Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bobula posted:

By the time my upgrade comes (October or November) the Arrive is going to be pretty low on the totem pole. Not to mention, Windows Mobile. The size of that phone is pretty nice, though.

Windows Phone, and it already is pretty low on the totem pole, honestly. It's a great phone but doesn't seem popular, although there are a bunch of positive reviews on Sprint.com. Maybe Windows Phone 8 will be out by then? As mentioned they are pretty cheap second-hand though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

bobula posted:

My boyfriend put CM9 on his SGS2 and for some weird reason it did just this. I could barely understand a thing he said, and he thought it was something wrong with the phone. Then he put a stock rom back on and it fixed it.

It's an Evo3D running MeanROM 2.4, and I think Anthrax 2.9. I'll give the complete stock thing a try. I'm still clueless why it would be the staticy/distortion problem when the voice mail picked up though since that had nothing to do with my phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

brc64 posted:

Okay, I'm loving lost. Everything I can find on XDA looks like it's some full ROM that you need to wipe before installing. I just want the drat OTA without having to worry about losing root (not sure what they do to make this happen...). In this past, this has usually been available within 24 hours, but if that's the case here, I can't find it... any suggestions?

I just looked through your recent post history of this thread trying to figure out what phone you have and the best answer I can come up with is that you hold a Galaxy Nexus in one hand and an EVO 3D in the other and just flip a coin on which one to use. Which phone are you trying to get an OTA for?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just looked through your recent post history of this thread trying to figure out what phone you have and the best answer I can come up with is that you hold a Galaxy Nexus in one hand and an EVO 3D in the other and just flip a coin on which one to use. Which phone are you trying to get an OTA for?

Wife has a Galaxy Nexus. I have an Evo 3D. I'm looking for the Evo 3D ICS update that just came out, but I don't want to lose root and I don't want to wipe my phone.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Houston, we have a problem... The Airrave ate a voicemail notification today, while I was waiting for the doctor's office to call me back so I can get this stupid infection under control.

No missed call, no voicemail alert, just emptiness like a great void had swallowed it up.

Airplane mode for 10 seconds then back and "ding" I had a voicemail. Funny you should mention that Airrave. I was expecting a call!

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Hey. So I figured out that my phone (epic 4g touch) didn't have a broken microphone. I Skyped a person and everything was fine with that. Turns put the ICS update for this phone is such a buggy mess that it was making me sound static and robotic in all my calls. I reverted to GB again and everything works perfectly. So if anybody else runs into the same issue, blame Samsung and Sprint for putting out such an awful phone update.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey. So I figured out that my phone (epic 4g touch) didn't have a broken microphone. I Skyped a person and everything was fine with that. Turns put the ICS update for this phone is such a buggy mess that it was making me sound static and robotic in all my calls. I reverted to GB again and everything works perfectly. So if anybody else runs into the same issue, blame Samsung and Sprint for putting out such an awful phone update.

There just needs to be a cartoon Samsung logo holding a football for a placekick.

Or, a speech bubble just saying "SAMSUNG'D!" in Peanuts style.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ender.uNF posted:

Houston, we have a problem... The Airrave ate a voicemail notification today, while I was waiting for the doctor's office to call me back so I can get this stupid infection under control.

No missed call, no voicemail alert, just emptiness like a great void had swallowed it up.

Airplane mode for 10 seconds then back and "ding" I had a voicemail. Funny you should mention that Airrave. I was expecting a call!

Here is hoping you get better :/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi the Galaxy Nexus is definitely free with waived activation fees this weekend only, new customers only.

If anyone is interested email me at Jimplaysdrums @ Gmail.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
I'm curious as why we would need to email you. I checked out the site and got the lowdown, I add the Nexus and plan to my account then cancel my old device and plan once it's properly activated. I'm probably being an rear end somehow in asking that though.

If I was on contract I could see it being an issue cancelling my old phone/plan, I've been month to month with Sprint for years on an old dumbphone.

