Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've been using Swype for a while now, and it's okay, but I'm really annoyed by the behavior of adding new words to the dictionary. There are times when I just want to type something that's not in my dictionary, but do NOT want to add it. Is there any option inn missing that does this? It's been awhile, but I think the Android keyboard worked by tapping once on the typed word to insert it, then tapping a second time to add it to the dictionary. I would love for Swype to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

brc64 posted:

I've been using Swype for a while now, and it's okay, but I'm really annoyed by the behavior of adding new words to the dictionary. There are times when I just want to type something that's not in my dictionary, but do NOT want to add it. Is there any option inn missing that does this? It's been awhile, but I think the Android keyboard worked by tapping once on the typed word to insert it, then tapping a second time to add it to the dictionary. I would love for Swype to do this.

The stable version does that. For some reason in the beta version they decided every word you typed out once is added to the dictionary. That was one of the numerous reasons I switched back to the stable version of Swype.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_71 posted:

Is there any way to download an APK that supposedly isn't compatible with your phone when the app is only available in the official Market?

Yeah, you can rip it off his phone if you can root both his and yours and put Titanium Backup on both.

Other than that you could find an APK and sideload it, ordinarily I'd just find a mirror and link it for you, but for an app you're running credit cards with, that'd give me serious pause to source it through any non-Play channels.

Edit: Or, probably way less time than figuring how to root two different phones, you could root yours, do a nandroid backup, flash your phone back to a Gingerbread stock, download the app, Titanium Backup the app, nandroid restore to ICS, restore the app.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 1, 2012

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Drevoak posted:

The stable version does that. For some reason in the beta version they decided every word you typed out once is added to the dictionary. That was one of the numerous reasons I switched back to the stable version of Swype.

Hmm, maybe I'll give that a try, then. I haven't even tried the stable version, I think. I think there was some big feature in the beta that got me to try it, but I can't remember what it was...

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

brc64 posted:

This reminds me: For some reason, Swype is in love with the word "vBulletin". Whenever I type something really short, it automatically decides to insert that in there randomly. I have never discussed forum software before, it's pretty funny when it's not being loving annoying.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Hmm, maybe I'll give that a try, then. I haven't even tried the stable version, I think. I think there was some big feature in the beta that got me to try it, but I can't remember what it was...
The current beta has much better word prediction. The old beta had the ability to not add words in that you typed out (and a few other better UI decisions in my opinion).

I have no idea where you'd find the old beta though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

brc64 posted:

They added predictive input (where it tries to guess what word you'll say next, based off the last word), but I've literally never used it (although I really like it in SwiftKey), because it pops up after you space, which is pointless because, at that point, I've just started swyping a new word. I do like that the FINALLY let you delete words from the default dictionary. Only took a few years of people requesting it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

They added predictive input (where it tries to guess what word you'll say next, based off the last word), but I've literally never used it (although I really like it in SwiftKey), because it pops up after you space, which is pointless because, at that point, I've just started swyping a new word.

Yeah but also in that instant when you finish swyping a word and it goes to guess what it is, it uses the previous word to help weight the results towards something that makes sense. It's subtle but I notice a difference.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but also in that instant when you finish swyping a word and it goes to guess what it is, it uses the previous word to help weight the results towards something that makes sense. It's subtle but I notice a difference.
I definitely see the difference in the prediction but I seldom remember to look at the suggestion bar at all.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Quite possible.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Rye Bread posted:

Is it possible to have multiple Facebook accounts on the same device? Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble but I'm trying to share a premium Spotify account with my wife. Requiring Facebook is bullshit to begin with.

Gnex if it matters.

You can't listen to Spotify on more than one device at a time, so this probably won't work regardless.

Kyrie
Nov 8, 2003

No more blue tomorrows.

Inspector_71 posted:

Is there any way to download an APK that supposedly isn't compatible with your phone when the app is only available in the official Market?

Specifically, I want to get Aircharge on my Skyrocket with CM9 running. Apparently the app works fine on ICS, it's just CM9 throwing off the compatibility check. My co-worker is running it on his stock ICS Skyrocket, so even if I can't download the APK alone, if I could rip it off of his phone that would be fine too.

