Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I couldn't find an appropriate thread for my question, so please oust me if I'm in the wrong place. What's the general consensus on where to get, and what kind of wallmount brackets to use for putting components in a closet? I have a closet fairly close to my TV that was just mounted and I wanted to get rid of everything. We use the closet for shoes (hence the need to have off the ground) and for coats and such also so want to position the components just right. Monoprice has some things, but they seem to be oriented around building a shelf into a TV mount. I have an Xbox360, HTPC (full atx case), Onkyo receiver, and a U-verse box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Probably get a wall mount rack + shelves? Monoprice has cheap shelves, but their wall mount racks would be too small. Something like:

Shelf ($18/ea): http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=8629

Rack ($110): (can be assembled as 8u/12u/22u, your choice): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228075

Edit: or spend a little more and get one that swivels away from the wall so you can access cabling easier. Will of course require more space when swiveling. This is what I have and it's convenient (I need to swap out that ghetto wooden shelf still)

falz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 1, 2012

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I couldn't find an appropriate thread for my question, so please oust me if I'm in the wrong place. What's the general consensus on where to get, and what kind of wallmount brackets to use for putting components in a closet? I have a closet fairly close to my TV that was just mounted and I wanted to get rid of everything. We use the closet for shoes (hence the need to have off the ground) and for coats and such also so want to position the components just right. Monoprice has some things, but they seem to be oriented around building a shelf into a TV mount. I have an Xbox360, HTPC (full atx case), Onkyo receiver, and a U-verse box.

What's your budget? Rack mount is the sexiest, but it's also expensive.

e:beaten

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Legdiian posted:

What's your budget? Rack mount is the sexiest, but it's also expensive.

e:beaten

Good question, I'm in the scoping out phase at the moment. I was thinking of racks as it'd be a way to preserve the floor for shoes, as it is now, as well as the coats in the closet. There's the shelf that the coats hang from that could be used to stack the components, but will need to negotiate that with the wife first! Looking at the sizes of what I would need, I think I'm going to be hard pressed to find a solution for all 4 boxes that will work within my constraints. If there were simple shelves I could bolt right into the walls and position where I want, that'd be one thing but I'm not seeing that as a solution.

I'm going to measure out that rack unit though, as I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred to do it right instead of getting a piece of furniture to hide it all in. Do the shelves that were link just bolt right into that rack? How many shelves can that rack support?

Any best practices/products on IR transmitters? My receiver and cable box will need that for sure. I feel like I'd miss knowing what level the volume was at, in your experiences is that something you get over? I have all the audio passing through the TV and into the receiver, so the only function I use on it is on/off and volume.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The monoprice shelves could also be directly screwed in to a wall. I wouldn't think they'd line up with 16" studs, you may have to attach plywood. paint it, then attach them.

For IR, I just use these cheap X10 things. They work mostly OK. The reason I use those is because I already had some RCA versions of them and they were compatible. Monoprice has some stuff like this as well + wired IR. Volume has never been an issue for me, I rely on my ears for that. Some newer receivers will do OSD over HDMI output as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

falz posted:

The monoprice shelves could also be directly screwed in to a wall. I wouldn't think they'd line up with 16" studs, you may have to attach plywood. paint it, then attach them.

For IR, I just use these cheap X10 things. They work mostly OK. The reason I use those is because I already had some RCA versions of them and they were compatible. Monoprice has some stuff like this as well + wired IR. Volume has never been an issue for me, I rely on my ears for that. Some newer receivers will do OSD over HDMI output as well.

