Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm more than happy to blame Adobe for that particular issue, to be fair.

Although it's not about Opera, this site refers to some of the horrific bugs Adobe's flash-based UIs encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Tesseraction posted:

I'm more than happy to blame Adobe for that particular issue, to be fair.

Although it's not about Opera, this site refers to some of the horrific bugs Adobe's flash-based UIs encounter.

Oddly enough, I've had mixed results with Adobe Flash Player and Opera 12. On my laptop there have been no issues and everything "upgraded" hunky dorey. Opera 12 is fine and runs everything with no problem.

On my home desktop however, every time I try to play a flash movie, regardless of website, "YOU MUST UPGRADE TEH FLASH". So I did. Even following a system restart, try to do the same and "YOU MUST UPGRADE TEH FLASH".

Roll back to Opera 11.64 and problem went away.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Is it possible to auto-backup my session? Sometimes Opera forgets I had one if my computer crashes or the power goes or something. I suppose that's what I get for using tabs as bookmarks but still :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think it does automatically. My
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera Next\sessions
has an autosave.win and an autosave.win.bak

If the .bak is way larger, nuke autosave.win and replace it with autosave.win.bak.

I've never actually needed this though. Even when everything crashes, it's loaded back up fine. I think it saves the autosave periodically regardless of exit status.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

I think it does automatically. My
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera Next\sessions
has an autosave.win and an autosave.win.bak

If the .bak is way larger, nuke autosave.win and replace it with autosave.win.bak.

I've never actually needed this though. Even when everything crashes, it's loaded back up fine. I think it saves the autosave periodically regardless of exit status.
Do not rely on that. I have never managed to recover a session after a serious crash - ever.

On another note, starting no more than around four days ago, Opera's performance has become insufferable to the point of useless. I've had to switch to Chrome, because Opera feels like browsing on a toaster.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is up? This happens even with only a handful of tabs open.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Open opera:cpu in a new tab and see if there is something obvious there.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Opera (Mac) now tourinely stops accepting track pad input. After an Opera restart everything is fine.

The Wand is now the only reason I am using Opera.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Wheany posted:

Open opera:cpu in a new tab and see if there is something obvious there.
Nothing over 1-3%. It's really, really weird. It takes something like one second for each character to show up, when I type a tweet on Twitter's website.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Twitter was actually problematic for me too when I had several Twitter tabs open. Now that I only use one tab, there doesn't seem to be any issues.

e: Oh, and most of your tabs should be a flat 0% in opera:cpu. At least in my experience.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

ufarn posted:

Do not rely on that. I have never managed to recover a session after a serious crash - ever.
Sometimes I've found that terminating the process as soon as it freezes rather than waiting for it to close on its own will end up having the autosaved session come up properly, but you mightn't mean that when you say serious crash.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sadly random CTDs have increased tenfold in frequency after i carelessly allowed the most recent auto-update (Version 12.01 internal Build 1473 to Version 12.50 internal Build 1497) :smith:. Still, in years i've probably had the session backup fail only two or three times otal - far more commonly i drag out a videotab into its own window on a second monitor and then accidentally close the primary window with its dozens over dozens of tabs (meaning that after closing the other window, the stored session will only contain the single video tab).

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 16, 2012

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The 12.50 build has been very, very stable for me, except for common flash plugin crashes. Otherwise it's been miles ahead of the 12.00 release. This might have more to do with me wiping my profile directory and starting over, though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This new build has been worse for me than the previous one. It crashes like once a day, instead of never. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with flash though. Each time it's occurred when I open a new tab, google search for whatever, and click a result.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^ Same here, as compared to the 12.01 build. *

It randomly crashes (with crash report prompt) or stops responding (and windows shut it down, but no auto-crash report), and not only on flash based sites or site with flash content/video. It's probably not once every day, but it's still very annoying.

*. by the way, what's up with skipping the 12.01 build and going on directly to 12.5. It seems like a very arbitrary development decision. (Or are they not leaving the 12.01 branch? )

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lakitu7 posted:

This new build has been worse for me than the previous one. It crashes like once a day, instead of never. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with flash though. Each time it's occurred when I open a new tab, google search for whatever, and click a result.
Oh yeah, now that you mention it, the 'google search result click' actually seems to be a majority of the crashes. Weird.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

ufarn posted:

On another note, starting no more than around four days ago, Opera's performance has become insufferable to the point of useless. I've had to switch to Chrome, because Opera feels like browsing on a toaster.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is up? This happens even with only a handful of tabs open.

