Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

buttopticor posted:

Isn't that what the Prediction (not the "Trending") that pops up after the first few days is? Or did they get rid of that?

By the looks of it, the prediction is just taking the naïve linear calculation stuffed into an equally naïve log function or, at best, trying to make sure the prediction curve's shape matches the actual pledge curve — it still doesn't seem to take into account how projects tend to develop over time, with early and late peaks and a slump inbetween.

I'm thinking about something that's more along the lines of Evidence-based Scheduling: taking into account how accurate previous estimates have been at any given time during a funding round and feeding that information back into the formula for calculating those estimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

buttopticor posted:

That's definitely false, because they have two "predictors". If you go to a page like the kicktraq for Castle Story, you can see four tabs, two of which are labeled "[Exp] Projection" and "[Exp] Trend".

There's not enough data for the "projection" yet for that project, but on something else, like Ouya, clicking the Projection tab shows a different sort of prediction than the "trend" tab.

Huh. Last I was on the site was a month ago so either I missed it, forgot it, or it's new since then. Sorry.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm a little confused on the Castle Story tiers. Do I get the beta when it comes out or do I get a discount on the beta when it becomes available?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm a little confused on the Castle Story tiers. Do I get the beta when it comes out or do I get a discount on the beta when it becomes available?

You straight-up get the beta and the game. I think they got a little English Second Language on the description; they clarified on their twitter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MikeJF posted:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You straight-up get the beta and the game. I think they got a little English Second Language on the description; they clarified on their twitter.
From what I understood, they're following the minecraft model fairly closely: you pay for and get “the game” and all the updates that come after release. If you pay early you get it as early as when it gets a beta release, and the transition from beta to full release is just another update.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Normally it would annoy me, but Knock Knock's mystery tier intrigues me. You just know these guys will come up with something interesting.

In other news Legends of Eisenwald guys sent out retranslated Discord Times . It has pretty surprising file size.

Edit: Died in the tutorial :allears:

Edit 2: Died within 30 seconds of starting a scenario I picked at random. I like this game's spirit.

Mq fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 29, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mq posted:

Edit 2: Died within 30 seconds of starting a scenario I picked at random. I like this game's spirit.

Hah, was it the one where you start out at sea? And all you have is one fighter dude, with every enemy stack being waaaay overpowered?

I'm trying out the 'proper' campaign, and while it is easier going, the fact that you have to pay the goons that follow you from mission to mission, and their pay rises in rank, really limits you to picking just a few dudes (or maybe even a single due) to follow you each mission.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Been following Castle Story for months and was waiting for their Kickstarter, I went out for the week-end and it is already funded. I gave them money anyway.

This looks great and aren't those guys Quebecois (French Canadians?) would explain the approximative English in some description :p

EDIT: The guys behind the game posted a thing on their website : http://www.sauropodstudio.com/kickstarter-diary-number-one/

quote:

In the meantime, We’d like to announce some of the new things we’re going to do with the extra funding. The 80,000$ we had put in as our goal, was really just the bare minimum to keep going for a few months more intil a beta release. But now that we have exceeded that goal, her’s what we plan on doing in the near future:

• We’ve contacted an amazing artist to help out with the posters. Germain had originally planned to paint them himself, but now we can work together with the artist to make the posters much, much more impressive. We really can’t wait to see how that turns out!
  • We would like to hire a professional sound engineer to help us with the ambience of the game. We realize that music is important, but is just a part of the whole audio soundscape. Having a strong ambience and intricate sound effects can really help make the game much more immersive.
  • We will probably hire Thierry (aka. Menekis) officially as Webmaster and Community Manager. He could also even help with the multiplayer since he has some experience in that. Until now, Thierry has been working as a volunteer for free and putting dozens of hours it the website and the Kickstarter campaing. His help has been invaluable and we are really looking forward compensating him for that.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 30, 2012

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Ouya is partnering with Square-Enix apparently, along with news that they're releasing FF3 outside Japan for !the first time ever! that's not on a DS or actually a different game. The original, Famicom version, except with graphics "updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail".

