Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is the difference between the two anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Evil_Ash posted:

edit* bah missed your last post. It should be plenty of fun to drive man and parts availability shoudl be good. Glad you went Axial over HPI.

Honestly I'd go Wraith. I love mine. The Ridgecrest is based on the same axles and tranny, but it's really just an attempt to compete in the crawler king market IMO. It just looks a little odd as well. Attempts to mod it have been mixed. The Wraith no matter what you do to it always looks awesome. It's a nice hybrid between crawling and bashing. spend the extra dough, you wont be sorry.

That's a sweet Wraith. The main reason I went AX10 was because it sounds like a better crawler than the Wraith for the most part, what with the lower CG and all that. The low price was the final kicker.

I'd agree that the Ridgecrest body looks loving terrible, but they look sweet with old pickup truck bodies on them.

As for the difference Powder, the Ridgecrest is a mix between the older AX10 comp crawlers and Wraith. I love those Dana 60 replica OCP axles! The Wraith has a higher CG because of the exocage & body on top. It definitely looks boss, though. Both are cool trucks.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That's a sweet Wraith. The main reason I went AX10 was because it sounds like a better crawler than the Wraith for the most part, what with the lower CG and all that. The low price was the final kicker.

I'd agree that the Ridgecrest body looks loving terrible, but they look sweet with old pickup truck bodies on them.

As for the difference Powder, the Ridgecrest is a mix between the older AX10 comp crawlers and Wraith. I love those Dana 60 replica OCP axles! The Wraith has a higher CG because of the exocage & body on top. It definitely looks boss, though. Both are cool trucks.

Agreed, there are guys running sportsman class with them in comps. Tires are the biggest hang up in stock form. Should be a great trail truck though. Stock electronics are *waterproof. so getting in the water is a must :)

The truck has some issues, but they are aiming for a lower cost option to get some of the guys on the sideline into the game. I'd say mission accomplished :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Considering converting my slash 4x4 to a pede 4x4. The parts to do it are like $150, but I miss wheelies, dont race the slash anymore, and $150 is cheaper than a new pede.

Someone with a 4x4 pede tell me I should do this.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Considering converting my slash 4x4 to a pede 4x4. The parts to do it are like $150, but I miss wheelies, dont race the slash anymore, and $150 is cheaper than a new pede.

Someone with a 4x4 pede tell me I should do this.

I don't know why you would need that much, just some 17mm hex adapters, big wheels and longer shocks should make a capable stampede out of the slash, I will probably do it myself to bash in the woods or at the beach

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bbbbbut wheelies

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Bbbbbut wheelies

Looks like the slash chassis is a bit longer and wider but there's no significant layout change for weight distribution to the rear, I think it should be able to wheelie with only big wheels and shocks and lipo's

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hey Mr. UPS man!

Aww yea. I can't wait to run this later tonight!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Hey Mr. UPS man!

Send me a bigfoot shirt please.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

Hey Mr. UPS man!

Hells to the yea...:)

Keep an eye on the c-hub and knuckle bolts up front. stockers come loose like no tomorrow.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I've been watching the chubs and knuckles like a hawk. Nothing has started backing out yet.

I took it out for some quick crawling at my usual spot. It's a fun truck, but I'll definitely need to do a few basic mods. The stock 20t motor doesn't have much torque. I'm used to my 55t that was in my Axial SCX10, which could pull a stump out of the ground. I'll probably go with a 35t so i can get some speed on the trails but still have some power. The 20t is pretty quick, but it's not a great climber.

The stock compound Ripsaw tires aren't bad, but they are nowhere near as sticky as my old Pitbulls. Those fuckers would stick to your fingers. I'm going to order some 2.2 Rockers tomorrow. I also need to add some weight to the wheels. I'm going to flip the battery to the front low cg mounting optional position tomorrow, too. That should also help quite a bit.

With these 3 mods, this truck should be a son of a bitch on the rocks and in the dirt. The platform is pretty kickass right out of the box. Heck, the 2.4 radio & Castle ESC w/ drag brake are pretty sweet. The mini Dana 60 axles are loving BOSS! I took the truck back to our axle fab guy at the shop today, and he was marveling at how scale they were.

