Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's a cool idea with middling execution. Adding an extra dimension to combat (Something that New Vegas somewhat lacks in comparison) tends to make it more interesting, but you're right that the DC interior suffered, mostly due to how it was partitioned by the subways. If they'd gotten rid of the rubble barriers forcing you to use the subways exclusively, it would have been a lot easier to get around, and consequently a lot less repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If people are willing to come up with such excuses for the Legion, why don't we have more apologists for The Master?

:v: "Forcibly dipping everyone into vats of FEV is good for the wasteland, and totally the right idea and justifable because..."

Listen to watch the Legion have to say, they're pretty evil. And they don't really try to hide it - the seem to be pretty much hated by everyone, expect Dale Barton, because according to him, not wanting to high taxes totally justifies helping propping up an empire based on human slavery. I never did like Dale.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I always felt a little bad for the Master. Sure, hes a crazy pile of sludge but the shock in his voice after he realizes that his plan is hosed always gets me a little :smith: . Concincing him to kill himself is among the most satisfying speech checks in any game ever. Sure of a lot more sympathetic than the loving piece of poo poo overseer.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like how Fallout 3 did the DC interior? It's a confusing maze of tiny open areas linked by samey sewer/subway tunnels. It's nigh impossible to navigate and every area looks more or less like every other area except a handful of special areas like the Mall. I thought the DC interior was terrible.

I liked the look, feel and atmosphere of it but hated actually traversing it. Invisible walls, conveniently placed rubble to corridor you, the boring subway tunnels all made it a chore to navigate and aside from a handful of cool buildings in there I never felt inspired to explore because of how tedious it was.

It could've been this cool war zone, but it just felt so boring and inconvenient to navigate that I ignored it as much as possible in favor of wandering boring, endless wastes with the hopes of eventually encountering a settlement or set-piece building to explore.

Mind you, I've only ever completed Fallout 3 once as the other few playthroughs I've attempted I just haven't been able to will myself to the ending. That was the most disappointing thing about Fallout 3 for me-- nothing inspiring me to make all these different characters with my imagination running wild as to how each of their experiences will be different. Like, I can't begin to imagine how many characters I've created in Fallout 2-- a handful I've beaten the game with, but a countless amount of ideas for iron-man runs and fun stuff like that. And New Vegas is the same way. The world itself just feels so much more convincing-- whether that's because of better writing or it just feeling more "alive," I don't know.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

VaultAggie posted:

I always felt a little bad for the Master. Sure, hes a crazy pile of sludge but the shock in his voice after he realizes that his plan is hosed always gets me a little :smith: . Concincing him to kill himself is among the most satisfying speech checks in any game ever. Sure of a lot more sympathetic than the loving piece of poo poo overseer.

Yeah, the Master really, honestly believed that his plan was brilliant and excellent and probably even morally righteous, and being able to stand in front of him and shoot holes in it, culminating in his understanding just how bad an idea on every front it was, was fantastic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zeron posted:

Like I said, I don't think it's right even if there's a guarantee of success. And no, the slavery is still not justified even if the end result is a vastly better society. I don't mean that the end society should be brought down because it was based on slavery, just that the slavery is still wrong even despite all the good consequences it brought in the future. Future generations may be happier yes, but the misery of the preceding generations is still important and shouldn't be discounted. Just because people lived in the past doesn't mean that they are somehow less deserving of happiness than we are.
Isn't that one of the themes of The Pitt DLC?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

OldMemes posted:

If people are willing to come up with such excuses for the Legion, why don't we have more apologists for The Master?

:v: "Forcibly dipping everyone into vats of FEV is good for the wasteland, and totally the right idea and justifable because..."

Listen to watch the Legion have to say, they're pretty evil. And they don't really try to hide it - the seem to be pretty much hated by everyone, expect Dale Barton, because according to him, not wanting to high taxes totally justifies helping propping up an empire based on human slavery. I never did like Dale.

