Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not my ride, but while I was in my car driving up a gigantic hill I came across a guy pushing his brand new diavel. His girlfriend was just standing there watching so I got behind with my hazards on so he didn't get hit by a car. It even had the dealer plates on it still :(
why wasn't he riding it?

Fake edit: it's a Ducati, it comes broken from the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not my ride, but while I was in my car driving up a gigantic hill I came across a guy pushing his brand new diavel. His girlfriend was just standing there watching so I got behind with my hazards on so he didn't get hit by a car. It even had the dealer plates on it still :(

Probably didn't have the keys and didn't know the 4 digit code to start the bike up. It's the last 4 of the VIN by default.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Threw on the new UFO fender and powdercoated skidplate. I just need a nice dry day to spray some bedliner on the underside to kill that echoing noise. I also need the stock 13 tooth front sprocket cause I can't clutch up second sitting on the tailpiece and yanking on the bars (it's 14 now). First is nice though, I'm pretty sure I hit 3:30 today.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Threw on the new UFO fender and powdercoated skidplate. I just need a nice dry day to spray some bedliner on the underside to kill that echoing noise. I also need the stock 13 tooth front sprocket cause I can't clutch up second sitting on the tailpiece and yanking on the bars (it's 14 now). First is nice though, I'm pretty sure I hit 3:30 today.

I might have one if you want it ultra cheap. Like $10 shipped cheap.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

What do you mean "might". I just ordered one for $28 shipped, so if you have it I'll see if I can cancel the order.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

What do you mean "might". I just ordered one for $28 shipped, so if you have it I'll see if I can cancel the order.

It might be in my toolbox. I'm at lunch, ill check within the hour.

I either have the stock one or the 12t.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's the 12t, do you want it for anything?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Thanks but no. With the 47 rear on there that'd be a bit over the top.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Oil change today for the DRZ, thumpertalk sent me the wrong filter, I forgot to check to make sure I had the right size filter before starting the change... I don't really want to waste the new oil on the old filter. Oops, lesson learned.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Thanks but no. With the 47 rear on there that'd be a bit over the top.

Want it for free? I have no use.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I replaced the speedo sensor for the second time this year on my Firebolt. I was really expecting to find something else wrong seeing how cramped the wires are, so I hooked up the tester to check the speedo itself. I wiggled the wires until I saw the speed cut in and out, but it turned out that the wires in the tester were broken. New sensor works fine, so I'm hoping the last one was just a fluke.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Raven457 posted:

I live in Austin, and am not terribly far from San Marcos, so if AF1 has it in either of their stores in wouldn't mind picking up a part for you or any other scooter goons.

Thanks both of you! My plan currently is to re-use the slightly knackered pin for a few weeks. But if it looks like that won't work, I may be in touch...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Want it for free? I have no use.

Sure why not, email me Bomanroman at gmail.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!!!!

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/07/im-bored.html

I gotta say I'm incredibly impressed with RB Designs' turn around.
Now let's just hope their work quality matches their speed.

Edit: Sorry for being lazy, here's the gist. I sent my CB125 cylinder out a week ago to get it bored and honed. RB Designs had it back in under a week. Not bad considering that it was shipped from coast to coast and back.

vvvvvvv no worries, it's not like clicking the link gets me $$ or anything (I don't advertise). It's only there to chronicle my bikes' existence.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 30, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!!!!

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/07/im-bored.html

I gotta say I'm incredibly impressed with RB Designs' turn around.
Now let's just hope their work quality matches their speed.

Any chance you can either make a post here or not? I'd rather not have to click through to read your blog (maybe this is even against the rules I have no clue).

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I installed the Right Side Scoop on my Buell and put on fork and swing arm sliders as well. Furthermore, I plugged that ugly little hole in the crank case above the shifter.

A question though, I found that I could pretty much keep tightening the sliders, so instead chose to just tighten them just past where I could still spin them around by hand. Am I right in guessing that tightening them too much will push the swingarm/fork into the axle bearings, damaging them?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Furthermore, I plugged that ugly little hole in the crank case above the shifter.

What's that? All I can think of is the clutch inspection cover but it's not exactly "little"

I figured out that the ugly hose that vents to air right by the top of the rear shock on my Ulysses is the factory configuration for the gearbox vent hose. Very function-over-form bit, there.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

What's that? All I can think of is the clutch inspection cover but it's not exactly "little"

I figured out that the ugly hose that vents to air right by the top of the rear shock on my Ulysses is the factory configuration for the gearbox vent hose. Very function-over-form bit, there.

I think it's supposed to be plugged from the factory, anyway I installed a Genuine Buell "Fastner, Tree-Splined" to take care of that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

I think it's supposed to be plugged from the factory, anyway I installed a Genuine Buell "Fastner, Tree-Splined" to take care of that.

That explains my "dur, what hole?" reaction - the Uly's shifter bracket bolts into that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That's odd, I can't find any other Buells that have the shifter like the Ulysses, but my '03 model still has that same hole.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I aired up my tires. That's what I did to my ride today. I was lowridin'. Guess that's what happens when you're not on the bike for a month.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Deeters posted:

That's odd, I can't find any other Buells that have the shifter like the Ulysses, but my '03 model still has that same hole.

I wonder if that shifter bracket makes for a better weak link when the bike's dropped, the shift rod's known to tear out of the crank case on Buells.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was setting up the go pro suction cup mount on my tank to take some pics of a ride yesterday. When I was doing that a nut fell off the mount and dropped inbetween my tank and frame, so i took out the tank bolts to get at it. It went too far deep and I was losing light, so I bolted the tank back down and figured that I'd buy another nut.