Zero VGS's solutions probably work fine, but if you don't want to root, ASTRO file manager has a built in app backup feature that will convert almost any free, installed app to an .apk in a designated folder on the SD card. As long as your friend doesn't mind installing ASTRO, you'd be able to grab the .apk from his SD card and sideload it. It's as straight forward as it comes, I've taken .apks this way from my boyfriend's phone for the exact same reason.

Kind of a shame that Play doesn't just give warnings that apps may be incompatible rather than preventing us from installing them altogether!

Kyrie fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 1, 2012

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Inspector_71 posted:

Specifically, I want to get Aircharge on my Skyrocket with CM9 running. Apparently the app works fine on ICS, it's just CM9 throwing off the compatibility check. My co-worker is running it on his stock ICS Skyrocket, so even if I can't download the APK alone, if I could rip it off of his phone that would be fine too.

There is an add on for the desktop version of Chrome that does this. I forget what its called, and I'm on my phone so I can't check but it allows you to download the apk from the Play store directly to your desktop.

Edit: APK Downloader http://codekiem.com/2012/02/24/apk-downloader/

a dingus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 2, 2012

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Godzilla07 posted:

You can't listen to Spotify on more than one device at a time, so this probably won't work regardless.

drat. Thanks for the heads up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kyrie posted:

Zero VGS's solutions probably work fine, but if you don't want to root, ASTRO file manager has a built in app backup feature that will convert almost any free, installed app to an .apk in a designated folder on the SD card. As long as your friend doesn't mind installing ASTRO, you'd be able to grab the .apk from his SD card and sideload it. It's as straight forward as it comes, I've taken .apks this way from my boyfriend's phone for the exact same reason.

Kind of a shame that Play doesn't just give warnings that apps may be incompatible rather than preventing us from installing them altogether!

AirCharge is a private app that can't be backed up in Astro. I don't know what the deal with that is, but I bet Thermopyle could explain because the Woofi unlocker is the only other app I have that does that.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
On my recommended apps/books, I accidentally hit "not interested" on a couple books that I was interested in but I can't remember the titles. Is there a way to reset the non interested blacklist?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

IT Guy posted:

Is there a way to reset the non interested blacklist?

It'd be weird if you couldn't look at what was on it, it's got to be available someplace.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

AirCharge is a private app that can't be backed up in Astro. I don't know what the deal with that is, but I bet Thermopyle could explain because the Woofi unlocker is the only other app I have that does that.

Huh. You know...I can't really explain that.

I mean, I have this enabled:

but I'm surprised that the unlocker is the only other app you have that has it enabled.

(How's the woofi alpha doing for you?)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/4332-google-has-now-banned-third-party-billing-from-google-play

Am I reading this right that PayPal is banned from Google Play because it's a third-party billing service??

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/4332-google-has-now-banned-third-party-billing-from-google-play

Am I reading this right that PayPal is banned from Google Play because it's a third-party billing service??

Ahahahah google :wtc:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You know that game years back where you scanned barcodes and it gave you monsters to battle other dudes? Is there a game like that for iOS or Android?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I just got my GNex and switched from Go Launcher to Nova Launcher but I am missing the calendar and quick contacts widgets. Is there a pack of widgets out there worth installing that mimics the Go Launcher calendar and contact widgets?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

(How's the woofi alpha doing for you?)

It's working great. I haven't had any issues since installing alpha 2. I assume you haven't pushed out any more updates. I've never received an update notification since I started alpha testing it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thank god. Most people doing PayPal fuckery on the Market seem to be doing it to dodge Google's fees and every implementation I've seen has been an uncomfortable hack. Acar is a great example, originally to get the Pro key you had to:

PayPal the dev a "donation" of $5.99 as a gift transaction
he'd send you a key
which you put into your single licensed device
which spit back a second device-specific key
which you sent to him
which whitelisted your device's install of the app for "Pro" features

want to reinstall or switch ROM or device?
de-register your current install
get the de-registration validated
continue from "he'd send you a key" above

want to install it on something else at the same time like a tablet or a second phone?
eat poo poo, one active device per purchase

He later streamlined the process (and has now gone to simply taking the money through Play like a normal person) but ugh. It sucked because at the time Acar was the bee's knees (may still be, I dunno). Also he refuses to grandfather in to the Market version of Pro anyone who paid via PayPal, so all his original supporters are stuck with the single device limit unless we want to pay full price again.

