Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

TrueChaos posted:

Backstory?

It's obviously a rally car, and rally cars tend to roll over.

But I googled the name on the side and "rollover" and this was the first result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDaXxkOMrE

Picture appears to have been taken around 32.5 seconds into that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You're welcome friend. You are also a tremendous goon for having HD magnets lying around :D

they're great for removing fragments of metal from one's eye... the horrible mechanic failure in this case being my stupidity and ensuing lack of eye protection while using an angle grinder several years ago.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

they're great for removing fragments of metal from one's eye... the horrible mechanic failure in this case being my stupidity and ensuing lack of eye protection while using an angle grinder several years ago.

So you're saying you've just been lucky for the last few years?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That image makes me cringe so bad, mostly due to no jack stands :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I see two, one is mostly hidden by the brake rotor, the other is concealed by the shower of sparks.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
It's hard to tell because of the angle but it really doesn't look like those jack stands are far enough forward to hold the car if the jack failed. I'm pretty sure the car would tip off them, unless there's another one somewhere off camera to the right.

Terrible design failure (which lead to catastrophic failures, recalls, and extended warranties from ford):

Here are all of the parts that comprise the timing chain system in the 4.0 sohc v6. Oh by the way one of those chains is on the back of the engine against the firewall. Seems reasonable to me!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only thing that hydro jack is holding up is the axle, the rest of the car was on the jackstands. Believe me, I tested it to make sure it wasn't going to flatten me.

The spray of sparks is actually a bit over a foot in front of me, aimed to the side. It was dumb to do that, but not really dumb :haw:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

lazer_chicken posted:

It's hard to tell because of the angle but it really doesn't look like those jack stands are far enough forward to hold the car if the jack failed. I'm pretty sure the car would tip off them, unless there's another one somewhere off camera to the right.

Terrible design failure (which lead to catastrophic failures, recalls, and extended warranties from ford):

Here are all of the parts that comprise the timing chain system in the 4.0 sohc v6. Oh by the way one of those chains is on the back of the engine against the firewall. Seems reasonable to me!

Having a chain on both sides of the cam actually does a lot to help keep the cam in-sync with the crankshaft at higher rpm's or high valve spring pressures.

Edit: :psyduck: timing design indeed.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 2, 2012

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's a Jeep. You could be working on one in a zero-G environment with padded everything everywhere and still end up with lacerations, burns and smashed fingers anyway. Why fight the inevitable? :v:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EightBit posted:

Having a chain on both sides of the cam actually does a lot to help keep the cam in-sync with the crankshaft at higher rpm's or high valve spring pressures.

Performance at high RPMs or with tough valve springs was never a priority for that engine, and it doesn't have a chain on both ends of each camshaft. The design was based on an OHV engine, so there's a short timing chain that runs from the crank to where an OHV camshaft would be in the middle of the V. Then, on each end of the shaft-with-no-cams, there's a gear and a separate timing chain that runs up to the heads. One bank's chain is at the front of the engine, and the other bank's chain is at the back.

Oh, and all the tensioners and chain guides are made of crappy plastic, too.

e: have a picture!

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 2, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But that way we get to use the same head on both sides of the engine! :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Attempted burnout or mud?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bashing a rock etc is a good possible explanation, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Attempted burnout or mud?

Sounds like the former, according to the source. Only 360hp (and slicks) to do that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Cars shouldn't have interesting and unexpected characteristics thatcan catch people out, or inherently dangerous design features that have no advantage over safe ones

Hey, that's the kind of thinking that killed the British car industry :haw:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

IOwnCalculus posted:

But that way we get to use the same head on both sides of the engine! :downs:

:ms:

That's insane. And wonderful. And horrible.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Space Gopher posted:

Performance at high RPMs or with tough valve springs was never a priority for that engine, and it doesn't have a chain on both ends of each camshaft. The design was based on an OHV engine, so there's a short timing chain that runs from the crank to where an OHV camshaft would be in the middle of the V. Then, on each end of the shaft-with-no-cams, there's a gear and a separate timing chain that runs up to the heads. One bank's chain is at the front of the engine, and the other bank's chain is at the back.

