Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

`Nemesis posted:

The DBW system in the Suburban probably does suck, but it sucks because it's GM and not because it's DBW.

This. I've driven 3 GMs with DBW. A later model Cobalt, an 09 Malibu, and 2012 Cruze.

The Cobalt and Malibu were absolutely horrible to drive, with horribly laggy throttle response that drat near got me rear ended twice when changing lanes in the Cobalt. The Cobalt would also take 2-3 seconds to downshift once you mashed the gas - the Malibu was a bit better at downshifting, but still aggravating to drive.

The Cruze's throttle response was excellent though - and the Cruze overall really impressed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Like any emerging technology DBW had been badly implemented in a number of vehicles, and like any GM product it was badly implemented in nearly all of them that had it.

DBW on engines with good software/hardware engineering gives excellent feel and control over throttle inputs. In cars that have multi-mode like BMW M cars pretty much anything with Bosch MS 4.x+ and Siemens MSS series and later engine management systems (ie Porsche Audi & BMW), most tuners will change (at the owner's request) the response profile of the different throttle modes. It's amazing how much your perception of a vehicle's behavior can change based on simple things like software-defined throttle response.

e: happy?

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 1, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Das Volk posted:

Like any emerging technology DBW had been badly implemented in a number of vehicles, and like any GM product it was badly implemented in nearly all of them that had it.

DBW on engines with good software/hardware engineering gives excellent feel and control over throttle inputs. In cars that have multi-mode like BMW M cars most tuners will change (at the owner's request) the response profile of the different throttle modes. It's amazing how much your perception of a vehicle's behavior can change based on simple things like software-defined throttle response.

gently caress GM, MY M3 is superior... I think this is pretty much the quintessential DV post.

I kid, I kid. Here's a mechanical failure to make up for it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Two Finger posted:

Here's a mechanical failure to make up for it.

Oil mist?

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

Viggen posted:

I wouldn't call it horrible, but it is a failure..

Other half is still stuck in the trunk. Too hot outside to dick with it now, and the nosy neighbors are home today.

I've gotten one out by soldering a little wire to the broken piece of the key

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
e: derp, was thinking of the Caliber.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Paul Boz_ posted:

Pure. loving. Genius.

I had a lockbox full of old photos with a broken off key in it and just solved it with a HD magnet. You are a tremendous goon.

You're welcome friend. You are also a tremendous goon for having HD magnets lying around :D

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

`Nemesis posted:

The point was not that the vehicles are comparable, but that the generalization that (all) DBW is crap is a false one.

The DBW system in the Suburban probably does suck, but it sucks because it's GM and not because it's DBW.

Yes, generalizations are bad. :rolleyes:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Paul Boz_ posted:

I don't know why. My s2000 has drive by wire and the throttle response is faster than the pre-DBW S2000's. You can also tune parameters such as how much pedal pressure is required to go WOT as well as the ones Jamal posted using a FlashPro. The improved traction control for day to day driving is worth it by itself.

Not saying this isn't true, but how? Is the tiny slack in a physical throttle wire really more noticeable than the built-in ~ms delay in DBW systems?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Shot in the dark here: prior to Drive By Wire, your throttle position sensor and the MAF/MAP (or earlier, just the MAF/MAP alone) are used by the ECU to decide what your fuel and ignition map would be, and there's a bit of (millisecond) lag there where you're too lean between the "request" of pushing the pedal and the "response" of a perfect stoichiometric mix in the cylinders.

DBW should cut out the middleman of input from the sensor on the throttle body and improve the lag by that many milliseconds; not a lot but no doubt noticeable.

By this logic, I assume that DBW wouldn't improve a carbed engine at all, although the rest of the reasons like traction control still apply.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

While that may be the case it seems entirely more likely that simple changes in the throttle response curve is making him think it feels faster.

One of the most popular mods to many motronic-based 80s Porsches and BMWs is to simply put on a different throttle cam that has a faster response. Even knowing what I'm doing and how it works, it still makes every last car I've put one on "feel faster".

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

bidikyoopi posted:

Not saying this isn't true, but how? Is the tiny slack in a physical throttle wire really more noticeable than the built-in ~ms delay in DBW systems?

