Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

How often does vender-tron change his stock? He won't stock the sniper rifle suppressor I want and that is bullshit.

Vendors change their stock every 48 hours I believe. Be sure to check the 188, the arms merchant by the truck in particular seems to stock rifle mods commonly, and Alexander carries a variety as well. You might get lucky at Crimson Caravan, Hoover Dam, the Boomers, etc. but its less likely or through too many loading screens. The 188 and Vendertron are the least hassle, but even then sometimes you might not get what you're looking for if the RNG fucks you over. I've tried for weeks of game time to get the scope for the hunting rifle without any luck, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've started playing Fallout 3, and it's good, but feels so devoid of character. It's a game, but not much of a Fallout game, like it's just copying the setting, without really understanding it.

I'm enjoying it, but New Vegas is the real Fallout 3 in my book.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Broken Box posted:

Vendors change their stock every 48 hours I believe. Be sure to check the 188, the arms merchant by the truck in particular seems to stock rifle mods commonly, and Alexander carries a variety as well. You might get lucky at Crimson Caravan, Hoover Dam, the Boomers, etc. but its less likely or through too many loading screens. The 188 and Vendertron are the least hassle, but even then sometimes you might not get what you're looking for if the RNG fucks you over. I've tried for weeks of game time to get the scope for the hunting rifle without any luck, for instance.

There's a little glitch you can do with the Vendortron if you arrive just as he restocks and exit to menu. He might re-roll his inventory. It used to save me some time. But I think it was largely fixed in a patch as it's pretty hard to pull off now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thompsons posted:

At the same time I really hated having to navigate my way through places like The Gomorrah and Hoover Dam so I actually kind of like when some interiors are smaller and less complicated.
I hated them because my game would start to lag, drat you PS3 :argh:

Also I thought this would have been a cool idea if you were a pro Legion character. That after accomplishing all the Legion quests and having enough standing with Legion. Caesar offers you to be his heir and if he dies, you could literally become the August to Edward's Julius. Then again you would have to deal with the turmoil of Caesar's generals and advisers trying to take power.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

I've started playing Fallout 3, and it's good, but feels so devoid of character. It's a game, but not much of a Fallout game, like it's just copying the setting, without really understanding it.

I feel kinda bad because I did genuinely enjoy Fallout 3, but I didn't experience anything near all that the game had to offer, and since playing New Vegas I can't really build up the enthusiasm to have another go at 3, even though I picked up a couple of the DLCs for it during one of the last big Steam sales.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wonder how much Bethesda spent on their budget getting Liam Neeson to VA for Fallout 3? Because Fallout NV had much more voice talent

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jerusalem posted:

I feel kinda bad because I did genuinely enjoy Fallout 3, but I didn't experience anything near all that the game had to offer, and since playing New Vegas I can't really build up the enthusiasm to have another go at 3, even though I picked up a couple of the DLCs for it during one of the last big Steam sales.

Yeah, I enjoyed playing Fallout 3, but I remember that two weeks before New Vegas was released, I was trying to play through all the F3 DLC -- but it honestly felt like a chore that I was only doing because I knew that I was probably never going to play Fallout 3 again. I never actually got through Broken Steel.

Fast-forward to now, and I've already put in another 30 hours and counting into the New Vegas DLC. It really does help to jump back into a character with an actual personality, who's made actual decisions that have affected the game world.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I wonder how much Bethesda spent on their budget getting Liam Neeson to VA for Fallout 3? Because Fallout NV had much more voice talent

This is arguable, what with 90% of NCR troopers being voice by Liam O'Brian and quite a few terrible voices (the voice that is used for Sunny Smiles, for example).

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

This is arguable, what with 90% of NCR troopers being voice by Liam O'Brian and quite a few terrible voices (the voice that is used for Sunny Smiles, for example).