Seriously need to start collecting stuff like this to put on my wall at work. "At least I didn't design something like this".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What is the balance shaft for and why is it only on the 4x4 version?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The gently caress?

I thought the 2 timing chains on the KA24DE (inline 4) was bad enough... along with the head gasket doubling as the seal between the 2 halves of the timing cover.

The SOHC and DOHC blocks are almost identical on the KA24. The first gear sits where the cam would be on a SOHC head. And yes.. plastic guides that love to break.

The timing cover is easy to pull on the RWD version. It's :gonk: on the FWD, bad enough that I'll probably wind up pulling the engine when I finally get around to fixing mine.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

some texas redneck posted:

along with the head gasket doubling as the seal between the 2 halves of the timing cover.

:psyboom:

If I hadn't seen it I'd have accused you of :2bong:...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Space Gopher posted:

You know, I was gonna post about the 4.6, which has 3 chains similarly arranged but all on one end of the motor, but then I went on GIS and I found this:

:gonk:
Apparently it's the 4.2L V8 out of an Audi S4. Wanna know the best part? That's the REAR of the motor. That's the end that faces the firewall. God help you if you ever need to replace a tensioner.

Superior German engineering, indeed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fucknag posted:

You know, I was gonna post about the 4.6, which has 3 chains similarly arranged but all on one end of the motor, but then I went on GIS and I found this:

Apparently it's the 4.2L V8 out of an Audi S4. Wanna know the best part? That's the REAR of the motor. That's the end that faces the firewall. God help you if you ever need to replace a tensioner.

:stare:

Oh gently caress that. gently caress that forever.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Throatwarbler posted:

Balance shafts are eccentric weights that cancel out some of the vibration in an engine; they're fairly common on 4 and 6-cylinder motors. I don't know why it's only on the 4x4 version, though; maybe that drivetrain is more sensitive to vibrations?

As far as unconventional valvetrain setups go, I'm a big fan of the Toyota slave cam system. It was more a legendary mechanical success than anything, given that it was part of the ubiquitous and nigh-unkillable 4A-FE, but you can't deny that cams spinning in opposite directions is pleasantly funky:

(also for the love of god don't ever search for anything that includes "slave cam" without safesearch)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

I was thinking about buying one of these...but that just looks really, really expensive to fix if something goes wrong.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Throatwarbler posted:

Usually the balance shaft is just to make non-balanced engines (so everything but an I6, V12, or crossplane V8) run smoother. But on this particular engine, no one really knows. Seriously. It's not even consistent. 4x4 explorers have it but 4x4 rangers don't. Manual transmission mustangs have it but autos don't. People say they've interchanged them and it seems to make no difference. It's not even in the spot you'd normally put a balance shaft on a V6 (between the banks) so I doubt it could possibly be very effective. I'd imagine it's probably best not to have it because it's just one more chain guide to fail.

That audi v8 is a whole other level of :psyduck: though, jesus christ. What is the sprocket at the bottom left? Water pump? Seems like a lot of effort to get that chain down there.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^ These engines are direct injection and have an engine driven fuel pump so that might be one of them. Other DI engines drive the fuel pump off one of the cam sprockets.

Fucknag posted:

Eh, this doesn't really look all that bad? So it uses 3 chains to drive 2 heads, all that poo poo seems to be sitting in an oil bath and shouldn't ever need to be touched anyway.

It's an Audi so why would anything fai

quote:

Balance shafts are eccentric weights that cancel out some of the vibration in an engine; they're fairly common on 4 and 6-cylinder motors. I don't know why it's only on the 4x4 version, though; maybe that drivetrain is more sensitive to vibrations?

