seriously think that flicking the c stick to swipe is MORE intuitive than just using the controller as a sword!?!?!?!?! Take someone who doesn't play games much and give them a go with both control schemes and they're more comfortable with the motion controls. It's like Wii Sports. We may be used to using buttons for everything because that's what we've used for so long, but control methods like 'wave racquet-like controller to wave racquet' make more sense intuitively than some arbitrary combination of coloured buttons with letters on them that don't correspond to anything.

For balance here's another thing that bugs me about Skyward Sword: Whhhhhyyyyyyy do I have to hear your spiel about whatever I;m buying when I just want to quickly buy it? Zelda games from OoT onwards have had perfect, simple little shop interfaces where you highlight what you want, it has a description at the bottom if you need it, press A to buy. Now you need to walk over to what you want, press A, listen to the shopkeeper VERY SLOWLY describe what it is EVERY SINGLE TIME, buy it, then repeat if you want another. I didn't shop much myself, but it was painful watching my Dad do shopping. He doesn't play games often so he was always stocking up on red potions, and it took him SO LONG to do, because of a completely nonsensical system.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I miss Midna. Midna was awesome, she got all the cool character development and good lines. Plus, she gave some cool mechanics and relentlessly took the piss out of Link.

Though I wish you could transform between Wolf and Human Link without the game pausing and having to bring up a dialogue menu every time. It was the new "Menu screen to switch out the Iron Boots".

Fi on the other hand was a worthless poo poo and I hated her.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Bulletstorm not getting a sequel.
They say it's due low sales because of piracy, but I reckon it has more to do with a really generic looking lead. This game has a ridiculous amount of character, as does Gray himself. Bulletstorm has some great enemy design, awesome inventive weapons, yet Gray (apt name) looks like a Gears Of War reject with bad muttonchops.

Why does this matter in a FPS when you barely have to look at him? It looks like every other drat game on the shelf. I can't think of a more colourful shooter from the past few years (for those who haven't played it, it takes place on a holiday resort planet that has been subject to Fallout levels of radiation), let alone one on the Unreal engine, but it didn't stand out enough. It's a shame, I want more Echoes, dammit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

George Lazenby posted:

The way you're actually supposed to do it is move your sword over to the right, wait until his hand is on the right, then move your sword back to the left (without slashing) and attacking him from his undefended side. The way you described works but it's more a way of exploiting the controls.

Yeah doing that is where I failed the most, usually because I couldn't consistently move the sword left quickly enough without attacking. Then I tried moving my sword right and attacking vertically, and he'd instantly block that every time even though he clearly wasn't blocking that way. :confused:

Like I said earlier, I knew what the idea of the fight was, and I knew what I had to get Link to do, but getting him to actually do it completely eluded me.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

NonzeroCircle posted:

They say it's due low sales because of piracy, but I reckon it has more to do with a really generic looking lead. This game has a ridiculous amount of character, as does Gray himself. Bulletstorm has some great enemy design, awesome inventive weapons, yet Gray (apt name) looks like a Gears Of War reject with bad muttonchops.

Why does this matter in a FPS when you barely have to look at him? It looks like every other drat game on the shelf. I can't think of a more colourful shooter from the past few years (for those who haven't played it, it takes place on a holiday resort planet that has been subject to Fallout levels of radiation), let alone one on the Unreal engine, but it didn't stand out enough. It's a shame, I want more Echoes, dammit.

It's an FPS that looks generic and cliche'd at first glance. It didn't help that it looked especially like Gears of War in parts.

It's a different game with plenty of original ideas and gameplay, but it didn't look that way. The name of the game alone puts a lot of people off. Bulletstorm? They really should have thought about that.
The demo was especially harmful as it was overly linear and didn't really highlight the best bits of the game.

It was the turning point where Epic realized people are getting fatigued of UE games in general, you may have noticed they have stepped up original IPs and development of UE4 after Bulletstorm's release and the poor reception it got.

Zedsdeadbaby has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Jul 30, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

George Lazenby posted:

Wow I know some people have problems with the sword but how can you seriously think that flicking the c stick to swipe is MORE intuitive than just using the controller as a sword!?!?!?!?!

It might not be more intuitive, but it's sure as hell harder to argue with. Skyward Sword demanded precision with its swings - close enough isn't good enough, if you're fighting a Beamos then you have to do three horizontal slashes then a stab and there's no negotiating that. A game like that doesn't work with motion controls so fussy and specific that accidentally going like three degrees upward in your horizontal slash makes it diagonal.