Armand Avanes posted:

"What will happen if you want to buy the Pro Unlocker app while you have already donated? Will you get a free or discounted upgrade from the old donation system to the new one?"

Unfortunately Google Play Store does not support coupon or any special discount concepts, so you have to pay again.

But the good news is that you will get better experience, and the Pro version will be available on all of your Android devices (signed in with the same Google account) after buying the Pro Unlocker just once! Moreover, there won't be any further unregistration or reset-registration-record hassle when moving to a new device.

:jerkbag:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just saw this on my daily Engadget scan: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/google-play-dev-policy-update/

AirPush is no longer allowed in the Play Store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gariig posted:

I just got my GNex and switched from Go Launcher to Nova Launcher but I am missing the calendar and quick contacts widgets. Is there a pack of widgets out there worth installing that mimics the Go Launcher calendar and contact widgets?
Android Pro Widgets looks and functions identically to the LP widgets I used, maybe they're close enough to the Go ones?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

gariig posted:

For calendar, I'm a big fan of Agenda Widget. It is free and very customize-able.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Monsieur N posted:

You can, if you go in google maps and press the menu button, you should have an option to select an area and download it. You said you would not need it but, you won't have acess to turn-by turn even if the starting point and destination are whitin the pre-loaded area.
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Wallet just got a huge update.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/01/google-wallet-update-allows-you-to-add-any-credit-or-debit-card/

You can use any credit card now.

Since this is moving to the cloud, I'm wondering if this is going to eventually open up wallet to any carrier.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thermopyle, what is the best version of woofi to install?

Is the message to Vykk.Draygo about the alpha from G+? I'm just running the market version with the unlocker right now and it seems to be flakey for me.

GSM Gnex stock.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

bull3964 posted:

Since this is moving to the cloud, I'm wondering if this is going to eventually open up wallet to any carrier.

Looks like it's available in Play for anyone with NFC enabled devices to download. I haven't tried on a non-Nexus yet though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not available for me on Rogers in Canada. Might finally be an excuse to root though.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You know that game years back where you scanned barcodes and it gave you monsters to battle other dudes? Is there a game like that for iOS or Android?

That belongs more in the games thread, but I ran across this the other day when I was searching for a good tamagotchi ripoff.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GViZWFzdGllcyJd

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

I'm more interested in whether it'll still work if there's no network.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Any good apps for streaming video from my computer to my nook over wireless? Ideally with .mkv and subtitle support.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

KoB posted:

Any good apps for streaming video from my computer to my nook over wireless? Ideally with .mkv and subtitle support.

Have a look in the OP - goon made app - Emit is solid for this.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just saw this on my daily Engadget scan: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/google-play-dev-policy-update/

AirPush is no longer allowed in the Play Store.
Oh thank gently caress for that.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
My EVO 3D finally got the OTA update to ICS from Gingerbread. Any good app suggestions? I'm in the process of switching from GoLauncher to Nova.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Google Wallet just got a huge update.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/01/google-wallet-update-allows-you-to-add-any-credit-or-debit-card/

You can use any credit card now.

gently caress yes this is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's working great. I haven't had any issues since installing alpha 2. I assume you haven't pushed out any more updates. I've never received an update notification since I started alpha testing it.

Good. Alpha 2 is the most recent. I'll push out a small update today or tomorrow to make sure the update notification is working.

deong posted:

Thermopyle, what is the best version of woofi to install?

Is the message to Vykk.Draygo about the alpha from G+? I'm just running the market version with the unlocker right now and it seems to be flakey for me.

GSM Gnex stock.

The best version is the alpha I've got out right now to alpha testers. If you'd like to test, contact me via G+ and I'll get you set up on our issue tracker and stuff.

• Locked thread