That's good to know, I'll do some measuring and see if that'll work. Putting some wood behind it wouldn't be an issue for me I don't think. I'll check out the IR options, wiring isn't a problem for me. Basement is right below and the closet can easily be accessed from down there also.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

falz posted:

Probably get a wall mount rack + shelves? Monoprice has cheap shelves, but their wall mount racks would be too small. Something like:

Edit: or spend a little more and get one that swivels away from the wall so you can access cabling easier. Will of course require more space when swiveling. This is what I have and it's convenient (I need to swap out that ghetto wooden shelf still)

What brand/model is the swivel rack that you have? I've been researching some sort of rack solution for a while but can't quite find anything I like/want that fits my house.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can I put my Onkyo receiver on its side or does it have to sit horizontally?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

falz posted:

Shelf ($18/ea): http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=8629

Rack ($110): (can be assembled as 8u/12u/22u, your choice): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228075

This is nice how far is your run to your TV?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Unsure the brand of the rack, I snagged it off of the wall of a company that went out of business a few years back. There's a few 50' HDMI runs (monoprice) and one is 65' or so using this hdmi extender which surprisingly works fine. That rack runs a few TVs. Looks like I missed the extender in the diagram below when I created it- oh well.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TraderStav posted:

Can I put my Onkyo receiver on its side or does it have to sit horizontally?

I never tried, but I think it should work. There are no moving parts, right?
Just make sure there is plenty of room for hot air to escape out the vents in the top.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I have a boner.

What's the "coupler"? Did you have to fiddle with your DTV box IR channels to not get interference from each other? And does your DTV box pass signal over HDMI and component simutaneously? (i.e. watch tv on basement projector and patio at the same time?)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a boner.

What's the "coupler"? Did you have to fiddle with your DTV box IR channels to not get interference from each other? And does your DTV box pass signal over HDMI and component simutaneously? (i.e. watch tv on basement projector and patio at the same time?)
Yes, it outputs component and HDMI simultaneously. The coupler is this thing- I have no idea how it works, but it does work just fine. There's no IR issues, the DirecTV DVRs allow at least two (but maybe four?) unique IR "channels".

If I had to change something, I would swap out my 4x2 HDMI switch for the 4x4 HDMI switch and eliminate the component run and the 1x2 splitter. Since I have four sources and four TVs, I could watch any source on any TV, or all simultaneously (would be awesome for a Super Bowl party). The 4x2 splitter does allow the same features, just fewer outputs.

I drew up that image to help me visualize how the hell to hook everything up. It definitely helped.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

All this is doing is making me want to re-wire my townhouse :(

Thanks for the pictures and diagram falz

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

falz posted:

Yes, it outputs component and HDMI simultaneously. The coupler is this thing- I have no idea how it works, but it does work just fine. There's no IR issues, the DirecTV DVRs allow at least two (but maybe four?) unique IR "channels".

If I had to change something, I would swap out my 4x2 HDMI switch for the 4x4 HDMI switch and eliminate the component run and the 1x2 splitter. Since I have four sources and four TVs, I could watch any source on any TV, or all simultaneously (would be awesome for a Super Bowl party). The 4x2 splitter does allow the same features, just fewer outputs.

I drew up that image to help me visualize how the hell to hook everything up. It definitely helped.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess you need to have harmonies and IR repeaters in each location to be able to switch signals? That 4x4 switch is pretty awesome, I don't think I'd need something as complex as that but might as well for the price.

I think the most helpful thing for me would be getting another satellite box so we could at least watch two separate things wherever we wanted in the house. Centralizing this stuff seems to make a lot of sense, plus it's freaking super cool!

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I guess you need to have harmonies and IR repeaters in each location to be able to switch signals? That 4x4 switch is pretty awesome, I don't think I'd need something as complex as that but might as well for the price.

I think the most helpful thing for me would be getting another satellite box so we could at least watch two separate things wherever we wanted in the house. Centralizing this stuff seems to make a lot of sense, plus it's freaking super cool!

If you are thinking of going with the 4x4 HDMI switch, you can also control it via the serial port using a null modem cable and a computer.(I could never find a ir solution that actually worked.) Monoprice provides Windows software with the switch. However you need to make a custom cable for that to work. I made a website using asp and c# so I can switch inputs/ outputs from anywhere by using ios/android/laptop.

If anyone is interested I could make a thread with my code and what is needed to get it up and running.

ssspy007 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 3, 2012

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm in the process of turning a spare bedroom into a bit of a music-listening room, so with a little inspiration from the Vintage/Turntable thread, I got a Marantz 2226B receiver, Kyocera DA-310CX CD player, dug out my Technics SL-B10 turntable, and KEF C30 speakers. My current problem is deciding what to put these things on. It's a smallish room (about 9.5 x 11) and needs to have other stuff in there (bookcases, a secretary desk), but I'd like to give it a bit of a retro style to live out my Greg Brady fantasies.

