Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

(How do I make hidden apps in the dock transparent?)

I normally have TinkerTool installed anyway (RIP double arrows at both ends of the scollbar) but it's

defaults write com.apple.Dock showhidden -bool YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottus
Jul 31, 2012
I was pretty excited for Airplay Mirroring to the Apple TV in the living room, but my Apple TV isn't showing up as a detected device. Do I have to have a certain minimum generation of ATV?

Also, 2 more things. I'm getting a "Mount Notification has quit unexpectedly" thing every time I start up since I updated to ML. And also, having an iMessage show up on both my computer and iPhone is a bit annoying. If I have a Messages window open, how about iMessages don't show up on my phone :colbert:

scottus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 31, 2012

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

Sonic Dude posted:

That's actually good to know. We've had a couple of customers do similar things, and generally we just chmod -r 777 /, then reinstall the OS, then repair the home directory ACLs. It takes a little while, but it's always done OK.

Yeah, it seems to have returned everything to normal. I'll post if it turns out it did anything screwy.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any Retina Mac owners that use Windows periodically? Trying to decide whether I want to go the Bootcamp or VMWare route.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Small White Dragon posted:

Any Retina Mac owners that use Windows periodically? Trying to decide whether I want to go the Bootcamp or VMWare route.
Depends entirely on what you're doing in Windows. I've found normal computer usage in VMs is excellent (the Windows 7 VM on my work MBPR is faster than my old C2D Dell Optiplex although that's mainly the SSD) but if you're doing anything graphically intensive like CAD or heavy Photoshop work it'll chug and I'd probably recommend against virtualisation.

If you're thinking about Windows games Bootcamp is your only real option as you'll run into limitations with the amount of video RAM VMs can use.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

I'm running Windows 8 in Bootcamp and use that partition in Parallels. It killed off the function keys in Windows after installing Parallels, but everything else is perfect. I get the feeling that the issue will resolve itself if I reinstall the Bootcamp drivers but I haven't had time to redownload them yet.

To be honest, the thing flies in Windows 8. I almost prefer it to Mountain Lion. If you have bad eyesight it's probably going to annoy you running in 2800x1800, but with the DPI set to 150% it's perfectly fine for me.

I haven't had a ton of luck running games in Parallels - Skyrim runs 'okay' with some random stuttering here and there, whereas in Windows native I run in 1680x1050 ultra settings at 60fps, give or take.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

DiskWarrior is the go-to 3rd party disk utility I think, but it's going to cost you.

Can you get S.M.A.R.T diagnostics over firewire? I would probably start by checking out "SMART Utility". It's payware but I think they have a free demo version.
Don't think you can get SMART over anything but SATA (and maybe USB 3).

scottus posted:

I was pretty excited for Airplay Mirroring to the Apple TV in the living room, but my Apple TV isn't showing up as a detected device. Do I have to have a certain minimum generation of ATV?

Also, 2 more things. I'm getting a "Mount Notification has quit unexpectedly" thing every time I start up since I updated to ML. And also, having an iMessage show up on both my computer and iPhone is a bit annoying. If I have a Messages window open, how about iMessages don't show up on my phone :colbert:
Pretty sure you need a 2nd or 3rd gen ATV (the little black box), and computer wise you need at least a 2011 machine (aka one of the Sandy Bridge models).

No clue on "Mount Notification" but I guess check your login items and launch daemons.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Really enjoying Mountain Lion. I'm not sure if it's because Lion was incredibly slow on my 2008 iMac but this feels much faster, especially Safari.

One slightly cool thing I've discovered is that the new 'searchable' Launchpad will filter apps beginning with the same first letter in the order that you sort them, not alphabetically. Combined with a keyboard shortcut, this gives you a very basic Quicksilver-like application launcher. I've mapped Launchpad to option-space, so I hit:

option-space + P + enter

and Photoshop opens! Because it's first in my list, it appears ahead of, say, PDF Pen, which means I can make a simple little custom launcher really quickly and easily without running 3rd party software. I know it's not much different than using Spotlight, but I like that it's more visual.

