Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Well I'm sure stuff like the screen tearing will be gone by the time the game is released, it's just the pacing feels like a pastiche made by people who watched let's plays of previous RE games. Like the Conflict: Denied Ops or Legendary: The Box of Resident Evil or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I played the demo!

Leon's story is about as fun to play as the walking scenes in the Gears of War franchise. That is to say, it's a bunch of boring talking and slow walking. Bullets are limited to a single clip.

Jake's story is like playing Bourne Identity with giant hulk-zombies. I had the most fun in this campaign and Sherry seems like a fun character, it's awesome to see her grown up and become a kung-fu master.

Chris' story is Gears of War. Lots of action, lots of bullets, lots explosions.

I don't like the way the camera controls. Instead of the RE4 & 5 controls where it was over the shoulder and you could only see the direction right in front of you with a bit up the sides, the camera rotates a full 360 degrees. This creates a problem when in the "Free Run" mode where controlling someone that's running is very, very clunky. I'd prefer the 4 & 5 controls.

I think I had more fun in 4 and 5 than I did throughout the 6 demos, but I'm really interested in Jake's story right now, it looks like an awesome modern spy movie.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
The demo is now out but you do need the physical Dragon's Dogma disc to download it. Like, you have to redeem the key on the manual in the marketplace (at least in XBL) and then get into the title screen of Dragon's Dogma to download it.

Capcom. :shepface:

And now that loving opening song for DD is just playing over and over and over and over.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
They just did a live stream of Chris gameplay featuring a boss battle against a giant monster and lots of shooting.

It looks quite different from RE5, there are a lot more zombies with guns running about. And strangely they don't seem as dangerous as the ones in RE5, Chris can take a lot of damage.

It looks absolutely brilliant, I can't wait. If you're one of those Suvival Horror purists, I'd lower my expectations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
There's more live poo poo going down, with the game director I think... http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Capcom has announced they'll fix the screen tearing, and debuted new footage: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-13-resident-evil-6-screen-tearing-woes-being-worked-on

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Loved the RE6 demo for the 2 stories that had actual gameplay. Leon's, well, I want to like it but didn't even get to shoot anything.

Sherry and Piers stories were fun, I enjoyed what I played, controls are a bit off but with some slight tweaks it was very playable. The game will be a day 1 for me, though I am unsure if I should wait for a pc release or just buy on 360 for the obvious SE.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

I like Sherry and Piers more than I like Jake and Chris. I was pretty happy that I could choose to play them immediately. :v: As for impression on the demo, yep that's a post-RE4 Resident Evil game. Yep yep yep.

I'll probably get it on 360 for DLC (because RE5 never had DLC) and then just buy it on Steam when it's fifteen bucks.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Meowjesty posted:

I'll probably get it on 360 for DLC (because RE5 never had DLC) and then just buy it on Steam when it's fifteen bucks.

I don't understand, there are 3 DLC packs, though one was competitive mp only. Did you not play lost in nightmare or desperate escape?

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Scyron posted:

I don't understand, there are 3 DLC packs, though one was competitive mp only. Did you not play lost in nightmare or desperate escape?

Lost in Nightmares, incidentally, was loving fantastic and should be played by everyone.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Scyron posted:

DLC on PC. I got Lost in Nightmare and Desperate Escape for my PS3 copy.

Or was the DLC released for PC? :swoon:

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Meowjesty posted:

DLC on PC. I got Lost in Nightmare and Desperate Escape for my PS3 copy.

Or was the DLC released for PC? :swoon:

No DLC for pc, which is why I refuse to buy the glorious DX10 version of the game. Shame, that they couldn't just release the pc version as the definitive version with like everything, sans GFWL.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ein Bear posted:

Lost in Nightmares, incidentally, was loving fantastic and should be played by everyone.

Yeah, its a shame it was so drat short. A two player remake of RE1 with the 5 engine would own though. Like, both characters could go off doing their own thing, meet up sometimes, etc . It would take a slight retelling of 1, but would be so drat awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

Resident Evil 6 will let players experience survival horror from a different perspective. Detailed in Famitsu this week, the game has a new "Agent Hunt" mode which lets you play as a creature out to attack the main characters.

Different from the series' Mercenaries mode, Agent Hunt is integrated into the main game. Once you've cleared the game, you'll be able to set an option to open some stages to Agent Hunt play. This will allow other players to play as the creatures in certain stages. When another player has entered the stage as a creature, you'll be alerted, although you won't be told which creature is human controlled.

Multiple creatures can team up to attack a single player, using voice chat to communicate and strategize.

