Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Bought this last night and spent my evening playing it. I really like Froggy G and Voltron. I've never been able to get into any of the more traditional "MOBA" games due to the round length and the caustic communities but I really like this one. I think the generally shorter games and slightly whimsical characters do a lot for me.

I really like taking Voltron and just maxing out his drones and healing. I've noticed that me playing as Voltron seems to encourage the rest of my team to stick together for tasty healing which is nice. I've been the "Blind" on the drones, is this any good or does it just have a placebo effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
God damnit, why do I even bother with PC games...

I'm not able to play even a single match without disconnecting. Longest I played was about 45 seconds, and then host migrates or the game disconnects.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

FrickenMoron posted:

Good god the default character is TERRIBLE and i get killed all the time by people who have already unlocked everything, did they just keep all the beta players stats?

Do you mean "I don't like the character" terrible or "he is underpowered" terrible? Because believe it or not he's unanimously considered the most overpowered character in the game. Once you unlock some of his later abilities he becomes outrageous.

Attention Horse posted:

God damnit, why do I even bother with PC games...

If all PC games give you this much trouble, you might want to look into your router / router settings, port forwarding and whatnot. Lots of people disconnect when they start to lose, as is true in all MOBAs, but you shouldn't get kicked out of many games at all.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 2, 2012

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Clunk is the best. Eat people everyday. Also gently caress players who are good with stealth characters.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
From my experience when host player leaves a random person in game takes the role. I haven't had any disconnection issues.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Kikka posted:

Clunk is the best. Eat people everyday. Also gently caress players who are good with stealth characters.

I too loving love Clunk, I've been playing him since the game came out on PS3 a while back.

Nothing beats exploding on the opposite team when they're all grouped together. Happens a lot on the 404 station map. Even better if you stun-bite them first so they CAN'T ESCAPE.

Also, this taunt from Clunk gets me every time: "Activating derogatory statement"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
There isn't a single time where I hear Voltar go "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID WITHOUT ME" that I don't spend the next minute laughing my rear end off. I love the characters in this game so much.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Spacedad posted:

Overall this feels like Gunstar Heroes the most to me. If Gunstar Heroes was a team based versus game.

Metal Assault (free MMO run by Aeria) was like this, but it was more Metal Slug (right down to art style) than Gunstar Heroes. It had a full singleplayer/co-op story mode (complete with huge bosses), 2 kinds of co-op zombie horde mode (survival/protection and reach the destination), and team versus modes. There was no weapon limit, either. You could carry one of each weapon type and switch freely.

Story and zombie horde survival modes had vehicles, too. Tanks, mechs, a helicopter, even mortar emplacements. And it had skill points and different skills for the different characters. I miss that game, even if I only got to play a week before the shutdown announcment.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

What is up with Heegu? Is he just a good player, because I see him getting a LOT of crits all the time.

That said, some thoughts:

1. Three players is not very good for a multiplayer team experience.
2. Leon and Lonestar need nerfs.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 2, 2012

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Kikka posted:

What is up with Heegu? Is he just a good player, because I see him getting a LOT of crits all the time.

Crits might need to be a bit better balanced since the difference between a normal hit and a crit is huge. I expected 2-3x damage but 6x? That's insane.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Kikka posted:

I agree, it would be fun if they made a huge map for maybe a 5v5 or more. This would also really help out teams in case one side gets one lovely player who brings the whole team down. In a 3v3, it's terrible, but at least in a 5v5 it won't matter as much.

Believe it or not, but Leon and Lonestar already got nerfs from the console versions. Leon used to be able to take on turrets no problem by making a ton of clones of himself. Now, the clones do minimal damage to turrets.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Played several matches last night, including a game where we came back from an opposing Leon that was 21 when I joined. We all just played defense and wiped them out several times slowly taking out towers.

This game is a lot of fun. I have been playing this with a controller and it feels pretty nice (not surprising since it was a console game). The mini game in between spawns is a neat use of down time, even if it doesn't seem to be random. The fast paced action makes it for a less frustrating MOBA experience for me and the game length feels just about right. None of these 1 hour long painful losses of other MOBAs.

