Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Well I almost had a full blown meltdown today. Trying to get 3 piece non welded headers to go into the heads and then meet in the collector helped me teach all the neighborhood kids the F word.

Here's the frustrations I was having.

http://imgur.com/a/NqtRh

and thankfully after calming down, actually putting the top connector springs on the top of the header into the exhaust flanges I was able to finally wedge in the bottoms to the collector. It took about 20 mins of tapping the header pipes with a puck to get them deep enough to hook the springs up but I finally got her installed and leak tested. Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's a pretty snazzy looking pipe. Is it a custom job?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

clutchpuck posted:

That's a pretty snazzy looking pipe. Is it a custom job?

Leo Vince GP Pro EVOII, I havent seen many Street triples with them. The triumph forums people seem to hate the bare look of them. They're a good chunk cheaper than the Arrow 3to1 full system and Leo Vince is a good company so I went for it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My front brake light switch broke and screw paying $15 or something for a new one (ones for my Yamaha weren't even half that, but at least I would have been able to cross shop this one as it's common to Buell/Suzuki/Honda) so I cracked it open and removed a bit of corrosion from the switch contacts. Seems to have helped, fingers crossed.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Saga posted:

Mine is from an '01 RSV and I noticed the same thing - preload is like 1cm vesus (IDK) like 6 cm on the sachs. So possibly that's just how they're set up.

You could have a dead Ohlins, but if you haven't had them before, a good shock often feels softer because the damping is better. The wheel moves and the damper absorbs movement better rather than kicking you upwards, so it feels like the shock is soft.

I was actually very impressed with how smooth it was riding on my street which is so bumpy that usually I just stand up on the pegs.
I do think its got a bit too much sag though, the rear feels noticeably lower than with the sachs when I sit on it, and it should be higher. I did some reading and I'm going to take the shock out tonight and adjust the length to the maximum, then go from there.

Mine is from an rsv also - 2007 factory I think.

Edit - Took shock out, extended the ride height adjuster and put it back in, it feels more like what i was expecting, still a little soft but will take it into shop for adjustment tomorrow.

edit part deux - The sag was totally off, the rebound was way off, compression was off also. The shop set it up quite firmly, probably good for the track, I need to back the compression damping off a little I think. Muuuuuch better than before though.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 5, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
On the WRX:

1. Sprayed bedliner on the underside of the skidplate, killed the excess noise considerably.

2. Pulled the chain off and cleaned/lubed it, I love clip-style masterlinks.

3. Went -1 in the front and now it clutches up second easy.

4. Got a flat tire.

On the Husky:

1. Pulled the carb off in preparation for a rejet

2. Found out my fuel catch shifted over and was touching the exhaust.

It's been a two steps forward, three steps back kinda weekend.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Today I fitted my new aluminium tax disk holder and Skidmarx bellypan to my Shiver - would post pictures but the incredibly tight confines of my garden precluded it and I'm not wheeling it out just to take pictures for the internet, you can wait until tomorrow.

(I actually would have taken it out but I had to fit it in a lull between pissing rain).

I was also going to fit the hugger I ordered at the same time but with numbing inevitability two of the bolt heads on the bracket holding my back brake line, which are repurposed by the hugger kit, cammed out when I got within two feet of them with an allen key. (In fairness to Aprilia none of the other bolts I removed today gave me the slightest problems).

I was taking it into the garage to have the brakes done (I'm too much of a numpty to ever dare touch safety-critical stuff like that myself) and they've said they'll drill out the old bolts free of charge when they do the brakes, which was nice of them - I could probably do it myself but it's such an awkward position (under the swingarm) that I'm happy to let them do it.

Quick word of praise for Skidmarx - I ordered the stuff late Wednesday night and, even though it had to be fabricated to order (and I cocked up and accidentally ordered the belly pan in white), it was with me on Saturday morning. It also went on with an absolute minimum of fuss. Literally the only gripes I could have is that the instructions could have been a little bit clearer (printing greyscale pictures on yellow paper doesn't work brilliantly) and the heat-shield tape they packaged with it for the parts next to the exhaust doesn't actually stick, so it's being held in place with gaffer tape until some new stuff comes in.