What slack? No slack in mine. :3

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrChips posted:

I've always heard that the biggest reason why DBW was adopted was that it makes stability control easier and cheaper to implement. Beyond that, with throttle position sensors and some kind of servo at the throttle body already with stability control, a cable linkage is kind of redundant.

The reason DBW was adopted is because there is no reason not to aside from cost. There's literally no process involved in the drive train that would suffer for using DBW. It would be like continuing to drag the blocks used to create the pyramids using slaves with ropes rather then rolling them on logs because you like the visceral feel of watching things toil. You're giving the brain of the car that you can program to meet certain requirements the control every aspect better than a human ever can. What used to be a difficult to control 300hp is now so plebeian even grandmother can get in and lope to the store in. Has the lead footed poo poo lord you sold a 500hp Z06 to without ensuring any formal driver training inevitably rolled into the throttle of his Z06 too hard because he has more money than skill? The computer can simultaneously start cutting the fuel and spark mid injection and detonation event while comparing the rear tires slip and vehicle yaw profile. As it does this it reduces the throttle opening in the intake from 100% requested by the driver to a more modest 75% without asking him to prevent the engine from going lean while it makes the decision of whether it also needs to include single brake activation to bring the rear wheel spin rates into line and put the car back on intended course. Once the car has straightened out it gradually brings the throttle back to 100% to prevent the engine from going rich, which also helps out the fuel economy of this car. And it does this all while giving a handjob to the ego of the driver who now looks like a wreathed Michael Schumacher at the end of a Monaco GP instead of a demon in a waiter costume serving today's special of Phone Pole a la Carte to his passenger as they are both buried in the seats as the stagecoach driver ECU cracks the whip on the 500 horses pulling this wagon.

The only people who rebel are the Luddites, the Amish who slowly eke down the road in their buggies and who convince themselves they are happy with their simple existence and mechanical feel because one time they had a bad experience, never truly aware that there are DBW systems that have the ECU perfectly mimick a throttle cable by giving the driver all the rope he requests while nary asking a question.

Paul Boz_ posted:

I don't know why. My s2000 has drive by wire and the throttle response is faster than the pre-DBW S2000's. You can also tune parameters such as how much pedal pressure is required to go WOT as well as the ones Jamal posted using a FlashPro. The improved traction control for day to day driving is worth it by itself.

It's not more responsive, it's pretty much exactly equal.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 1, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Goddamn that was some automotive poetry right there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

quote:

there are DBW systems that have the ECU perfectly mimick a throttle cable by giving the driver all the rope he requests while nary asking a question.
This is all I want, and all a DBW throttle should do. All the traction and yaw control and second-guessing of the driver can get hosed.

If I apply half-throttle, you open that loving throttle halfway, right now. Nothing more, nothing less. The results, good or bad, are the driver's alone to cause, and the driver's alone to deal with.

I like the idea of DBW throttles, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the technology or the function. I do not like things such as not being able to left-foot brake because the car decides I must be accidentally hitting two pedals, and even if it's possible to change that with reprogramming, I shouldn't have to (and can't on things like hire cars).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

InitialDave posted:

This is all I want, and all a DBW throttle should do. All the traction and yaw control and second-guessing of the driver can get hosed.

If I apply half-throttle, you open that loving throttle halfway, right now. Nothing more, nothing less. The results, good or bad, are the driver's alone to cause, and the driver's alone to deal with.

I like the idea of DBW throttles, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the technology or the function. I do not like things such as not being able to left-foot brake because the car decides I must be accidentally hitting two pedals, and even if it's possible to change that with reprogramming, I shouldn't have to (and can't on things like hire cars).

I don't get the complaining about how cars aren't made for like 1% of the drivers who care about how their throttle is mapped. If you are a pro racecar driver who demands a perfectly linear throttle map all you need is free software and a cable.