Ignem
Oct 30, 2011

Just wondering if any of you guys can help me with something. I did a clean install of ML on my MBP, all's working perfectly but I'm wondering how you'd go about re-installing iWork. I had downloaded it off the apple website before they implemented the app store. I'v looked in my account details, and as expected it doesn't show up there.
They've removed the "Trial" version which is what I'v used to previously to re-download, then just use my existing serial key to register it.
There seems to be no solution obvious to me so far, any help would be appreciated.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

scottus posted:

I was pretty excited for Airplay Mirroring to the Apple TV in the living room, but my Apple TV isn't showing up as a detected device. Do I have to have a certain minimum generation of ATV:

I use ATV gen2. Mae sure it's fully updated and reboot the laptop and ATV.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

scottus posted:

If you have the black puck ATV check for an update, mine needed one before it started to show up in AirPlay Mirroring.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

Bootcamp is much better than VMWare! Bootcamp runs it native, it'll work much better.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I went over to check on my lab this morning, and all but 3 of the 21 Macs were crashed. The culprit? Adobe Flash auto updater. gently caress you Adobe. I'm not installing Flash Player on anything this fall.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

ptier posted:

If you have the black puck ATV check for an update, mine needed one before it started to show up in AirPlay Mirroring.

Thanks, that worked

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

mayodreams posted:

I went over to check on my lab this morning, and all but 3 of the 21 Macs were crashed. The culprit? Adobe Flash auto updater. gently caress you Adobe. I'm not installing Flash Player on anything this fall.

Once I took the advice of this thread and left Flash to only Chrome which has it built in, I came to realize just how much of a resource hog flash is. Chrome is routinely pegging my Activity Monitor.

Also my lack of annoying ads in other browsers is really nice.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kapalama posted:

Once I took the advice of this thread and left Flash to only Chrome which has it built in, I came to realize just how much of a resource hog flash is. Chrome is routinely pegging my Activity Monitor.

Also my lack of annoying ads in other browsers is really nice.

This is on 8 and 12 core Mac Pros, so resources aren't really an issue. I never had a problem with the older version, but the new one checks for an update on login and then hangs, and won't allow a logout, restart, shutdown. I have Chrome on the machines to help alleviate this, but I'm done with this technology that needs to die faster.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

No. 6 posted:

I hope this is the best place to post this.

I currently have an iMac with a 256GB SSD (~155GB partitioned for OSX). All of my media (music, movies, films, vacations pics, etc) are stored on a separate external 1TB USB HDD. I also use TimeMachine to backup my PC plus my media drive on a separate HDD.

I was thinking about buying a WesterDigital 6TB My Book to consolidate my Media and backups, but I'm trying to be as efficient as possible. Since TimeMachine will continue filling its backup drive until full I was thinking that I should buy the 6TB drive, set it up as a RAID1, and partition 500GB for TimeMachine and just dump all of my media on the remaining 2.5TB. That way I have the media covered via RAID1 and the OSX stuff covered (although redundantly) via TimeMachine.

RAID 1 is not backup, RAID 1 is so that you can keep on trucking should a disk fail. If this is family photos and poo poo, you really want a backup.

The problem with RAID, and I have seen this happen before, is when the data gets corrupted. You now have two perfect copies of corrupted data. Or when someone accidentally deletes something, doesn't notice for two weeks, and then it gets overwritten. Or when the boot records gets toasted and mirrors over. etc. etc.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Begby posted:

RAID 1 is not backup, RAID 1 is so that you can keep on trucking should a disk fail. If this is family photos and poo poo, you really want a backup.

The problem with RAID, and I have seen this happen before, is when the data gets corrupted. You now have two perfect copies of corrupted data. Or when someone accidentally deletes something, doesn't notice for two weeks, and then it gets overwritten. Or when the boot records gets toasted and mirrors over. etc. etc.
RAID is not backup, period. RAID is redundancy and fault-tolerance.

Backups should be done regardless of the environment you operate in. The more the merrier, have on-site and off-site backups. Image your desktops/laptops and servers.

It's 2012. There is no excuse left to not have a backup system in place.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
This may be old, but everyone who uses Windows through Bootcamp should do this on their Mac.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/834252-howto-make-windows-7-use-a-good-mac-color-profile/

"Throughout the Windows 7 beta, one thing that put me off a little bit was the poor color that I got by default, and even after using Windows to calibrate my display.

So I set out to fix it. Here's the steps I took. Keep in mind this is easier if you have the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers installed, as you'll be using the color profile generated for you by Mac OS X, and with Boot Camp 3.0 you don't need to get the profile off your other partition via a flash drive/email/upload/whatever.

