Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What I will say is you're not allowed to top up a wage to the National Minimum Wage in the UK with tips, so all waiting staff here will get $9.55/h minimum. I think this is an excellent practice because a tip is for someone doing an good job, not just turning up. I've not tipped in plenty of places before because the service has been so chronically bad that paying a gratuity would have been ridiculous. On the other hand I've been places with really exemplary service, like 21212 here in Edinburgh.

I really don't understand this concept of 'oh you must tip because they're poorly paid' No I don't. If they want a tip they can make sure I have a nice experience in their restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Please, kill the tipchat already. It gets ugly really fast.

Jenkin posted:

Dino, did you have a chance to go to the Reading Terminal Market? It's fun to wander around. Crowded as all get out though.

I'm going to be back in Delaware for a few days soon and I am looking forward to stocking up on Dogfish Head's brown honey rum. Also, crabs.

I went to Reading Terminal Market last time I was there, and really enjoyed the variety of veg I could find, however, I find the crowds to be obnoxious. This time, my friend who lives in Chestnut Hill was driving. So we'd pass by like a bunch of farmer's stands all over the place. There would be little mini shops, the size of my apartment, packed high with local produce, without the crowds, and extremely friendly people.

I found that I preferred shopping at those places, rather than the Reading Market Terminal. Mind, I don't fear crowds, but I do like a bit less frenzy when I'm looking to grab a few local veg, as opposed to a bunch of tourists standing around "just looking" at the stuff I'm loving trying to buy. Get the crap out of the way!

And the bread store! Holy cow, the bread store! There's this bread store called Baker Street Bread Company. They had all kinds of awesome bread for really cheap. Their credit card minimum was like $10, which I easily hit and surpassed. And they slice the loaves for me right there before packing it away. :D

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Can there possibly be a better bottled barbecue sauce than Stubbs? I smoked a pork shoulder and while I only cold-smoked it for six hours with an improperly developed pellicle and it was a really cheap pig this sauce is working wonders.

Aramoro posted:

I really don't understand this concept of 'oh you must tip because they're poorly paid' No I don't. If they want a tip they can make sure I have a nice experience in their restaurant.
It just works differently in the States. Your food's cheaper over here on average (in part because of this) so just add about a 12% bare, bare minimum tip (for bad service), with average service being 18%, and good being above that. It's a different country, and these cultural differences aren't really about logic. Restauranteurs who actually have power (Achatz, Keller, other 3-stars) are trying to change the system so you're not alone. I mean our health care sucks too.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

No Wave posted:

Can there possibly be a better bottled barbecue sauce than Stubbs?

Sweet Baby Ray's. But no bottled sauce can stand up to good home-made sauce, of course.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sweet Baby Ray's. But no bottled sauce can stand up to good home-made sauce, of course.
I've been trying to work up a good food/life balance.

Do you have a preferred BBQ sauce recipe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've never really come up with one to compare with a lot of the sauces others have made, to be honest. But then, I don't really do much BBQ at home - that's something I do at other people's places or I go out to eat. Good BBQ is good as hell, but I normally stick to Latin American style stuff when I'm working on the grill at home.

But you know, MY GIRLFRIEND has a really kickass family recipe that I'll see if I can get from her. There's something about being a Texan that predisposes people to being able to make BBQ I think.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I make bbq sauce, I don't use a recipe, it's just add and taste until I get it where I like it. But the gist of it is:

Whole crushed tomatoes
cider vinegar
molasses
brown sugar
garlic and onion powder
cayenne
black pepper (i think)
mustard powder
l&p

cook it down and taste, reseason, retaste, etc until I'm happy with it. Push through a chinois then add a little liquid smoke. Liguid smoke seems to be volatile (which makes sense), so if you add it early and then cook it, all the smoke taste will be gone, so just wait until the end.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's not BBQ sauce without whiskey, dijon, and liquid (mesquite) smoke in there somewhere.

