Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Subscriptions sound cool - any other good ones available in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
New Desaparecidos 7". Holy poo poo. I'm seeing them at the end of the month, and this was an unexpected surprise. I loving love every song they've recorded. Hopefully it doesn't suck, and hopefully there's more to come.

Check it out

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

New Desaparecidos 7". Holy poo poo. I'm seeing them at the end of the month, and this was an unexpected surprise. I loving love every song they've recorded. Hopefully it doesn't suck, and hopefully there's more to come.

Check it out

MariKKKopa is a great song. Heard it on Sirius XM U yesterday. It's mainly about Sheriff Joe Arpaio and ends with a recording of him talking about how he likes the KKK to a reporter.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was avoiding listening to the tracks online, figuring I'm ordering the vinyl, so why not wait?

Then I order the 7" and it's not out until October.

:(

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Le Saboteur posted:

MariKKKopa is a great song. Heard it on Sirius XM U yesterday. It's mainly about Sheriff Joe Arpaio and ends with a recording of him talking about how he likes the KKK to a reporter.

Yeah, I checked out both tracks last night on various streams. MariKKKopa is good, but Backsell is awesome. Classic stuff. I figured the instant download would come right away, but I haven't seen it yet. Not so instant, I guess. Edit: Nevermind, it was in my junk folder. Oh, computer, you and your junk folder...

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

david puddy posted:

Repress, I am not made of money. Don't the originals go for $300+?

Not quite that much, but definitely a lot of money. It was one of my holy grails for a long time and when it was finally repressed I bought one right away. I bought the album with the full intention of playing the hell out of it so I wasn't that concerned by which pressing it was, but it would certainly be great to have a first pressing for collecting purposes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Do any of you guys want to buy RSD poo poo that I shouldn't have bought?

Heady Fwends (Dr. Who, Green/Brownish) - $55 shipped
Feistodon 7" - $35 shipped
Lips/Mastodon Split 7" - $15 shipped

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Floodixor posted:

Not quite that much, but definitely a lot of money. It was one of my holy grails for a long time and when it was finally repressed I bought one right away. I bought the album with the full intention of playing the hell out of it so I wasn't that concerned by which pressing it was, but it would certainly be great to have a first pressing for collecting purposes.

I don't see the point in getting an original pressing unless there's something which makes it stand out, like coloured vinyl or a different sleeve or something. I get the collecting aspect but it just seems a waste of money if the only difference is the age.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The Euro pressing of Vaya is quite the thing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Duckula posted:

The Euro pressing of Vaya is quite the thing.

gently caress I want it so bad, I haven't heard from Banquet in forever

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

traveling midget posted:

gently caress I want it so bad, I haven't heard from Banquet in forever

They're shipping them now, you should be fine if you had an order in.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Duckula posted:

They're shipping them now, you should be fine if you had an order in.

I hope they get me one of the split ones. I ordered from them back when the UK was getting hot pink. Then, I got an email that UK was getting 'highlighter yellow'. Then, the Banquet site had two separate options, hot pink or highlighter yellow. Now it's a split, but who knows what they'll send me!

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
I managed to pick up a copy of Introducing Foxy Shazam from Plastic Wax in Bristol a few weeks ago. I got it for a really good price, it's in great condition and on some loving cool coloured vinyl too.

I decided to give it to my girlfriend because she's a massive fan, here's some photos she's taken:

Here's how vocalist Eric Nally proposed to his wife.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

I don't see the point in getting an original pressing unless there's something which makes it stand out, like coloured vinyl or a different sleeve or something. I get the collecting aspect but it just seems a waste of money if the only difference is the age.

Sometimes first pressings sound better than reissues. But I can think of plenty of times when this isn't true. It all comes down to the quality of the reissues and what they used as a source recording.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Sometimes first pressings sound better than reissues. But I can think of plenty of times when this isn't true. It all comes down to the quality of the reissues and what they used as a source recording.