Using the C-Stick might not have been a perfect alternative (I have no idea how you'd stab) but it's easier to control.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yeah, it's always a shame when a good game doesn't get the attention it deserves.

However, Bulletstorm has one thing that drags it down, and it's a problem that many games lately have with there being no final boss battle. It's especially grating when the game DOES have boss fights throughout the game, just no final boss at the end. Even worse if the final boss is just a QTE.

Off the top of my head I can name Rage, Fable II, Mass Effect 3, and Saints Row the Third.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
QTEs need to go, period. I don't know why developers think it's such a great thing. It's a sign that they have no faith in the actual gameplay mechanics perhaps. The early PS3 game Heavenly Sword was terrible for it. The gameplay in that was actually really excellent but the boss battles were absolutely ruined by QTEs that took the action out of the players' hands.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Got Just Cause 2 from the steam sale and I've been OCD'ing my way through it, having a great time.

But you should be able to spawn in any village you find, not just the Strongholds. If you die while loving around in far away territory it takes forever to get back, even if you use the black market fast travel. The black market sucks too, because the guy who runs it has horrible voice acting and I can't stand him.

Though he still has nothing on the leader of the Reapers. That is the worst acting I've ever heard. Ever. I can't believe some developer said "this is acceptable".

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Got Just Cause 2 from the steam sale and I've been OCD'ing my way through it, having a great time.

But you should be able to spawn in any village you find, not just the Strongholds. If you die while loving around in far away territory it takes forever to get back, even if you use the black market fast travel. The black market sucks too, because the guy who runs it has horrible voice acting and I can't stand him.

Though he still has nothing on the leader of the Reapers. That is the worst acting I've ever heard. Ever. I can't believe some developer said "this is acceptable".
My major gripe with Just Cause 2 is that I have NO MONEY for the black market. I have to go work on clearing out a town just so I can get enough cash to buy an overpriced grenade launcher. Maybe I buy too many things but I feel like I've completed the campaign and just want to blow poo poo up; why can't I order a rocket launcher and an attacked helicopter for free.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Paper Diamonds posted:

My major gripe with Just Cause 2 is that I have NO MONEY for the black market. I have to go work on clearing out a town just so I can get enough cash to buy an overpriced grenade launcher. Maybe I buy too many things but I feel like I've completed the campaign and just want to blow poo poo up; why can't I order a rocket launcher and an attacked helicopter for free.

Mod it asap. The "everything free on the black market" mod makes the game much more fun. Also the voice acting rules.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of JC2, when I buy an upgraded weapon and/or vehicle, the upgrades should be to all weapons of that type so I don't blow a bunch of money upgrading my SMG just to lose it in a minute. Also, this might just be a me thing, but I definitely think I should only have to buy a vehicle once, and after that I should get to spawn it wherever I drat well please. I just crash jets too much to have to keep buying new ones.

VVV: PS3. :smith::hf::smith:

TwoPair has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Jul 30, 2012

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

gohuskies posted:

Mod it asap. The "everything free on the black market" mod makes the game much more fun. Also the voice acting rules.
Xbox 360 Version :smith:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Phobophilia posted:

I loved DS Zelda games. The controls were great, and I even enjoyed the Ocean King's Dungeon. I treated it like a time attack mode, and finding new ways to breeze through subsequent dungeon crawls was fun. There were ways of getting through that dungeon without even using up any of your time, just by finding optimal paths and via extra time pick-ups. Spirit Track's dungeons were even better.

But the train. Oh god, the train was my least favourite way of getting around in any game. It was slow and boring. You were continuously harassed by hard-to-hit enemies. And there were unkillable instant death enemies patrolling on unpredictable paths, and it was easy to screw up and get cornered.
I hated those flute segments, since the game's absurdly picky about what "counts" as a correct note and doesn't give you any real idea what you're doing wrong, and I'm not musical dammit stop making me basically play a virtual instrument for real via the microphone this poo poo's not cool.

:sigh: I liked the parts I played, but I was literally unable to finish that second flute segment and never got any further.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

I hated those flute segments, since the game's absurdly picky about what "counts" as a correct note and doesn't give you any real idea what you're doing wrong, and I'm not musical dammit stop making me basically play a virtual instrument for real via the microphone this poo poo's not cool.

:sigh: I liked the parts I played, but I was literally unable to finish that second flute segment and never got any further.