The Master's plan wouldn't have been half bad if it wasn't for the mental deterioration of second generation Super Mutants combined with their sterility.

And nobody's making 'excuses' for the Legion. The concept of slavery being used as an efficient labor source to speed up industry in order to establish a more efficient empire isn't an excuse, it's just logic. It's not like we're talking about the slavers form Fallout 3 who just took slaves for fun, the Legion has a goal. Whether you agree with that goal or believe that the ends justify the brutal means is a matter of perspective and opinion, but you have to have ignored half the story to think that the Legion are a bunch of one-dimensional villains twirling their mustaches.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

OldMemes posted:

There is one, but he's kinda lonely because his robot friend is broken. He mostly just talks to himself these days.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Another quest question!

I'm doing the bitter springs quests, and I've already completed most of them. But I keep looking for the doctor so I can do 'Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues' but i can't find the doctor ANYWHERE. I've searched all around bitter springs but all I can find are the soldiers, the refugees, and captain gilles.

I did Boone's companion quest before doing bitter springs, so I don't know if it's possible he got killed? I tried using the console to target him (with PRID), enable him, then move him to me but that didn't work. If I use a player.placeatme command to spawn a new one he won't give me the quest. What can i do?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ogmius815 posted:

So now we're apologizing for actual historical atrocities like the borderline genocide of native groups? Legion apologia just gets better and better.

Legion avatars for everyone!

Various red titles to go with said avatars.
"I got enslaved by the Legion and all I got was this crappy avatar."
"Well it's better than a slave throne. I guess?"
"Imagine people on a cliff using Hegalian dialetics as a predictive model, continuously failing to realize their idiocy. Marxism works the same way. This my dear, is Caesar's Legion."

PS: I did like that wall of text you wrote though, Mirthless. Even if some people are pretty hyperbolic :ssh:

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 31, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The best excuse to work for the Legion is just to be a low intelligence anti-NCR rebel. The NCR has done plenty of crappy stuff to small groups of wastelanders and the Legion is only power in Nevada that's strong enough to make them hurt bad. Plus, a Courier that tries to rationalize why siding with the Legion is good just isn't as satisfying as playing one who doesn't really care, he/she just wants to see the NCR suffer for their mistakes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

So now we're apologizing for actual historical atrocities like the borderline genocide of native groups? Legion apologia just gets better and better.

Beep Beep, I'm giving Lotax five bucks just to spite you.

Quit getting mad at videogames.

Seriously, though, if you think anybody is apologizing for genocide or slavery ITT I don't know what to say except maybe you are taking this way too seriously? The point of everything I've been saying is that the Legion gets poo poo done and from the perspective of somebody living in a rotting, irradiated hellpit that hasn't gotten better in two centuries since the war that ruined everything, the Legion's ideals and methods might be appealing. I am not personally saying that if I was transported to New Vegas tomorrow, I'd be signing up with the legion and getting my rape on.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 31, 2012

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I did not know Vulpes Inculta was supposed to be an albino. :stare:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I always get sad when I hear about the cut legion content. All those Legion that I will never get to slaughter ruthlessly with my good friend Boon :(.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I feel like the cut content was probably the stuff that would have made the Legion seem reasonable without having to excessively read into the motivations of Caesar and his Legion. It is unfortunate, but in a game where there is supposed to be no cut and dry good guy faction, the NCR is painted in pretty close to the best possible light and spends most of the game in the spotlight.

The modding community seems to be committed to making mediocre The Pitt style megaquests though instead of expanding the existing and interesting factions. Why put all that effort into Boulder Dome when they could have put it into a Legion expansion?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also I just got the dlc for the first time. Is Ghost of She something you're not supposed to kill legitimately or was I way under leveled/equipped/bad at the game. I was level 12 with drat near every chem in the game running through me and I just get slaughtered.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know how the level scaling works in the DLC, but the first time I tried that encounter at level 40 in Remnant Power Armor, I got one-shotted. So I reloaded, pulled out my 10mm, and as soon as everything turned white I went into VATS, and when that was done I just kept firing until I was sure the thing(s?) were dead.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Also I just got the dlc for the first time. Is Ghost of She something you're not supposed to kill legitimately or was I way under leveled/equipped/bad at the game. I was level 12 with drat near every chem in the game running through me and I just get slaughtered.