I'd probably put that under "something that makes it stand out". I bought an original pressing of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells because I prefer the original mix to the remastered versions, but spending $100+ more on an original issue just because seems a bit silly to me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I have a close-to original pressing of Black Sabbath's Master of Reality and it's my best sounding record.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Also, I just got my copy of The Antlers - Hospice and the mastering of it is poo poo. It's very thin sounding and it seems it literally has no bass. Anyone else notice this?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got one of the most awesome gifts I've ever got from anyone, and for no particular occasion: a copy of the most recent reissue of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Woke up to some awesome news today, OMG Vinyl reviewed our vinyl. Now to get it on OMG Posters.

http://www.omgvinyl.com/2012/08/03/spaces-nothing-exists-but-atoms-and-the-void-lp/

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Speaking of which, just curious who has the #1 and #2 Spaces records - I got #3!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

WASDF posted:

Also, I just got my copy of The Antlers - Hospice and the mastering of it is poo poo. It's very thin sounding and it seems it literally has no bass. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah mine is the same which is a shame as I really like that album. Plus my copy keeps skipping.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

mono posted:

Speaking of which, just curious who has the #1 and #2 Spaces records - I got #3!

Ha, I have #1 and someone out there in the world has #2.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Captured Tracks really is a class act. For whatever reason I've had some bad luck with the stuff I've been ordering from them lately - first the Shot Forth Self Living in my Medicine box set came with two copies of the first disc, and then my copy of the Heavenly Beat LP showed up with a big seam split - but every time they ship out replacements right away and own up fully. I was really worried about that Medicine one in particular since it was one of the blue sets, but they still found a replacement. No-bullshit customer service like that is a big part of why I buy basically every LP they put out, no questions asked.

Another big part is because the records they put out own hard as gently caress and look gorgeous too, especially the LEs:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Finally am starting to get stuff moved in and situated in my new place. Still no furniture but I got my record player up and running and some new records to play on it.

Domino finally got back to me about the tablet and as you can see they sent me one. Huzzah.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
If anyone is taking advantage of the 'Lollapalooza Legends' vinyl bundles on popmarket, don't forget the coupon code 'FACEBOOK10' for a further 10 percent off.

dumbskull
Mar 25, 2012

im cool
I've had some lovely record player for like a decade but i dropped it out of my rig and then my dog stomped all over it... whats a good record player to buy? do they make one that plays tapes too? I don't even know like what the diff things to look for in one are i've just only ever had this one. please help me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dumbskull posted:

I've had some lovely record player for like a decade but i dropped it out of my rig and then my dog stomped all over it... whats a good record player to buy? do they make one that plays tapes too? I don't even know like what the diff things to look for in one are i've just only ever had this one. please help me

First off: what was it? It had to have a name/manufacturer/model number. That'll give us an idea of what you're building from.

Second: read the OP and the OP of the Vinyl/Turntable thread in A/V Arena. 99% of that information is still perfectly relevant despite the years- aside from a few things: The Technics SL-1200 is no longer in production and almost everyone (especially DJs) wants one so expect to pay $700+ for a used specimen in decent condition. The ProJect Debut III has been superseded by the ProJect Debut Carbon ($400 at Needledoctor.com) which takes an already top-notch turntable for the price and tosses in a bunch of very worthwhile upgrades for $50 more than the old version (most notably the tonearm and especially the cartridge, which is a $100 upgrade on its own). It looks fantastic IMO and it sounds great but it's not automatic/direct drive, which can be a bit of a hassle.

Thirdly: No. I don't know what you even meant by "tapes" (cassettes or, like, poo poo on spools?) but any turntable that comes with a built-in CD/cassette player, tuner, or handsome "wood" cabinet or is available at Target/Walmart/Best Buy/Urban Outfitters isn't worth poo poo- and most likely will damage your LPs. Arguably the same thing can be said about 99% of turntables that come bundled with a USB plug.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 5, 2012

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Lord almighty I need to relocate in the summer (I'm in Phoenix, AZ) so I can order records without it being a 50/50 crapshoot of them showing up warped. It seems to follow the logic that if it's a cheap back catalog title it'll be fine, but if it's something cool like the Symmetry set that showed up today, it'll show up in a Dali-esque state.

I'm afraid to put on discs 2 and 3 of the set, my table is a trooper and only once so far I've had to dial up some weight to off-set warp skips but man is it depressing to see the needle wave like that on a brand new album. I've no idea how to avoid this. Even if I get them as soon the postman drops them off there's still the days ride around the neighborhood in his jeep and the rest of the shipping process. Additionally I'm not about to ask for a replacement when as far as I know the records depart from wherever in good condition.