Trying to play the game in a room where someone is watching TV? Good loving luck playing that flute!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I kinda wanted to recap in detail my travails with GTA4: TLATD, and the Windows Games Live system, but frustrating though though an entire evening of battling with it was, I doubt anyone would be particularly interested in a long account.

In short, whoever thought that the game needed 2 accounts (Rockstar Social Club and Windows Games) an internet connection to save blah blah blah blah blah blah should be taken out and shot.

If you try to stay logged out, you get a cycle of 4 (four!) "are you sure you want to stay logged out" questions you have to hit escape on, and then one "are you reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly sure?" question where you need to hit enter to confirm. Escape brings you right back to the start of the questioning process. It's like something straight out of a DRM parody.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Going back to Just Cause 2, one critical piece of advice I would give to newbies (and talked about just before) is to NOT upgrade your weapons/vehicles especially early in the game. Missions and collectibles just do not pay enough for you to afford the newly upgraded weapons on a regular basis.

So, yeah, my gripe is that I foolishly upgraded the gently caress out of some weapons/vehicles and now can only order them sparingly.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Going back to Just Cause 2, one critical piece of advice I would give to newbies (and talked about just before) is to NOT upgrade your weapons/vehicles especially early in the game. Missions and collectibles just do not pay enough for you to afford the newly upgraded weapons on a regular basis.

So, yeah, my gripe is that I foolishly upgraded the gently caress out of some weapons/vehicles and now can only order them sparingly.

You do understand that weapon/vehicle upgrades affect the ones you find in the wild, right?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

U.T. Raptor posted:

I think I blanked that part out of my memory, it was that painful. I didn't mind having to move the pan flute using the touch screen, it's just that

I also hated the bit where you need to deflect the rocks during the final boss fight. Got me stuck for an hour or so, because a single mistake means you need to sit through a long dialogue and a restart every. Single. Time.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

scamtank posted:

You do understand that weapon/vehicle upgrades affect the ones you find in the wild, right?

Yeah, I upgraded my SMG early on because I always used it, accidentally dropped it, found a new one later at the same upgrade level. It doesn't work on cars, but it works on weapons.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Metro 2033 was on sale for $5 on Steam. I gave it a good try, but I dunno. I guess for $5 I got my moneys worth, but I dunno if I'm gonna muddle through with finishing the game.

It starts off pretty well. Fairly unique post apocalyptic storyline set in Russia, survivors live in the subway system battling creatures with homemade weapons and homemade bullets. Trips to the surface require a gas mask for some reason, the mask can break, and you need filters for it. Pretty cool game mechanic unless you get lost and time's running out.

Then the game throws psychic phenomenons into the mix. Okay, weird but I'll buy it. Then it throws a Communist faction into the mix. Okay, that's not too implausible. I'll still buy that.

Then it throws in a Nazi faction. In a post apocalyptic Moscow, in 2033, with deadly creatures who want to kill all humans, the survivors decide to reenact WWII? That's too much suspension of disbelief for me.

Also, the game seems to be programmed to make you have to reload often and starve you of ammo no matter how much you scavenge. Bullets are weak, though this is explained. The shotgun is just WTF though. It starts off with 8 shells in it. You reload, and your character puts in 2 shells. Hit the reload key again and he puts anywhere from three to five more shells in. Hey stupid, it holds 8 shells put 8 shells in it!

Landerig has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Jul 31, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Landerig posted:

Then it throws in a Nazi faction. In a post apocalyptic Moscow, in 2033, with deadly creatures who want to kill all humans, the survivors decide to reenact WWII? That's too much suspension of disbelief for me.

There's a minority of people in Russia who've already forgotten the Great Patriotic War. Anti-Semitism is on the rise and there's actual neo-Nazi groups in Russia despite being one of the "inferior races" their preceding idols tried to wipe out. So, sadly, a Nazi faction is not that unbelievable.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Edit: ^^^^ I guess the suspension of disbelief was more that groups would really be arming up and killing each other in the middle of what amounts to a horrific natural disaster to the point of literally being survivors trapped in underground ruins + war against mutants/aliens/whatever at the same time.

I'm not saying that disasters naturally bring people together all the time, but drat if the roof could collapse at any moment and gas my entire family my thoughts would be leaning a little more towards more practical matters than "People I don't like are still alive".

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

QTEs need to go, period. I don't know why developers think it's such a great thing. It's a sign that they have no faith in the actual gameplay mechanics perhaps. The early PS3 game Heavenly Sword was terrible for it. The gameplay in that was actually really excellent but the boss battles were absolutely ruined by QTEs that took the action out of the players' hands.