I haven't really found anything I like more than this console:

The main problem I have with it is its height - only 17.5" high, which seems on the low side for comfortable turntable queuing. I thought about trying to put some legs on it, but it's made out of MDF with lacquer. Any insight on whether screwing (and/or gluing) some legs onto this thing? Terrible idea to do with MDF? This thing's already kind of expensive for fake-wood ($500), so I'd rather not have it collapse.

This is another console I like the look of - at least it's real wood - but still fairly short at 19".

Any guidance on this or good record storage solutions would be appreciated. Only have about 60 records at the moment, so I don't need a giant tower, but something other than IKEA Expedits or these from Gothic Cabinet Craft might be nice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont get something with open cabinets. Components are ugly.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don Lapre posted:

Dont get something with open cabinets. Components are ugly.

There are some components that I would proudly display in the open. The Marantz 6006, some of the Emotiva stuff.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I do have IR repeaters in all locations, but not fancy remotes. I have Sony RM-VL600's in every room. There's a few newer versions of it now (RM-VLZ620) but for ~$20, it can control everything nicely.

The best thing about them is the component select buttons such as DVD, TV, etc. Quick press to tell the remote to control that device, long press to execute a macro. As long as your macros are proper, all of my stuff is wife friendly in that long press on 'DVD' will send a macro to switch to discrete input for DVD, send discrete power on, etc etc. It does take a few seconds, but if anything is ever screwed up you simply hold the button again. Programming can be complex so I created a google doc spreadsheet to help remind me if I ever have to do it. To me that's worth saving $100 for each viewing location in the house or carrying one fancy remote all over the place.

poo poo now I think I'm going to pick up a RM-VLZ620 for $25 to see if it's as good since they added a few more buttons. I dislike almost everything Sony makes now except their budget-ish remotes.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

falz posted:

I do have IR repeaters in all locations, but not fancy remotes. I have Sony RM-VL600's in every room. There's a few newer versions of it now (RM-VLZ620) but for ~$20, it can control everything nicely.

The best thing about them is the component select buttons such as DVD, TV, etc. Quick press to tell the remote to control that device, long press to execute a macro. As long as your macros are proper, all of my stuff is wife friendly in that long press on 'DVD' will send a macro to switch to discrete input for DVD, send discrete power on, etc etc. It does take a few seconds, but if anything is ever screwed up you simply hold the button again. Programming can be complex so I created a google doc spreadsheet to help remind me if I ever have to do it. To me that's worth saving $100 for each viewing location in the house or carrying one fancy remote all over the place.

poo poo now I think I'm going to pick up a RM-VLZ620 for $25 to see if it's as good since they added a few more buttons. I dislike almost everything Sony makes now except their budget-ish remotes.

Yea I had heard their universal remotes were extremely nice for the price. I have a mid-range harmony for our living room and I like it, but the sony's sound tempting for other locations as we add them down the line.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I can't wait to post before and after pictures of my set up. Previously had my new 60" LG Plasma on an Ikea stand, with the components below and Bose 701 towers on each side (center on the stand). I've since mounted the TV, bought a sound bar, which will soon be mounted under the TV (with this clever device: http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brackets-Universal-Bracket/dp/B0036UTT4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344264821&sr=8-1&keywords=soundbar+mount ) and I'm waiting for cable extensions to run all my components to a nearby closet which will be controlled with a Logitech IR repeater that will work with my Uverse box. The only thing that will be visible will be the subwoofer for the soundbar. Appreciate the feedback from this thread so far, haven't taken it word-for-word, but it's been invaluable.

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

MrEnigma posted:

Finally got my basement finished. Here are some photos of the home theater setup.

Nice setup. What kind of speakers are those?