Admittedly, this does make it more interesting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The original, without all the gameplay modifications added to the DS version that were sometimes worse than they were before? Color me interested.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Antitonic posted:

Ouya is partnering with Square-Enix apparently, along with news that they're releasing FF3 outside Japan for !the first time ever! that's not on a DS or actually a different game. The original, Famicom version, except with graphics "updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail".

You mean the android port of FF3 that was released recently and is already on Google Play?

Square shits out so many lovely ports, even if this does happen all they'll do is add some button mappings to the game they already have out and scale it up.

loving poo poo, come on. Square would port Final Fantasy to anything if they thought they could make a profit on it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's still the DS port.

I imagine they mean with new 2D sprite work.

Or the press release is just clunkily worded.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Harlock posted:

That's still the DS port.

I imagine they mean with new 2D sprite work.

I don't see anything to indicate that this is the case. They do mention HD graphics for TV but that probably just means uprezzed assets. Use some common sense, why would they choose 3 to announce for the Ouya? Because they already have an Android version of the game. All they would need to do is throw some uprezzed assets and controller support and they've got a new game. Doesn't really matter, though. This is more of a marketing push than anything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, the wording of that release/update seems to have been distorted the more that the news came out.

"This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Furthermore, I assume (perhaps charitably) that Square Enix has people running who are smart enough to know that the Ouya isn't even a thing but realize that this is literally free advertising for their game as gaming news sites slavishly reprint their press release and point out that the game is already available for sale on your chosen mobile device.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Detective Grimoire is $1105 short with 55 hours left. It seems like a decent little game so I hope they make it! The game is only $4 so they need a couple hundred more backers....

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Antitonic posted:

Didn't they just release FF3 for regular Android, like a couple of weeks ago?
edit: Beaten, but yeah, still not taking that with more than a grain of salt.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Renoistic posted:

Detective Grimoire is $1105 short with 55 hours left. It seems like a decent little game so I hope they make it! The game is only $4 so they need a couple hundred more backers....

Well now they have one more, that looks really cool.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just found the Project Giana Kickstarter. It's a new Giana Sisters game made by a team that used to work for the guy who stole/made the original, and featuring artwork and design made by the guy who worked on the decent Nintendo DS Giana Sisters game. It's PC only. The gimmick is that the sisters have different abilities, and you can change between the sisters at will, and when you do, the background and music do as well. The constant switching of music seems like it might get annoying fast, but I'm a sucker for old-school platformers and the background transformations look awesome.

EDIT: What the hell.

PLEDGE $250 or more (9 backers)
The previous reward tier plus a Giana backer T-shirt (final design will be shown in a future update) with free shipping and your name in the credits. Send us a digital picture of yourself, and you’ll get it back with Giana herself kissing you on the cheek. Cute or punk – your choice. (Inappropriate pictures will need to be resubmitted.)
Est. delivery: Oct 2012

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 31, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Renoistic posted:

PLEDGE $250 or more (9 backers)
The previous reward tier plus a Giana backer T-shirt (final design will be shown in a future update) with free shipping and your name in the credits. Send us a digital picture of yourself, and you’ll get it back with Giana herself kissing you on the cheek. Cute or punk – your choice. (Inappropriate pictures will need to be resubmitted.)
Est. delivery: Oct 2012

Hey, they gotta appeal to the "waifu" crowd somehow.

Game looks interesting - I'll hold off and see how it goes first.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm not gonna lie, if I had 1000 bucks, I'd love a pillowl. I like those owls and a pillowl would own.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Renoistic posted:

Just found the Project Giana Kickstarter. It's a new Giana Sisters game made by a team that used to work for the guy who stole/made the original, and featuring artwork and design made by the guy who worked on the decent Nintendo DS Giana Sisters game. It's PC only. The gimmick is that the sisters have different abilities, and you can change between the sisters at will, and when you do, the background and music do as well. The constant switching of music seems like it might get annoying fast, but I'm a sucker for old-school platformers and the background transformations look awesome.
Wow. That really does look awesome. I have no idea who this Giana is, but I'm a sucker for well done 2.5D platformers, and it looks like it controls really well.

