Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

Auto-Battle weights numbers and stats highly(Cavalry suffer). Doesn't seem to take fortification into account(Good for offence siege, not so much for defences). Seemingly throws the units into melee combat, which sucks for archer-heavy forces and means that lots of heavy infantry are your friend.

Well since my Jerusalem faction has no shortage of heavy mounted knights and egypt keeps spamming arches and cavalry archers, this sounds promising.

Good to know about offensive sieges being easy too. Though I usually don't have trouble winning them when played out, I'll be able to save some time this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I am beginning to curse the existence of hills. I have a battle where the AI starts off near a forested one, and since I am attacking, they just move onto there and not budge. Any tips for that sort of situation, or should I retreat/let the autobattle handle it?
I'll assume this is Shogun 2. Since your opponent is on the defensive you actually have the advantage as you can control the course of battle.

Do you have more archers or have monk archers? Then use them to wither their army down.
If not, split your army and attack from multiple sides. Since the enemy won't budge from the hill, you have a perfect chance to surround them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Why? Because that unit of line infantry that's been with me since turn 1 is now vet 7 and gently caress, he's just as good at the higher tech unit now.

I've never really modded any TW game that much, but my personal tweaks to M2:TW has each level of Barracks/Stable/Range provide a +1 Experience bonus to the troops the previous tier unlocked; except Peasants because

It actually means that once I've spent 20k gold upgrading my Barracks, there's still some benefit in training Militia/Levy troops, because although they'll never be as good as their upgrade, they're cheaper and the extra experience means I'll get a bit more use out of them in a fight. 3 Silver-Chevron Archer Militia units are pretty handy to have knocking around a city or standing at the front of your army.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Anyone try the new DLC for shogun2? The new units aren't to amazing. 30 men, cost a lot and have a stupid amount of morale. The Yari cav hero is quite a beast. The ninja hero is probably my favorite. Carries 11 bombs and has 60 reload. I use them as a fire bomb thrower once my main lines are engaged and do quite well.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
Are there any good AI mods for Empire? If there aren't any mods that only change the AI I would prefer a mod that doesn't change the game too much.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Laterbase posted:

If you are attacking a castle it's best to autoresolve I find. Otherwise fight it manually.

Isn't that kind of cheating :kiddo:

edit: I fight every battle, even if it's my 1000 troops vs their 10. I'm worried I might be a closet sperg.

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 1, 2012

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's their own fault for not giving the defences a proper value in auto-resolve. It's not like that's the only reason to use auto-resolve: melee and archers tend to kind themselves with actual experience pips after auto-battle where normally it takes forever to earn them thanks to how the experience system works.

We're dealing with an AI that generally does not accept peace under the worst circumstance.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 1, 2012

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I auto resolve boring battles and fight the ones that I think will be interesting.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I auto resolve boring battles and fight the ones that I think will be interesting.

This, this is the way to play. If you think it will be fun then play it, don't suffer through boring battles.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I just got Shogun 2 with a friend - we're Medieval/Empire veterans, but we're getting spanked by the AI in test fights. Does anyone have any tips as to what units are good/bad? The spear Samurai seem to be good, and Ninja's seem to be obscene.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Just be aware that units route more easily in Shogun, so keep your guys supported

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Joink posted:

Anyone try the new DLC for shogun2? The new units aren't to amazing. 30 men, cost a lot and have a stupid amount of morale. The Yari cav hero is quite a beast. The ninja hero is probably my favorite. Carries 11 bombs and has 60 reload. I use them as a fire bomb thrower once my main lines are engaged and do quite well.
I've played a few multiplayer games and the new heroes seem to be about as overpriced as the old ones. They also don't have the morale auras that the old heroes do, except for tetsubo hero who does for some reason (might be worth taking since it also has more killing power than the katana hero for the same price and warcry on top of that). The yari cav hero has great guard level stats but costs more and you get half as many guys. The small unit size really limits the tanegashima hero's killing power.

At least the ninja hero seems fun, and maybe the naginata heroes could be worth putting hold firm on.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

I just got Shogun 2 with a friend - we're Medieval/Empire veterans, but we're getting spanked by the AI in test fights. Does anyone have any tips as to what units are good/bad? The spear Samurai seem to be good, and Ninja's seem to be obscene.

A unit's purpose depends mostly on the weapon it's armed with. It's a fairly straightforward rock/paper/scissors system. Spears will completely destroy anything that's on horseback but aren't much good against infantry. Katanas are excellent against infantry and will win against all other weapons in a protracted fight most of the time. Naginatas are sort of inbetween, better against horses than swords, better against infantry than spears but not as good as either. No-Dachis are brutal on the charge, but slightly worse than normal Katanas in the rest of the fight.