Recipe we use at work is like:

2 750ml bottles of Jack
4 qts rough chopped shallots
1 qt rough chopped garlic
1 gal Worcestershire
3 qts apple cider vin
1 qt dijon
1 qt tomato paste
8 lbs brown sugar
4 no.10 cans diced tomatoes
1c liquid smoke

sweat shallots/garlic, add mustard/tomato paste, cook 3-5min. deglaze w/ Jack. Reduce by 1/2. Add vin and worcestershire. Reduce by 1/2 again. transfer to steam kettle. Add sugar and tomatoes, simmer 1 hour. Add liquid smoke. Yield is ~5gal.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 31, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok well that's my recipe for what every loving person in the world would call bbq sauce except for the guy above me.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Havn't been able to find liquid smoke here..

I just use Lagavulin

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I do pretty much FGR's recipe, but fish sauce instead of L&P.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I use cheap yellow mustard from a bottle, a shitload of brown sugar, some red wine or (sometimes sherry or marsala), a small mortarful of crushed up peppercorns, garlic, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, red pepper flakes, and salt.
I have a tube of fish paste, a tube of tomato paste, a bottle of liquid smoke, and a bottle of sriracha there at the end when it's finishing up.
I'll throw in a splash of worcestershire if it can be a little thinner and saltier.

And almost every time, if the color isn't quite right, or it needs to be a little sweeter, I just dump a couple blobs of Sweet Baby Ray's in at the end.

But last night I just used bourbon, honey, sriracha, cider vinegar, and crushed up cherries, saltandpepper, and that was awesome. I might have splashed some triple sec in there too.

Happy Hat posted:

Havn't been able to find liquid smoke here..

I just use Lagavulin
A friend of mine just turned me on to oysters, chilled, just-shucked, with splash of Scotch.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

...1 gal Worcestershire
Whoah.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 31, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Here is the one true BBQ Sauce:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Very Strange Things posted:

And almost every time, if the color isn't quite right, or it needs to be a little sweeter, I just dump a couple blobs of Sweet Baby Ray's in at the end.

Yo dawg I heard you like BBQ sauce

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've posted my approach to bbq sauce about a million times. Seems like this is a subject that should wind up in the wiki as a `here are the basics, here are the variations' things with a bunch of the collected individual recipes that have been posted over the years.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just made a very nice bbq sauce with the leftover stock from a coq au vin as a base. Turned out really well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I've posted my approach to bbq sauce about a million times. Seems like this is a subject that should wind up in the wiki as a `here are the basics, here are the variations' things with a bunch of the collected individual recipes that have been posted over the years.
If people don't insist on the One True Sauce how are we to have any fun?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yo dawg I heard you like BBQ sauce

I just don't usually have corn syrup on hand.

edit: Oh, right, here's some barbecue sauce to put in your barbecue sauce...

Reminds me though, another common "barbecue sauce" I make is just cooking down whatever my braising liquid was and adding SBR's HFCS BBQ sauce to it.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 31, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

With regards to line-cooks being envious of the better conditions of the serving people - well... A large part of the experience of dining somewhere is the experience and atmosphere that the host is able to create, and instead of being jealous of their wage, if yours is too low, the answer isn't lowering someone elses to make yours seem higher, that would actually not really make any kind of sense, at all, anywhere, ever.

I realize that this is a GROSS oversimplification, but if you total the money spent inside of a restaurant and get a number, M you can figure out what % of M goes to food cost, labor wages, profit for the house, and how much was spent tipping a server. Your total pool of money is M no matter how it's divided because you can't pay employees with money customers didn't spend. If wages go up, the money has to come from somewhere, and the restaurant is hungry for a way to make it come from "not profits."

edit: just reread what I quoted from you and the active word is "seems," if you're saying that simply reducing server wages does nothing for kitchen staff I agree; what I am saying is that the percentage of our fake number M that is paid to servers and cooks should better reflect that food is AT LEAST as important as service when dining out in restaurants, especially higher-ticket places.

bartolimu posted:

The world would be a better place if there weren't tip-dependent jobs.

or this. I have no problem with tipping in principle, but I do have a problem with the structure of a system that allows the argument that they are depending on the tips for survival, yet the tip is also supposed to be dependent on my experience/the service I receive.