Sounds like a reasonably neat concept, depending on how it is pulled off. Sort of like L4D Versus Mode but moreso.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After the disaster that RE5 versus was, I can't say I trust Capcom to make a competent PvP thing.

Looking forward to all the on disk DLC for that mode to. :iamafag:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds like a reasonably neat concept, depending on how it is pulled off. Sort of like L4D Versus Mode but moreso.

Yessssssssssss! If they manage to pull it off competently, this will be fantastic. Now I'm looking forward to this game even more.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Eurogamer posted this today http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-01-resident-evil-6-preview-the-grisly-details

And it also looks like they have jacked the invasion element from Demon's Souls and put it in RE6, which seems like a fantastic idea http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-01-in-resident-evil-6-you-can-invade-other-peoples-games-as-a-monster

I can't wait for this game, I'm embarrassingly excited about it. I feel like I'm the only one too, since every article about it I read is followed up by thousands of comments decrying RE5 and ranting about the death of survival horror.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I'm hype for it too. It's going to be bad, but I'm going to enjoy it anyway because of the bad.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Ada gameplay. Looks like her campaign is solo only.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Erik The Viking posted:

I'm hype for it too. It's going to be bad, but I'm going to enjoy it anyway because of the bad.

My hype level's getting fairly embarrassing. I sat down last week and got most of the way towards 1000/1000 on RE5, which required a lot of truly ridiculous bullshit. I refuse to play Versus, though.

Just going from what I'm seeing, I think a lot of people are being too hard on RE6 just out of knee-jerk Internet cynicism. There are a lot of little features in there from the gameplay footage that are genuine improvements, like letting you pistol-whip or kick open crates and barrels, and I'm interested in seeing Leon's campaign.

It'll be like everything else. The comments thread on any preview is doom, gloom, and calls for the death of the series, but it'll come out and sell a billion copies and we'll get DLC and rereleases all next year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon's campaign so far is the only one I really didn't enjoy at all and that could easily have been a case of Bad Demo. Chris' stuff was weird but reasonably fun and Wesker Jr's stuff was a lot of fun. I suspect I'm going to enjoy RE6 even if it's not a good "Resident Evil" game.

Agent Hunt sounds fun as hell to me.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'd really like to know how weapon upgrades are going to be handled in this game. If they're bringing back the merchant they're being awfully shy about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leyburn posted:

I'd really like to know how weapon upgrades are going to be handled in this game. If they're bringing back the merchant they're being awfully shy about it.

You found what appeared to be this game's version of coins in the demo. It's probably going to be related to that, and similar to RE5's method.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So apparently RE6 is happening in Serbia in part? In this video people are speaking Serbian and Djavo (idiotically stylized as J'avo) and Ustanak are Serbian words too. It would be totally cool if part of Resident Evil is set in my country to be honest even if the plot will no doubt be that Serbian war criminals and/or corrupt government are working with/are terrorists.

I don't get why the concept of a Serbian terrorists exists*, we were not recognised by Bush as an "axis of evil" country.

But I'm totally hyped for RE6 now, I'm imagining the outcry when the game comes out and the delicious tears of Serbian nationalists. RE6 will be entertaining on so many fronts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI3U1x5NMq4

*Paramilitary units are not terrorists. Deal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is America not getting the special edition? Whats the deal? I want that sweatshirt.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

xomocekc posted:

So apparently RE6 is happening in Serbia in part? In this video people are speaking Serbian and Djavo (idiotically stylized as J'avo) and Ustanak are Serbian words too. It would be totally cool if part of Resident Evil is set in my country to be honest even if the plot will no doubt be that Serbian war criminals and/or corrupt government are working with/are terrorists.

Apparently the deal is that when Jake Muller's campaign starts, he's been working as a mercenary with an anti-government group in a fictional eastern European country called Edonia. His buddies get hit with the C-Virus, but he survives.

It's funny that they're speaking Serbian, but it's well in keeping with the weird geography of the last few games. RE4 had a bunch of dudes in rural Spain speaking Mexican Spanish and still using pesetas; RE5 had a poor country in western Africa speaking Swahili and using Nigerian money.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wanderer posted:

Apparently the deal is that when Jake Muller's campaign starts, he's been working as a mercenary with an anti-government group in a fictional eastern European country called Edonia. His buddies get hit with the C-Virus, but he survives.

It's funny that they're speaking Serbian, but it's well in keeping with the weird geography of the last few games. RE4 had a bunch of dudes in rural Spain speaking Mexican Spanish and still using pesetas; RE5 had a poor country in western Africa speaking Swahili and using Nigerian money.

This is what I love about the Resident Evil franchise. Are those intentional design choices, or did they just not give a poo poo? There's genuinely an equal chance for both.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

This is what I love about the Resident Evil franchise. Are those intentional design choices, or did they just not give a poo poo? There's genuinely an equal chance for both.