Additionally there are several "tiers" of units, who can be armed with most of these weapons:
-Ashigaru: Peasants, cheap and plentiful but with bad morale, armor and skill.
-Samurai: Your bread and butter. They're well armored with good morale and good combat skills
-Monks: Have outstanding morale and fighting skills, but no armor at all. Keep them well away from archers and the like.
-Samurai/Monk cavalry: Like their footslogging counterparts, but they get an increased charge bonus (especially with spears) in exchange for a great vulnerability to spears and arrows.

So you can pretty much look at the combination of unit type and weapon to figure out what they're good for. Spear Ashigaru are a great deterrent against cavalry but will be cut apart in melee by nearly anything else. Katana Samurai make for a fine core force that will win melees against most other units. Naginata Monks or Samurai make for fine reserves that can do fairly well against anything in a pinch.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 1, 2012

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET
I've had more success in Shogun 2 once I forced myself to realize my ashigaru units are good only as meatshields. More success, but still not a lot of success. What's stopping my campaigns dead in their tracks is how warring with one clan inevitably leads me stepping on some other clans toes. Perpetuating a cycle of war that I can't seem to break, and inevitably causing the shogun to declare war on me (as if I needed help making enemies in this game).

It just seems that alliances are awfully thin in Shogun 2, so I'm assuming I'm missing some subtlety in the diplomacy mechanics. I've had some vassals, but most of the time I'd just rather have their land than their unwavering support. I remain undeterred, but I'm tired of every campaign turning into an unmanageable poo poo-storm after 40 or so turns.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is, I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain stable alliances in Shogun 2 without resorting to shoveling money in their face.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm also finding it incredibly hard to manage the campaign. I figure I need katana units asap and use the following strategy: Yari Ashigaru to bog down enemy, katana then countercharge flank, ninja harass enemy back line. Right now I find my yari samurai just get bogged down and die.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yari Samurai are perfectly capable of dealing with ashigaru troops, if they're your main enemy at the moment, but the biggest difficult you'll have at the start is just lack of funds to support giant samurai armies so you'll only have a few units with ashigaru making up most of your forces.

Kisho ninja aren't even really necessary in general battle strategy; they're much more of a situational unit and probably more effective in multiplayer since you've got the psychological effect of ambushes and so on.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Renounced posted:

It just seems that alliances are awfully thin in Shogun 2, so I'm assuming I'm missing some subtlety in the diplomacy mechanics. I've had some vassals, but most of the time I'd just rather have their land than their unwavering support. I remain undeterred, but I'm tired of every campaign turning into an unmanageable poo poo-storm after 40 or so turns.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is, I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain stable alliances in Shogun 2 without resorting to shoveling money in their face.

One thing I learned somewhere (maybe here) is that you can treat Military Access like a Non-Agression Pact, the AI is willing to leave you alone and not suffer the big honour hit for backstabbing. If you can't ally with your neighbour then try for Military Access.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have multiple saves where my main asskicking army is actually made up of mainly ashigaru with maybe two units of katana samurai and one unit of light cav to chase down units.

It really works if you have a general with that last stand type ability, I forget the name of it. The one where the unit stays in place, the circle that effects his units goes out and his bodyguard form a square around him?

Then all you have to do is form a line of spearmen in spear wall formation, put the archers behind and charge the katana samurai up one side. They should cut their way up the line rather quickly.

I've used this strategy to take out similar sized armies of samurai. Overpowered general skills are overpowered.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

http://youtu.be/NjA9V1Vn2TE?t=5m53s

When I hear this, I feel genuine anger at my troops for their FAILURE. Love this game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lord Twisted posted:

http://youtu.be/NjA9V1Vn2TE?t=5m53s

When I hear this, I feel genuine anger at my troops for their FAILURE. Love this game.

I demand a Total War announcer remix with all of them now.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Rabhadh posted:

One thing I learned somewhere (maybe here) is that you can treat Military Access like a Non-Agression Pact, the AI is willing to leave you alone and not suffer the big honour hit for backstabbing. If you can't ally with your neighbour then try for Military Access.

I'll give this a shot, and I suppose if they're not willing to go this far with me it's also a pretty good indication of their intentions down the road.

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm also finding it incredibly hard to manage the campaign. I figure I need katana units asap and use the following strategy: Yari Ashigaru to bog down enemy, katana then countercharge flank, ninja harass enemy back line. Right now I find my yari samurai just get bogged down and die.

To be honest, I'm finding the preset formations the game has to work just fine in the campaign 90% of the time. Most of the time when trying to execute these flanking strategies with ashigaru in the mix, they'll just route before the rest of the army joins the battle. Missile strategies are hugely effective against ashigaru armies because of their low morale and total lack of armour, and all you need is a few companies of katana or naginata samurai to turn early battles far into your favor once the lines have engaged.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So NTW fans, how good is NTW3? seeing it is being made by the Lordz the classic guys behind 19th century Mods with games I must know.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

So NTW fans, how good is NTW3? seeing it is being made by the Lordz the classic guys behind 19th century Mods with games I must know.