You're supposed to be able to kill her yes. Earliest I've done this is around lvl 12 with a guns character pumped up on every drug imaginable and eating about 20 kinds of food for healing, so don't feel bad. Ghost of She is tough, but do-able.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Ever since I installed GRA The Right to Bear Arms, I don't see merchants having trouble with bandits anymore...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I just installed that tonight, got to see a merchant running around with an MFC Cluster Grenade :stare:

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
I was annoyed by the random distribution of GRA stuff in Right to Bear Arms. Wasn't so bad with weapon blanks or recipes, but goddamn was it annoying to just suddenly get taken out by a regular fiend with a Tri-Beam Laser.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Yeah, you can kill her. Basically forget about aiming down the screen after your first hit and shoot at your red compass marks while being high on every damage-increasing drug or consumable you can find and maybe some Rushing Water too.

EDIT: Also, I agree that seeing more than like, one genuine Legion civilian would have been helpful. As it is it's hard to believe that such things exist.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

D34THROW posted:

Looked it up. Manly tears were shed.

A man of few words with a horrible past, but a good man nonetheless. If I could take one character out of the game into real life, it would be him, if only so I could look him in the eyes, say "I forgive you," and give him a big fat stinkin' hug. :gbsmith:
Love for Boone is the only thing that makes me hesitate trying a Legion playthrough. I'm an NCR man myself, but am curious to give the Legion a shot, but the idea of screwing over that goddamn champion... :smith:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Synonymous posted:

Love for Boone is the only thing that makes me hesitate trying a Legion playthrough. I'm an NCR man myself, but am curious to give the Legion a shot, but the idea of screwing over that goddamn champion... :smith:

Just do what I did. Humor him for a while, take him out for walkies to do some quests for the NCR, then stick him in The Lucky 38 for the rest of the game so Lily can feed him sugar-dusted cactus pears and tell him that he is a wonderful grandson.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Davos posted:

I was annoyed by the random distribution of GRA stuff in Right to Bear Arms. Wasn't so bad with weapon blanks or recipes, but goddamn was it annoying to just suddenly get taken out by a regular fiend with a Tri-Beam Laser.

I know this isn't the modding thread, but you can independently configure the likelihood of NPCs having weapons / letters / recipes if something's really bugging you.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Bilal posted:

So I travel with Boone long enough that he asks me to go with him to Bitter Springs. We start hiking there. On the way, we get ambushed by a Legion assassin squad.
Boone gets shot down almost instantly. As he ragdolls to the ground he chuckles and says "Heh, I always knew you'd be the death of me. :smug:"
I killed all the assassins and went to go recover his gear and found out that he's carrying a note on his body I haven't seen in his inventory before. So I read it.

:smith:

Just :smith:

This is from a few pages back, but god drat. I never knew about this.

:smith:

E: Here's the note, if anyone else is wondering.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have this recurring problem where I get all 37 gold bars, put them in my safe, and then can't bring myself to sell them. They just look so good in there.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have this recurring problem where I get all 37 gold bars, put them in my safe, and then can't bring myself to sell them. They just look so good in there.

Let go.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Just do what I did. Humor him for a while, take him out for walkies to do some quests for the NCR, then stick him in The Lucky 38 for the rest of the game so Lily can feed him sugar-dusted cactus pears and tell him that he is a wonderful grandson.

Somehow I like to imagine that Lily doting on him would almost make him forget his regrets if you completed I Could Make You Care for the survival armor...like he would be happy again.