Clunk is the poo poo, I found he was a good counter for Leon since I was stacking tons of HP and late game his shield destroys teams, assuming people stick near you to cleanup. I started doing better when I stopped attacking the Leon clones because I kept thinking they were AFK.

This game owns, SSBDOTA!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FrickenMoron posted:

Good god the default character is TERRIBLE and i get killed all the time by people who have already unlocked everything, did they just keep all the beta players stats?
Uhhh... Default? Are you referring to playing Lonestar during the single tutorial match?

He's one of the most powerful and well-rounded characters right out of the gate, just upgrade your dynamite and movement speed, and then work on figuring out how to use the bull effectively to push turrets and trap players and bot pushes.

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

From my experience when host player leaves a random person in game takes the role. I haven't had any disconnection issues.
Yeah, it hitches for a few seconds occasionally, but even on console I've had little network issues, barring a few people who couldn't host a match without having issues, and those seemed to be specific to the person and their link, not something that was the game's issue.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 2, 2012

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Kikka posted:

Leon just seems to be one of those weak early game characters typical to mobas, lonestar's dynamite looked really dangerous when upgraded.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Voltar is a pretty fun character, probably the best for area denial/push strategies. I always enjoy playing support characters.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

:allears:

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 2, 2012

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
If anyone cares, I've come up with some good Clunk Tips after playing him 95% of the time on the console + now PC. I'm by no means the best player, but this might help some of you fresh nubs to the game:

• Always buy "Multi hose" on the map 404 Station. There will always be a ton of enemies on this map to bite which means more damage done to them and more health for you.

• The most common (and fun) strategy is Bite (with "Screamer engine" upgrade) to stun and explode right afterwards. They'll be stuck while you have the time to start exploding. Great fun.

• In fact, the "Screamer engine" upgrade is always worth it and usually a great upgrade to get early game. Helps too if someone is chasing your slow rear end and you need to get out of there, just bite-stun them.

• Playing as Clunk, it's really great to stick around fellow teammates who stun a lot. Wait for them to stun an enemy and jump right in for the explode. Teamwork!!!

• Inversely, be mindful of teammate Lonestars who don't know what they're doing. A poo poo-Lonestar might use his bull ALL OF THE TIME which no one should be doing. You might be relying on biting a couple of baddies to get health only to have them pushed away by the rear end in a top hat Lonestar. Thankfully in the PC version, you can actually chat with the poo poo player to knock if off!

• Clunk is big and you can effectively roadblock people into getting stuck somewhere they don't want to be. See someone pushing your turret? Get them between you and the turret and make sure they can't leave. Jump, bite, whatever. I've been on the receiving end of this and it's the worst.

• Health is your ammo, keep it stocked! Buy health upgrades to increase your health bar, buy upgrades to your bite to gain more heath. In doing so, you can be sure you're set to safely explode any time.

• Edit: Something I didn't learn until not too long ago: If you upgrade the damage of your explode, it will not only increase the damage done to others but, it will also increase the damage done to yourself too. I've seen nub Clunks explode with what they probably think is enough health to survive with, when really it's not after upgrading. Don't go dying on me, Clunks.

• Edit Edit Part II: If you are blessed with a Voltar who has decided to make it his job to heal you, protect that 3-eyed-brain-jar-man. Make sure you're in the line of fire, not him. If he's being chased by an enemy, go after that enemy, stun him, whatever. This, of course, all relies on whether or not your Voltar actually knows what he's doing.

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 2, 2012

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Yeah I'm not gonna play this game until they nerf Leon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ If you can't handle Leon, you probably shouldn't play the game. Leon gets huge amounts of crits but if you quit running away with yor back to him, it's remarkable easy to control him completely and then kill him with a guesstimated shot toward where he inevitably will cloak and run away toward. There are several characters which are direct counters to Leon, and one ought to fit you, no matter what your playstyle is. Also, learn to play Leon your self, so you know what to watch for and what to do to make him suffer.