I downloaded it but after reading the notes I found out that only the main campaign is done and the Penninsular campaign hasn't been worked on yet, so it's still exactly the same as vanilla, which is a bummer for me because it's my favorite campaign. So I haven't tried it yet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

I downloaded it but after reading the notes I found out that only the main campaign is done and the Penninsular campaign hasn't been worked on yet, so it's still exactly the same as vanilla, which is a bummer for me because it's my favorite campaign. So I haven't tried it yet.

How are they doing the American campaigns? did they cross port some ETW tables and are essentially using the East Coast of North and South America?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

How are they doing the American campaigns? did they cross port some ETW tables and are essentially using the East Coast of North and South America?

What? I'm talking about Peninsular Spain.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

What? I'm talking about Peninsular Spain.

They are doing a campaign set in the Americas as well, I can understand how they'd pull off a Peninsular one as it has it in the files.

But NTW doesn't have any American land masses.

Really shoudn't have quoted your post though out of habit as that does look stupid out of context.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Oh, I had no idea they were trying to do an American campaign. I thought that wasn't possible. Would be cool if they pulled it off though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Oh, I had no idea they were trying to do an American campaign. I thought that wasn't possible. Would be cool if they pulled it off though.

They've got the skins and all that sorted. Apparently the US really loved Independently uniformed Militias.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The map thing is the real trick. I was under the impression that maps just can't be edited. If they can be, that'd be a huge step, because there are so many awesome mods for NTW I can imagine if only they could have a map built for them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SeanBeansShako posted:

Their multiplayer stuff (which was their main focus until recently) was amazing so I would at least give it a shot.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Stainless Steel mod as Leon and it's pretty great. It's much harder than vanilla, it's taken about a hundred years to finally win all of Spain as every time I assault the Moors, some idiot Christian nation decides to invade.

Portugal decided to brake their alliance and attack me presumably because they noticed I had no troops near them, so I was like screw this and attacked them back. Somehow this gets me excommunicated even though they attacked me first, but now there's no Portugal left. Aragon keeps being aggressive too which is really annoying.

The problem is my reputation, I guess from the whole Portugal debacle, is really bad. I have four enemies and no alliances because everyone hates me. I've been reconciled with the Pope but every time I try to give the Papacy something or a regular tribute they turn me down.

How do I get my reputation back up a little so I can concentrate on Africa without the Aragonese, English and Sicilians being assholes?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

concerned mom posted:

I've been playing Stainless Steel mod as Leon and it's pretty great. It's much harder than vanilla, it's taken about a hundred years to finally win all of Spain as every time I assault the Moors, some idiot Christian nation decides to invade.

Portugal decided to brake their alliance and attack me presumably because they noticed I had no troops near them, so I was like screw this and attacked them back. Somehow this gets me excommunicated even though they attacked me first, but now there's no Portugal left. Aragon keeps being aggressive too which is really annoying.

The problem is my reputation, I guess from the whole Portugal debacle, is really bad. I have four enemies and no alliances because everyone hates me. I've been reconciled with the Pope but every time I try to give the Papacy something or a regular tribute they turn me down.

How do I get my reputation back up a little so I can concentrate on Africa without the Aragonese, English and Sicilians being assholes?

Isn't it obvious? Assassinate the pope! (so they elect a new one that will be more friendly)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hah ok, I'll try to do that thanks!

Oh another thing. I've been playing Total War games since Medieval but I never really learnt to play them properly I guess. I can win nearly every battle but the campaign itself I just sort of do the same stuff without really thinking what I'm doing.

Like, how come some cities I don't get any options to build anything but change to a town or a castle? Should I be making specific buildings in specific towns like only archery in one town, stables in the other etc?

I think I usually just do the land clearances and roads in every one then all my towns end up nearly identical as I get everything I can when it becomes available. Even now it seems like a bad idea. It's just sometimes you don't get any other option as the buildings don't seem to be available.

I think it's something to do with population growth, but I'm apparently dumb. Is there a decent post or wiki on to how to efficiently structure your cities?

nuclearaddict
Aug 2, 2006
I'd rather be playing DDR

SeanBeansShako posted:

Multiplayer is second to none, but for the campaign I still prefer Darth Mod.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

concerned mom posted:

Oh another thing. I've been playing Total War games since Medieval but I never really learnt to play them properly I guess. I can win nearly every battle but the campaign itself I just sort of do the same stuff without really thinking what I'm doing.