The voice actor for Elijah automatically negates any bad voice acting in New Vegas. :colbert:

I enjoyed Fallout 3. Granted it was my first time playing anything from the fallout series but I still had fun with it. I will agree that the game had absolutely no personality but I still had plenty of fun with it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Does anyone else think Steve Blum sucks at his job and thus have no idea how he gets so much work? Because I think that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

^^^^^I thought he was pretty good as Grunt in Mass Effect. :shrug:

Liam Neeson is great, but isn't it a Fallout trademark to get a few popular C and B list actors for the voices, not just one A-list name? The only other big name is Malcom Mcdowell, and um, Odette Yustman? Oh, and Ron Perlman, but it's not a Fallout game without Perlman.

The first game had Clancy Brown, Jim Cummings, Keith David, Tony Shalhoub, Tony Jay, Frank Welker, Richard Dean Anderson and Richard Moll, amongst others. Pretty impressive for a 1997 game. New Vegas has a pretty good voice cast too - you can team up with Danny Trejo, whoever thought of that casting was a genius.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 1, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ogmius815 posted:

Does anyone else think Steve Blum sucks at his job and thus have no idea how he gets so much work? Because I think that.

I think he's a fine VA, though his "main" voice is probably a bit too distinctive. Not sure what exactly this has to to with New Vegas, though. (I mean, he did do some voice work on the game, but it wasn't that much and I can't even remember who it was that he voiced.)

Edit: Cool guy in person, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah Blum is great and has pretty good range but all anyone ever wants is slight variations on the Spike voice and so here we are

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think he's a fine VA, though his "main" voice is probably a bit too distinctive. Not sure what exactly this has to to with New Vegas, though. (I mean, he did do some voice work on the game, but it wasn't that much and I can't even remember who it was that he voiced.)

He was a couple of guys. The only one who jumps to mind right now as probably being him is Silus but I think there are a few others. Some of the Fiends sound a bit like him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's the writing, really.

"Hello stranger, please disarm this nuclear bomb that we can't for some reason!"
"Hello stranger, I want to blow up this town because of EVIL or some reason and please do it."

Really? I don't like how the game forces too much backstory on the player character - what I do like about the New Vegas is that you play as [character], and can role play as much as you want. it's not lie say, mass Effect, where you play as Shepard, who has an acutal character, and you guide her choices, the player character in fallout is just a blank slate. You're not playing as a character, but as a player avatar - I took part in an interesting study about where the limits between the player avatar and the pre-written character elements behind and end, which made me think about this stuff.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, as I remember it, they make a suicide pact, four of them shoot themselves and the last guy who didn't really want to top himself flees out into the wastes.

This is definitely not the case. Its one guy holding a gun who executes the other four as part of the suicide pact, then instead of killing himself, drops the gun and walks out. Hence the four corpses and the one gun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RentACop posted:

Yeah Blum is great and has pretty good range but all anyone ever wants is slight variations on the Spike voice and so here we are

This pretty much sums up Steve Blum. Most of the non-Spike voices he does are for minor characters (like Guilmon from Digimon Tamers or the Thugs For Less leader from Ratchet and Clank 2).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How does Honest Hearts play as a Legion character? You'd think, even if you listen to Graham as a kind of legend, aren't you, by interfering, messing with Caesar's plans to bring in the White Legs?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I think it's the writing, really.

"Hello stranger, please disarm this nuclear bomb that we can't for some reason!"
"Hello stranger, I want to blow up this town because of EVIL or some reason and please do it."

Really? I don't like how the game forces too much backstory on the player character - what I do like about the New Vegas is that you play as [character], and can role play as much as you want. it's not lie say, mass Effect, where you play as Shepard, who has an acutal character, and you guide her choices, the player character in fallout is just a blank slate. You're not playing as a character, but as a player avatar - I took part in an interesting study about where the limits between the player avatar and the pre-written character elements behind and end, which made me think about this stuff.