Anyway those are tiny problems in the grand scheme of things and would be counteracted just by the name, which appeals to both my left-wing political leanings and love of poo jokes, let alone the excellent service they gave.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Flushed both bikes with DOT 5.1, found out that the screw holding the rear fluid reservoir had vibrated out somewhere between now and a thousand miles ago :stare:. I put a new one in there right quick.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
I've never worked on motorcycles before, so today was a big day for me. My first foray into this stuff.

Not a big job, but a first step that went well: I disassembled the instrument panel on my CB250 RS to get rid of a dead spider on the speedometer needle and a dead wasp in the rev counter. How they hell did they even get in there?

Most importantly, I feel like I've broken the ice in dealing with motor vehicles and I look forward to learning lots more.

Any advice for learning to work on bikes? :3:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

New exhaust installed. It's a piece of 2" pipe expanded up to 2 1/8" OD to fit in the collector. Cut with a chopsaw. I'll file it off at work; I don't have a half-round here at home.

Not noticably louder at highway speed. Bit of a buzzy thing going on between 2 and 3k. Removed the rearsets while I was at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wider view of your shitbox plz.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

n8r posted:

Wider view of your shitbox plz.
This please.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

New exhaust installed. It's a piece of 2" pipe expanded up to 2 1/8" OD to fit in the collector. Cut with a chopsaw. I'll file it off at work; I don't have a half-round here at home.

Not noticably louder at highway speed. Bit of a buzzy thing going on between 2 and 3k. Removed the rearsets while I was at it.

That's not an exhaust, that's scaffolding.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Stamp it "FLOWMASTER" and no-one will know you made it yourself.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get a termi logo to slap on there and all the ducati bros will be jelly as helly

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Stamp it Home Depot for ironic hipster cred.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Stamp it with an American flag and the Harley guys will invite you to Sturgis.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There's nothing you can stamp on it that will make BMW people like you.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Dealer gave me the wrong size oil filter. Doh.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mouko posted:

Any advice for learning to work on bikes? :3:

From one newbie to another, https://www.dansmc.com has been the best all-purpose free resource that I have found. He's religious yet aware that all people don't dig on that and tones it down for the most part, but it seems like he covers just about everything. There's even a checklist for starting out your tool kit. Also I think most people would say to buy the service manual for your particular bike, and read it front to back. You're off to a good start, begin with the small poo poo and work your way up.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

GanjamonII posted:

Dealer gave me the wrong size oil filter. Doh.

JD Jetting gave me the wrong size jet. Goddammit.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

marauderthirty posted:

From one newbie to another, https://www.dansmc.com has been the best all-purpose free resource that I have found. He's religious yet aware that all people don't dig on that and tones it down for the most part, but it seems like he covers just about everything. There's even a checklist for starting out your tool kit. Also I think most people would say to buy the service manual for your particular bike, and read it front to back. You're off to a good start, begin with the small poo poo and work your way up.

Thanks, I'll refer to it.

I have a scan of the owner's manual and a hard copy of then service manual. I do a lot of work on bicycles so I have a few tools, but my birthday list this year will definitely contain a decent set of spanners and a torque wrench. :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gnaghi posted:

JD Jetting gave me the wrong size jet. Goddammit.

Sigutech forgot to put my clutch slave in the box entirely. gently caress.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There's nothing you can stamp on it that will make BMW people like you.

"Rheinmetall 3.7 cm Flak 18"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I finally loving got it running.

Turns out the points advancer was put back together incorrectly. Huh...

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/08/she-purrs-like-machine-gun.html

I still need to re-jet the carb but all in all it sounds solid.

