Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Jelly posted:

I think in general this is pretty good advice but my fresh game I dug straight down to y=12 and started stripping and exploring caves and I've found like 20 diamonds strip mining and maybe 12 throughout the caves system.

But I've also found more diamonds than iron so far so I think I'm getting extra lucky.
Well I tested my own theory and it was poo poo - zero diamonds for excavating two lava pits, but I did find three in a wall nearby. So don't take my advice. Except now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Arrath posted:

It has held true as far as my experience goes. Just explore mineshafts and ravines enough and you'll come across lots of iron/gold/diamond veins that have been cut down to 1 or 2 blocks by being replaced with air.

I've found that when combined with enchanted picks, branch mining can yield ridiculous amounts of diamond, coal, and other minerals. I usually build a staircase down to a depth of 11 or 12, then dig two tunnels 2x2 in either direction, creating branch hallways 1 block wide every 4 blocks. I have two of them on Mehcraft and they aren't even like MASSIVE mines, but with fortune 3 picks I've picked up around 120 diamond and probably 500-600 coal. I haven't even touched a large portion of one of the mines.

I don't even mess with caves in order to find resources. It takes too long and you find too little in the way of diamond to make it worth your while unless you like exploring and possibly getting killed A LOT.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

fondue posted:

Well I tested my own theory and it was poo poo - zero diamonds for excavating two lava pits, but I did find three in a wall nearby. So don't take my advice. Except now.

Lava pits has no relation to diamonds except that they are both found by the same depth.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I know that now :(

Meanwhile at Mojang ...
Oh god this would be awesome! I'd love to be able to arm Zombies! Maybe he'll do skeletons, too?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile at Mojang...

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

fondue posted:

Meanwhile at Mojang ...

Oh god this would be awesome! I'd love to be able to arm Zombies! Maybe he'll do skeletons, too?

This better happen. A zombie with an iron sword would be great.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

DR AIDS posted:

This better happen. A zombie with an iron sword would be great.
Skeleton kings, complete with golden crown and all.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

pseudorandom name posted:

Meanwhile at Mojang...

That would be annoying, actually. I would imagine that, unless you're thoroughly babysitting, an entire village could be turned to zombies without you even noticing. Even if a couple manage to survive, they don't breed very fast, I've often had villages completely die just from the occasional death from not getting inside in time or wandering off accidentally.

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
I'm looking for a seed with a nice, big, roomy cave system near spawn. Can anyone suggest a seed that would provide me with this?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Raizor posted:

Yeah, it's every 6. Torches are light level 14, which falls one level every block out (so, two diagonally), so six torch-free spaces in between every torch in a grid will light everything up. The straight horizontal space between torches will have lighting overlap, but it will just manage to light up the centers of each "square" of torches, preventing monsters.

The solution is to stagger the rows of torches to get maximum efficiency.

With this layout, nothing is darker than 8, and there's only one block of overlap, and only on the axis of the row. :engleft:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Since I downloaded the pre-release last week, I've been working on making a Castle and a town that would fit with the naturally spawned village nearby. Having a wooden palisade was the initial idea that I started with, since you can have rotated logs now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like finding an existing village and making improvements. I finally finished the minecart track (more or less) from my original house and moved all my stuff to the village I found. I'd also stopped along the way to explore a cave system/mine and shipped all that stuff to the village as well, so now I have 3 appropriated houses stocked with chests full of stuff for building. Today I cut down some sand hills and leveling things up, and plotted out where the wall will go with torches. The last time I did this, I got caught up in building a great big house for myself first and never got around to the village improvements I'd planned, so this time I'm going to work on the village first.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
With the LAN connectivity coming to 1.3 is there a way or will be a way for say my nephew to connect to my PC to play on my world? I'd love to be able to share my world with one other person without having to pay for a server. (I already pay for one for me and a bunch of friends to play on.)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ed Mungo posted:

I like finding an existing village and making improvements. I finally finished the minecart track (more or less) from my original house and moved all my stuff to the village I found. I'd also stopped along the way to explore a cave system/mine and shipped all that stuff to the village as well, so now I have 3 appropriated houses stocked with chests full of stuff for building. Today I cut down some sand hills and leveling things up, and plotted out where the wall will go with torches. The last time I did this, I got caught up in building a great big house for myself first and never got around to the village improvements I'd planned, so this time I'm going to work on the village first.

Improving villages is my all time favorite thing to do in Minecraft. :shobon: Though I have a terrible habit of finding a village, fixing it up, getting bored, and then loading up a new seed to repeat the process.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In the upcoming version where you can invite people to play in your single-player worlds, does this also work with hardcore-mode worlds? If so, does either player dying delete the world, or do both have to die?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I meticulously copied a ton of village buildings and modified a few of them since there's only so many default house configurations. Then I just started finding new villages and copying the whole things via MCedit and transplanting them near my starting town.

Disappointing Pie posted:

With the LAN connectivity coming to 1.3 is there a way or will be a way for say my nephew to connect to my PC to play on my world? I'd love to be able to share my world with one other person without having to pay for a server. (I already pay for one for me and a bunch of friends to play on.)