It's interesting, the Courier's past is only referred to in vague allusions until you try Lonesome Road, at which point you've almost certainly established what your post-headshot Courier is doing and why, but nevertheless all potential past story the Courier might have had is dumped on you at once. I've kind of got a personal yen for reversal-of-character redemption/fall stories, and you can potentially view it that way, or you can view it as the game deciding who your character should be long after you've made that decision yourself. Also if you want to Lonesome Road gives you the chance to rewrite your character a third time after that with the karma-reset-plus-damage-bonus perks, but it seems pretty tedious to actually do that since if you get to Level 50 there's usually not much left in the game to accomplish.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
All the chatter about DLC and voicework reminds me of probably my favorite exchange in all of the Fallout 3 expansions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLC309C0B880C68F7F&v=368f7UR1i5c#t=527s

ACTING

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Thompsons posted:

All the chatter about DLC and voicework reminds me of probably my favorite exchange in all of the Fallout 3 expansions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLC309C0B880C68F7F&v=368f7UR1i5c#t=527s

ACTING

I have to admit, Lincoln's Repeater was a goddamned great gun.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ravenfood posted:

How does Honest Hearts play as a Legion character? You'd think, even if you listen to Graham as a kind of legend, aren't you, by interfering, messing with Caesar's plans to bring in the White Legs?

Kill Graham and Start Chaos in Zion before running back out the way you came. Or, since Caesar really doesn't care about the White Legs that much, only getting the New Canaanites wiped out, you can do whatever you want to them since the White Legs have nothing else to offer Caesar.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Don't Graham and Joshua stick around after you finish the DLC? Could always put a bullet between their eyes after you finished it.

If this doesn't happen your only choice is doing all the quests and side-quests until the end, and before the final quest you kill them all in a glorious betrayal :moreevil:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

Don't Graham and Joshua stick around after you finish the DLC? Could always put a bullet between their eyes after you finished it.

If this doesn't happen your only choice is doing all the quests and side-quests until the end, and before the final quest you kill them all in a glorious betrayal :moreevil:

Regardless of if you got the Sorrows to leave or not, Graham and Daniel are always gone after you finish the quests.

I'm finding it hard to like any of the Fallout 3 NPCs. The only one who stands out so far is Moria, and Sarah from New Vegas was a better version of the "kooky but likable" archtype.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 1, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Kill Graham and Start Chaos in Zion before running back out the way you came. Or, since Caesar really doesn't care about the White Legs that much, only getting the New Canaanites wiped out, you can do whatever you want to them since the White Legs have nothing else to offer Caesar.
So yeah, a Legion playthrough basically means you either have to contort to go through with the plot, or just to kill everyone.

Or do HH before you meet the Legion, I guess.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

OldMemes posted:

All of the Bethesda games are like this. They tend to set up a number of completely unrelated vignettes that are pretty much completely unrelated to the central story. A lot of the vaults are like this, as are the cannibals you can meet, the ghoul city, and pretty much any other random thing that occurs. The overarching story involves a lot of these disparate groups, but it never really brings them together into a cohesive world.

Obisidian has always been better at creating a living world that makes you think. In this it's easy to see how the NCR, Legion and the Families of the Strip interact, and almost everything that happens ties into them in some way or another. It's both less in your face and more obvious what is going on.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

NovemberMike posted:

All of the Bethesda games are like this. They tend to set up a number of completely unrelated vignettes that are pretty much completely unrelated to the central story. A lot of the vaults are like this, as are the cannibals you can meet, the ghoul city, and pretty much any other random thing that occurs. The overarching story involves a lot of these disparate groups, but it never really brings them together into a cohesive world.

Obisidian has always been better at creating a living world that makes you think. In this it's easy to see how the NCR, Legion and the Families of the Strip interact, and almost everything that happens ties into them in some way or another. It's both less in your face and more obvious what is going on.

In contrast, Morrowind and Daggerfall were both absolutely boss at creating the illusion they depicted a living and interconnected world.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ogmius815 posted:

In contrast, Morrowind and Daggerfall were both absolutely boss at creating the illusion they depicted a living and interconnected world.

And a world you were not welcome in (at least with Morrowind.) One of my all-time favorite games.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Regardless of if you got the Sorrows to leave or not, Graham and Daniel are always gone after you finish the quests.

I'm finding it hard to like any of the Fallout 3 NPCs. The only one who stands out so far is Moria, and Sarah from New Vegas was a better version of the "kooky but likable" archtype.

There's a couple of cool NPCs outside of Dad, they're just few and far between, and don't really do much. But yeah, most of them are either just really generic, or make the Mick and Ralph's crier sound like Orson Welles.

