Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, avoid Grant wheels. I bought one and it was so flimsy I didn't even attempt to drive the car with it installed.

Edit: Somehow I missed a sentence. I'm talking about the hub adapter being really flimsy, the wheel itself felt fine.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There are three things you interact with a lot. Pedals, shifter, and steering wheel.

Don't make any of them feel like poo poo and you'll be set.

I hate cheap steering wheels as you tend to also feel the stitching and it's kind of irritating. Makes a car feel cheaper.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, you definitely wouldn't want this to happen!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've seen that video and that's what I'm worried about.

I've had a Momo Monte Carlo before and it was awesome. I guess I could be on the lookout for a used one, that way if someone steals it, it won't be that big of a loss. It's just that I leave the top down constantly, and a shinny new Momo would be hard for some ricer to resist.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I leave my top down all the time and I've never had any problems (anecdotal of course). Most ricers aren't even going to pay attention to your miata.

Most people don't carry around the right torx set to unbolt your steering wheel. And hell if it does get stolen, you're only out $80.

If you're that paranoid buy a quick release hub and carry your steering wheel around with you in walmart :lol:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So it turns out that when you spin out you can confuse the abs system to the point where it just decides to stop working for a bit. Of course, it'd be nice if I noticed the lack of abs before the next hard braking zone. The light turned off about an hour later and works fine; but it was pretty amusing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

I leave my top down all the time and I've never had any problems (anecdotal of course). Most ricers aren't even going to pay attention to your miata.

Most people don't carry around the right torx set to unbolt your steering wheel. And hell if it does get stolen, you're only out $80.

If you're that paranoid buy a quick release hub and carry your steering wheel around with you in walmart :lol:

Torx set? The wheels are held on to the hub by allen bolts the last time I checked, but that's beside the point. All you have to do is pop off the horn button and take off one nut and the whole assembly comes off, wheel and hub.

I guess my point was I really don't want to spend 300+ for a new wheel/hub for a beater Miata. Gonna look into getting a used one for now.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

I guess my point was I really don't want to spend 300+ for a new wheel/hub for a beater Miata. Gonna look into getting a used one for now.

Don't think of it as used, think of it as a leather patina.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I have a 96 miata. Any tips on getting the Catalyst, o2 sensor and EGR system to flip from Not Ready to Ready?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Specifically what code are you getting? Odds are very good it's just a single O2 sensor, not the whole emissions system.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

craig588 posted:

Specifically what code are you getting? Odds are very good it's just a single O2 sensor, not the whole emissions system.

I have no check engine lights. Apparently it's common. According to this guy, he just needed to change out his o2 sensors http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=403986

Edit
This is what comes up when I plug in the obdii reader.
code:
O2 Bank sensor 1
Rich-LN Thresh
Mod       $10
Max  -----(v)
Meas 0.445(v)
Min  -----(v)

O2 Bank sensor 1
LN-Rich Thresh
Mod       $10
Max  -----(v)
Meas 0.445(v)
Min  -----(v)
and
code:
O2 Bank sensor 2
Rich-LN Thresh
Mod       $10
Max  -----(v)
Meas 0.445(v)
Min  -----(v)

O2 Bank sensor 2
LN-Rich Thresh
Mod       $10
Max  -----(v)
Meas 0.445(v)
Min  -----(v)
Is it safe to assume the o2 sensors are bad? Seems like I should be getting some sort of voltage reading.

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 1, 2012

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Welp, just bought a Miata, an 03 with the six speed. I'll post pictures of it later.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

First Time Caller posted:

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWDsUgd6g9Y&t=3m14s

Back to the subject of Miata's, I live in San Diego and have been thinking of buying a cheap used one to use as a daily commuter/fun car alternative to my truck. When I was looking into it back in April, people were asking in the low 5000's for the year and mileage I was interested in. When I decided I really did want to get one around the end of June, the prices all had gone up to high 6000's and have been stuck there since. Is this because the value of a used miata with 50k miles on it has actually gone up and will remain up, or is it just increased demand because people want to drive convertibles in the summer? Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should just suck it up and buy one now, or wait 5 months (I don't have a problem waiting that long) until it's cold and rainy and people are trying to get rid of them.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

dpidz0r posted:

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWDsUgd6g9Y&t=3m14s

Back to the subject of Miata's, I live in San Diego and have been thinking of buying a cheap used one to use as a daily commuter/fun car alternative to my truck. When I was looking into it back in April, people were asking in the low 5000's for the year and mileage I was interested in. When I decided I really did want to get one around the end of June, the prices all had gone up to high 6000's and have been stuck there since. Is this because the value of a used miata with 50k miles on it has actually gone up and will remain up, or is it just increased demand because people want to drive convertibles in the summer? Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should just suck it up and buy one now, or wait 5 months (I don't have a problem waiting that long) until it's cold and rainy and people are trying to get rid of them.

Price is what you're willing to pay. A lot depends on where you live. Since you're in San Diego where it's pretty nice the entire year, I wouldn't expect to see too much fluctuation from season to season. I live in central NC where we DO get cold in the winter, and prices still don't fluctuate that much.

As for a $5K or $6K Miata, that really all depends on what you get, what year and what mileage. 50K miles is pretty low. I've had two, a red 91 that I sold at 200+K miles for $1000 (after buying it a couple years earlier for $1500) and a 91 BRG I bought for $4K with only 46,000 on the clock. The 1.8 NAs I think probably average between $2500 to $4500 round here based on condition and what they come with. The NBs come in a bit higher with premiums for things like MazdaSpeed and special editions.