Like, how come some cities I don't get any options to build anything but change to a town or a castle? Should I be making specific buildings in specific towns like only archery in one town, stables in the other etc?

I think I usually just do the land clearances and roads in every one then all my towns end up nearly identical as I get everything I can when it becomes available. Even now it seems like a bad idea. It's just sometimes you don't get any other option as the buildings don't seem to be available.

I think it's something to do with population growth, but I'm apparently dumb. Is there a decent post or wiki on to how to efficiently structure your cities?

Population size dictates the size of your settlement, which is either a village/large town/city/large city/huge city. You have different levels of buildings available at each town centre size. So you can only build level 1 farms in a village, but if your population goes over the threshold for a large town you can buy the building (a 'town square') that turns that settlement into a large town and then the level 2 farm becomes available. In over to build a certain level of building, you need to have built the buildings preceding it - no skipping from an L1 farm to an L3.

With regards to military buildings, different levels of the same kind of building will give you different troops. So a level 1 barracks might let you train a poxy little spearman unit, while a level 5 barracks allows you to train uber death troops that tear throuhg lesser infantry like they were tissue paper.

Certain things will affect the growth rate of city population, like the inclusion of farms, certain other structures, tax rates, and some general's entourage members. If you open the building browser you should see what your population is, and how many more citizens you need to get to a city of the next size up.

Med2TW introduced Castles as a new kind of settlement. Basically, castles allow you to train better troops, while cities tend to grow faster, have a higher max population, and are better for building your economy. You need about a 2:1 city to castle mix, generally speaking, although some factions like Venice have excellent City barracks troops that basically allow you to stay away from needing castles until mid-game. You can switch a settlement between being a castle and a city-type settlement and back again (although doing so demolishes buildings that are incompatible with the new settlement type, so make sure you're okay with that!), with the one provision that once a city-type settlement expands beyond a Large Town and gains City status (~6000 population, plus building the City town square) they can no longer be transferred back into being a castle.

That being said, one trick is to build a city-type settlement with as many population-boosting buildings as you can to raise the population as high as it will go without buying the City town square (i.e. remain as a Large Town), and then convert it to a castle. Because City-style settlements grow so much faster than castles, this is a way to make high-tier military units available earlier in the game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

concerned mom posted:

Based on standard M2:

If you've run out of things to build, grow your towns/castles. Some things just aren't available till the town grows. High Chivalry is a massive boost to growth. In standard M2 at least it's possible to cheat the system a little in regards to villages/towns: The first 2/3? ranks of castle may be bought outright(After that you need growth), then you can switch to town and build it up at the new rank. Costs a bit, but it IS possible. You might even build some castle buildings that will be kept on switch, like the Barracks line and religious buildings, before actually doing the switch.

You want everything you can in your towns/castles, as having the option is always better than not having it, especially when it comes to militia-you only get the free upkeep for them if the building that produces them exists. The only thing that's potentially annoying/dangerous is the Brothel line, thanks to the traits it gives to generals who stay in the town.

In many ways you don't need to think about production except during times of little money. Then it pays to note that buildings are chosen to be built both as money permits, and in the case of a tie it chooses closest to the capital first. Generally you might want to play around with build queues to make sure what you want builds where you want.

Generally you want castles close to where you're fighting or potentially fighting. Assuming you want castles at ALL. That depends on faction.

EDIT: Tch. Too slow.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Awesome thanks guys, great replies, I'll try them out later!

I'm playing Stainless Steel so it's possibly a bit different to vanilla, but it just seems like I'm now at about 1180 and still am mostly fielding armies of Spear Militia. Then again it seems like all my enemies are too so maybe I'm not that far behind. That and now France have attacked me too, so that's 4 Christian nations and 1 Muslim nation; and no allies. And when I attack them back the Pope hates me. Bastard AI!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

nuclearaddict posted:

Multiplayer is second to none, but for the campaign I still prefer Darth Mod.

Great to know. Do you think their original Napoleonic stuff for Medieval 1 would work still with a copy of the game?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just got a 60 mb patch for Shogun 2 with no patch notes. Anyone have any idea what got added/changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Another tip is to look at what Guilds are available to your faction.
As you can only build one Guild per city/castle, what you want to do is train as many units of one type in a city/castle as is practical.

So, if you're the English and you want a Woodsman's Guild to get access to those sweet sweet Sherwood Archers, pick your castle of choice (Nottingham, 'cos where else would you train them?) and churn all of your archers out from there. Remember to decline whatever other guilds you're offered in that city/castle, since once you've got one, you won't get another until you demolish it.

The same goes for Theologian's/Assassin's Guilds. In fact, if you're a Muslim faction, it's even more important to get a high-level Assassin's Guild because Hashashim are awesome.