TL;DR - The Ridgecrest is a pretty badass truck, and with a couple mods can be a total beast. The truck has a very high quality feel, and for 270 dollars to my door it was a hell of a deal! Even that ugly body looks pretty cool in person.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I had my ridgeline out a little more over the weekend, and I can't wait to put new Pitbull Rock Beasts on it. Those stock tires are GARBAGE. They feel soft to the touch but act like they are made of plastic when on the rocks. No grip at all.

I took the weird "exocage" stuff off of the body, and it lowered the CG by a decent amount. Man, if losing a couple roll cage pieces made it that much lighter, a Wraith has to be a top heavy beast!

I tried my hand at acetone soaking the wheels/tires last night to break the glue down. I filled up a coffee can with acetone and put all the wheels in. It was a success! I only soaked them about 12 hours, and they came off like no glue was there. The tires and wheels came out completely undamaged. The foams are a bit hosed, though.

I'm going to add 4-5 ozs of weight to the front wheels and then post impressions with the new Pitbulls.

EDIT -

Holy poo poo, this truck is a BEAST with the new tires and wheel weights. I also changed the 4 link mounting to further lower the CG. It easily takes rocks/terrain that my SCX10 couldn't get over.

Time to get a new body!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 17, 2012

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
The Wraith is def more top heavy, thats why most guys lower them right off the bat. It being more of a scaler/basher though you trade off some performance for looks. With flipped lower shock mounts it is really a different animal.

I switched over to the R35 ripsaws and they are WAY more sticky. Almost too sticky. I like a little bit of spinning on the rocks (for cooler video shots) and they just don't. They just bite and go..lol

Glad you are enjoying it :)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Stampede XL-5 for $120 used. Good deal, or no (assuming it's in great working order)?

Edit: Hmm, I'm seeing that they're going for around $100 on eBay. Guess I could get the Craigslist guy to come down on the price.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Put a new lid on the Ridgecrest. Crawling with this thing is a blast. I'm going to add even more weight tomorrow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

illcendiary posted:

Stampede XL-5 for $120 used. Good deal, or no (assuming it's in great working order)?

Edit: Hmm, I'm seeing that they're going for around $100 on eBay. Guess I could get the Craigslist guy to come down on the price.

Depends, does it come with any batteries or anything?

Is there a reason you arent springing for the VXL right off the bat?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Depends, does it come with any batteries or anything?

Is there a reason you arent springing for the VXL right off the bat?

I already have a VXL, this would just be to have another car for a friend to mess around with.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If its just the truck with no accessories, I would say 120 is a bit high

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sold all my racecars/trucks (rctech forum) and the AX10 to a co-worker. I've run the gamut over the last couple months with R/C to come to the following realization....

the SCX10 is still the best. Welcome back home little guy -

This new one is kickass compared to that first generation one I used to have. Love the wild boar drive shafts, ultra soft ripsaws, AE-2 ESC, and various other kit updates since the first gen.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long are you planning to resist new bodies?

I keep thinking about getting another kit since I enjoyed putting the SXC10 together so much, but I've come to a similar realization. A scale crawler is the ideal RC for me. Fast stuff can be really fun, but I don't have a lot of space and racing is an extra commitment I can't take on right now. Crawling over stuff with the SCX10 can happen in my backyard whenever I feel like it. And somehow the crawling feels like exactly what I always wanted my crappy toy R/C stuff to do when I was a kid. It's great because it can be challenging and relaxing at once.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I painted up a blue cherokee body already. My old dingo had one that I loved before I streched the wheelbase and it no long fit. I'm keeping the wheelbase as is because I love XJ's.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My friend found a Jeep JK 4 door body from some toy, and it fits his honcho chassis perfectly after a minor mod or two. Looks exactly like a jeep jk on 38's

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
So you ditched the Ridgecrest already?

I don't blame you one bit, the SCX10 is a cool truck for sure. I have one too. It's def more low key fun. More relaxing to drive. I love trailing with it.