I know QTEs are generally reviled, but what about ones that are essentially throw escapes? (IE, Boss grabbed you, do this to get out of it before it deals more damage.) Or are those Bad too?

That said, everyone likes to say that anything a QTE does is something your game SHOULD have been able to do with the basic controls anyway, but I wonder about that sometimes. Some of the things I've seen just seem a little too situational and specific, and I'm sure most games have enough controls to not want to devote a button specifically to "Wrapping chains around weakened pillars".

Midnight Raider has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Jul 31, 2012

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I'm surprised to see so many people liking the DS Zelda games control scheme. I couldn't stand it, granted it had some interesting uses but to not even include a secondary control option to use the buttons is just needlessly enforcing a gimmick. Then again it is Nintendo. I want to play more top down Zelda games but at this rate I'm poo poo out of luck.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, I upgraded my SMG early on because I always used it, accidentally dropped it, found a new one later at the same upgrade level. It doesn't work on cars, but it works on weapons.

It definitely works on cars. And jets. And boats. Find an airfield and go hogwild, man. I fast travel to airbases to get a nice, quick jet to get across the map in 2-3 minutes now that I put some cash into 'em.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Young Freud posted:

There's a minority of people in Russia who've already forgotten the Great Patriotic War. Anti-Semitism is on the rise and there's actual neo-Nazi groups in Russia despite being one of the "inferior races" their preceding idols tried to wipe out. So, sadly, a Nazi faction is not that unbelievable.

Had the game bothered to explain the Nazi faction's back story, that would have helped. Instead it just throws them at you. To me it feels like the people who created this game started off with a great premise, then ran out of good ideas and resorted to tacking on crazier and crazier stuff to pad the game out.

But. yeah, $5. It's worth $5.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Landerig posted:

Had the game bothered to explain the Nazi faction's back story, that would have helped. Instead it just throws them at you. To me it feels like the people who created this game started off with a great premise, then ran out of good ideas and resorted to tacking on crazier and crazier stuff to pad the game out.

But. yeah, $5. It's worth $5.

It's based on a book and follows the plot of the book almost exactly. Mystery solved.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Landerig posted:

1. It's based on a novel.

2. Unless you're going to go with religious fanatics (which are far more implausible than the Nazis given the dearth of real religious sentiment in modern day Russia [despite ostentatious displays of religious affiliation] ) these are pretty much the only "extremist" factions that could conceivably arise in post-apocalyptic post-soviet space.

3. You probably don't actually know anything about Russia, and wouldn't find bears and balalaikas implausible.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The actual thing that drags Metro 2033 down comes near the end of the game. gently caress the Library. Also the amoebas. Also bugging out in the final boss fight and getting caught in an inescapable death loop.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Landerig posted:

Metro 2033

The loving stupid thing that got me were the types of bullets and how they can only be identified by color. And the game doesn't even say "this is the best kind of bullet, here is a picture:" No, they say "The gold is the best." Even though to me three out of four bullets looked a shade of gold.

I don't know, I'm not color blind or retarded, but this still screwed me over.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beastie posted:

The loving stupid thing that got me were the types of bullets and how they can only be identified by color. And the game doesn't even say "this is the best kind of bullet, here is a picture:" No, they say "The gold is the best." Even though to me three out of four bullets looked a shade of gold.

I don't know, I'm not color blind or retarded, but this still screwed me over.

There's two types of bullets, shiny brand new-looking military surplus and lovely, grotty looking homemade bullets made in the Metro. They look absolutely nothing alike and they only way you can burn through the military surplus bullets is if you deliberately switch to them (or you run out of lovely surplus bullets). If this confounded you I honestly have no idea what to tell you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2 recently after picking it up for five bucks. Just got to Venice, actually. Outside of the framing device, it's actually a pretty cool, relatively realistic depiction of an assassin working against a whole shadowy organization, and I was actually getting quite into its story. Even the modern-age bits had its appeal, in sort of a vague Deus Ex-plus-historical-creativity way, although some of it was dumb.

...Then in one of the bonus storydumps I hear that suddenly we have Hitler using an alien mind-control device given to him by Henry Ford to cause World War 2 and potentially the Holocaust. That whiplash was so bad it hurt, and any form of suspension of disbelief is damaged so badly I'm not entirely sure I want to keep seeing the game out.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cleretic posted:

...Then in one of the bonus storydumps I hear that suddenly we have Hitler using an alien mind-control device given to him by Henry Ford to cause World War 2 and potentially the Holocaust. That whiplash was so bad it hurt, and any form of suspension of disbelief is damaged so badly I'm not entirely sure I want to keep seeing the game out.