Apple Jax posted:

If anyone cares, I've come up with some good Clunk Tips after playing him 95% of the time on the console + now PC. I'm by no means the best player, but this might help some of you fresh nubs to the game:

• Always buy "Multi hose" on the map 404 Station. There will always be a ton of enemies on this map to bite which means more damage done to them and more health for you.

• In fact, the "Screamer engine" upgrade is always worth it and usually a great upgrade to get early game. Helps too if someone is chasing your slow rear end and you need to get out of there, just bite-stun them.

• Playing as Clunk, it's really great to stick around fellow teammates who stun a lot. Wait for them to stun an enemy and jump right in for the explode. Teamwork!!!

• Inversely, be mindful of teammate Lonestars who don't know what they're doing. A poo poo-Lonestar might use his bull ALL OF THE TIME which no one should be doing. You might be relying on biting a couple of baddies to get health only to have them pushed away by the rear end in a top hat Lonestar. Thankfully in the PC version, you can actually chat with the poo poo player to knock if off!
These are all pretty solid and I agree, since they fixed the glitchy bonus-health thing, multiple enemies and stuns is the way to go, preferably with a side of vampire.

Clunk really shouldn't be off roaming around alone unless you're confident in the other team's inability to deal with you, he's really hard to escape people with, he's a hard target to not hit with random potshots, and his size is a double-edged sword i that he can easily be boxed in the same way he can box others in.

Lonestar is amazingly dangerous against Clunk if you are up against a good one, the cowboy with upgraded movement, can literally hurdle back and forth over your Clunk's head, firing downward and doing tons of damage, and your own missiles will be too slow to even scratch him. Also you won't get away from Lonestar.

Clunk is an excellent solo artist if you can get people to ignore you though, his missiles have plenty of range and damage to deal with turrets easily, and once you get multiple targets and vampirism on your bite, it's pretty easy to self-sustain off of creeps passing the turret you're fighting, as well.

Clunk is one of the best ambush players because of his explode ability and his fairly intimidating health bar size alone, and I would suggest learning to hide in the camo spots or on the screen above a fight, and then jump downward into the fight. Most players can/will not look at the minimap during a tough fight, and dropping onto their head from two screens above is both very satisfying, and supremely effective at surprising the poo poo out of people.

With a little practise it's not hard to start your bomb and then jump downward onto an enemy right when it explodes, as well.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

How are you supposed to deal with Yuri? A lot of Yuris I've seen just spam their laser from a safe distance and fly away before you can touch them. I've figured out you can destroy his mines with Lonestar's bull though, which is useful.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

Youremother posted:

How are you supposed to deal with Yuri? A lot of Yuris I've seen just spam their laser from a safe distance and fly away before you can touch them. I've figured out you can destroy his mines with Lonestar's bull though, which is useful.

I really hate this guy. I was playing on PS3 with my brother and there was a Yuri dude just floating above everyone throwing mines down. It was literally impossible to do kill him with our characters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spacedad posted:

I think my favorite part about the game so far is how good the controls are. I was worried that I'd need a control pad or something - but the game just feels natural.
I would think that mouse would have advantage over controlpad, since control pad only allows you to aim in 8 directions for the most part.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Youremother posted:

There's a few ways to deal with them. You can pull him down with Leon's tongue snatch. You can stun him with a Froggy G's Splash Dash or Clunk's Bite. I think any attack that causes slow will also bring him down a bit.

coyo7e posted:

I would think that mouse would have advantage over controlpad, since control pad only allows you to aim in 8 directions for the most part.

You can aim with the analog stick if your controller has one. Still not as precise as mouse aiming, but it's better than the 8-way aiming the console version had.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Hammond Edgar posted:

There's a few ways to deal with them. You can pull him down with Leon's tongue snatch. You can stun him with a Froggy G's Splash Dash or Clunk's Bite. I think any attack that causes slow will also bring him down a bit.

You can aim with the analog stick if your controller has one. Still not as precise as mouse aiming, but it's better than the 8-way aiming the console version had.

