Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
What's the advantage of having two graphics cards if one is significantly better than the other?

Heat? Battery usage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Is there any sane way to rent a Macbook Air for a week and a half trip? I'm going on a trip, could really use an MBA to work on a few projects, but have no need or desire to purchase one long-term. I googled around and just kept finding rent-to-own type deals for people with lovely credit.

I'd need to rent one, be able to install software on it (not have it be locked down with a bunch of admin stuff), and then return it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

a bad poster yall posted:

What's the advantage of having two graphics cards if one is significantly better than the other?

Heat? Battery usage?

Pretty much, yeah - using the one built into the CPU during less intensive tasks helps keep the machine cool and uses less battery. You don't need much to run Pages.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

a bad poster yall posted:

Heat? Battery usage?

Yes to both. Switching to the discrete graphics kills battery life by more than half. Too bad Apple doesn't let you manually choose when to turn it off. You have to use a third party app to do it. I really don't need discrete graphics when I'm just using the Twitter app, Apple.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Is there any sane way to rent a Macbook Air for a week and a half trip? I'm going on a trip, could really use an MBA to work on a few projects, but have no need or desire to purchase one long-term. I googled around and just kept finding rent-to-own type deals for people with lovely credit.

I'd need to rent one, be able to install software on it (not have it be locked down with a bunch of admin stuff), and then return it.

You could take advantage of the generous return policy of Best Buy/Apple.

We've rented 15 laptops for a week from places like http://www.rentacomputer.com/rentals/computers/laptops/apple/macbook-air to put together a temporarly lab.

They just ship them, you use them and ship them back, it's convienent.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

You can abuse their return policy as long as it's not damaged/stolen. It's not a good thing to do because when policies are abused, they end up getting more strict/discontinued-- but the laptop you return will be refurbished and sold as such.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Yeah, I already thought about return policy abuse, but I decided not to because it would be unethical at best (I know I'm not going to keep it long-term), and too tempting to keep it at worst (I really, REALLY don't need a MBA, especially right now).

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Pretty much, yeah - using the one built into the CPU during less intensive tasks helps keep the machine cool and uses less battery. You don't need much to run Pages.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes to both. Switching to the discrete graphics kills battery life by more than half. Too bad Apple doesn't let you manually choose when to turn it off. You have to use a third party app to do it. I really don't need discrete graphics when I'm just using the Twitter app, Apple.

Thank you both.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm fairly sure that a certain subset of Core Animation invokes the discrete card for performance reasons, the Twitter (and other apps) devs should be aware of this and work around it, in my opinion.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Neurophonic posted:

I'm fairly sure that a certain subset of Core Animation invokes the discrete card for performance reasons, the Twitter (and other apps) devs should be aware of this and work around it, in my opinion.

I've found that ML forces the discrete card much less than Lion ever did (with the exception of multi monitor).

Is anyone else noticing this?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

This is a bug for Twitter to fix. The Twitter app is using custom drawing that AppKit cannot automatically determine is integrated-friendly. There's a plist key the Twitter app should adopt to declare itself integrated-friendly.

But seeing as there doesn't seem to be any development on the Mac Twitter app...

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Akujunkan posted:

Going absolutely crazy with some Macbook Air wifi problems and hoping some of you can help.

Problem: Getting < 10 Mbps downstream via Speedtest.net with Bluetooth enabled, < 15 Mbps with Bluetooth disabled. Upstream is actually faster consistently, a bit over 10 Mbps.

It's very inconsistent. In the past few hours I've testing I topped 20 Mbps, once. Then just the past few minutes I got 1.5 Mbps (with Bluetooth disabled).

Causes Eliminated:
  • ISP. PC connected via ethernet gets 70 Mbps
  • Router. Replaced a Buffalo router running DD-WRT with a Asus router running Tomato.
  • Wifi: iPhone on the same network gets over 20 Mbps (if it's in range of a MBA with Bluetooth on however, that speed is greatly reduced)
  • Computer: My wife has a Macbook Air that has the exact same issue
  • Outdated OS: We're both on Mountain Lion but had this issue on Lion as well
  • General Wifi issues: My link speed in the menu shows 72 and the Network Utility link speed shows 144 Mbit/s

Fixes Attempted:
  • As mentioned above, disabling Bluetooth increases the speed by ~5 Mbps. Unfortunately this makes all of our Bluetooth keyboards and mice useless. However if I was able to disable Bluetooth and get > 15 Mbps I'd be at least a bit happier
  • Went to Network -> Set Service Order and put Wi-Fi above Bluetooth. This actually increased speeds from 1 Mbps (lol) to 10.
  • Plugged in manual Google DNS
  • Replaced wireless router (mentioned above)
  • Changed wireless channel several times
  • Forced N only mode
  • Disabled wireless security
  • Moved around to different locations including right next to the router

I'm going loving crazy :(

The overall issue is just that the speed is lower when Bluetooth is turned on? Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi?