1) Open up your Macintosh HD via "Computer", and browse to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays
2) You should see a color profile of some sort there. If you do not, try looking in /Users/<your home directory>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/. You may need to generate a color profile via the Mac OS X system preferences - see below
3) Right click on this color profile and select "Install Profile". You can now close your Mac HD.
4) Open the Control Panel, click "Adjust Screen Resolution", and click "Advanced Settings"
5) Select the "Color Management" tab, and click the "Color Management" button that appears.
6) Alternatively, just type "color management" into the Start menu and select it from the search pane. (thanks Danrarbc!)
7) Click the "Advanced" tab, and click the "Change System Defaults" button.
8) Click the "Advanced" tab in the new window that appears
9) Ensure that the "Use Windows display calibration" checkbox is checked
10) Select the "Devices" tab in this window again.
11) Click the "Add" button and select the color profile you installed from your Mac partition.
12) Click "OK"
13) Now, select the color profile from the list.
14) Click the "Set as default profile" button, on the bottom right.
15) Your display should now brighten and lose the heavy blue tinge that has plagued you for months, or even years if you used Vista.

You may not need to complete all the steps, but I did. It really does make the Windows experience on a MacBook much nicer, and the same should apply to an iMac or any Mac with an integrated display. I believe Windows can figure out external displays without problem, but don't quote me there...

Share your experiences here! I have no doubt that this guide will not work for everyone, but the guide I found didn't do everything for me (see here, thanks to whoever did that).

And happy proper color support!"

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

scottus posted:

Bootcamp is much better than VMWare! Bootcamp runs it native, it'll work much better.

That's a ridiculously narrow-minded opinion with zero information. BootCamp is not "better" than VMWare, it's an entirely different beast.

Yes, BootCamp can start a native Windows installation natively but you also lose the ability to run Mac OS stuff simultaneously. VMWare can run Windows alongside Mac OS, but yes it takes a somewhat significant performance hit. You have to weigh the pros and cons based on what you're trying to accomplish, not just blanket the entire argument with a stupid "OMG BOOTCAMP IS TOTALLY BETTER LOL" kind of statement.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Accipiter posted:

That's a ridiculously narrow-minded opinion with zero information. BootCamp is not "better" than VMWare, it's an entirely different beast.

Yes, BootCamp can start a native Windows installation natively but you also lose the ability to run Mac OS stuff simultaneously. VMWare can run Windows alongside Mac OS, but yes it takes a somewhat significant performance hit. You have to weigh the pros and cons based on what you're trying to accomplish, not just blanket the entire argument with a stupid "OMG BOOTCAMP IS TOTALLY BETTER LOL" kind of statement.

The gently caress? I didn't see any lols in his post. He said "it'll work much better." There's an ambiguity to that statement, but if you're talking about performance - which is the most likely interpretation - there's no argument that Boot Camp works much better.

Ease up buddy.

e: Anyway you should use Boot Camp because - I know Parallels does this, I assume VMWare does as well - you can load your Boot Camp install as a Virtual Machine within OS X, giving you the best possible solution to doing whatever the heck you want.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Yes because the fact that "LOL" was missing from the post completely negates my point. :rolleyes:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Lexicon posted:

Is anyone else incredibly annoyed by the syncing behaviour on Messages if you've had a conversation on iOS prior to waking a MacBook from sleep? You open the lid, and all you hear is "zoom... zoom... zoom.. zooom!" as the notifications come in for the conversation that's already happened.

How did they ever think this is a good idea? Is there a way to turn it off, short of setting the notification sound to none?

Yeah, messages is essentially useless. No matter what I try, messages never seem to go to all my devices. Depending on the phase of the moon, messages will either go to my laptop, or my phone, but almost never both. And there seems to be zero syncing of conversations, so whatever I send someone on my phone doesn't show up on my laptop. What is the point? How are grandma's going to figure this out?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Manky posted:

e: Anyway you should use Boot Camp because - I know Parallels does this, I assume VMWare does as well - you can load your Boot Camp install as a Virtual Machine within OS X, giving you the best possible solution to doing whatever the heck you want.

I don't think either Parallels or VMWare supports suspending/resuming a VM backed by BootCamp. That's a pretty big deal.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: Boot Camp vs virtualization, do Macs still suck under Windows in terms of power management? That's one thing to keep in mind if you plan to run Windows but don't necessarily need full native performance. Otherwise while you can run a BC volume in one of the virtualization apps, drive performance is reduced iirc (although may not be a big deal with a SSD).

I do all virtualization myself just for the convenience/flexibility, I can move the VM around and back it up (and restore) easily, and don't have to gently caress with drive formatting or anything.