Cars now are designed for the lowest common denominator because people spin their cars into a telephone poles and crash through the front of starbucks all the time.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 1, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Muffinpox posted:

The reason DBW was adopted is because there is no reason not to aside from cost. There's literally no process involved in the drive train that would suffer for using DBW. It would be like continuing to drag the blocks used to create the pyramids using slaves with ropes rather then rolling them on logs because you like the visceral feel of watching things toil. You're giving the brain of the car that you can program to meet certain requirements the control every aspect better than a human ever can. What used to be a difficult to control 300hp is now so plebeian even grandmother can get in and lope to the store in. Has the lead footed poo poo lord you sold a 500hp Z06 to without ensuring any formal driver training inevitably rolled into the throttle of his Z06 too hard because he has more money than skill? The computer can simultaneously start cutting the fuel and spark mid injection and detonation event while comparing the rear tires slip and vehicle yaw profile. As it does this it reduces the throttle opening in the intake from 100% requested by the driver to a more modest 75% without asking him to prevent the engine from going lean while it makes the decision of whether it also needs to include single brake activation to bring the rear wheel spin rates into line and put the car back on intended course. Once the car has straightened out it gradually brings the throttle back to 100% to prevent the engine from going rich, which also helps out the fuel economy of this car. And it does this all while giving a handjob to the ego of the driver who now looks like a wreathed Michael Schumacher at the end of a Monaco GP instead of a demon in a waiter costume serving today's special of Phone Pole a la Carte to his passenger as they are both buried in the seats as the stagecoach driver ECU cracks the whip on the 500 horses pulling this wagon.

I wish this whole post could be in the forum index under "Automotive Insanity."

DBW on my GTO is awesome, only occasionally notice it when I stomp on the pedal but DBW cruise works better than vacuum operated cruise could ever hope to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I do not like things such as not being able to left-foot brake because the car decides I must be accidentally hitting two pedals, and even if it's possible to change that with reprogramming, I shouldn't have to (and can't on things like hire cars).

I've always thought the simple solution here is to implement a timer. If you have your feet on both pedals constantly for at least two seconds, you're probably a gomer with a "stuck pedal" trying to stop. The unfortunate reality of the current horsepower wars and litigious society mean that this type of nanny is a very real need today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

InitialDave posted:

Why are you left-foot-braking on rental cars? It's a cheap economy car you use to get from the airport to Grandma's, not Prodrive/WRC/97/001

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Cars now are designed for the lowest common denominator because people spin their cars into a telephone poles and crash through the front of starbucks all the time.
If I buy a TVR and stick it into a hedge, it's not the fault of the car or the manufacturer if I decided to get cocky with 400bhp per ton. It's my fault for going outside the envelope of my abilities, and that is something which should have consequences.

Cars shouldn't have interesting and unexpected characteristics that can catch people out, or inherently dangerous design features that have no advantage over safe ones, but that doesn't mean they should be pulled back from normal function just to stop people hurting themselves.

I appreciate the reality of building and selling cars to the public at large. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've always thought the simple solution here is to implement a timer. If you have your feet on both pedals constantly for at least two seconds, you're probably a gomer with a "stuck pedal" trying to stop. The unfortunate reality of the current horsepower wars and litigious society mean that this type of nanny is a very real need today.
Two seconds isn't enough. Twenty, maybe.

Safety Dance posted:

Why are you left-foot-braking on rental cars? It's a cheap economy car you use to get from the airport to Grandma's, not Prodrive/WRC/97/001
Why aren't you left-foot braking FWD cars?

Edit:
All the world's a rally stage,
And all the men and women merely drivers.
They have their exits and their apexes,
And one man in his time breaks many parts.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 1, 2012

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

jamal posted:

I don't get the complaining about how cars aren't made for like 1% of the drivers who care about how their throttle is mapped. If you are a pro racecar driver who demands a perfectly linear throttle map all you need is free software and a cable.

Well, on the flip side, if 99% of people don't care how it's mapped why can't it be mapped for the people who do give a poo poo? You don't need to be a pro anything to be aware that most DBW throttle implementations suck. All you need to do is try to heel and toe - it either cuts the throttle because you're already on the brake, or the damping function ignores the blip unless you hold it for much longer than you're used to.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
well because most dbw mapping is done for emissions and economy. 1-2mpg makes a huge difference to sales and meeting cafe standards. Plus many performance oriented cars actually come with a dial or switch or some way of chaiging the mapping to your preference.