If the car you look at comes with a hard top too, that's easily an extra $1000 you can't negotiate down, because the tops sell for $1000 - $1200 by themselves all the time.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Is the engine running and at normal temp here? The O2 displayed would be the first one in the exhaust and should be fluctuating.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

I've already put almost 100 miles on it today alone. So much fun to drive.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Clean.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Makes me miss my 2000SE. Good looking car.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, apparently I was not destine to own a Miata right now. A medical bill has come up and I must sell my 99 Base. What do you folks think I should ask?

99 Silver on Black Cloth
136k, 5spd
KYB AGX + RB springs
Borla Catback
17" Mazdaspeed wheels and good tires.
Alpine Deck/Speakers.
Has two dings on the hood and a door ding, the interior is perfect.
New top.

Really don't want to sell it, but it is a spare car :(.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Does anyone want any parts from the B6T out of my 323 GTX? I got a newer engine so I have a good set of rods and 3 perfect pistons (plus on that may be usable with some sanding. The cams are also for sale, I hear that the exhaust cam does a bit for a N/A B6. I have two valve covers too if you'd like to run ope timing gears. The engine had only 45K miles on it :(

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

the spyder posted:

Well, apparently I was not destine to own a Miata right now. A medical bill has come up and I must sell my 99 Base. What do you folks think I should ask?

99 Silver on Black Cloth
136k, 5spd
KYB AGX + RB springs
Borla Catback
17" Mazdaspeed wheels and good tires.
Alpine Deck/Speakers.
Has two dings on the hood and a door ding, the interior is perfect.
New top.

Really don't want to sell it, but it is a spare car :(.

In my area this sell pretty quickly for 5k. In a more urban area it would probably fetch 5.5 or 6k.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just joined the club for 2300 bucks.

:feelsgood:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat that's a good price. Let's see the other side.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think Fatcow has those wheels. I think they're 18lbs a pop for a 15x6.5 wheel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

:eng99:
Is there some special edition I'm not getting, or is this automotive journalism at its finest?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

:eng99:
Is there some special edition I'm not getting, or is this automotive journalism at its finest?

More likely just a typo or dictation error, especially seeing as it's correct later in the article.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I didn't see any other reference to it. All other mentions were of MX-5.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The charge light in my NA started to come on intermittently last week, and has been becoming more and more frequent ever since. The battery is draining, and the charge light goes off if I rev the engine high enough (~5500rpm).

I'm assuming this is the alternator dying, and I've ordered another one, but just wanted to check that it couldn't be anything else?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

open24hours posted:

The charge light in my NA started to come on intermittently last week, and has been becoming more and more frequent ever since. The battery is draining, and the charge light goes off if I rev the engine high enough (~5500rpm).

I'm assuming this is the alternator dying, and I've ordered another one, but just wanted to check that it couldn't be anything else?

Check that the alternator belt is in good shape and has proper tension.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

typicalgoongarage.jpg

A Miata and an SV650 living in harmony. I got the Miata on the cheap because the rear brakes don't work for some reason. It's fine though, because I want to learn how to tear apart brakes anyway :colbert:

Also, those wheels are going as soon as I have money for tires to put on my RPF1's. Also need a stock exhaust, Jesus Christ the exhaust is annoying.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 8, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

djfooboo posted:

typicalgoongarage.jpg

:hfive:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a motorcycle. Or a garage :(

Is this a recognizable Miata connector? Found it just resting somewhere near the PS tank, disconnected an with the wires cut, while cleaning my engine bay a few days ago. Everything works fine so :confused:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/3191944867.html

Hot drat, 17k mile 1990 model, with hardtop and hoist for $6500

Tempting...

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That's about double what I'd be willing to pay for a `90.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

FatCow posted:

That's about double what I'd be willing to pay for a `90.

I would pay it easy, that's about the most pristine example of a 90 you would find.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Clean first gens are getting 5 grand all day now, much less clean first gens with hardtops and winches, with under 20,000 miles.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I just lost my goddamn spare key, and a year ago my master key got stuck in the trunk lock and I lost the rearmost teeth from the blade trying to wriggle it out. Is there anyway to find out the key pattern via VIN or something, or am I going to have to do something stupid like tow the car to a dealership so a locksmith can figure out the pattern and make a new key?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Just write down the vin and take it to the dealer, if it hasn't been re-keyed(line mine was) they can cut a key from it.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I'm looking to pick up a Miata as a weekend project car. I've fiddled around the last few years on a axle-stand basis (oil changes, strut swaps, brakes) and I've convinced myself a Miata is a decent idea.

So now the next decision is what year. Do pre-96ers have issues with error codes? I'm not really concerned about having the bigger engine, I just want to play being a weekend mechanic on something that's relatively simple and easy to move around a garage without getting in the way too much.

I've poured over Flyin Miata for weeks now; god help me.

I've also noticed there is a few Ontario Miata goons (I'm in the GTA). Hopefully I'll be seeking your advice soon.

midge fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

midge posted:

I've also noticed there is a few Ontario Miata goons (I'm in the GTA). Hopefully I'll be seeking your advice soon.

Do you plan on making it into a social thing? Autocrossing/tracking lots? If you want dudes to race/hang with around the GTA with PM me.