Granted I have been reviewing changing plans/carriers/phones for over 6 months now so this is not a spur of the moment thing.

Looking forward to future shock!

Smuggins fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 3, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Smuggins posted:

I'm curious as why we would need to email you. I checked out the site and got the lowdown, I add the Nexus and plan to my account then cancel my old device and plan once it's properly activated. I'm probably being an rear end somehow in asking that though.

If I was on contract I could see it being an issue cancelling my old phone/plan, I've been month to month with Sprint for years on an old dumbphone.

Granted I have been reviewing changing plans/carriers/phones for over 6 months now so this is not a spur of the moment thing.

Looking forward to future shock!

I think it has something to do with work, if we go through him it's good for him and us too.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Smuggins posted:

You get the same deal but he gets to stay employed and thus keep hooking us up with Sprint info? You have to work for Sprint or a Sprint reseller to get access to certain training/marketing materials and most importantly the computer systems to look up account info. If that means nothing then by all means, save no dollars by not supporting the community I guess? :confused:

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
If I have a SERO account, can I still get the credit union activation fee waiver thing? I know I won't be able to get percent off my bill, but anyone have a clue about the activation fee?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Allaniis posted:

I know I won't be able to get percent off my bill, but anyone have a clue about the activation fee?
Activation fee? Or do you mean upgrade fee?

As far as I know, upgrade fees are waived on SERO lines to begin with. Or at least, I've been neither charged nor paid them on my last two upgrades.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

I think it has something to do with work, if we go through him it's good for him and us too.

This, I make commission, and since it's the same price its win win. Beyond that sometimes people like having a specific person beyond the Web to go through.

Although I emphasize that I never said one must go through me.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Activation fee? Or do you mean upgrade fee?

As far as I know, upgrade fees are waived on SERO lines to begin with. Or at least, I've been neither charged nor paid them on my last two upgrades.

I am not sure of SERO waives upgrade fees, but I would bet you happened to upgrade at times when online waived them and that's what did it.

As to answering the credit union question unfortunately I am pretty sure you cannot tag a discount on to the account, although you can go to sprint.com/verify and try. If one gets lucky the code gets attached, and while it wouldn't discount the plan it would then waive fees.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 3, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I am not sure of SERO waives upgrade fees, but I would bet you happened to upgrade at times when online waived them and that's what did it.
These were actually in store upgrades, despite my previous warnings to never do that. Which I still don't recommend, near disasters I tell you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

This, I make commission, and since it's the same price its win win. Beyond that sometimes people like having a specific person beyond the Web to go through.

Although I emphasize that I never said one must go through me.

As to answering the credit union question unfortunately I am pretty sure you cannot tag a discount on to the account, although you can go to sprint.com/verify and try. If one gets lucky the code gets attached, and while it wouldn't discount the plan it would then waive fees.

I sent you back a PM about that Nexus dealio. That sounds good and I might do that over getting an S3.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi the Galaxy Nexus is definitely free with waived activation fees this weekend only, new customers only.

If anyone is interested email me at Jimplaysdrums @ Gmail.

There's that sixty day limit on this, right? Otherwise paying my etf, Google voice porting and selling my evo3d might work out great.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just a reminder that Duckman owns bones and you should all do your Sprint stuff with him. :allears:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

Just a reminder that Duckman owns bones and you should all do your Sprint stuff with him. :allears:

Agree with this. He took care of my dad and sister when they were ready for upgrades, both during the sale and after when they had issues.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the free Nexus. I owe Sprint some money and being able to save on not getting the S3 while getting a phone that is better than the EVO 4G is fine with me.

Plus the money saved on the S3 can go to the bill, plus the 4G buyback on that as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

There's that sixty day limit on this, right? Otherwise paying my etf, Google voice porting and selling my evo3d might work out great.

Not sure what 60 day limit you are talking about? The promo is today, tomorrow and Sunday.

The only way to get the promo if you have sprint is to add a line and then port your number to Google Voice (Google charges a one time $20). If you are under contract the ETF gets auto billed to your account when you port out. You don't need to port until you get said new phone and line in the mail.

Any questions or if you want me to help you with it feel free to email away.

Fyi the buyback for the 3D is $75 right now. Not that great, but it may cover the ETF. You could sell it for $100-150 on ebay depending on the condition.

Edit: and of course, any discounted phone is a two year contract, next upgrade is I have 20 months.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 3, 2012

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

atomicvocabulary posted:

I am getting some glitches with Chrome and the keyboard disappearing, especially in chrome. Can't find anything else yet.

First 24 hour opinion: Really enjoy it

Unfortunately, any Evo 3D rom based on the official or leaked Sense 3.6 build is going to have major graphical issues in Chrome. Something to do with HTC's implementation of the Adreno graphics drivers. Using the stock Android keyboard helps a bit (Swype in particular freaks the gently caress out).

I was hoping HTC would fix this particular bug after it popped up in the VM leak, especially since Chrome is Android's default browser going forward. No such luck, and obviously at this point it's going to stay broken. This phone ain't getting another OTA.

I guess they expect people to use their ugly rear end reskinned browser.

For what it's worth, Chrome works fine in AOSP.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure what 60 day limit you are talking about? The promo is today, tomorrow and Sunday.

The only way to get the promo if you have sprint is to add a line and then port your number to Google Voice (Google charges a one time $20). If you are under contract the ETF gets auto billed to your account when you port out. You don't need to port until you get said new phone and line in the mail.

Any questions or if you want me to help you with it feel free to email away.

Fyi the buyback for the 3D is $75 right now. Not that great, but it may cover the ETF. You could sell it for $100-150 on ebay depending on the condition.

Edit: and of course, any discounted phone is a two year contract, next upgrade is I have 20 months.

Oh so just to be sure, I can stay with my EVO until you send me the Nexus and then that day I can pay the $20 to port the number and I'll be alright? Very cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Oh so just to be sure, I can stay with my EVO until you send me the Nexus and then that day I can pay the $20 to port the number and I'll be alright? Very cool.

Yes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Whew, alright then. Go ahead and do what you have to do and I'll do the rest of it when the Nexus comes in the mail.

Oh oh oh, do I have to pay an activation fee also when I port my number back from GV to Sprint or whatever?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 4, 2012

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Skeezy posted:

Whew, alright then. Go ahead and do what you have to do and I'll do the rest of it when the Nexus comes in the mail.

Oh oh oh, do I have to pay an activation fee also when I port my number back from GV to Sprint or whatever?

I believe you would leave your number on gv to make this the easiest.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just wish I hadn't used over a gig of roaming data last month, I just realized I haven't gotten a call from Sprint about it yet and I'm worried about getting a new Gnexus (trading in my E3D would result in the GN costing like $50 which is absurd) and then losing my account :I

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ExcessBLarg! posted:

These were actually in store upgrades, despite my previous warnings to never do that. Which I still don't recommend, near disasters I tell you.

Yeah, I wound up doing the in-store option despite my previous decision otherwise because I didn't want to risk having to play door tag with FedEx. It wound up taking two visits, three hours, and at least four phone calls to employee support before I was able to walk out the door with my new phone.

In retrospect I should have risked the door tag.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Technogeek posted:

It wound up taking two visits, three hours, and at least four phone calls to employee support before I was able to walk out the door with my new phone.
Ooh did they accuse you of committing fraud?

Sales support did when they refused to convert my second line back to SERO, and the sales rep pointed out to them that they had done just that when I upgraded my first line last month.

Actually, a few tips for any other idiots who decide to upgrade in store like us:

1. The basic issue is that the upgrade can't be applied directly to the SERO plan, they have to convert it to a different one first, then convert "back" to SERO (actually they have to move to a SERO LTE plan if you're picking up an LTE phone but whatever).

2. The usual way corp stores do plan changes won't allow them to switch a plan to SERO, this is the crux of the problem. It's at this point that they call "sales support" who are about as clueful as *2 reps, which is to say that 1/4th of the time it'll be alright and 3/4ths of the time crazy will happen.

3. It turns out corp stores can change a plan to back to SERO but it involves some backdoor mechanism that they're not familiar with, or don't think to try first, or something. I personally don't understand the voodoo, but I think in the end this turned out to be the case.

4. The SERO/EPRP number from the OP is incredibly helpful in every instance I've called them, seriously I have never had a better call center experience, these guys are top notch.

If you call the SERO/EPRP number while in store and ask them to facilitate the upgrade (they can do the switch-back part) it seems they're willing to do this and they definitely know how to.

I'm not sure what the best way to bring it up is. You might just want to mention to the sales rep "hey, I don't know if you can do the right magic yourself or if you have to call sales support. But they're not really familiar with these plans and I've had better luck calling employee services (or whomever they are), I don't mind putting them on the line for you."

But really, don't do SERO upgrades in store, unless you really have to. It's just a hassle for everyone.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 4, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I just wish I hadn't used over a gig of roaming data last month, I just realized I haven't gotten a call from Sprint about it yet and I'm worried about getting a new Gnexus (trading in my E3D would result in the GN costing like $50 which is absurd) and then losing my account :I

Anyone know what Sprint would do in this case? Just curious.

Say you've done 2 months of extreme roaming usage, and at the end of that 2nd month you upgrade to a new phone.

Then the third month they cancel you (or is it the beginning of the fourth?). Do you have to return the phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi the iPhone 4S on Sprint is dropping to by $50 for all models: 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. New and upgrades.

iPhone 4 stays at $99.

Surely has nothing to do with some supposed September Apple announcement....

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ooh did they accuse you of committing fraud?

One of the employees did threaten to kick me off SERO whether or not I actually bought the new phone that day, does that count? (Fortunately, the woman who actually rang up the purchase was a hell of a lot more helpful.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Technogeek posted:

One of the employees did threaten to kick me off SERO whether or not I actually bought the new phone that day, does that count?
Yes, yes it does.

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
I need some advice. Trying to keep this as short as possible. Basically I am considering swapping from Sprint to ATT.

The issues I have with sprint are that my family is not on it (so I am paying more than I should for a solo plan) and that the internet sucks. I do like the unlimited data.

BUT, I have a :tinfoil: feeling that sprint may drop the unlimited data like ATT and Verizon did. If that happens and I made the switch, I can't be grandfathered in. But I will be paying literally half the price if I go in under my family's plan on ATT, but I am capped at 3GB data (which I don't currently use, but could as smartphone apps get better and better).

I know a friend of mine is paying sprint prices for unlimited talk, text and data on verizon because when they found out that he had switched to sprint, they called him back and offered a price match. That said, do I have any leverage with Sprint when my contract is up?

TLDR: Looking for insight as to if Sprint cares about it's internet data sucking, if they plan on dropping unlimited data in the next two years (if anyone could even know that), if ATT is worth switching to and if I have any leverage when shopping for mobile plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CheerGrrl92 posted:

I need some advice. Trying to keep this as short as possible. Basically I am considering swapping from Sprint to ATT.

The issues I have with sprint are that my family is not on it (so I am paying more than I should for a solo plan) and that the internet sucks. I do like the unlimited data.

BUT, I have a :tinfoil: feeling that sprint may drop the unlimited data like ATT and Verizon did. If that happens and I made the switch, I can't be grandfathered in. But I will be paying literally half the price if I go in under my family's plan on ATT, but I am capped at 3GB data (which I don't currently use, but could as smartphone apps get better and better).

I know a friend of mine is paying sprint prices for unlimited talk, text and data on verizon because when they found out that he had switched to sprint, they called him back and offered a price match. That said, do I have any leverage with Sprint when my contract is up?

TLDR: Looking for insight as to if Sprint cares about it's internet data sucking, if they plan on dropping unlimited data in the next two years (if anyone could even know that), if ATT is worth switching to and if I have any leverage when shopping for mobile plans.

Sprint will say that you have unlimited Internet and they are currently improving coverage through network vision. They won't discount or match your plan if you threaten to leave unless you end up qualifying for a corporate discount or something. Sprint is basically take it or leave it right now plan wise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I got a question about my account:

I've already decided that when my contract is up, I'm switching to a pre-paid plan with an unlocked Nexus. I've never gone over half a gig of data the entire two years I've had an Android phone, so there's no point in paying an extra $30 a month for the "unlimited data" that I have no need for, and is in fact slower than what I would get on a StraightTalk plan.

When I check my account online, it says my contract end date 9/3/12. My bill is all paid up, so in theory, that means I'm paid up to that date already, so I could cancel now and not get hit with an ETF? Of course, I'd be "losing" a month's worth of service I've already paid Sprint for, but I was just curious if that's how it worked, or if I had to pay for one more month (ie, the bill I'd get in September) to not get an ETF...

For that matter, even if I had one more month, is the ETF less than what that bill would be (~$75 after my discount?)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CheerGrrl92 posted:

But I will be paying literally half the price if I go in under my family's plan on ATT, but I am capped at 3GB data (which I don't currently use, but could as smartphone apps get better and better).
Two things:

First, if your data usage habits are such that you're not using anywhere near 3 GB/mo data now, chances are you're probably not going to start to. The only smartphone apps that are going to eat gobs of data are those that already do, namely audio/video streaming. There's not really much you can do with other apps that would require a boatload more data than they use today, and the fact that folks are moving to tiered data plans are going to disincentivize them further.

More importantly, I don't think it's worthwhile to base plan/carrier decisions today on what companies are going to do years out from now. Sprint could drop unlimited data, or they might not, nobody knows, it's a tossup. Do you really want to continue to pay 2x a month just to hedge your bets on that, for something you're not really using anyways?

Besides, if Sprint does decide to drop unlimited data, like AT&T and Verizon, they'll probably try to actively get folks off unlimited data plans by doing things like removing subsidized upgrade eligibility or actively antagonizing folks that approach anywhere whatever limited-data threshold they do adopt.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

For that matter, even if I had one more month, is the ETF less than what that bill would be (~$75 after my discount?)
Your prorated ETF is probably $50 and has been for a few months now.

Dunno whether they'd stick you with the ETF or not given that you have less than a month remaining and you're already paid through 9/3. You could probably successfully argue against it if they do. Of course, if you actually cancel on 9/3 they shouldn't try to bill you for September since that billing period doesn't start until 9/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I got a question about my account:

I've already decided that when my contract is up, I'm switching to a pre-paid plan with an unlocked Nexus. I've never gone over half a gig of data the entire two years I've had an Android phone, so there's no point in paying an extra $30 a month for the "unlimited data" that I have no need for, and is in fact slower than what I would get on a StraightTalk plan.

When I check my account online, it says my contract end date 9/3/12. My bill is all paid up, so in theory, that means I'm paid up to that date already, so I could cancel now and not get hit with an ETF? Of course, I'd be "losing" a month's worth of service I've already paid Sprint for, but I was just curious if that's how it worked, or if I had to pay for one more month (ie, the bill I'd get in September) to not get an ETF...

I'm the one that brought up the Straight Talk plan option in this thread right after duckman announced we'd be losing our discounts.

Well I've done more research on it since then and am now more certain than ever this is the route I'm taking. If I hadn't just renewed my contract with Sprint I'd actually do it right now, discount or no. A real GSM Nexus and an international phone are really nice perks.

If anyone is curious how it works, read this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014