Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Snowy posted:

I'm now trying to pick the next binge show. I'm starting on Spaced and Community- from the first impressions I'm liking Spaced more. Eventually I'll have to maybe watch Arrested Development.

Spaced is great, the only problem with it is that it goes too drat fast. British tv! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not true. You can watch it again with the cast/crew commentary. And then AGAIN with another commentary track with the cast and Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarrantino, Diablo Cody, and someone else.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Snowy posted:

I'm trying to make use of Hulu plus so I watched all of Misfits, which was pretty great.

I'm now trying to pick the next binge show. I'm starting on Spaced and Community- from the first impressions I'm liking Spaced more. Eventually I'll have to maybe watch Arrested Development.

I know you asked for drama recommendations, but keep an eye out for Party Down on Hulu or Netflix. It goes off and on and currently it's off, but considering your other comedy choices I think you'd like it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just binged Wilfred Season 1 and it was a lot more addictive than I thought it would be from reading the premise.

If you like your comedy really really dark, and you prefer laugh out loud moments to occur inside your head rather than actually laughing out loud (except for the episode featuring the stuffed giraffe - I defy anyone not to outwardly laugh at that), as well as the show having an intriguing and mysterious mythology that slowly unfolds without revealing too much, watch Wilfred.

Elijah Wood as a probably crazy, suicidal stoner falling into bad influence works surprisingly well. The whole show has an eerie, funny, uncomfortably familiar, hosed up vibe to it that I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is about it that makes it work so well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tupping Liberty posted:

I know you asked for drama recommendations, but keep an eye out for Party Down on Hulu or Netflix. It goes off and on and currently it's off, but considering your other comedy choices I think you'd like it.

I think it's off for good now, because Starz want to launch their own service. I can't second this recommendation enough, though.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Twin Peaks.

Just started season 2.

WHAT THE BALLS IS EVERYTHING

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

And then AGAIN with another commentary track with ... Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarrantino, Diablo Cody, and someone else.

Oh my god. I now know what my hell would be.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

jazz babies posted:

Twin Peaks.

Just started season 2.

WHAT THE BALLS IS EVERYTHING

There's an episode that still freaks me out to this day. You'll know it when you see it.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I started watching The Shield (on season 1). Julian is the biggest :smith: ever.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Over the past week I've been watching Deep Space 9 nonstop. I must have seen the series a million times, so I'm shocked to find that there's been at least two episodes that I haven't seen up to season five. Thank God for Netflix.

doublekappuger
Dec 20, 2011
I just finished going through all 3 seasons of Community, and before that it was Gargoyles (though I avoided the 3rd season like the plague.)

I wanted to start Modern Family because I started watching it in the middle of season 2, but my internet is so lovely, I can't stream Netflix, Hulu, anything. Hell, a 2 minute youtube clip takes 5 minutes to load.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

I watched all of the Breaking Bad episodes over a few week period before the start of the new season. Holy poo poo. What a great/intense/mind gently caress of a show.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's an episode that still freaks me out to this day. You'll know it when you see it.

The one with the dream sequence and the backwards-sounding talking?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

jazz babies posted:

The one with the dream sequence and the backwards-sounding talking?

That was weird, but not disturbing. It's a scene with Leland and Maddy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'm about to start Leverage. Are they any ongoing story arcs at all through the show or is it completely episodic?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

BlazinLow305 posted:

I think I'm about to start Leverage. Are they any ongoing story arcs at all through the show or is it completely episodic?

I just finished binge watching the first three seasons of Leverage thanks to a goon recommending it to me over in CineD. There are some ongoing arcs, especially once you hit season three, but mostly they stand alone with a couple of multi-part finales.

The thing you have to really watch out for is that you will develop an unquenchable love of Beth Riesgraf. Oh my word do I adore that woman. :3:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I finished Veronica Mars last night. I enjoyed the third season despite warnings it wasn't nearly as good as the first two. Kristen Bell and Enrico Colantoni were wonderful throughout, the supporting cast was always awesome (especially Logan giving so many people well-deserved beatdowns), and I loved seeing all the Party Down cast members show up throughout the series.