Of course, when I get around to a Legion playthrough, I won't hesitate to put a bullet or four through his skull as soon as I finish his quest, then take his rifle.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've run into a bug in Lonesome Road where the Marked Men are non-hostile for some reason. Anybody know how to fix this?

Edit: Fixed with the console. Apparently Delay DLC messes up the faction allegiances.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 31, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

D34THROW posted:

Of course, when I get around to a Legion playthrough, I won't hesitate to put a bullet or four through his skull as soon as I finish his quest, then take his rifle.

Personally, I like having him shoot the wrong person. Crouch up and down over his head a few times after you kill him, too.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know this isn't the modding thread, but you can independently configure the likelihood of NPCs having weapons / letters / recipes if something's really bugging you.

It's not the likelihood, it's the randomness itself. High-end GRA weapons should be limited to bosses and higher level NPCs.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That gold is there for one reason and one reason only: To be piled up on a prominent surface in the base of your choice, to be admired every time you return home. The only thing you're doing wrong is sticking them in a container.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

But then what do I put in my glowing blue wall safe? It's like, the car-with-spinning-rims of the safe world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

But then what do I put in my glowing blue wall safe? It's like, the car-with-spinning-rims of the safe world.

Dog brains, obviously :colbert:

Akalies
May 31, 2000

more friedman units posted:

What about the Pacific Northwest? That would open up very different geography: recovering forests, mountains, iconic cities with ports...

Absolutely. Looking back on it I really enjoyed the change in setting that Fallout 3 brought, and only felt resentment towards it simply because I thought we'd never get another game set on the west coast. I'm willing to try anywhere new, but I sincerely hope they continue to develop the Legion since it felt like they were so robbed by the limited development time of New Vegas.

Fallout 3's set-pieces were far superior to those in New Vegas in my opinion. They may have fumbled the execution a lot (a city built around an live nuke), but they certainly felt rewarding. The elevator ride, and subsequent view from Washington Monument were far superior to uhh... walking up to the Yangtze Memorial and finding some radscorpions.

New Vegas is my favorite game of all time mind you, but the Legion not getting developed more and the weak set-pieces were it's biggest flaws.

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like how Fallout 3 did the DC interior? It's a confusing maze of tiny open areas linked by samey sewer/subway tunnels. It's nigh impossible to navigate and every area looks more or less like every other area except a handful of special areas like the Mall. I thought the DC interior was terrible.

It's interesting how my opinion of it has changed over time. These days I absolutely agree with you, but I was very enamored with it all my first time through. I'm willing to give it a pass since it was Bethesda's first shot at it, but I doubt I'd have very much fun if they repeated that formula. Except the subways/tunnels. That poo poo was simply unacceptable in it's tedium.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 31, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

D34THROW posted:

Somehow I like to imagine that Lily doting on him would almost make him forget his regrets if you completed I Could Make You Care for the survival armor...like he would be happy again.

Is it possible to snipe him from his original sniping position right near the start of the game before you get officially introduced to him? I've always considered the only way I could really deal with a Legion run is to either avoid Boone entirely or kill him before we get a chance to meet and become Fallout-Bros. :smith:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The location of any future game should be close enough to the previous game's location to be able to justify interacting with factions from the the older game while being far enough away to be able to introduce new factions. Do this with every sequel till fallout has been all the way from California to New York and back again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Akalies posted:

Fallout 3's set-pieces were far superior to those in New Vegas in my opinion. They may have fumbled the execution a lot (a city built around an live nuke), but they certainly felt rewarding. The elevator ride, and subsequent view from Washington Monument were far superior to uhh... walking up to the Yangtze Memorial and finding some radscorpions.

The thing about those setpieces is that they're only good once. The elevator ride, liberty prime etc. were totally ignored by me in every playthrough other than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

RiffRaff1138 posted:

That gold is there for one reason and one reason only: To be piled up on a prominent surface in the base of your choice, to be admired every time you return home. The only thing you're doing wrong is sticking them in a container.

Here I always assumed the reason of the gold bars was to hedge against possible bottle cap inflation.