Ignem Aeternem posted:

Just wondering if any of you guys can help me with something. I did a clean install of ML on my MBP, all's working perfectly but I'm wondering how you'd go about re-installing iWork. I had downloaded it off the apple website before they implemented the app store. I'v looked in my account details, and as expected it doesn't show up there.
They've removed the "Trial" version which is what I'v used to previously to re-download, then just use my existing serial key to register it.
There seems to be no solution obvious to me so far, any help would be appreciated.
There's a link to someone's Box page with it here: http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewtopic.php?t=105&mforum=iworktipsntrick

...that said I don't know who that is, and one of the trojans a while back was distributed through purported iWork disk images :tinfoil:. If you're paranoid and/or don't have some virus checker I think I still have the trial image somewhere, if so I can put it up on on my Dropbox and mail you the link.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Apologies if this has already been covered, but a quick search didn't reveal anything...

Just upgraded to 10.8, and text looks way heavier (blacker) on certain web sites in Chrome and Safari. Did they change the way font smoothing works? Something about the new display back-end for retina support? Any way to adjust this?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

System Preferences > General has a "use LCD font smoothing" box, maybe try toggling that? They didn't change anything about font smoothing, but OS X for a while has had an issue where it won't recognize some external monitors as LCDs and refuse to use sub-pixel antialiasing on them regardless of that setting. Perhaps Mountain Lion fixed that.

(Of course, if you're just using a computer with an internal display, ignore me)

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

carry on then posted:

System Preferences > General has a "use LCD font smoothing" box, maybe try toggling that? They didn't change anything about font smoothing, but OS X for a while has had an issue where it won't recognize some external monitors as LCDs and refuse to use sub-pixel antialiasing on them regardless of that setting. Perhaps Mountain Lion fixed that.

(Of course, if you're just using a computer with an internal display, ignore me)

Tried toggling that. I can see a minor difference; it is using subpixel smoothing, but that doesn't affect the heaviness. (It's an external HP LCD, a fancy IPS panel one.)

Maybe I'll try loving with the monitor color profile.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 31, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone missing keyword searching from Chrome or whatever Safari hacks, apparently there's an extension!:
http://safarikeywordsearch.aurlien.net/
Haven't tried it yet but supposedly it works with Safari 6.

ryangs posted:

Tried toggling that. I can see a minor difference; it is using subpixel smoothing, but that doesn't affect the heaviness. (It's an external HP LCD, a fancy IPS panel one.)

It might have affected the level of smoothing, like before there were four levels: off, light, medium, and strong. Once they switched to the "best for display" setup or whatever it generally defaulted to off for third party displays regardless of display type, maybe check out how it looks when off. (might have to restart apps to see a difference, that was how it worked before at least)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ryangs posted:

Try

code:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
which will change the font smoothing to the old "Light" level. As mentioned, you'll have to quit and restart apps (or logout and back in) to see the change.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

carry on then posted:

Try

code:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
which will change the font smoothing to the old "Light" level. As mentioned, you'll have to quit and restart apps (or logout and back in) to see the change.

Nailed it! Thanks.

Turned out I probably didn't have subpixel smoothing on previously. It's on now, but it looks good with the "light" level. Restarting apps definitely helps too; I didn't realize I would have to do that, because the changes take effect immediately in the System Prefs dialog when you toggle the setting.

not now
Aug 23, 2008
So for the last few weeks, I'm having frequent kernel panics on my Late 2011 MBP, up to several times a day. The first time I can remember was when trying Spotify for Mac, and ever since then there's been more or less random crashes. I have the feeling that the crashing gets worse when the machine gets hot, but that purely anectodal. Oh and I switched RAM to see if that was causing it, but it didn't help anything.

About a month ago, it would crash reproducably when opening Adium, Skype and a few other programs, so I took the thing to a Apple Store, and they told me that they don't think its an hardware problem, and that I should just reinstall the system. They fixed the immediate problem by resetting PRAM, so that's what I've been doing after each crash for the last few weeks. Anyway, I figured I'd listen to them and do a clean install, but wanted to wait for Mountain Lion and then just set up a fresh system.

I'm trying to do the clean ML install right now, but I obviously need to back up my poo poo before I do that. Unfortunately, a few days ago it kernel panicked during time machine backup, and my backup disk is now in a unreadable state that can not be repaired even when booting from the recovery partition. Trying it again with a different disk, but it still kernel panics during backup all the time, so it takes ages do actually complete, plus I'm not really sure how much I can trust the backup to be in a sound state.