I'm getting this too. The opera:cpu page shows that none of the pages have any usage but the 'Other' category is stuck on 25%. A restart fixes the problem for a short time but it doesn't seem to last. Very frustrating :(

e: oh look at that. Clearing the download tab fixes the problem. Strange and still annoying though!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, the 'google search result click' actually seems to be a majority of the crashes. Weird.

Google likes to use javascript to redirect those clicks through their owns servers first (it can make copying a search result's url a pain). Maybe the crash is related to javascript?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Has anyone had any luck getting Google Play to work? I found some free music promo and I've tried various settings but when I click play nothing happens. 11.64 on linux here, do any of the 12.x builds work?

edit: It looks like just downloading may work, and the downloadable "music manager" seems to work but only gives the option of downloading *everything* which I'm not sure I want to do, though I was probably going to just download what I liked anyway.

edit2: still no luck with the new 12.01 build. :argh:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 21, 2012

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
They have a new 12.01 build out (1517) that now installs over your stable 12.00 Opera (it's not in the Opera-Next branch anymore!).

It has a bunch of crash fixes and some of the HTML5 drag and drop fixes have been ported in this one too.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You can force it to install over a Next build, if you want. I did that since I just use Next installs all the time basically, and skip the extra-busted ones.

I'll report in some days with how it goes. I'm sick of the daily crash-on-google instances from the current 12.5x.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Did you know: Clicking on a image while holding Ctrl opens the "Save image as" dialog.

<-- Try it now.

Wheany posted:

I think you probably have to configure those in the OS. So if there is a way to make touch inputs as scrolling, I imagine those would work with Opera as well. Or ir you can configure the driver to handle touch inputs as "ctrl + alt + mouse" when using Opera, that could work as well.

Wheany posted:

If you ctrl-click on an image link, Opera now opens the link in a background tab instead of saving the image :(

Wheany posted:

Okay, so ctrl-alt-click is the old ctrl-click.

Ctrl-click is like an exiting adventure! You might get the save-as dialog or it might just open a tab on the background if the image is surreounded with an a tag :D

Wheany posted:

Well, it's probably just one of those things that annoy older users that new users don't even know is an issue.

Ctrl-click on any image used to mean "Save image."
Then ctrl-click became "open link in background tab". You can save images that are not links by ctrl-clicking on them, but if it's also a link, it will just open the link in a background tab.
Ctrl-alt click will save any image. Except ctrl-alt also means "drag to scroll", so sometimes if your cursor is not perfectly still, you'll just scroll the page by a couple of pixels :downs:
The saga continues:

It seems that now Ctrl-alt-click generates a click event to the web page. So now lovely web sites close image popups when I'm trying to save an image.

It's poo poo like this that makes me consider jumping ship.

Right-click -> Save image still works. Until Opera decides to remove the option "Allow scripts to detect context menu events"

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
That poo poo has been a problem for all of Opera 12 and is annoying enough that I'm sticking to 11.x. Even if it's just sending a resize when you're trying to save, that jumping image just makes Opera seem far less professional. Of course, 11.x sorts my bookmarks at the bottom of the address bar autocomplete, usually behind a "more results" style extender so Opera is perpetuating the "poo poo aint working right" theme left and right.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Did 12.x change the typed address bar history... again? I used to be able to just hit "f" and get "forums.somethingawful.com" but now it's digging up things I can't even remember visiting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is Settings -> Preferences -> Search -> Enable search suggestions in the address field checked?

Otherwise, what about these settings?
opera:config#UserPrefs|Addressfield:mixsearchenginesuggestionswithhistory
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowSearchSuggestionsInAddressfieldDropdown

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Am i missing something or is Enable plug-ins only on demand setting bugged? I have it enabled in the settings but i want it disabled for SA forums. I unchecked the setting in the site preferences for SA but it still won't load any Youtube videos, i have to click the big play button each time.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

LooKMaN posted:

Am i missing something or is Enable plug-ins only on demand setting bugged? I have it enabled in the settings but i want it disabled for SA forums. I unchecked the setting in the site preferences for SA but it still won't load any Youtube videos, i have to click the big play button each time.