Bluetooth is 2.4 GHz. It's probably not entirely unanticipated that WiFi might be a bit slower when using 2.4 GHz WiFi plus 2.4 GHz Bluetooth. (And it's possible the MacBook Air is just using the same antenna for both, rapidly switching between.)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Akujunkan posted:

Causes Eliminated:
  • ISP. PC connected via ethernet gets 70 Mbps
  • Router. Replaced a Buffalo router running DD-WRT with a Asus router running Tomato.
  • Wifi: iPhone on the same network gets over 20 Mbps (if it's in range of a MBA with Bluetooth on however, that speed is greatly reduced)
  • Computer: My wife has a Macbook Air that has the exact same issue
  • Outdated OS: We're both on Mountain Lion but had this issue on Lion as well
  • General Wifi issues: My link speed in the menu shows 72 and the Network Utility link speed shows 144 Mbit/s

I'm going loving crazy :(

What router are you using? This sounds like it's configured for single-stream 2.4ghz only, esp cause of the 72mbps part. Get a dual-band router if you don't already have one. With wifi overhead you will never get 70 mbps that way, more like mid-20ish at best in the real world.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

IPV6 is off.

Search domain is companyname.local like it its on the other machines. No WINS, latest OS updates, netmask is 255.255.255.0 like the rest of the machines.
Don't have experience with server stiff, but I've heard using .local can gently caress things up since (I'm guessing) it interferes with Bonjour, which uses .local too. Like it might be trying to resolve companyname.local as a Bonjour address and getting hung up on that.

This might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3473
Maybe this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738121%28WS.10%29.aspx

And other stuff of that nature, just look for ".local domain bonjour conflict" or something in Google. From a quick glance it sounds like adding another level like blah.companyname.local might get around it, if that's what you're running into.

If that doesn't help, look in Console and see if anything helpful pops up when trying to connect.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to know of anyone's experiences using a newer Mini as a home server, specifically for Time Machine and other backups (Like Crashplan). I'm considering buying a base model Mini, throwing ML Server on it and using it for the aforementioned as well as SABnzbd+, PS3 Media Server, Air Video, Plex, and my god-awful printer drivers.

Right now I run my backups and my various multimedia services off my iMac, which I also use for work, and it's getting a bit tiring having all that crap running on it. Plus, when I connect to the VPN it causes some issues both locally and remotely.

I'm not sure how I'd go about expanding storage. I have some external USB2 drives I use now, but I'd like to move to something faster. I suppose I'll just have to wait for Thunderbolt storage to get more reasonable (yeah right).

Edit: Looks like it's been a year since update. I suppose that means we might get a refresh with USB3 soon. That would help the external storage situation.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 3, 2012

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Sorry if this question has already been answered:

I have a 15-inch 2010 MacBook Pro. A number of the body screws are missing, and 3 out of 4 of the rubber "feet" are gone.

Where can I reliably get replacements for these things?

is eBay my best bet for this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm not sure how I'd go about expanding storage. I have some external USB2 drives I use now, but I'd like to move to something faster. I suppose I'll just have to wait for Thunderbolt storage to get more reasonable (yeah right).

FW800?

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

is eBay my best bet for this?

Looks like Apple has a process for replacing the bottom feet. I would see about going to an Apple Store and having a Genius take a look at it, it's a small enough part they may just slap them on there if they're not too busy. I know they'll replace the screws, I had to get a couple from them for my 2009 Macbook ages ago.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm hoping to get rid of my USB external drive. Naturally I started looking at the Time Capsule. Would I be able to not only store my iTunes library on there, but stream my huge lossless files without any skips, considering an iPad and maybe another computer are connected at the same time? I don't really know how good Wireless N is, I guess.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

bulbous nub posted:

Looks like Apple has a process for replacing the bottom feet. I would see about going to an Apple Store and having a Genius take a look at it, it's a small enough part they may just slap them on there if they're not too busy. I know they'll replace the screws, I had to get a couple from them for my 2009 Macbook ages ago.