Anyhow, so things aren't a total downer, here's some fun colored vinyls I've recently acquired.

NOFX's last 10 inch had a black/solid white variant that I think looks pretty sharp.

Due to the price I was under the impression the recent White Zombie reissues were 2 LP sets. Oh well.

La Sexorcisto looks really nice, it's not quite see-thru, and has some neat "smokey" swirling that resembles a frosted glass light shade when held up to the light.

Astro Creep 2000 has a similar thing going on but more transparent and green.

The packaging didnt say Dethalbum II was a picture disc, but it sure is and METAL AS gently caress

Having a picture on just one side is not metal enough.

This one isn't new, I got it off Ebay back around 2000, I really love that coke-bottle clear color.

In the top left of the Tool album jacket you'll see a notch in the jacket, I see similar notches described on Discogs listings, what's that all about? To check the color status of a "sealed" vinyl or something else?

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 5, 2012

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Ron Burgundy posted:

Thank you for taking my advice as constructive criticism which it was intended to be and not getting upset as some people have in the past when I pointed out they own a bulk record eraser.

If you find anything you like be sure to post them in this thread and the vintage 2 channel thread so we can help you choose your setup!

This whole conversation has made me a little nervous about my set up. I use a Crosley Archiver, which was a gift from my wife (who says she asked about it at the local record shop). It looks pretty dinky compared to some of the turntables I've seen, and I was planning on getting something else eventually anyway, but should I be concerned that the thing is damaging my records?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Dr. Lariat posted:

In the top left of the Tool album jacket you'll see a notch in the jacket, I see similar notches described on Discogs listings, what's that all about? To check the color status of a "sealed" vinyl or something else?

That designates that it was a free promo and it's not for resale. All of the ones we were given at the shop I worked at came that way, or had a hole punched in the barcode.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Is that a bootleg of Undertow? Never seen the cover laid out like that before.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

deadking posted:

This whole conversation has made me a little nervous about my set up. I use a Crosley Archiver, which was a gift from my wife (who says she asked about it at the local record shop). It looks pretty dinky compared to some of the turntables I've seen, and I was planning on getting something else eventually anyway, but should I be concerned that the thing is damaging my records?

Detective Thompson's unit was of particular concern because due to it's age it most probably has a sapphire stylus and a quite heavily set spring weighted tonearm. Also those units often had no protection from dropping the tonearm off the side of the player potentially damaging the stylus.

A chipped or worn stylus (sapphire has a much shorter life than diamond) is the quickest way to gently caress up a record.

Comparatively, modern low end turntables usually have at least diamond styli, albeit crude and the preset tonearms are usually weighted to be more forgiving.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

synthetik posted:

That designates that it was a free promo and it's not for resale. All of the ones we were given at the shop I worked at came that way, or had a hole punched in the barcode.

Promos are normally wlp or stamped, cutouts usually aren't the same thing. A cutout / corner cut record usually means it was returned to the distributor or manufacturer from a retail outlet as unsold. The distributor then does the cutout, then sells them wholesale to a discount retailer. That's why cheapie bins get called a cutout bin occasionally, as a holdover from LP sales. (Although they still do this to CDs...)

I've had good 45 luck recently, especially with a few hard to pull locals. This is just today and yesterday flea digging, nothing over $2. Vic Caesar and MJK have some cover issues but clean records, so I ain't mad. No idea WTF Ghanan press Pat Thomas was doing in East TN. (bluuury pic)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

pork never goes bad posted:

Subscriptions sound cool - any other good ones available in the US?
seconding this

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Is that a bootleg of Undertow? Never seen the cover laid out like that before.
I think it was a promo release.
http://www.discogs.com/Tool-Undertow/release/1672560

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If anyone is taking advantage of the 'Lollapalooza Legends' vinyl bundles on popmarket, don't forget the coupon code 'FACEBOOK10' for a further 10 percent off.