I'm a happy mac user for several years, but this is just pissing me off. The machine is basically unusable in its current state. I don't have the nerve to do full-backup-plus-system-reinstall everytime my computer decides to gently caress up. This is exactly why I was so glad to leave Windows behind and be in happy hassle-free Apple land. But now its all wrong again.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I guess I just need to vent. Plus there's a vague hope that anybody might have an idea on what else to try. My current plan is to somehow get that drat backup finished, then do the install, and at the first kernel panic under Mountain Lion go back to the Apple Store and demand a replacement machine.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
So is there a way to disable the restoring windows when you restart? I can't find the option anymore. It's not in General, like the internet seems to say.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thoom posted:

I don't think either Parallels or VMWare supports suspending/resuming a VM backed by BootCamp. That's a pretty big deal.
I'm also pretty sure that you can't snapshot or rollback your BootCamp partition.

I'm curious: the guys who are arguing that BootCamp is always better than a VM, do you actually own a RMBP or have you used a VM that's running on a computer with a SSD? Small White Dragon asked specifically about the RMBP and running VMs on SSDs makes them just as fast as BootCamp for stuff that doesn't require a lot of video memory or 3D graphics performance.

jwoven posted:

So is there a way to disable the restoring windows when you restart? I can't find the option anymore. It's not in General, like the internet seems to say.
If you're talking about restoring windows when restarting the computer, you'll get the option when you actually go to log out, restart or shutdown. If you just mean within applications, the option is still in General and it's called 'Close windows when quitting an application' in Mountain Lion.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Anyone having problems with Messages not syncing up, make sure you're using the same Apple ID for iMessaging on all the devices. I know this sounds obvious, but if you have a separate Apple ID for purchases, that one might be registered on one or more of the devices.

I ended up setting them all to my @me address and it's been working flawlessly for me.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I'm curious: the guys who are arguing that BootCamp is always better than a VM, do you actually own a RMBP or have you used a VM that's running on a computer with a SSD? Small White Dragon asked specifically about the RMBP and running VMs on SSDs makes them just as fast as BootCamp for stuff that doesn't require a lot of video memory or 3D graphics performance.

On my RMBP I've been using Win8 preview in Parallels for playing a few games like Tropico 4 and Silent Hunter 4. I've also been using XSI once in a while via Parallels, so the GPU performance in a VM is quite usable. I've not used too many other apps but I'm pretty sure they'd be fine. :confused:

I tried bootcamp back on Lion and wasn't really a fan since the trackpad drivers suck and operate completely differently than in osx.

This may be more of a Windows question but it's bootcamp specific: In parallels I switch the alt and control button around so the Win key is on alt and acts like a regular keyboard. This is easy in Parallels as I can just remap it using the Parallels config, but is there a nice way I can switch these buttons around in bootcamp with windows native? The shortcuts I use all day will give me some sort of RSI if I can't change these keys around.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tuna posted:

This may be more of a Windows question but it's bootcamp specific: In parallels I switch the alt and control button around so the Win key is on alt and acts like a regular keyboard. This is easy in Parallels as I can just remap it using the Parallels config, but is there a nice way I can switch these buttons around in bootcamp with windows native? The shortcuts I use all day will give me some sort of RSI if I can't change these keys around.

If you go into the Boot Camp control panel in Windows (through the system tray) there's an option to switch keys just like you're looking for.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody else having freezes in VLC 2.0.3 on Mountain Lion? When I click on a video it loads but freezes on startup. Uninstalling it and trashing related support files don't seem to fix the problem.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
Help - I have a late 2009 Mini (8 GB RAM - Intel SSD hard drive are the only upgrades).

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion (upgrade in place), the fan has not stopped spinning at full speed.

This is what I've done so far:

1) Reset SMC per directions on Apple Support site
2) Reset PRAM (I know, I know....)
3) Checked for odd processes - Minimal CPU use and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary

The fan on this machine has only turned off 3 or 4 times since I first purchased it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: iStat shows 85 C for the Hard Drive bay temp monitor.....Bad sensor? If so, can I just remove it?

Zoodpipe fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

unruly posted:

RAID is not backup, period. RAID is redundancy and fault-tolerance.

Backups should be done regardless of the environment you operate in. The more the merrier, have on-site and off-site backups. Image your desktops/laptops and servers.

It's 2012. There is no excuse left to not have a backup system in place.

RAther than Mozy as backup for family pictures. DropBox makes more sense because it is easier to share whatever, and a bunch of people can all throw pictures in to a web folder that all can see.