Just a bit of warning about Moira's quest, one of them can cause you to accidentally sequence break the main quest. It won't break the game, but you'll miss some of the cooler set pieces, also lots of subway tunnels. (Spoilering just to be on the safe side), Don't go to Rivet City until the main quest sends you there. If you absolutely have to go there, don't talk to Dr Li until the main quest tells you to.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2012

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And a world you were not welcome in (at least with Morrowind.) One of my all-time favorite games.

It's really astounding what they managed to do with that game when 9/10 of the NPCs had no unique dialogue and all of the ones that did literally stood in the same place in the same building 24 hours a day. It really did just come down to exceptional writing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Don't forget to include Michael Hogan as Doc Mitchell. Took me a couple playthroughs to realize Saul Tigh pulled lead out of my head.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Wolfsheim posted:

This is definitely not the case. Its one guy holding a gun who executes the other four as part of the suicide pact, then instead of killing himself, drops the gun and walks out. Hence the four corpses and the one gun.

Ah, well, there you go, then.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

I think so much of it spawns off the main storyline in this case though. The one thing Vegas did a lot better was incorporate more factions that lead off to side stories, then fallout 3 did.

Also - just the actual setting - NV is much better setup for interconnection. New Vegas is - at some level - civilized. There are trade routes, caravans. In fall out 3 - it is the wasteland. You find lots of small pockets of humans struggling to survive, but they are much less connected.

But, the point about Bethseda there is fair. When I think back to Oblivion - that is one of my main beefs with it. While I really enjoy some of the parts own their own (I love the thieves guild & darkbrother hood quests), most of the elements of the game do not really interact with each other in any meaningful way.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Fallout 3's game world does not make sense even one bit. It's a random collection of (some really fun and interesting!) locations. No logical roads, settlements are just there: Why the hell build a town around a bomb? Why is Tenpenny tower still standing in the middle of nowhere? Why build a town on the edge of a broken bridge? Rivet city I can understand, but why do you have a shitload of mutants as neighbors, no traders can access your town. I can go on and on. The only part that makes a bit of sense is the DC interior as it's just a giant heap of rubble and buildings. I can never ever find my way around the Capital Wasteland, because nothing makes sense.

New Vegas is totally the other way around however. Not much exotic and really fun places to visit in the main game, it's more mundane. The characters and plots make the fun. But the whole world makes sense! Settlements are on roads or close to water, Trade routes are mostly open, there is even a train line built. This makes the game way more logical and enjoyable for me. I can actually navigate most of the game without using the map.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Aren't the places in New Vegas actual places in Nevada?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Aren't the places in New Vegas actual places in Nevada?

According to Google maps yes!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yes. There is a real quarry at Sloan, the Buffalo Bill casino in Primm has a rollercoaster, Searchlight has an airport, Camp Forlorn Hope is based around Forlorn Hope Spring, Bitter Springs refugee camp is at Bitter Spring, the Fort is on top of Fortification Hill, etc. About the only things that aren't based around real-life locations are the vaults.

The map of Zion in Honest Hearts, OTOH, is really really compressed and distorted compared to the real place. The real canyon is far more linear and has no big island in the center. It's also much greener at the canyon floor IRL. Lastly, the Virgin River isn't really deep enough to swim in, at least during the summer. When I was there last week the deepest the water got was about thigh high.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 1, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

But the same goes for Fallout 3:

Wikiuser posted:

I did my own map overlay in Google Earth and found that if you align Olney, Bethesda, and Andale (Annandale), most of the other locations match close enough. The only major offset seemed to be Germantown, which is well south of Olney in-game, and yet is 2km north of it in real life

But it still doesn't make any sense in-game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Novac is complete fantasy, if memory serves, though the giant dinosaur is based on something way the hell off the map in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yes, lots of things are pretty much made up in New Vegas, but it still makes sense. I don't think Helios One is there in real life either, or the REPCONN test site.

Here's a neat site about real life New Vegas locations, including a page on Novac.

e:error: bitter springs does exist!

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 1, 2012