If he's still under AppleCare the feet will be replaced for free and the screws can be ordered as well if his store doesn't already have them. If he's not under AppleCare they're $10 per foot (HA!).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm hoping to get rid of my USB external drive. Naturally I started looking at the Time Capsule. Would I be able to not only store my iTunes library on there, but stream my huge lossless files without any skips, considering an iPad and maybe another computer are connected at the same time? I don't really know how good Wireless N is, I guess.

I think you will need a real server / NAS for this. I looked into the time capsule for this, and it really is designed for backups only, not full fledged NAS duty, at least it was when I got mine.

Everything I looked into turning this into a NAS involved a unstable hack so I ended up returning mine. I'd recommend looking into the Synology NAS units to do what you are looking to do.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

1997 posted:

If he's still under AppleCare the feet will be replaced for free and the screws can be ordered as well if his store doesn't already have them. If he's not under AppleCare they're $10 per foot (HA!).

Is it the same for the Air? One of the feet on my 6 month old MBA is warped.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

1997 posted:

I was at an Apple Store having my HDD cable replaced and the dude next to me had a MBP that was 8 months out of warranty, missing a foot. The genius just made sure to ask something like, 'oh, this fell off like a year ago, RIGHT?' and covered it for free.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I ended up paying for the two missing feet ($10 each) and they replaced the missing screws for free. they said it wouldn't be done until the next day, but it actually took just about an hour.

I'm happy with the result. thanks guys!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've had my Air (Mid 2009) in for repair with an Apple affiliate, they put in a new HDD because my old one stopped working. Now the screws are coming loose on the bottom, should I return it or just buy new screws myself? I don't want to void my AppleCare which lasts until December this year but to turn it in for such a minor thing also seems dumb.

And I don't feel that this warrants a thread in Tech Support put please tell me if this is dumb.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

:stare: good lord, that's expensive for some tiny slabs of rubber.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

jink posted:

I've found that ML forces the discrete card much less than Lion ever did (with the exception of multi monitor).

Is anyone else noticing this?

I second this. Per gfxCardStatus, Twitter apps like Janetter were forcing the switch to discrete under Lion. It no longer does so under Mountain Lion on a MBPr.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

lord funk posted:

Tiny slabs of rubber.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boatswain posted:

I've had my Air (Mid 2009) in for repair with an Apple affiliate, they put in a new HDD because my old one stopped working. Now the screws are coming loose on the bottom, should I return it or just buy new screws myself? I don't want to void my AppleCare which lasts until December this year but to turn it in for such a minor thing also seems dumb.

And I don't feel that this warrants a thread in Tech Support put please tell me if this is dumb.

Just put some blue loctite on the screws and tighten it back up. It won't come loose again. That's what they'll do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lord funk posted:

Itemized:
Bits of rubber - $0.10
Keeping the things in the back of the Apple store for years until someone needs one - $9.90

Same goes for a lot of stuff like that...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I've had keys and key clips replaced, and they've never charged me. Seems a bit odd that it suddenly costs the same as lunch to get one rubber foot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lord funk posted:

I've had keys and key clips replaced, and they've never charged me. Seems a bit odd that it suddenly costs the same as lunch to get one rubber foot.

I was more explaining why list price is what it is... maybe the guy (excuse me, genius) was just not a charitable mood?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The keys individually aren't inventoried so you don't get charged for them. The feet have their own part numbers so you do get charged. I think it's pretty dumb too.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'm guessing the answer is no, but is it possible to use a 2012 11" MBA's display in conjunction with a Mac Mini? In other words, I want the Mini to output its video to the MBA display. I know this can be done with iMacs...

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
this is why it's good to clean out your macbooks every few years

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

this is why it's good to clean out your macbooks every few years

That looks like something out of Star Trek: First Contact.

But it's always a good idea to check up on your laptop once a year or so.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Can I replace a new Air 128GB SSD with a bigger one later on down the road?

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Can I replace a new Air 128GB SSD with a bigger one later on down the road?
OWC sells SSDs for all Air models. They are a bit more expensive than conventional SSDs, unfortunately.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

ufarn posted:

That looks like something out of Star Trek: First Contact.

But it's always a good idea to check up on your laptop once a year or so.

Definitely, I got this A1278 MacBook used but it was showing temps never below 70c so I was super worried.

I took out the fan and the entire side duct was filled with what had turned into one solid brick of dust, and then there was all that dust under the heat sink too.

Between that and replacing the thermal paste with some MX4 I'm idling at 41c instead of 68c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Is $500 for a 30" ACD a good deal? It's in like new condition.