60* V6s do not need balance shafts. No current 60* V6 has one that I know of. A 90* V6 does use a shaft but it sits in the valley between the 2 heads, where the jackshaft on this thing would be.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 3, 2012

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Space Gopher posted:

As far as unconventional valvetrain setups go, I'm a big fan of the Toyota slave cam system. It was more a legendary mechanical success than anything, given that it was part of the ubiquitous and nigh-unkillable 4A-FE, but you can't deny that cams spinning in opposite directions is pleasantly funky:

That's unusual? The only DOHC engine I've opened up was a Mazda KLZE which was set up this way and I thought it was normal. It seems like a logical way to do things, at least in the days before VVT. Less belt needed and there's no way the two cams can get out of sync.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 3, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fucknag posted:

And I thought powering the 1966 Toronado FWD transmission with a chain was nuts...

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Posted this picture on my friend's Facebook. He just bought one in the spring. His response:

Yeah I recognize it, that's the exact picture I use when people ask me about a timing chain service on my car. 3000 in parts plus you have to pull the engine.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

thecobra posted:

Posted this picture on my friend's Facebook. He just bought one in the spring. His response:

Yeah I recognize it, that's the exact picture I use when people ask me about a timing chain service on my car. 3000 in parts plus you have to pull the engine.

Do the engineers get told to do crazy stuff like this in order to drive up repair costs? I mean it's not inconceivable that there were real packaging reasons to put all this hardware against the firewall but...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fucknag posted:

I've heard some nightmares about Audi designs. Like hoses routed through engine mounts. Looks like I didn't hear wrong.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've heard some nightmares about Audi designs. Like hoses routed through engine mounts. Looks like I didn't hear wrong.

Setting the toe-in on one is always fun. Especially when the tie rod section corrodes itself into one solid piece. But seeing the picture of that engine setup is quite sobering on what "complicated" is really all about. Good lord. :stare:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I think the original Ford Cammer deserves at least an honorable mention in the "ridiculous timing chains" category.

I like how they didn't even try to make it fit the shape of the engine. The upper chain was six feet long and, from what I've read, rather prone to failure. But when it worked, it gave half again the RPM and horsepower of the pushrod 427. NASCAR banned it before they even entered one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sponge! posted:

:psyboom:

If I hadn't seen it I'd have accused you of :2bong:...

To be fair, I'm usually :350: most of the day unless I'm looking for a job.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

Do the engineers get told to do crazy stuff like this in order to drive up repair costs? I mean it's not inconceivable that there were real packaging reasons to put all this hardware against the firewall but...

My considered opinion on this matter after working on my wife's passat and observing some all around terrible design choices (this is a vehicle that made me tool-throwing angry while trying to change the battery) is that VW only hires the automotive engineers that weren't good enough to work for BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
More of a horrible aerodynamic failure. This is bird strike 18 for my truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You are correct.

My friend's 97 Audi A4 Quattro wagon with the V6 (iirc) had that. If you look in my posting history I created a thread about it when he got so fed up with trying to fix the damned thing that he literally gave it away. He asked me first, I thought he was joking/wasn't sure I wanted it so I posted a thread here to find out if they were cursed, and by the time I said what the hell, worst case I can get a few hundred at the junkyard, he'd given it to someone else. He really was in a hurry to be rid of that thing.

Turns out that no, I didn't want it! I distinctly remember cursing superior german engineering while attempting to replace a rusty steel coolant tube across the front of the motor which I couldn't seem to free from what ended up being a motor mount.

I still joke about "service position" (and whether it means lube or kneepads this time around) every time he mentions working on his current Audi.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

thecobra posted:

Why does a timing chain even need service? Isn't that the whole point of using a chain in an oil bath?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Oil slows wear, it doesn't prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Also, as we alluded to in the discussion earlier, the crazy-shaped guides that route the chain are often made of cheap lovely plastic that breaks. Some engines are notorious for this, like the toyota 22RE, ford 4.0 sohc, nissan KA24DE, nissan VQ40, GM high feature 3.6, VW 2.5L I5 and some VR6 models, just to name a few. Or the tensioners (which are needed because the chain stretches over time) fail. Then the chain gets loose and makes horrible noises and/or jumps time and/or breaks.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 3, 2012