Most of the dbw cars I've driven worked pretty well. The only one that really bugged me was the hyundai genesis. I actually find it easier to heel-toe in a dbw sti vs my own cable throttle Subaru.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

Wait, you DON'T get that extra insurance and drive it like a personal rally car?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I lucked out and got a key out of my dad's old Toyota pickup with a bunch of WD-40, a dentist pick, and a harddrive magnet.

I'll have to try this. Since it ATE the drat thing when trying to gently rock it back and forth, I'm not praying for the sweet key release of death. At least I can still unlock the drat thing.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

InitialDave posted:

Dumb poo poo
I can't tell if you're playing devils advocate or if you're just a huge retard.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

InitialDave posted:

If I buy a TVR and stick it into a hedge, it's not the fault of the car or the manufacturer if I decided to get cocky with 400bhp per ton. It's my fault for going outside the envelope of my abilities, and that is something which should have consequences.

And if you're carrying a passenger, or there's a minivan in the oncoming lane that you drift into, or there's a pedestrian on the sidewalk between you and the hedge - well, they deserve to take part in the consequences of your bad driving too.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

jamal posted:

Starting a car from a stop is a huge pain in the dick if you have a slow or variable throttle. Espcially if you're on a hill and tip in quickly; it pops the throttle open a ton and then curbs it in when it realizes it's given more than requested and bam, stall. I've stalled almost every single DBW car I've driven in stick at least once from a stop because none of them use a 1:1 mapping for initial tip-in. It's just not as intuitive as a throttle cable is since you have to learn the quirks.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey guys can we see some photos of mechanical failures instead of wanking on about how good your DBW system is or how good you can left foot brake?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You Am I posted:

Wrong side up

Backstory?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. DBW pisses me off no end, and can be particularly dangerous if you need to move forward a little bit, pause then get away rapidly (out of a concealed entrance for instance)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Colonel K posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. DBW pisses me off no end, and can be particularly dangerous if you need to move forward a little bit, pause then get away rapidly (out of a concealed entrance for instance)

Just like anything else, the technology needs refinement. People talked all kinds of poo poo about computer controls and fuel injection too.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Colonel K posted:

That's a photoshop.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Muffinpox posted:

That's a photoshop.

Very poorly done photoshop at that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Muffinpox posted:

That's a photoshop.

EightBit posted:

Very poorly done photoshop at that.

Reuters? :v:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Joe Mama posted:

Just like anything else, the technology needs refinement. People talked all kinds of poo poo about computer controls and fuel injection too.

Some still do. Althoguh I can see the advantages of electronic fuel injection to mechanical. When it comes down to it though, I'd much rather fiddle with linkages and mechanicals than trace wires and sensors.

Oops, that was supposed to be a radial engine failure. That'll teach me to copy and paste without checking.

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010

Muffinpox posted:

Starting a car from a stop is a huge pain in the dick if you have a slow or variable throttle. Espcially if you're on a hill and tip in quickly; it pops the throttle open a ton and then curbs it in when it realizes it's given more than requested and bam, stall. I've stalled almost every single DBW car I've driven in stick at least once from a stop because none of them use a 1:1 mapping for initial tip-in. It's just not as intuitive as a throttle cable is since you have to learn the quirks.

Oh so so true. I have a 04 Saab 9-3 with classic GM DBW. With the air conditioning on and the borderline comical mitsu turbo power band taking off from a stop can make a person look pretty stupid. About 95% throttle from idle to 2500 and then 5% from 2500+. LAG,lag, grunt groan go nowhere, or just plain up and stall, and then boom wheel spin and looking like a giant rear end in a top hat. At least from a roll its pretty normal. Sorry to continue a derail, but man it feels good to bitch about that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hmm, just got back from a trip where I rented an altima with the CVT and DBW. I figured it was just the CVT being super responsive as often I'd suddenly rocket forward when lights turned green, but after reading this I suppose it was probably the throttle software instead.

The CVT was actually pretty cool though, way more responsive than a normal auto.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Joe Mama posted:

Just like anything else, the technology needs refinement. PeopleMorons still talked all kinds of poo poo about computer controls and fuel injection too.

Fixed. You've still got dipshits out there that insist on yanking perfectly good fuel injection systems out of cars and put in carbs.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

jamal posted:

I believe this is known as "fixing the wrong problem".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enough chat, more failures.