Mine is pretty well stock, has a 3racing winch, 3racing led kit, Holmes 27 turn and mamba max ESC. Proline Powerstroke shocks and VPs new OMF 1.9 wheels which are sick as hell! I'm pretty proud of her so I have to show her off :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Kickass Honcho man! How much were those wheels? Beautiful truck you got there. I wish we could go trailing. My honcho is stock minus the radio but I plan on putting a set of RC4WD Baja Claw TTC tires on it...but no clue on what wheels. Here is a shot of it after I just painted & detailed the new cab.

Yeah, I sold the AX10 to a co-worker. He paid me almost full price for it, so it was an easy decision. The Ridgecrest was cool, but nowhere near as cool as the SCX10.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I love my Stampede but this thread is making me want to get a crawler. They look like so much fun, and I've got a ton of great places I could take one too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's the most fun I've ever had in rc, and it's a different kind of fun than something like a stampede. Very relaxing, and the challenge is much more thoughtful.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

Kickass Honcho man! How much were those wheels? Beautiful truck you got there. I wish we could go trailing. My honcho is stock minus the radio but I plan on putting a set of RC4WD Baja Claw TTC tires on it...but no clue on what wheels. Here is a shot of it after I just painted & detailed the new cab.

Yeah, I sold the AX10 to a co-worker. He paid me almost full price for it, so it was an easy decision. The Ridgecrest was cool, but nowhere near as cool as the SCX10.

Yours looks pretty sweet too, our rigs are almost yin and yang... I like the Tacoma accents you've done.

My wheels are around 150ish depending on how you build them.

Whats your screen name on RCC? I'll hit you up there. Whereabouts in the midwest are you? I'm in the Kansas City area. Mabey we can go trailing depending where you are...lol.

@Nathan Explosion - I've been RCing for over 25 years, but nothing has grabbed me like the first time I picked up a scale trail rig. I do encourage you to give it a try if you think you might like it because you might love it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nathan Explosion posted:

I love my Stampede but this thread is making me want to get a crawler. They look like so much fun, and I've got a ton of great places I could take one too.

I'll echo what the other guys say...trail riding is a blast, and it's different than standard "bashing". Scale rigs are just fun to build and watch do their thing.

@Evil_Ash - I live about 50 miles west of downtown St. Louis, so we actually aren't THAT far. I know sometimes the crawling groups around here have meets in Columbia, so maybe we should see if it lines up sometime and both down there for some running.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Stampede bashing is good for letting off some steam. There's nothing like making a toy truck sail off of a small cliff, hurtle through the air at ludicrous speed and land wheels down. It helps me melt some of the stress of work away.

The crawlers definitely seem more therapeutic. I imagine it being like grooming one of those rock gardens, only instead of a tiny rake you have a tiny truck.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

powderific posted:

A scale crawler is the ideal RC for me. Fast stuff can be really fun, but I don't have a lot of space and racing is an extra commitment I can't take on right now. Crawling over stuff with the SCX10 can happen in my backyard whenever I feel like it. And somehow the crawling feels like exactly what I always wanted my crappy toy R/C stuff to do when I was a kid. It's great because it can be challenging and relaxing at once.

I've really been enjoying your Slash, but I'm starting to realize the same thing...I like just screwing around in my back yard or in the woods, and the Slash doesn't really fit that. It doesn't do well at low speed in grass or on asphalt and really needs firm, smooth dirt to stretch its legs. The only really amazing place I found locally was the public BMX track, but R/Cs can't run there unless I go early in the morning when nobody is around.

And I totally agree with wanting something that fulfills my childhood R/C dreams. I started out with those lovely turn-in-reverse, wired controller cars and made it all the way to the Radio Shack R/C monster trucks that could kill a set of D batteries in 30 minutes. We caulked ours up so we could run it in the stream, it was awesome, but it was never as fast or powerful as my imagination wanted.

We'd also build motorized Lego vehicles with ultra-low gearing, dig a deep mud hole in the flower bed, and then see whose vehicle could crawl to the top without flipping over backward. Regular wheels would get filled with mud and just slide down, so we'd build swastika-shaped 'wheels' out of bricks that could really hook into the dirt.