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

TV: Samsung UN55D6000
Receiver: Sony STR-DH820
Record Player: Sony PS-LX250H
Speakers: Pioneer SP-FS51 (front), SP-C21 (center), SP-BS21 (surrounds)

The DVR is whatever Verizon gives out with FIOS. And a PS3 for games, blurays and Netflix.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 13, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wasn't sure of the best place to post this question, but this seemed the most logical. I'm nearing completion of my 'move components to the closet' project, and wanted to find out if the Xbox 360 was dependent on the HDMI high-speed cables. I have it set up now, with them and it's working just fine with my other components (10 foot high speed coupled with a 15 foot, pushing the barrier) and am considering grabbing a 25 footer to swap out where they connect to hook it up to my basement TV when I feel like playing down there rather moving everything down. I imagine it SHOULD work if it's not dependent on the high-speed.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a result of the cable setup, but I was playing COD:MW3 last night and in two occasions the TV went to black for a second and returned. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Moved house. Bought new furniture and topped off the system with a Velodyne subwoofer.

Sony KDL46HX800
Sony STRDH820

Magnat Monitor Speakers
Velodyne SPL800i

Sony PS3 120GB
Xbox 360
Quad Core PC

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I like the decal on your macbook pro. Where's it from?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Timage posted:

Moved house. Bought new furniture and topped off the system with a Velodyne subwoofer.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like the decal on your macbook pro. Where's it from?

No idea sorry, it was a gift.

Edit: Found it
http://www.amazon.com/Yadda-Yadda-Design-Co-Apple-Evolution/dp/B007ZVTW3S

Or google search 'Evolution of apple decal'

Timage fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 16, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Timage posted:

Sony KDL46HX800
Sony STRDH820

Magnat Monitor Speakers
Velodyne SPL800i

Sony PS3 120GB
Xbox 360
Quad Core PC

Posts like this make me so loving mad. I wish I had a sense of style.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Timage posted:

Sony KDL46HX800
Sony STRDH820

Magnat Monitor Speakers
Velodyne SPL800i

Sony PS3 120GB
Xbox 360
Quad Core PC

Nice pad. Congrats.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Posts like this make me so loving mad. I wish I had a sense of style.

A lot of people with bad looking living areas(in my opinion) seem to just not get the 'less is more' concept, or complimentary colors.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

A lot of people with bad looking living areas(in my opinion) seem to just not get the 'less is more' concept, or complimentary colors.

My problem isn't too much, it's the wrong choices and I never seem to be able to piece anything clever together or unique. All generic crap, but that may also because I'm a tightwad living in a generic suburban area. :(

I'm still :allears: about it though.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

falz posted:

Unsure the brand of the rack, I snagged it off of the wall of a company that went out of business a few years back. There's a few 50' HDMI runs (monoprice) and one is 65' or so using this hdmi extender which surprisingly works fine. That rack runs a few TVs. Looks like I missed the extender in the diagram below when I created it- oh well.

This is a pretty cool setup. Do you have a way to get the 360 controller's signals to reach from other parts of the house?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The range on the controllers is pretty decent. The 360 is pretty much always being used either in the basement/projector room where it's nearby, or the living room which is directly above. At worst it's about 20' away through two walls and has never been problematic at all. MS did a good job using whatever RF tech they're using.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That's pretty awesome. When I finally own a house/condo/whatever I've gotta really consider running HDMI.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

falz posted:

So does this fancy little extender get past that 25' limit to the High Speed HDMI?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I'm not familiar with High Speed HDMI, I think my stuff is HDMI 1.3 mostly though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

falz posted:

I'm not familiar with High Speed HDMI, I think my stuff is HDMI 1.3 mostly though.

Apparently it's needed to preserve 1080p, all I want is 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

TraderStav posted:

So does this fancy little extender get past that 25' limit to the High Speed HDMI?

I don't know anything about the extender he uses, but I have 2 separate runs of HDMI in my house one of 35' and one 50' and I have no problem at all with them. 1080p and never drops signal or anything. They are just decent gauge monoprice cables, nothing fancy, plugged into my Yamaha receiver. 1.4 something revision I believe, although I don't use any of the newer features like ARC or Ethernet.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 17, 2012