This worked for me for about an hour with 2 pcs logged in to the same minecraft account. You just open the map to LAN from a single player game and have the other search for LAN games in multiplayer. It hasn't worked since though, logging both computers off the map when I try to connect. then If there's a way to disable the account verification on a LAN server, that would be super helpful.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

When exactly does 1.3 drop, anyway? I've heard Wednesday but that seems too soon if the pre-release JUST came out.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

nerdbot posted:

When exactly does 1.3 drop, anyway? I've heard Wednesday but that seems too soon if the pre-release JUST came out.

1 August is what the official site says.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

nerdbot posted:

The prerelease was meant to give modders time to update their mods. From what I've heard, 1.3 is going to be identical to the prerelease for this purpose.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Laser Spider posted:

The prerelease was meant to give modders time to update their mods. From what I've heard, 1.3 is going to be identical to the prerelease for this purpose.

while that is a benefit, the main reason they release early is so it can be tested.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Laser Spider posted:

You wouldn't be surprised how many modders hate this, because they don't like people bothering them to update and 'releasing early to give modders a chance to update' basically gives every shithead a license to pester the poo poo out of them.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

FabioClone posted:

In the upcoming version where you can invite people to play in your single-player worlds, does this also work with hardcore-mode worlds? If so, does either player dying delete the world, or do both have to die?

Yes, it works. You get kicked and banned from the world when you die. All worlds have complete server functionality now.

Meanwhile, jeb says minecraft will be updated in about 5 hours.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is spelunking still the fastest way to acquire iron, or does the new trading system let you get it from villagers easily? I made the foolish decision of using iron blocks as the primary building material in my current project. It takes at least two trips to get a single stack. Really wish fortune affected iron ore.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is spelunking still the fastest way to acquire iron, or does the new trading system let you get it from villagers easily? I made the foolish decision of using iron blocks as the primary building material in my current project. It takes at least two trips to get a single stack. Really wish fortune affected iron ore.
I don't think the villagers ever sell you iron ingots, just the finished products.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's up now.

I do like the business sense of the villagers. One offers to sell me two flints for the price of an emerald and ten gravel. Sounds like a good deal.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 1, 2012

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So last night I found diamonds for the first time! And then promptly got assraped by a creeper and lost all of them. :negative:

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Since updating to 1.3 all our villagers have decided to hang out in a single building?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

It's up now.

I do like the business sense of the villagers. One offers to sell me two flints for the price of an emerald and ten gravel. Sounds like a good deal.

So wait, is adventure mode something you can just play single player or is it something you must play on someone else's construction/server? Will it not just randomly make an adventure world?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

Since updating to 1.3 all our villagers have decided to hang out in a single building?

They're holding a town meeting regarding their new trading abilities.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, that happened even in 1.2.5. One night one of the buildings (one of those really tiny 2x6 interior ones) just turned into a villager mosh pit, and stayed that way through most of the day, with just CONSTANT door noises. I eventually had to knock down a wall and that broke their "this is a house" algorithm and they all scurried off.

Underwhelmed posted:

So wait, is adventure mode something you can just play single player or is it something you must play on someone else's construction/server? Will it not just randomly make an adventure world?

If this is just in response to villager trading, that's just part of the regular game now.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
You cannot make an adventure mode map, if you want to go into adventure mode you have to say /gamemode 2 in the console. Be sure to have cheats enabled if you do it in singleplayer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jamesman posted:

They're holding a town meeting regarding their new trading abilities.

I noticed mine rushing together quickly. Weird.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
New hidden feature: villager orgies. Fully-clothed orgies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mine would do that about random places in my village in 1.2.5. No idea what triggered it and it'd eventually go away. Then happen again somewhere else later.

I'm just waiting for a creeper to crash the party and wipe out the whole population in one blast.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 1, 2012

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

tinaun posted:

You cannot make an adventure mode map, if you want to go into adventure mode you have to say /gamemode 2 in the console. Be sure to have cheats enabled if you do it in singleplayer.

You can, however, set the default mode players spawn into a map with. So you can fly around on a map on creative and create an adventure map, then force everyone to login under Adventure Mode with no cheats.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Single player on LAN is great and all, but it still means we need to use Hamachi or something to be able to play with friends. Does Notch ever plan to make it possible to like add friends so you can actually play with people online using your single player map?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is there an official list of console commands for 1.3.1?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mynameisbatman posted:

Single player on LAN is great and all, but it still means we need to use Hamachi or something to be able to play with friends. Does Notch ever plan to make it possible to like add friends so you can actually play with people online using your single player map?

I wonder if you can open your world to LAN, set up port forwarding on your router, and then have people connect to your server via direct IP with the outside IP of your router.

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there an official list of console commands for 1.3.1?

Typing in /help brings them up, no?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Boat posted:

I wonder if you can open your world to LAN, set up port forwarding on your router, and then have people connect to your server via direct IP with the outside IP of your router.

Typing in /help brings them up, no?

Doesn't seem to do anything for me. :saddowns:

Edit: I guess I have to start a LAN with cheats on. :v:

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

ToastyPotato posted:

Doesn't seem to do anything for me. :saddowns:

Edit: I guess I have to start a LAN with cheats on. :v:

You're typing /help in the server console window and not inside minecraft, right?