Hmm, anyone want to buy a 1/16 Slash? :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, crawlers are like the Japanese rock garden side of RC. I don't know what that makes my Yokomo NanoQLO. Bonsai, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVQ9W7AA98

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sloppy posted:

I've really been enjoying your Slash, but I'm starting to realize the same thing...I like just screwing around in my back yard or in the woods, and the Slash doesn't really fit that. It doesn't do well at low speed in grass or on asphalt and really needs firm, smooth dirt to stretch its legs. The only really amazing place I found locally was the public BMX track, but R/Cs can't run there unless I go early in the morning when nobody is around.

And I totally agree with wanting something that fulfills my childhood R/C dreams. I started out with those lovely turn-in-reverse, wired controller cars and made it all the way to the Radio Shack R/C monster trucks that could kill a set of D batteries in 30 minutes. We caulked ours up so we could run it in the stream, it was awesome, but it was never as fast or powerful as my imagination wanted.

We'd also build motorized Lego vehicles with ultra-low gearing, dig a deep mud hole in the flower bed, and then see whose vehicle could crawl to the top without flipping over backward. Regular wheels would get filled with mud and just slide down, so we'd build swastika-shaped 'wheels' out of bricks that could really hook into the dirt.

Hmm, anyone want to buy a 1/16 Slash? :v:

The first time you take an scx10 mudding or into a creek bed youll be as happy as a pig in poo poo.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
I've been known to shoot a little video. Check this out. Sub if you don't mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAVcH2Ody8

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Evil_Ash posted:

I've been known to shoot a little video. Check this out. Sub if you don't mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAVcH2Ody8
it's pretty long, but what I watched, I like! Living in Utah lends itself to pretty excellent scale running. I've had my honcho for 3 years or so. It gets driven the most out of my fleet next to my Baja 5T. When my wife and I go hiking I'll sometimes bring it along and cruise it around. Mine was a kit, it has a titanium geared steering servo and the Novak goat brushless system, some black RC4WD OEM steelies. I'm pretty sure I've posted photos before. I use 1/18 2S lipo batteries for weight savings and keeping the CG down. Now that I've finished my cup racer I'm ready to get my honcho decked out with the scale gear. HPI posted a photo of the new ken block fiesta with a freaking tiny molded gopro on the body. It's awesome.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Cool video, I've actually seen that one before! Here's one I shot with my old Comanche scx10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0bBSJD44E (it's short).

I bought a small tripod for my camera, so I intend on doing some more video shorts like that on various types of terrain.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Put just a bit of front weight on it with wheel weights on the inside of the front rims and on top of the servo and it's a beast. I couldn't believe the inclines it was taking! Still making a decision on tires and wheels. I'm lucky to have this crawler's dream spot about 2 miles from my house.

I had the Ridgecrest here a couple weeks ago but it couldn't handle these crazy inclines like the scx10....and I had 4 oz of weight in each wheel on the AX10. The scx10 didn't even break a sweat. There was no tire slip. I can't wait to get new wheels and put 3 oz of weight in each wheel.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised the scx could handle more than the ax10. Is it something with the CG being lower on the honcho?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those crawlers are kick-rear end!

Question: Someone offered me a brushless Emaxx and a 1/16 Exceed Maxstone crawler (brushless conversion) for an item I have on Craigslist for $900.
Is either truck any good? I'm used to my Stampede. I wouldn't mind a crawler, but I wanted something bigger. And I am not sure I need another monster truck.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Those crawlers are kick-rear end!

Question: Someone offered me a brushless Emaxx and a 1/16 Exceed Maxstone crawler (brushless conversion) for an item I have on Craigslist for $900.
Is either truck any good? I'm used to my Stampede. I wouldn't mind a crawler, but I wanted something bigger. And I am not sure I need another monster truck.

I wouldnt do it, personally. the e-maxx is pretty old and 1/16 is fairly small for a crawler (unless you want small)

either way its definitely not $900 worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks, I had a hunch that was the case.
What would be a good crawler that I won't have to put too much aftermarket stuff on to make it work?