Does SA's embedding happen with an iframe? Because then it could be caused because it is technically on a different site, inside that iframe.

e: Yep, SA uses an iframe. Try adding the same exception to http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/
e2: At least http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/t/howto_copyright is a real page where you can go and change site preferences.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 22, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Tesseraction posted:

Is Settings -> Preferences -> Search -> Enable search suggestions in the address field checked?

Otherwise, what about these settings?
opera:config#UserPrefs|Addressfield:mixsearchenginesuggestionswithhistory
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowSearchSuggestionsInAddressfieldDropdown

Turned all those off and restarted, still happening. gently caress.

edit: lots of whining about this and related things on the opera forums, no fixes. :argh:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 22, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New 12.01 build today
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/07/24/12-01-snapshot#comments

The previous 12.01 build worked quite well for me and didn't crash at all, versus the 12.5 build that preceded it and crashed frequently.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Random whine of the day: It would be nice if there were a way to disable tab stacking. I've never found it useful and once a week or so I accidentally stack two tabs together and have to take time and a dozen clicks figuring out how to undo it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

spoon0042 posted:

Random whine of the day: It would be nice if there were a way to disable tab stacking. I've never found it useful and once a week or so I accidentally stack two tabs together and have to take time and a dozen clicks figuring out how to undo it.

It's not random, it's real. I have just stopped having more than four or five tabs in a window to stop that annoying poopyness.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Seems that trying to drag tabs in the window panel is a pretty reliable way of crashing the browser.

Dragging tabs from one window to another one-by-one, without using the panel, seems to work better.

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds
i was going to post something about opera here but it's freezing and crashing too much so this is what i typed.

edit: trying 12.01 RC 64 bit...crossing my fingers or uninstalling for chrome. i'm done with the instability.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Yummers posted:

i was going to post something about opera here but it's freezing and crashing too much so this is what i typed.

edit: trying 12.01 RC 64 bit...crossing my fingers or uninstalling for chrome. i'm done with the instability.

The stability problems forced me over to chrome. I thought the extensions would be able to fill the gap for opera's features but in general the ones I've tried are a poor substitutes.

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

FSMC posted:

The stability problems forced me over to chrome. I thought the extensions would be able to fill the gap for opera's features but in general the ones I've tried are a poor substitutes.

Well, I'm happy to report Opera 12.01 (build 1520) is a more stable for me.

edit: and I was just auto-updated to build 1532 today so let's take her for a spin!

Yummers fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Yummers posted:

Well, I'm happy to report Opera 12.01 (build 1520) is a more stable for me.

edit: and I was just auto-updated to build 1532 today so let's take her for a spin!

That's apparently 12.01 final.

Not seeing anything interesting in the changelog really. Something about the address bar though, maybe they actually fixed something?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
12.01 is way way better than 12.00 build in my opinion. It is essentially a more polished version of 12.00 and has patched some crashes and bugs I had experienced with 12.00.

However, it still has unfixed (reported in previous builds sometimes repeatedly - e.g. the Disquss comments bug, artifacts on the main window when scrolling, NSL in youtube) bugs.

And unfortunately, while I want to like it a lot, within the first day of a clean install usage I have had one random crash, and one lock-up where windows shutdown Opera because it "stopped responding".

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I haven't had any problems at all with the last few 12.01 weeklies, nor now the final release.

In other news, the new 12.5 build has a ridiculously long changelog, so maybe it's approaching usability. http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/08/03/summer-core-update

But when there are still known issues like "Clicking the star icon in the address bar crashes Opera", I'm rather skeptical.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

In a fit of being pissed off at Opera for all the random crap and niggles that have been going on for years, mostly performance and UI related, I decided just to switch over to Chrome.

Chrome certainly does fix most things that I found annoying. Pages load fast and I don't have choppy youtubes or gifs and the UI is mostly an improvement.

However I do miss most of the tweaks Opera has to offer and I definitely miss scrolling through tabs with my mouse wheel.

So apparently there's no perfect browser, who'd a thought.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah 12.01 is much better than the original release. No crashes, no sluggishness so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
12.01 seems to have fixed some issues but not all. Most noticeably flash is still acting up when using two monitors. I get occasional crashes over stupid stuff but it definitely is much better.