... and those pillowls are definitely the bee's knees.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Renoistic posted:

drat, this game looks almost as pretty as Trine. Take my :10bux:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Great Giana Sisters was a profoundly obvious Super Mario Brothers knockoff for the Commodore 64 and Amiga (and probably many other computers of the era, but not for my precious Atari 8-bit so I never cared). A lot of people claimed that other than being slower than the "real thing" it was still a lot of fun, and there are I think literally hundreds of remixes of the game's music floating around out there, so clearly it resonated with a certain population.

Pillowl.

Edit: "made by the now-deceased founder of our company in the eighties." Oh no :smith:

Edit: but those owls with helmets are the cutest things ever :swoon:

Edit: I am glad I did not tout the Machinae Supremacy remixes all knowledgeable and haughty when they are actually part of the core game and I would have sounded like an idiot.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Giana looks like a legitimately cool game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Quarex posted:

Great Giana Sisters was a profoundly obvious Super Mario Brothers knockoff for the Commodore 64 and Amiga (and probably many other computers of the era, but not for my precious Atari 8-bit so I never cared).

Yep, getting Giana Sisters was the ONLY way for Amiga 500 owners, such as myself, to play something similar to Super Mario without buying this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_%28console%29
Game was really fun and it came on only two 880 kB floppy disks. This remake looks really cool, too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah Project Giana looks pretty loving rad and I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably end up backing it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I backed Giana Sisters. Couldn't resist retro platforming and some sweet music!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There was a remake done on DS a few years back, wasn't there?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

raditts posted:

There was a remake done on DS a few years back, wasn't there?

Yeah and it was really mediocre. Well, so was the original game, so I guess the remake was at least consistent.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
The Moon Intern guys reached their goal with 6 days to go. They posted some stretch goals.

quote:

$40,000: More in-depth character creator. This character creator allows players to design their avatar down to specific attributes rather than just picking from a vast assortment of faces.

$50,000: Co-op Mode: A second player, either local or online can tag along as the soulmate. There will also be additional missions only for co-op mode.

$75,000: Longer Story for initial launch. Right now we’re planning on releasing Moon Intern with around 32 “game daysâ€. If we were to reach this stretch goal, we would like to add something like 20 days giving us a grand total of around 50 days.

$100,000: Multiplayer Battle Mode : If you help us go over this much, then, wow. We wouldn’t even know what to do with it! Well I guess we do. Basically, if we go over this goal, we would be able to get some more people on board to make an amazingly awesome multiplayer battle mode.

$20,000,000,000 : We will finance an actual Moon Colony.

I'm really starting to consider upgrading my pledge and becoming a moon scientist.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That highest stretch goal sounds pretty good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah and it was really mediocre. Well, so was the original game, so I guess the remake was at least consistent.

Yeah, I have a lot of nostalgia for Giana Sisters, but compared to SMB, it wasn't actually a good game and neither was the remake. This one looks really pretty, but there's no way I'm paying up front for it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That highest stretch goal sounds pretty good.

Can we make it in time though? That's the real question.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So the Carmageddon devs started up a closed forum for their kickstarter backers. Has anyone registered and checked out what they've posted there? Anything of interest?

I did back them myself but didn't register because :effort:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I did back them myself but didn't register because :effort:

Hah, same here. I'm not even really interested in being a tester for any of these Kickstarter games I'm supporting. I don't want to burn out playing broken poo poo and then never even play the final. I'm just going to wait until they come out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Not really, to be quite honest. I check maybe once every couple of weeks and nothing interesting has been posted yet.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Renoistic posted:

Neat, a new Klonoa game :)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Renoistic posted:

Machinae Supremacy are lending their skills as well, and it's worth noting their music is pretty drat fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKkmyMKbPKE

They also did the music for the Bionic Commando platformer remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Didn't see it mentioned so I apologize if it was, but Star Command convinced at least 3,408 people to give them an extra 100k to finish their game and port it to PC.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv?ref=home_spotlight

Edit:
Not to sound too much like a jackass, but does anyone else feel kind of insulted over their taking a picture of Bob Ross and overlaying text over it as their advertisement for the Joy of Pixel Art videos?

nessin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 1, 2012