I'm inclined to believe that in RE4, the pesetas were deliberate due to the rest of the village being a huge throwback, and the Mexican Spanish was just because all the voice actors tend to be hired in California or New York. It's not like a good 80% of the players are going to notice the accent and verb structure is wrong.

In RE5, I figure they either didn't give a poo poo or they were deliberately going for a hodgepodge to drive home the idea that it wasn't a real country. It's also entirely possible that they just thought Swahili worked better for what they wanted to use it for, which was monster names and enemies shouting.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wanderer posted:

It's also entirely possible that they just thought Swahili worked better for what they wanted to use it for, which was monster names and enemies shouting.

Before I learned of the whole Edonia thing, I really thought they just decided to give Serbian names to monsters in RE6 cause it's a naming convention that hasn't really been done before like Greek, Nordic or Hindi were (not in RE, but games and entertainment media in general). Most choices like these in games and media are just stylistic, or what the developers think is cool.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The best part of RE4's butchering of the Spanish language is the Novistadors. They wanted a cool word for their invisible enemies, but when they realized that the Spanish word for invisible is "invisible" they just said, to hell with this and made up that awful word. If you translate it back into English it's something like "un-sight-der". It really makes no sense.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm surprised no one commented on the fact that apparently RE6 has a part where Leon, in a normal American town, enters a huge Gothic cathedral and descends below it to a gigantic mine shaft, proceeding to fight a gigantic nude woman with tentacles while riding a mine cart deeper into the earth.

I hope everything else is that crazy. Based on Chris' final scenario being a sci-fi sub marine and having enemies with clown masks I'd say it'll be at least 50% wackier than 5.

The best part of the preview material, of course, is that puzzles are back and go beyond finding Key A to Door A.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

I imagine people are just used to it at this point. I mean, RE5 had secret ancient-African ruins hidden in plain sight that nobody apparently ever bothered to look at. Then RE4 had a giant midget death robot. There was also the bottomless pit of people pods in 5. How did Wesker even build that? How do you just silently build a bottomless pit of people pods in the middle of not-Africa?

I mean at least two games in the series feature orbital laser cannons.

...For a series about zombies Resident Evil is really loving weird.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
All of those things are why Resident Evil owns and why RE6 will own.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I went looking for a transcript of Revelations's files the other day and stumbled back upon Project Umbrella, a site for some pretty hardcore RE fans. I wasn't honestly expecting it to still be around, but there it is.

My favorite thing on the site at the moment is this post, which argues that Raccoon City was in southern Missouri.

I used to live in Missouri, and trust me: every bit of applied stupidity in the Raccoon City games would be explained perfectly if it was in southern Missouri.

Meowjesty posted:

There was also the bottomless pit of people pods in 5. How did Wesker even build that? How do you just silently build a bottomless pit of people pods in the middle of not-Africa?

By having billions of dollars and working on the site for just under thirty years. Umbrella had perfectly functional cryogenic storage in the early eighties and the pod farm was on a base they first built in 1969.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

timeandtide posted:

I'm surprised no one commented on the fact that apparently RE6 has a part where Leon, in a normal American town, enters a huge Gothic cathedral and descends below it to a gigantic mine shaft, proceeding to fight a gigantic nude woman with tentacles while riding a mine cart deeper into the earth.

I hope everything else is that crazy. Based on Chris' final scenario being a sci-fi sub marine and having enemies with clown masks I'd say it'll be at least 50% wackier than 5.

Oh I hope it's wackier than 5. I found 5 kinda dull. In comparison me and my friend have been playing the older one with Nemesis in, and it's so much more fun despite the age/quality problems.

I'm still crossing my fingers that the multiplayer will be as awesome as I hope.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I dunno man 5 was pretty wacky. I mean there is everything Wesker did, and that one guy turned into a massive sea monster and then there is the boulder incident.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Leyburn posted:

I dunno man 5 was pretty wacky. I mean there is everything Wesker did, and that one guy turned into a massive sea monster and then there is the boulder incident.

He had an extreme makeover. :colbert:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've went ahead and booked the 3rd October off work, and I'll be forcing my brother to bump off school that day so we can sit up all through the night playing the Leon campaign.

It's gonna be sweet.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Genetic Toaster posted:

He had an extreme makeover. :colbert:

Goddamn RE5 really is more goofy than I give it credit for. Extreme makeovers, seven minutes to hang out, giant people pod pits. If only Chris and Sheva were in on the joke the same way Leon was in 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Leyburn posted:

Don't forget "COMPLETE... GLOBAL... SATURATION."