I assumed that aiming independent of running direction would have nerfed Leon's backstab compared to the console version. Is that still the case?

John Q. Sixpublic
Oct 8, 2008
I got this because while I despise Dota and can't stand League of Legends, this game looks streamlined and fun rather than tedious and stat-memorizing. Right away I found that the bots tend to cheat I think, because they easily outleveled my brother and I while we played coop. They have unerring aim and react instantly to a decloaking Leon or ambush. However, learning to play against the hard bots means that showing up online is hilariously easy, as people will wander right into ambushes and stick around in combat too long.

I tried each of the characters a few times and unlocked the Brain Guy. It's pretty much impossible to win with him solo with bots, since your allies are too retarded to do anything useful while you heal them and you can't respond to enemy pushes by yourself.

Overall I'm liking it a lot and hopefully by learning each character I'll get some real competition. I'm Churgethoth on steam if anyone wants to add me.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I really like Leon, but the unlockables look pretty fun also. What I would like to know is how people end up level 30+ by the time the game ends.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hammond Edgar posted:

Oh I'm sorry, I must have one of those non-analog Xbox 36o controllers... :rolleye:

I'm sure it sounded excellent when you typed it out however, there is simply a huge jump in crosshair control with a mouse that you cannot match with a controller.

SERPUS posted:

I really like Leon, but the unlockables look pretty fun also. What I would like to know is how people end up level 30+ by the time the game ends.
Kill bots, loot everything, rob both your opponents' and teammates' solar, loot turrets. It's not that hard but you gotta concentrate on the loot and not dying, and not much else.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 3, 2012

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Also, if anyone can't find people for a 3 pack, post your Steam ID. I've got access to cheaper copies ($5.66) from Gamersgate.

I would love to get in on this as well if still possible, I have Paypal.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/deathrat

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
I played this on PS3 and just was really not impressed at all. I'm a pretty experienced LoL and DOTA2 player and this just didn't appeal to me although I thought it should / might.

SkyeTheBard
Jun 5, 2011

Furry Little Thief...

deathrat posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198051646532

I'm also interested!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Is it just me or is Leon completely overpowered? There's absolutely nothing you can do about his invis, and he's like Riki/Nighthound with a Pudge/Devo/Blitz hook. How do you counter him?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

Is it just me or is Leon completely overpowered? There's absolutely nothing you can do about his invis, and he's like Riki/Nighthound with a Pudge/Devo/Blitz hook. How do you counter him?

don't let he slice you mang
stay away from turrets if he's nearby, don't turn your back on him. If he ambushes you turn and fight him. He'll lose health fast and think twice about trying to finish you. Plus he's invisible, not invincible, so shoot at where you think he is. Sometimes a Leon gets fed and has twice as much money as everyone on your team but that's life I guess.
Worst matchup I faced so far was Leon/Voltar/Derpl. Total area denial, great pushing, never die, can't get close because of siege mode, drones, and tongue, can't stay back because you'll get pushed into your turret, stun traps and blinding drones everywhere. I find Voltar really useful but pretty boring to play, as he has no offense outside the drones.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Play Coco. When he hits you with his tongue shoot him with a point-blank Lightning Ball and he'll get knocked away. Her secondary skill Blaze leaves a huge fuckoff trail of electricity which slows enemies, meaning Leon can't chase you. Best of all, Blaze will still hit and slow him even if he's invisible and you can see him getting slowed so you can use it like a ward. None of these really allows you to kill Leon easily because he can still run away but he won't be able to kill you as long as you're smart about keeping your health high.

I only have experience countering Leon with Coco but I'm sure Froggy and Clunk are also pretty good counters with their stuns.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Oh I'm sorry, I must have one of those non-analog Xbox 36o controllers... :rolleye:

I'm sure it sounded excellent when you typed it out however, there is simply a huge jump in crosshair control with a mouse that you cannot match with a controller.

Yeah, sorry that came out bad. The 8-way comment made me think you were playing with a d-pad. I was just pointing out that the aiming in the PC version is analog (even with a controller) as opposed to the console version's 8-way aiming. I agree though that mouse > analog stick.