Edit: okay I don't really NEED to rejet. I just pulled the float bowl and the main jet had backed itself out. I'm going to throw a 110 in lieu of the 105 anyway and see how it goes.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 8, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Finally got the rear hugger on to match the new belly pan:

Excuse lovely cell phone pic and dodgy company car park background - did the work at the office on my lunch break because I realised there's a shitload more space here than in my tiny garden.

This could only be done after I got A Real Man in to drill out the two bolts under the swingarm on the rear brake hose bracket which had welded themselves in well and truly - while he was doing it he also rebuilt the right front caliper for me as it was partially seized.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I spent most of yesterday evening inspecting ring gaps and piston clearance on these parts.

Then I masturbated furiously in anticipation of the rebuild this weekend. Those are cylinders, pistons and all the trimmings to transform my 750 into an 850. :whatup:

Check gaps. :fap:

Clean parts. :fap:

Polish up the fins. :fap:

Polish my knob. :fap:

On Saturday, Nerobro and I will tear things down and do other dirty, dirty things. We have the technology to make my bike better, stronger, faster . . .

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GoddamnedTwisto posted:

This could only be done after I got A Real Man in to drill out the two bolts under the swingarm on the rear brake hose bracket which had welded themselves in well and truly - while he was doing it he also rebuilt the right front caliper for me as it was partially seized.

How about a nice Nitron emulsion shock? Looks like that should be swappable without squeezing any Real Men into your "tiny garden" :stare:.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

How about a nice Nitron emulsion shock? Looks like that should be swappable without squeezing any Real Men into your "tiny garden" :stare:.

You leave my tiny garden out of this.

Funnily enough I was looking at upgrading the suspension, which has always been a bit spongy for my tastes and is only getting worse with age. I'd need to invest in an Abba stand or something similar though because I only have paddock stands, which are obviously problematic when trying to remove the shock.

Hmm, if nothing else I should buy the stand anyway cos I loving hate paddock stands, and it's still cheaper than the Official Aprilia Product (tm) centre stand kit that fucks up the ground clearance.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You leave my tiny garden out of this.

Funnily enough I was looking at upgrading the suspension, which has always been a bit spongy for my tastes and is only getting worse with age. I'd need to invest in an Abba stand or something similar though because I only have paddock stands, which are obviously problematic when trying to remove the shock.

Hmm, if nothing else I should buy the stand anyway cos I loving hate paddock stands, and it's still cheaper than the Official Aprilia Product (tm) centre stand kit that fucks up the ground clearance.

You could do that shock by just locking the steering and jacking up the back of the bike on the opposite side of the swing arm, making a tripod between the stand, jack and front wheel. The best jack is a carpenters squeeze-grip clamp flipped around to become a spreader. The steel spined Irwin ones are about 20 quid. It's also brilliant for lifting each end for cleaning your chain and wheels.

As for me, baby got new plastics, a new exhaust and re-mapped for the K&N/exhaust combo:

Haven't actually test ridden her to see how the re-mapping went; I need to wait for her to get stone-cold so I can run the 15 minute engine calibration. I've used a slightly richer version of the already quite rich factory open-pipe map to account for the K&N pod filter. Next up will be welding in a bung on the exhaust for fitting my fancy new wideband O2 sensor kit to establish if there are any lean spots in the rev range.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 9, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Still no two tone wheels. You ain't blingin' son

(really like your bike)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I gooned up my helmet in an effort to be seen better after my friend took this picture when we were going thru a tunnel

Since all you can see is my plate, tail light and tiny little reflector on my jacket, I got some tape to put on my bike and helmet. I got a bit more of a red/white tape on the tail kit and this on my helmet now. Might try to find 1 more spot to put some tape on the bike.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

nsaP posted:

I gooned up my helmet in an effort to be seen better after my friend took this picture when we were going thru a tunnel

Since all you can see is my plate, tail light and tiny little reflector on my jacket, I got some tape to put on my bike and helmet. I got a bit more of a red/white tape on the tail kit and this on my helmet now. Might try to find 1 more spot to put some tape on the bike.