But when that final episode ended on a cliffhanger with so many subplots unresolved and so many directions a fourth season could have gone in, my wife and I both yelled "BULLSHIT!" in unison. It wasn't as bad as Twin Peaks' unintentional series finale, and it fit with the show's neo-noir aesthetic, but it was still a big disappointment.

I wonder if it would be worth starting a Veronica Mars thread in TVIV for late converts like myself.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was weird, but not disturbing. It's a scene with Leland and Maddy.

uh oh.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

You're going to look like the thing in your avatar.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I just finished Dexter season 4. I'd been avoiding it since the final twist had been spoiled for me, but I'm glad I finally watched it. It was surprisingly emotionally affecting, and the last couple episodes washed away most of the problems I'd had with the show to this point.

And now I hear that seasons 5 and 6 suck. I'll probably eventually check them out, though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Christmas Jones posted:

I just finished Dexter season 4. I'd been avoiding it since the final twist had been spoiled for me, but I'm glad I finally watched it. It was surprisingly emotionally affecting, and the last couple episodes washed away most of the problems I'd had with the show to this point.

And now I hear that seasons 5 and 6 suck. I'll probably eventually check them out, though.

Maybe you can help me out. I wanted to give Dexter another shot but I forget when I quit watching. It was near the beginning of the season with the blonde girl that Dexter found as a prisoner when he was killing someone. He had her as sort of a prisoner because she knew his secret when I bailed on the show. I think that might have been season four, but I don't really want to dig around and risk having stuff spoiled for me.

The spoiler tags probably aren't necessary, but I figured it was best to play it safe in this thread.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Maybe you can help me out. I wanted to give Dexter another shot but I forget when I quit watching. It was near the beginning of the season with the blonde girl that Dexter found as a prisoner when he was killing someone. He had her as sort of a prisoner because she knew his secret when I bailed on the show. I think that might have been season four, but I don't really want to dig around and risk having stuff spoiled for me.

The spoiler tags probably aren't necessary, but I figured it was best to play it safe in this thread.

Nah, you're talking about season 5. That was a good time to bail out, incidentally, it's pretty much been downhill since then, I think. I'm not entirely sure since I bailed near the beginning of season 6, but I think that's continued to be the consensus.

And it's a shame, because I think season 1 was basically fantastic, and both seasons 2 and 4 ranged from watchable to pretty drat good at times. It's sort of shocking that there's not only going to be a seventh season, but according to wikipedia they're already renewed for an eighth (and final) season as well.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 12, 2012

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
So I'm trying to watch the first episode of Newsroom, but holy poo poo the smug loving feel good, straw man soliloquy in the first episode was so embarrassing to watch I had to shut it off.

I'm a fan of the West Wing, but even at it's worst it wasn't that bad. What I'm trying to say: Is Newsroom actually worth it?

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 12, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

So I'm trying to watch the first episode of Newsroom, but holy poo poo the smug loving feel good, straw man soliloquy in the first episode was so embarrassing to watch I had to shut it off.

I'm a fan of the West Wing, but even at it's worst it wasn't that bad. What I',m trying to say, is Newsroom actually worth it?

The consensus of the Couch Chat Crew is that no, it's absolutely not worth it. I haven't seen it myself, but the more I read about it the more I want to never watch it ever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hobohemian posted:

I'm a fan of the West Wing, but even at it's worst it wasn't that bad. What I',m trying to say, is Newsroom actually worth it?

No.

I'm watching it but I also hate myself. The show is pretty bad and this is coming from someone that loves Sports Night and West Wing. I even own Studio 60 on DVD though in my defense it was like $6.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Newsroom can be a really enjoyable show and there are flashes of Sorkin brilliance but you have to suffer through a fair amount of poo poo to get there and for a lot of people it isn't worth it. I'll probably watch every episode but I'm a big fan of his style. Realistically it's for Sorkin fanboys only as a lot of it is his usual tropes turned up to 11.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
How did the same guy that wrote The Social Network also write this show? It must be a Lucas and Star Wars thing where much, much better people have to reign in his bullshit to make a good movie. Or maybe he should start doing coke again. I don't care, just end this atrocity of writing. Any more and he should be tried at the Hague for crimes against the English language.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 12, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Let us not forget David Fincher directed TSN which likely contributed just as much to it being good as Sorkin's work did.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nate RFB posted:

Let us not forget David Fincher directed TSN which likely contributed just as much to it being good as Sorkin's work did.
It's weird that Sorkin is the first name people think with TSN because people give the director more credit for basically every other movie ever made. And also Fincher rules.

ultramagnetic
Aug 3, 2012
I got I Dream of Jeannie from the library so I could be nostalgic about Larry Hagman. I never watched Dallas back in the day (my mom did) but he's still decent on this new show.

And then the new show Continuum made me want to go watch all of Rachel Nichols' oeuvre so I got The Inside. I want to binge on it but poo poo that's an intense show and I can't watch more than one episode per day.

Also binge watching The Thick of It.

Summer vacation is about to end so I still have time to do all this. We go back on the 15th and I think the kids arrive on the 20th.

P.S. Better Off Ted is still good for a run through even if you've seen each one twice before - I guarantee there's something funny that you didn't notice yet.

ultramagnetic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 12, 2012

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

It's just eight episodes, but I saw the first season of Veep in a day. It's like a weak season of The Thick of It, but it's still pretty good I thought.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

How did the same guy that wrote The Social Network also write this show? It must be a Lucas and Star Wars thing where much, much better people have to reign in his bullshit to make a good movie.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Once production starts (or in a lot of cases, as soon as the screenplay is bought), an average script writer has almost no say in how the movie turns out. Sorkin isn't an average script writer, but it was still Fincher's movie, not his.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

How did the same guy that wrote The Social Network also write this show? It must be a Lucas and Star Wars thing where much, much better people have to reign in his bullshit to make a good movie. Or maybe he should start doing coke again. I don't care, just end this atrocity of writing. Any more and he should be tried at the Hague for crimes against the English language.

Films will often bring in a second writer (or in cases of big star driven movies drat near twenty, ie Live Free or Die Hard). I'm sure they brought in a character/plot writer in and kept most of Sorkin's dialog.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

You're going to look like the thing in your avatar.

Leland was just arrested for the murder, but nothing weird has happened yet between them.

jazz babies fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 13, 2012

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should spoil that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just caught up with Doctor Who (the reboot) last night, so that's been all 6 series over a handful of months. What a great show. No, really, I always dismissed it out of hand because I thought it was some dumb niche nerd thing, but it's by far the most creative show on television right now and it's consistently funny, too.

Someone jokingly said in the Star Trek thread that Doctor Who would have to be cancelled for a new Star Trek show to appear, but gently caress that. As far as sci-fi television goes, Doctor Who is way more consistently awesome than Star Trek ever was, and I like TNG/DS9 a whole lot.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Bown posted:

You should spoil that.

Just for reference, I'm fairly certain that (very early season 2 Twin Peaks spoiler) the murder he's talking about in this case is that of Jacques Renault, whom Leland murdered because he honestly thought Jacques killed Laura.

In any case, I immediately knew what was being referred to as "that scene". Not that Twin Peaks isn't full of scenes one could describe as "that scene". But the scene in question really is *truly* terrifying. I almost can't believe it was on network TV in like 1991 or whenever it was exactly. What with all the heavy context going on, it was just SO upsetting and disturbing. And like a lot of Lynch's most vivid work, it has a sort of nightmarish fever dream quality that sticks in your head and is utterly impossible to completely forget.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 13, 2012

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Watching Game of Thrones ATM burned through season 1 over the weekend. The first episode seemed really boring to me, but once I started watching the second episode it just kept getting better and better. It really reminds me of the power game between generals to become Roman Emperor. Im going to start season 2, I might start watching Boardwalk Empire just to see how I like it.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

kaworu posted:

Just for reference, I'm fairly certain that (very early season 2 Twin Peaks spoiler) the murder he's talking about in this case is that of Jacques Renault, whom Leland murdered because he honestly thought Jacques killed Laura.

Yeah that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

WHAT THE gently caress I NEED AN ADULT :cry: :gonk: