Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Farbtoner posted:

If Google has their way we may be laughing even sooner than that.

If you haven't read Steve Jobs' biography, the sheer number of ego-driven decisions he made developing it was unbelievable. Granted, his insistence on making it into a cube does look pretty cool (it's in the Museum of Modern Art, I believe) but it was ridiculously difficult and expensive to manufacture and I think about $200 of the cost of each computer was the cost of licensing the literature that came bundled in the computer.

I play with one of these at least once a month in the museum I volunteer at. It is so loving huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
When I was a kid if you wanted to play games it was all about vacuum fluorescent table top arcade games. I guess the most popular were these bad boys:

VFD tech was very power hungry for a battery powered game so most of the time games would be plugged into the wall with a Grandstand transformer. They were rendered obsolete once LCD started to take over with it's huge battery life and compact designs and once the Gameboy made an appearence they were forgot for good. Still many happy memories remain about all the arcade conversions that were made.

Of course VFD is still used in all sorts of home entertainment equipment due to it's bright display but as far as games go it's dead.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

The best thing about these was that they were basically turn-based. That's right; turn based shooters. I had Firefox F7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbEAyFlIVvo and Munchman (turn based pacman): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i26UfJY36E

Actually some serious nostalgia from those videos :)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Back to TI graphing calculator talk! I love my TI-86 with a burning passion. Our high school math class required everyone to have a graphing calculator, and the school's calculator of choice was a spindly, toy-like Casio, which they sold out to students for 100€ each. I got my dad's old TI-86, laughing at the others' screens full of dead pixels and stupid interactive vinculums while I wrote all my divisions out in pages-long lines like a professional. I will champion this old war horse to the bitter end.

Look at this bad boy. You want graphs? I can give you graphs. Vectors? Matrixes? No problem, dude. You want to program this bitch? gently caress you, the TI-86 doesn't play by your rules. I never got my programs to work properly. The teacher only taught the stupid Casios' stupid regular BASIC and TI-BASIC was slightly different. :argh:

BillNyeTheNaziSpy
May 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's not a piece of hardware itself, but if you're into old computers and technology check out Computer Chronicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u497lO2DX9w

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Internet Archive has at least a good portion of the episodes here: http://archive.org/details/computerchronicles The show really is a goldmine of obsolete and failed technology, from the demonstration of software no one uses anymore to sales charts showing names no one knows today outselling Apple, Microsoft, and IBM.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

kith_groupie posted:

Pretty much now that there is the guide you get just by pressing the remote. There is still a TV Guide channel (I think so, at least) but i have no idea what's on it. Commericals for TV shows I guess.

Do they even make TV Guides magazine anymore? I found one from 1998 the other day and it was quite the fun trip down memory lane. With the proliferation of cable and sattelite onscreen guides, I doubt anyone feels the need to buy a special little magazine about what's coming on.

Something else I also don't miss-trying to set the VCR to record, and then trying to snake my little hands behind the huge rear end television that weighed more than I did to make sure it was even connected. "Having the TV fall" used to kill toddlers.

There's still a TV Guide channel, they have the scrolling guide on the bottom and play movies/their own shows(like talk shows and poo poo I think) on the top. My dad watches it all the time, since the cable provider for our town doesn't have a guide that pops up on the screen.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Forktoss posted:

Back to TI graphing calculator talk! I love my TI-86 with a burning passion. Our high school math class required everyone to have a graphing calculator, and the school's calculator of choice was a spindly, toy-like Casio, which they sold out to students for 100€ each. I got my dad's old TI-86, laughing at the others' screens full of dead pixels and stupid interactive vinculums while I wrote all my divisions out in pages-long lines like a professional. I will champion this old war horse to the bitter end.

Your Dad's? Okay, now I feel old.

You don't know how good you've got it. Look how streamlined it is compared to the one I have! You've got curved buttons, the entire thing is ergonomic!

The funny thing? I think both of these have greater or at least equivalent functionality than the TI-XX of today. Because anything more would be 'cheating'. Can't let those kids automatically solve for X!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DirtyWorker posted:

What about this baby?

I have one sitting on my desk, right next to an Indy :smug:

The monitor cable is in shambles though, I need to re-solder the connector back on. And my awesomely huge 9GB SCSI drive died, so I need to buy a new one at some point.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
80's Robots, I thought they would take over the world dammit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MOAR posted:

Tab and New Coke are obsolete technology in their own right.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

MOAR posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's from the new Muppets movie- which was loving fantastic, by the way.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kheldarn posted:

TELIX for DOS

This was THE software for connecting to BBSs back in the day. And any BBS that used ANSI was just sooo pretty!

I kinda miss the days of dialing up a BBS, and spending hours reading posts, playing games, and downloading files (lots and lots of hours for that...).

Wait, I remember BBSes only allowing 20-60 mins/day per user, was this not typically the case?

MagnumLode
Apr 10, 2004

Have some Kool-Aid, dipshit.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, I remember BBSes only allowing 20-60 mins/day per user, was this not typically the case?

If I remember correctly, you had to maintain a certain ratio of what you uploaded to what you downloaded.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Naw, it's okay, they're using Z-modem, they can resume their download(Rise of the Triad?) if their time allowance interrupts it!

Man that picture is inducing some serious nostalgia. I used Telix to waste so much time on BBS's. I can't believe that website is still functional, and that they're still selling it. For $79. $69 if you're willing to settle for the DOS version.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

TShields posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's from the new Muppets movie- which was loving fantastic, by the way.

That's definitely '80s Robot from The Muppets, but he's really just a knockoff of Tomy's Omnibot 2000.

Of course, the true king of 80s toy tech will always be Milton Bradley's Big Track.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Whoah. Tell me that is where BioWare got the idea for the Mako in the original Mass Effect.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Forktoss posted:

Look at this bad boy. You want graphs? I can give you graphs. Vectors? Matrixes? No problem, dude. You want to program this bitch? gently caress you, the TI-86 doesn't play by your rules. I never got my programs to work properly. The teacher only taught the stupid Casios' stupid regular BASIC and TI-BASIC was slightly different. :argh:

I remember playing Dope Wars on that bad boy!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Turnquiet posted:

Whoah. Tell me that is where BioWare got the idea for the Mako in the original Mass Effect.

The mako was actually based on a real vehicle called the LAV-25.

Anyway, though my only knowledge of it comes from the internet, I think that the GameLine for the Atari 2600 deserves a mention.

Essentially, it was an oversized game cartridge with a phone jack in the side of it. The way it worked is you would plug it into your wall, and then call up the company. You'd then order the game over the phone, and it would actually download into the game cartridge. The GameLine itself cost $60 to buy, plus $1 for each game you downloaded. The downloads would expire after a limited number of plays, so it was more analogous to playing on an arcade than anything else. However, the GameLine was released in 1982, which was right before the videogame crash -- by 1983 a single dollar was actually pretty expensive for just a few plays, considering you could just buy the game for not much more. It had a total of 75 games available throughout its life, and almost none of them were any good. There was only a single exclusive game made for it, but the service was discontinued in 1984 before it could be released.

It seems so primitive now, but the technology was just crazy ahead of its time. The guy who invented it had actually planned using the technology as a way of letting people download and listen to music through their TV, but after that fell through he repurposed the idea. It never panned out, but he planned to expand the GameLine so that it could do things like email, check the stock market, and home banking. The company that made it, CVC, would eventually go on to become America Online.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bhodi posted:

You don't know how good you've got it. Look how streamlined it is compared to the one I have! You've got curved buttons, the entire thing is ergonomic!

The funny thing? I think both of these have greater or at least equivalent functionality than the TI-XX of today. Because anything more would be 'cheating'. Can't let those kids automatically solve for X!

Seeing these two posts made me realize I don't even know what a modern calculator looks like. Found this in my desk drawer:

The weird thing is it's apparently an original 1976 model BA II Plus, and I'm not that old. :/ I think it's one that I "borrowed" from high school when I lost mine in the early 90s and never returned.

Of course, now you can just download a BA II Plus iphone app.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

leidend posted:

Seeing these two posts made me realize I don't even know what a modern calculator looks like. Found this in my desk drawer:

The weird thing is it's apparently an original 1976 model BA II Plus, and I'm not that old. :/ I think it's one that I "borrowed" from high school when I lost mine in the early 90s and never returned.

Of course, now you can just download a BA II Plus iphone app.

You mean 1986 ? There were no lcd calcs in 76

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

SimplyCosmic posted:

Of course, the true king of 80s toy tech will always be Milton Bradley's Big Track.

Great news everyone! http://www.bigtrakisback.com/xtr-coming-soon/

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

TShields posted:

Indeed, it's Kermits butler but how did kermit get a mansion anyway?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULIE"

I can't get it out of my head

:suicide:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fozaldo posted:

You mean 1986 ? There were no lcd calcs in 76

I got that year from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_Business_Analyst

The photo caption of the same calculator says 1976, but the article says the first LCD was 1978. So... I have no idea.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

What did handheld calculators use as displays before LCD's? Like the kind of display Speak and Spells had?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Elim Garak posted:

What did handheld calculators use as displays before LCD's? Like the kind of display Speak and Spells had?
Yes, LED display.

And before that VFT (vacuum fluorescent tube display). Which was expensive or difficult to make or something. My dad has an old one that has a display of four digits and you have to press a button to switch between showing the first four and the last four digits of a big number.

It isn't this one, but it looks a bit like it and is built on the same principles:

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Wanamingo posted:

The mako was actually based on a real vehicle called the LAV-25.

Anyway, though my only knowledge of it comes from the internet, I think that the GameLine for the Atari 2600 deserves a mention.

Essentially, it was an oversized game cartridge with a phone jack in the side of it. The way it worked is you would plug it into your wall, and then call up the company. You'd then order the game over the phone, and it would actually download into the game cartridge. The GameLine itself cost $60 to buy, plus $1 for each game you downloaded. The downloads would expire after a limited number of plays, so it was more analogous to playing on an arcade than anything else. However, the GameLine was released in 1982, which was right before the videogame crash -- by 1983 a single dollar was actually pretty expensive for just a few plays, considering you could just buy the game for not much more. It had a total of 75 games available throughout its life, and almost none of them were any good. There was only a single exclusive game made for it, but the service was discontinued in 1984 before it could be released.

It seems so primitive now, but the technology was just crazy ahead of its time. The guy who invented it had actually planned using the technology as a way of letting people download and listen to music through their TV, but after that fell through he repurposed the idea. It never panned out, but he planned to expand the GameLine so that it could do things like email, check the stock market, and home banking. The company that made it, CVC, would eventually go on to become America Online.

Talk about being ahead of its time. I guess that would be Steam's great great grandfather.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I've got one of those things(handed down) and drat if it isn't reliable.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Landerig posted:

Talk about being ahead of its time. I guess that would be Steam's great great grandfather.

I got more of a Phantom vibe from it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Terrible Robot posted:

I got more of a Phantom vibe from it.

A more direct descendant would be The Sega Channel

It was a similar concept for the Sega Genesis, but it was a device that you rented from your cable provider for a monthly fee. It plugged in to your Genesis's cartage slot and your cable, can every thirty days the selection of games changed. 50 different games every month, with unlimited play time for $15-25. It truly was incredible...

http://www.okaygeek.com/blog/remembering-the-sega-channel.html

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Speaking of videogame technology, Expansion Module #1 for the Colecovision.