This is awesome! Picked up The Strokes pack for $48 CDN with free shipping! :D

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

This is the first splattered vinyl I've ever gotten, can't believe how incredible it looks. Awesome albums, glad they finally arrived :woop:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

david puddy posted:

This is the first splattered vinyl I've ever gotten, can't believe how incredible it looks. Awesome albums, glad they finally arrived :woop:

Holy crap, that COVER ART.

Anyway, I've made a bunch of recent additions in the last week:

I road-tripped to Brunswick, Maine last week to visit some friends (alma mater's there) and stopped in at the Fort Andross flea market. If you're ever in the area and you have an hour or two to kill, I HIGHLY recommend you dig through their vinyl. The flea market's not that big and there are a few scattered stands that predominantly deal with LPs. Once the vinyl people there become aware of you, they'll eagerly lead you around to all of the various hidden stacks and bins strewn around the place and talk your ear off about turntables because it's Maine and they don't get a lot of people asking about records outside of a Bowdoin freshman or two looking for wall decorations.

The selection is 99% christian and country (and not the good kind) and you'll have to dig through a lot of crap but there's a fair amount of hidden gold if you've got a little patience. You won't necessarily find anything particularly rare, but you'll find record store staples in the sort of condition you'd never see outside of your parents' house for a fraction of the record store cost. I got every one of these LPs for a dollar. That copy of Thriller is loving pristine (disc and sleeve). I wouldn't normally post a picture of Bookends, seeing as every swap, store, and basement has at least 3 copies lying around but this is the best first run copy I've seen by an order of magnitude. It blows the one I had out of the water, and looks and sounds like it was just pulled out of the shrink wrap.

My friend and I swung by In Your Ear in Boston on the way back home. It was slim pickings that day, but I now have a copy of every REM LP from the 1980s (nobody cares but me!) and the worst album U2 made in the period before they really turned to poo poo. :toot:

Later this week, I learned that any returns you attempt to make at Goodwill (like, say you bought some speakers and decided that they sounded worse than the ones you already had) will result in store credit- I swear, the lady who rang me up never told me. I hate having store credit (I forget I have it and end up losing the receipts), so I've been doing my best to burn through it as fast as possible- by hitting up three different Goodwill stores in southwestern CT:

The Westport one is the best (old, rich, white people rock!). Everything here sounds good to excellent, except for the Grateful Dead stuff which sounds like the Grateful Dead.

The Monroe one was pretty good too. Unfortunately, that copy of Head Hunters is shot to hell, which was a major loving let-down.

None of these are in really good shape either, which arguably makes me more upset. Nothing is worse than a bunch of drunk people getting their hopes up about a rousing round of "The Bear Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like You" and having the songs sound like they're being played with a Dremel.

I'm not super into the stuff on Born in the USA but the B-side's a Tom Waites cover and it's wonderful.

Hey! Look! Irony!

Some samples of the more "miscellaneous" stuff. I don't know what sort of obsession people in the late '60s had with bullfight noise, but I've seen a lot of these records around. There's a lot more classical/historical stuff (it's the bulk of my Goodwill haul), but nobody wants to see it/I got tired of taking pictures. That George Carlin record is probably the best encapsulation of "that man's cocaine problem":

Wikipedia posted:

When asked in the January 1982 issue of Playboy if any of his albums had been done during a heavy cocaine period, Carlin said, "The Class Clown album was done totally sober. I'd realized what a hell I'd made for myself and I cleaned up completely for three months. You can hear the clarity of my thinking and of my speech on that album. But by the next one, Occupation: Foole, I was right back into the trip again. I'm more frantic, more breathless. You can hear how sick I am. If you want to see a cokehead, just look at the pictures on the Occupation: Foole album. The angles of my body show you an awful lot. I started doing coke to feel open but by that time the hole had opened so wide that I'd fallen through. The body language in those photos tells you everything."

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 6, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't know what sort of obsession people in the late '60s had with bullfight noise

That would be the contemporary "Tijuana sound" craze of faux Spanish style easy listening music spearheaded by Herb Alpert & TJB.

The immense success of this sub genre would produce about 800 million sound-alike groups.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:siren: the best album of the summer came today from Suicide Squeeze Records :siren:

Nu Sensae - Sundowning

I must have been in the first 100 pre-orders, I got a poster :swoon:

alg fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 6, 2012