I think an overall better system would be to pay servers the same minimum wage that all other professions get, paired with a sweeping social change that makes tipping more dependent on the actual service and not on empathy for an underpaid employee.

The secret to BBQ sauce is pork drippings, and smoke (whether from real wood, liquid smoke, smoked paprika etc.) everything else is pretty mutable.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 31, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

My only point is that getting a lovely wage is not mitigated by the fact that someone else is getting a lovely wage too, and hence the focus should never be on what other people from a different profession are getting, or wether that is fair in comparison, but on what you, yourself is getting, and if that is fair compared to your peers, and the profit that you're generating for the business.

Focus on making the pie larger, not everybody else's pieces smaller. Generate more profit, receive larger remuneration. Focusing on what others are getting will bring nothing but unhappiness.

This of course coming from absolutely no experience in the industry, but a lot of experience with wage negotiation.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

... Also it is amazing the things that you have to do in a wage negotiation to get people to reveal their preferences. I once had to instigate a wage negotiation as a dutch auction setting to get the employee in question to stop procrastinating, and start talking money, this was 1 hour into a review that should have taken 10 minutes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Here is the one true BBQ Sauce:

And if you need those ingredients ForTheGourmet.com will give you 25% off your order with this code until August 15: TheFoodLabSentMe

Mods: I don't make any money from them, I'm not affiliated with them, just passing on a deal. I bought a molecular gastronomy kit from them a year or so ago.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

dino. posted:

So we'd pass by like a bunch of farmer's stands all over the place. There would be little mini shops, the size of my apartment, packed high with local produce, without the crowds, and extremely friendly people.

Poking around Amish country makes for a great Philly day trip; there's lots of awesome markets. I especially like the random farmstands and people selling homemade root beer and so forth on the roadside. Just don't go on a Sunday or any kind of Christian holiday.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
bbq sauce : proper cooking technique & salt :colbert:

but if I take my 'born in texas' hat off,

bbq sauce : cider vinegar, splash of dry rub you used on meat, dark brown sugar, splash of fish sauce, lots of cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

mindphlux posted:

bbq sauce : proper cooking technique & salt :colbert:

Aww, c'mon, beef ribs need some black pepper too.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Holy balls and I've been busy at work. What's been going on in this wonderful exciting land that I call my pretend friend headquarters?

Anybody want a short course on how to run vertical form fill seal equipment, I'm your guy.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

NosmoKing posted:

Anybody want a short course on how to run vertical form fill seal equipment, I'm your guy.

Look if I wanted advice on how to use a tampon, I would have asked.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Yay food poisoning! I don't know whether to blame that last meal in NOLA, the Houston Wendy's, or my local noodle shop (probably the noodle shop). On the plus side, I know what bloody stool looks like now.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Yay food poisoning! I don't know whether to blame that last meal in NOLA, the Houston Wendy's, or my local noodle shop (probably the noodle shop). On the plus side, I know what bloody stool looks like now.

Perhaps this then is the opportunity for NosmoKing to demonstrate?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Know who used to make and bottle Sweet Baby Ray's??

That's right, this guy right here.

That, plus about 300+ other BBQ specialty sauces.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Congratulations. You get a BBQ flavored cookie.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Congratulations. You get a BBQ flavored cookie.

Could that work with BBQ as a "Frosting" and a mostly unsweetened shortbread as the cookie. I doubt it would be good by any means, but would it be edible?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a terrible idea.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A cracklin's a cookie.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I'm about to take I-70 from Utah to Virginia. What and where should I eat along the way?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm about to take I-70 from Utah to Virginia. What and where should I eat along the way?

Roadkill cooked in the engine compartment of your car.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

Roadkill cooked in the engine compartment of your car.
With Waffle House for dessert.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Der Waffle Haus is where all of the cool Grim Reapers hang out. :colbert:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Who was it that mangled their thumb in a stick blender trying to clean out hummus without unplugging it? I think about you every time I use my stick blender. I make sure to only keep it plugged in if I am going to use it immediately and unplug it as soon as I am done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thummus did it.