Well I found today when I went to see if the nut was still in there that I'd be buying a nut and two bolts. Apparently I left the tank bolts far too loose as they've both liberated themselves from their frame prison. So I manage to bust plastic parts by over tightening, but fail to properly tighten metal parts. I'm stupid.

Good to know they aren't that important I guess, as I rode something like 120 miles yesterday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

I wonder if that shifter bracket makes for a better weak link when the bike's dropped, the shift rod's known to tear out of the crank case on Buells.

:stare: Is that in like some sort of really weird crash scenario or have they actually made the rod stronger than the cracnkcase?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:stare: Is that in like some sort of really weird crash scenario or have they actually made the rod stronger than the cracnkcase?

The crank case is rather thin around the shifter rod. If you look at the picture I posted, where the shifter mechanism attaches to near the top of the crank case is where the shift lever's attached on the original Sportster engine it's based on. The Buell shifter location is kind of a hack. Here the whole thing was pushed in after a drop, apparently that happens too:

Edit:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I fixed the speedometer on my scooter, so now I'm road legal again. :toot:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

The crank case is rather thin around the shifter rod. If you look at the picture I posted, where the shifter mechanism attaches to near the top of the crank case is where the shift lever's attached on the original Sportster engine it's based on. The Buell shifter location is kind of a hack. Here the whole thing was pushed in after a drop, apparently that happens too:

Edit:

And presumably that's an engine-out, full strip-down job to replace? I retroactively forgive the Laverda engineer who I had previously damned to the deepest pit of hell for putting a very sharp fairing fastener, without reinforcement, directly above the side panel of the radiator meaning that someone accidentally walking into the side of the bike could punch a hole through it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And presumably that's an engine-out, full strip-down job to replace? I retroactively forgive the Laverda engineer who I had previously damned to the deepest pit of hell for putting a very sharp fairing fastener, without reinforcement, directly above the side panel of the radiator meaning that someone accidentally walking into the side of the bike could punch a hole through it.

Haha nope, you can just bolt on a new primary cover as long as your shift fork hasn't been damaged.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think it may be to accommodate a slightly-roomier peg position for the Ulysses.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I think it may be to accommodate a slightly-roomier peg position for the Ulysses.

Yeah, I was just confused why it would be on a bike 3 years before the Uly was in production. It wouldn't surprise me if Buell had it designed that far in advance though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I fixed the speedometer on my scooter, so now I'm road legal again. :toot:

Welp, spoke too soon. The annoying grinding noise that I experienced before the speedo stopped working last time is back. On the up side, now I know where it's coming from and why. Guess I need to find a new reduction gear.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
New piston installed on the CB125.

Edit: blog link for n8r
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/07/25-over-line-new-cb125-piston-installed.html

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 31, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yesterday, I got the Ulysses back up on the lift to replace wheel bearings.

Front bearings looked OK but they got replaced anyway for peace of mind. Got the rear wheel off and wow, the rear ones are pretty trashed. They are overtly notchy when turned. Good thing I'm taking care of this before a big trip and not dealing with (potentially fatal) failure during.

Doing the front was fairly simple using standard hillbilly Buell methodology. Get a punch and mallet and tap the old bearings out from behind, and then gently tap the new bearings in using a piece of scrap wood as a damper between the bearing and the hammer, being careful where force is applied so as not to side load the new bearing. The axle spacer kind of floats with the bearings pushed in to the wheel shoulders and there's no real finesse involved with lining it up.

My punch isn't long enough to knock out the rear bearings so I guess I get to buy a new tool from Harbor Freight this afternoon. I don't expect it to go much differently from the front.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
poo poo photo and not the end result but I removed all the exhaust from the Street Triple tonight. That Y pipe was designed to be a perfect pain in the rear end to remove.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

My punch isn't long enough to knock out the rear bearings so I guess I get to buy a new tool from Harbor Freight this afternoon. I don't expect it to go much differently from the front.

It went fine for me. My friend's rear bearings were TOAST and weren't budging so he admitted defeat and I took it to the shop as a favor because he can't get off work to take care of it between now and departure day. I just got a call back, apparently they were drat near welded to the wheel and it took them an hour to knock out.

It's a good thing we took the wheels off before we left instead of risking a seized bearing 1000+ miles from home.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Changed the oil and filter in the CB900C using a jug of Rotella T6 15-40 instead of making a trip to the local dealer to overpay for Honda oil with a side of rear end in a top hat customer service.

With the fresh oil in I took a nice 60 mile ride out the mountains to Hawks Nest ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawks_Nest,_West_Virginia )and only to find my front brakes soaked in fork oil after stopping for lunch.. The 60 mile trip back was fun.....

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Put a used Ohlins rear shock on my Tuono. It was all very straightforward. This is set up with noticeably less preload than the stock shock, the guy I bought it from must have been a fair bit lighter. It feels quite soft actually. Thinking I will take it to my local shop to get set up for my weight this weekend before I go ride some twisty roads.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

clutchpuck posted:

It's a good thing we took the wheels off before we left instead of risking a seized bearing 1000+ miles from home.

How many miles were on the bearings? Now I'm worrying that I should do mine sooner than I was planning.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
His: about 20k. Mine: unknown but I would have been comfortable riding on them based on how they felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Put a used Ohlins rear shock on my Tuono. It was all very straightforward. This is set up with noticeably less preload than the stock shock, the guy I bought it from must have been a fair bit lighter. It feels quite soft actually. Thinking I will take it to my local shop to get set up for my weight this weekend before I go ride some twisty roads.

Mine is from an '01 RSV and I noticed the same thing - preload is like 1cm vesus (IDK) like 6 cm on the sachs. So possibly that's just how they're set up.

You could have a dead Ohlins, but if you haven't had them before, a good shock often feels softer because the damping is better. The wheel moves and the damper absorbs movement better rather than kicking you upwards, so it feels like the shock is soft.