It was essentially an Atari 2600 without controllers that connected to your Colecovision. They quickly stopped selling them for legal reasons, but if you were lucky enough to get one before that (we were), then it was great. It's something that'd be completely unheard of today; imagine something you connect to your Xbox to play PS2 games or something.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

buttopticor posted:

imagine something you connect to your Xbox to play PS2 games or something.

How about playstation games on your dreamcast?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

buttopticor posted:

Speaking of videogame technology, Expansion Module #1 for the Colecovision.

It was essentially an Atari 2600 without controllers that connected to your Colecovision. They quickly stopped selling them for legal reasons, but if you were lucky enough to get one before that (we were), then it was great. It's something that'd be completely unheard of today; imagine something you connect to your Xbox to play PS2 games or something.
Wasn't this possible because the 2600 didn't have any proprietary hardware components or something? I seem to remember seeing a few off-brand 2600's.
I still have one, it still works too. Unfortunately its all my Coleco is good for now, since the chip for controller input on the ColecoVision is unshielded and mine has succumbed to static :(.

Speaking of ColecoVision and controllers let me inroduce you to the best game controller ever made:
The Super Action Controller

It was designed for use with sports games, but really it's the only way to play coleco games. And since it used a generic 9-pin connector it is also the only way to play atari, MasterSystem and Genesis/Megadrive games. Well only one of the trigger buttons maps to A on the Genesis, and the spin wheel alternates between start and B so you can play Sonic at least.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Another favorite of mine is Nixie Tubes

These were used to display limited info like on scales and numerical readouts of scientific equipment. They could display whatever they were made to but mostly numbers. I think they are beautiful to look at and take me right back to my childhood watching science programs in the 70s.

You can now buy fantastic clocks like this in kit form or made up.

If you happen to come across any of these tubes be sure to look them up as some of them are worth a fortune.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Zombie Rasputin posted:

How about playstation games on your dreamcast?

Holy crap, there is a logo I haven't seen in years. Remember the whole debacle between the Bleem Team and Sony. Bleem won on all counts, but had to close up shop due to the legal fees. :/

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Fozaldo posted:

When I was a kid if you wanted to play games it was all about vacuum fluorescent table top arcade games.

You've reminded me of the bad boy of childhood portable video games : the TomyTronic 3D, a crap Game & Watch game displayed on a terrible lovely set of goggles

I had the enthusiastically named THUNDERING TURBO, a car racing thing based around pressing left or right to dodge other cars on a racetrack until you got bored or your 3 AA batteries ran out (10 minutes tops, given that if you were playing with this piece of poo poo you could only afford knock-off batteries from the market)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8luKgrevk

wow, what fun. Thanks, childhood friend who stole all my micro machines and then gave me this as an apology.

Mousepractice has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Aug 4, 2012

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Mousepractice posted:

You've reminded me of the bad boy of childhood portable video games : the TomyTronic 3D, a crap Game & Watch game displayed on a terrible lovely set of goggles

I had the enthusiastically named THUNDERING TURBO, a car racing thing based around pressing left or right to dodge other cars on a racetrack until you got bored or your 3 AA batteries ran out (10 minutes tops, given that if you were playing with this piece of poo poo you could only afford knock-off batteries from the market)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8luKgrevk

wow, what fun. Thanks, childhood friend who stole all my micro machines and then gave me this as an apology.

Don't forget to mention that you had to have a tonne of light shining through that white window on the top of the unit or it was pretty much unplayable too. No clandestine, midnight under the sheets gameplay.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Elim Garak posted:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, LED display.

And before that VFT (vacuum fluorescent tube display).

And even earlier:

The Curta handheld calculator from 1948, designed by Curt Herzstark while a prisoner in the Buchenwald concentration camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
IIRC the Curta is what gave us the term "crunching numbers" because of the sound it made while working. Things are seriously cool as hell, I wish they weren't so expensive.