Funny I just went to Home Depot and bought a reflective safety vest from their OSHA crap isle, I realized that my bike is black and my ATGATT is black which isn't so great in all the dusk->dark riding I do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

You could do that shock by just locking the steering and jacking up the back of the bike on the opposite side of the swing arm, making a tripod between the stand, jack and front wheel. The best jack is a carpenters squeeze-grip clamp flipped around to become a spreader. The steel spined Irwin ones are about 20 quid. It's also brilliant for lifting each end for cleaning your chain and wheels.

Thanks for the advice but the exhaust routes under the engine and there's not much of a platform to jack on. It's another of those bits of "character" you have to put up with for such a Superior Machine.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thanks for the advice but the exhaust routes under the engine and there's not much of a platform to jack on. It's another of those bits of "character" you have to put up with for such a Superior Machine.

You could pop it under that foot peg hanger quite easily. Remember, it's only taking about 1/3 of the weight, the rest is shared on the front wheel and kickstand. I've lifted Harleys this way :)

I posted:

Haven't actually test ridden her to see how the re-mapping went; I need to wait for her to get stone-cold so I can run the 15 minute engine calibration.

Got up early and did the reset before my commute to work, bike is going like a rocket, sounding great and the jerky leaning out at small throttle openings is gone. I have to take a long ride at lunch to run some errands, oh what a shame :)

For fellow 690 owners, regardless of exhaust/filter set up, get a cable and follow this guide, it's really improved the bike. Apparently it pretty much eliminates the stalling and 'flame-outs' too.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
This morning, I installed my new, e-marked and road legal Mivv GP exhaust on the Tuono.

Due to the akrapovic link pipe having welded itself to the mid pipe beyond the abilities of heat and a bloody great rubber mallet to remove, I picked up a replacement midpipe off ebay that has a crossover welded in between the down pipes before the 2-1 union. Theoretically boosts mid range or summat on the mark 1 rotax motors which were designed for 2-1 systems, the later bikes going to 2-2.

After some heaving on the midpipe with a tyre iron, it's in. I can recommend to fellow rotax / Tuono owners, if you want a quiet zorst, do NOT get a Mivv. With the baffle _in_, it's nearly as loud as the akra race can. Just more raspy. The restriction on the baffle is massive, so if you took that out, it would just set off car alarms in the next county.

On one hand, it's got the sound and lithe dimensions of a race can, but still road legal and e-marked. But on the other, it's basically going to be volvo and neighbour -baiting all the time, with no stealth option. Still, looks nice on the bike.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Valve adjustment!

I thought the bike looked really funny naked, so here's a picture.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

stevobob posted:

Valve adjustment!

I thought the bike looked really funny naked, so here's a picture.

It's scary how similar that looks to my nx125 when naked, I suppose most light weight dual sportish bikes look the same underneath.

And to make this a less-useless post I messed around with carb settings on the nx125...drat mixture screw requires the entire carb be removed to tweak. It tops out at 60mph now, I think it may have 65mph if I get the settings right. Should pry check the valves.

Track bike is almost running finally. Have a fueling issue I need to sort out but it starts and idles sometimes now.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 11, 2012

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
last time I posted about the penis someone helpfully painted on my windshield, I scrubbed a lot of it off but you can still see the balls and a bit of shaft:

yesterday I reupholstered my seat:

also found out the hard way that my bike is not a dirt bike. Slo-mo crashed in some mud:

somehow this made my headlight start on fire :gonk:
guess that gives me another project for next week. 1 step forward, 100 back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This looks great, any more pictures or info? I'm thinking I'll reupholster my seat this winter, because it has some weird sticky poo poo on it that I can't get off - tried, Goo-Gone, Spray Nine, soap and water, brake cleaner and a bunch of other poo poo. Plus the blue is faded and uneven.