It's not like it's the sudden contextless revelation that "actually Hitler was using alien mind control devices". The overarching mythology of the series is that the artifacts reoccur throughout history and people become dictators by utilising their power. Yeah, it's outlandish, but why is the fact that one of the dictators is relatively recent such a suspension-breaker, when the idea that, say, the Vatican or the Templars were doing the same thing is given a free pass? It's the same thing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Leovinus posted:

It's not like it's the sudden contextless revelation that "actually Hitler was using alien mind control devices". The overarching mythology of the series is that the artifacts reoccur throughout history and people become dictators by utilising their power. Yeah, it's outlandish, but why is the fact that one of the dictators is relatively recent such a suspension-breaker, when the idea that, say, the Vatican or the Templars were doing the same thing is given a free pass? It's the same thing.
While the personal stories around Ezio are pretty good and he's a very likeable character, the game's overstory is a horrifically self-indulgent mess with a scope that's just far too big. And that was even before the big reveal: Everything is aliens

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah, it's always a shame when a good game doesn't get the attention it deserves.

However, Bulletstorm has one thing that drags it down, and it's a problem that many games lately have with there being no final boss battle. It's especially grating when the game DOES have boss fights throughout the game, just no final boss at the end. Even worse if the final boss is just a QTE.

Off the top of my head I can name Rage, Fable II, Mass Effect 3, and Saints Row the Third.

I found that the last part of Bulletstorm was quite weak overall. Moving through underground caverns fighting generic mutants, then into ship interiors to fight generic armoured soldier guys.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
gently caress the haters, the Subject 16 stuff in Assassin's Creed 2 is the best part of the game. Other than punching the Pope in the face and bro-ing it with Leonardo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Leovinus posted:

It was mostly the alien mind-control part, really. I can totally buy that a cabal of Earth-controlling figures would include noted for-profit technology-stifler Thomas Edison and Hitler. I cannot buy that these guys have alien mind-control technology. For a game that sticks to reality (with the accepted exception of the Animus itself) alien mind control devices just step over the line of suspension of disbelief. Why can't the Templars just be a secret force of people with an impressive bankroll and a lot of secret plots? It worked for Deus Ex, am I wrong just wanting the overarcing rear end Creed story to be a more hands-on Deus Ex in historical settings?

It's kind of a shame, because the team can apparently write the historic sections of the story pretty well, and ther'es a lot of attention to detail there. It just gets soured by one stupid mistake that they, apparently, persisted with.

In It For The Tank posted:

gently caress the haters, the Subject 16 stuff in Assassin's Creed 2 is the best part of the game.

I actually like Subject 16 as a character, entity, and narrative driving force. It adds a lot to everything, speaking as someone who came in expecting and wanting a lot of historical ridiculousness. On some level I really wanted just some random bit of the game to go finger-pointing and saying "He was in the Templars! And him, and him, and him..." So it's great something did. I just think alien mind control is really, really dumb.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Jul 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Cleretic posted:

It was mostly the alien mind-control part, really. I can totally buy that a cabal of Earth-controlling figures would include noted for-profit technology-stifler Thomas Edison and Hitler. I cannot buy that these guys have alien mind-control technology. For a game that sticks to reality (with the accepted exception of the Animus itself) alien mind control devices just step over the line of suspension of disbelief. Why can't the Templars just be a secret force of people with an impressive bankroll and a lot of secret plots? It worked for Deus Ex, am I wrong just wanting the overarcing rear end Creed story to be a more hands-on Deus Ex in historical settings?

It's kind of a shame, because the team can apparently write the historic sections of the story pretty well, and ther'es a lot of attention to detail there. It just gets soured by one stupid mistake that they, apparently, persisted with.

The thing is; in your spoiler you mention, no real spoiler in this bit: "For a game that sticks to reality (with the accepted exception of the Animus itself)"

So; you consider it a game which sticks to reality...with the notable exception of its entire premise!

As noted elsewhere (and by you); yes AC would be a better series if it were simply full-bloodedly "stories of a guild of assassins set entirely in the past", and dropped the back story entirely for "epsiodes in which Ezio owns, many times" - but its not, it isn't and has never been that, from 2 minutes into the first game.

• Locked thread