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.
I just bought this, played for a couple hours, and saw someone ragequit because of Leon.

But this game is fun as hell. I wish you didn't have to unlock so much stuff. I don't really see the point of having to do it.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Kill All Humans posted:

Play Coco. When he hits you with his tongue shoot him with a point-blank Lightning Ball and he'll get knocked away. Her secondary skill Blaze leaves a huge fuckoff trail of electricity which slows enemies, meaning Leon can't chase you. Best of all, Blaze will still hit and slow him even if he's invisible and you can see him getting slowed so you can use it like a ward. None of these really allows you to kill Leon easily because he can still run away but he won't be able to kill you as long as you're smart about keeping your health high.

I only have experience countering Leon with Coco but I'm sure Froggy and Clunk are also pretty good counters with their stuns.

Clunk can stop Leon, but he can't KILL him because he always has that one little sliver that lets him run away. It's so stupid.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

deathrat posted:

Yup, I still have some more. I'll add you guys on Steam and we can talk about it.

Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012
I feel like I'm missing something here.

My friends and I seem to never be able to push the bots, AND they out-level us very quickly. I've tried getting the solar tree and going to the neutral areas early, but they still just destroy us.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ashen Karshe posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here.

My friends and I seem to never be able to push the bots, AND they out-level us very quickly. I've tried getting the solar tree and going to the neutral areas early, but they still just destroy us.

What level did you set the bots to? At the 3rd level, I haven't had any problems just farming close to my turret and just clearing the creeps to zone the bots through tower damage.

If you really want a push strat, Voltar + Clunk + Lonestar seems to be a pretty good team composition. You have ridiculous sustain and can push towers super hard.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
^I play with Ashen Karshe, the bots we were playing were whichever difficulty is default for missing players.

I'm...in need of a little convincing that I made a wise three-pack purchase.

This whole leveling system just seems like a way to cripple you. I don't know why I wouldn't want to start with more cash if the game is aimed to be quicker than most MOBAs. It was far more interesting playing against other players but bots just seem to outright cheat with cash.

I'm also completely baffled that you can't set some sort of ping limit on a P2P game. I went against that Derpl character and blew up to nukes without it ever getting close. The player had ~300 ping!

Are there any tips on making a comeback? I don't know what the map was but I was having an awful time of even getting out of the base (3 towers each, low gravity in the middle, and flying bot spawners.) When I played against bots they would tear down our first tower in two minutes flat, after that I could never get our droids anywhere past the middle.

Overall this game seems really interesting but it has a long way to go to hook me in.

zipzilchzero fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

zipzilchzero posted:

^I play with Ashen Karshe, the bots we were playing were whichever difficulty is default for missing players.

I'm...in need of a little convincing that I made a wise three-pack purchase.

This whole leveling system just seems like a way to cripple you. I don't know why I wouldn't want to start with more cash if the game is aimed to be quicker than most MOBAs. It was far more interesting playing against other players but bots just seem to outright cheat with cash.

I'm also completely baffled that you can't set some sort of ping limit on a P2P game. I went against that Derpl character and blew up to nukes without it ever getting close. The player had ~300 ping!

Are there any tips on making a comeback? I don't know what the map was but I was having an awful time of even getting out of the base (3 towers each, low gravity in the middle, and flying bot spawners.) When I played against bots they would tear down our first tower in two minutes flat, after that I could never get our droids anywhere past the middle.

Overall this game seems really interesting but it has a long way to go to hook me in.

My suggestion to try to set the game difficulty lower on the bots. It's hard to learn the game when you get outright wrecked. Win a few times and see if it was fun for you, since right now it seems like you guys are just getting the downside of the game.

The best way to defend your towers is to clear the creep wave at your tower as quickly as possible. No one can tank tower damage that well in the beginning so the only way they push you is through the creep wave. If you use Froggy G, his dash stun is really good at halting creep waves and pushes.

Edit: Don't forget to check the official forums

http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 3, 2012

• Locked thread