Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Those are awesome and I need them now :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thank god I'm seeing it in 2D.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I can't wait to see what Peter Jackson does with the 3D technology (people who are good filmmakers seem to know how to use it very well like Cameron, Scott, Spielberg) but goddaamn, how stupid do those loving things look.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The Eagles' perspective will be the only one that matters.

Their viewpoint will be completely condescending and sanctimonious like a parent picking up their sixteen year-old because they snuck out and went to a party and drank too much to drive home.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Golly, these look comfortable :shepface:

LMFAO

Wow, these are terrible.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I'm really, really tempted to make a Peter Jackson "deal with it" gif with those glasses.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Welp glasses are back to being for dorks again, better go order some contacts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

3D contacts would be pretty cool.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

You don't understand jokes.

It sounded plausible and maybe a neat way to deliver the extra information in a supplemental way :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

It's like they somehow managed to fuse 80s special-education glasses with chem lab goggles and filter the entire thing through Middle-Earth. If Lord of the Rings never existed as a film franchise these would be the most supreme dork identifier since getting a tattoo of your Rolemaster character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

It's like they somehow managed to fuse 80s special-education glasses with chem lab goggles and filter the entire thing through Middle-Earth. If Lord of the Rings never existed as a film franchise these would be the most supreme dork identifier since getting a tattoo of your Rolemaster character.

To me I don't even associate those glasses with a Middle Earth look, more like a

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

I'm really, really tempted to make a Peter Jackson "deal with it" gif with those glasses.

For the love of god please do this.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Szmitten posted:

It sounded plausible and maybe a neat way to deliver the extra information in a supplemental way :(

I actually think it could be cool and it would be interesting to have a fantasy story use an unconventional narrative technique like that, but no I made it up. I don't have a cousin.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The third movie should just be that "Planet Middle Earth" mocumentary the thread was talking about earlier.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Although this is hardly the most substantial news, if anyone wants to see what bits were changed in the G-rated version of the trailer, have a look here:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/g-rated-hobbit-trailer-screencaps/

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Thank god I'm seeing it in 2D.

Completely agreed.

I've gone to three 3D movies and got a headache each time.

Plus my wife's boss (ophthalmologist) told me some mumbo jumbo of long term effects of "forced" 3D.

I dont know how true any of it was, but combined with the headaches I'm out

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

aBagorn posted:

Completely agreed.

I've gone to three 3D movies and got a headache each time.

I kind of think that is the point of shooting at 48fps. Stop headaches. Make it smoother. I hope it saves 3D for me. I can kind of tolerate it but I don't get immersed by it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gloomiebat posted:

For the love of god please do this.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ahaha I was truly surprised by the 3D font there. Awesome.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geekboy posted:

Just like Tolkien's WWI experiences had taught him that it's easier to die in the heroic quest than to live on afterwards (making the Hobbits live after their trek to Mount Doom was actually pretty revolutionary in terms of heroic fiction - and a much more brutal thing for the characters to deal with in many ways), it's the lingering pain and the otherness that the horrors of war instill on their survivors that are the real battle scars for all soldiers. The Houses of Healing were the weakest part of all that, but the need to show poor Frodo being unable to leave his experience behind him was 100% essential.

I took it as a "You can never go home again" lesson. I grew up in a small town, joined the Marines, traveled the world, became a programmer at a global company, traveled the world again prior to Y2K checking their systems, married, had a kid, and finally moved back to where I grew up... and it has never felt the same. "Home," for me, was a memory. And The Shire was saved, but not for Frodo.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

:bravo:

That's perfect. I expect to see that on every corner of the internet by the end of the day.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Haha, that's even (nearly) the perfect angle.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oh god that is perfect.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

You are a wonderful human being.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

I love you a bit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think this is a straight up money grab. Two films would have been just fine. If the second film was going to be 3.5 hours, they can add an hour or so worth of stuff and turn that into two movies pretty easily. This was pointless and will not make things better, just more expensive.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am pretty sure that Jackson is not doing it for the money, i don't think he would be doing this if he didn't think it would be a good idea, though that doesn't mean it is going to be good.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
As I've said before...all movies are for the money. Pretending it's any different is silly.

Of course, that doesn't mean one can't love making movies on top of making money. PJ is a great example of that when he finds material that sparks his interest (like Tolkien)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As I've said before...all movies are for the money. Pretending it's any different is silly.

Of course, that doesn't mean one can't love making movies on top of making money. PJ is a great example of that when he finds material that sparks his interest (like Tolkien)

That's just silly and implies noone never ever do anything out of interest or love. Yeah, filmmaking is big business, but Jackson already has all the money he needs so I think he's doing this because he wants to.

The studio on the other hand...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'll give the studio the benefit of the doubt in one topic, in that if there is a natural ending to film 2 and the story works out better with Smaug ending the second film then I don't mind the third film.

As long as the the possible suckitude is contained to the third film and it doesn't spread into the first two and the first two are relatively short like two hours or so, I think this could actually improve the first two and just leave the possibility of the third sucking. Which I'm fine with.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'll give the studio the benefit of the doubt in one topic, in that if there is a natural ending to film 2 and the story works out better with Smaug ending the second film then I don't mind the third film.

As long as the the possible suckitude is contained to the third film and it doesn't spread into the first two and the first two are relatively short like two hours or so, I think this could actually improve the first two and just leave the possibility of the third sucking. Which I'm fine with.

Yeah I can totally imagine Smaug's death having the same feeling as the end of the Pelennor Fields battle. It had been over two hours of non stop action and visual spectacle and you suddenly realized there's so much more to be done. Frodo isn't really all that close to Mt. Doom and there's still all of Mordor to worry about.

Smaug's story comprising all of movie #2 works better for me than having his story begin and end AND THEN have a whole 'nother plot added on for another hour and a half.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
I hope Jackson is a little more restrained/subtle with the CGI in these movies. The first LOTR had the perfect use of CGI and then it gets progressively worse through the rest of the series, some scenes in Return of the King are just straight up bad/groan inducing. King Kong suffers from this problem even more so it doesn't end there. Of course part of the problem is that Jackson handles so many CGI characters/scenes well that the flaws really stand out.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

:golfclap:

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I hope Jackson is a little more restrained/subtle with the CGI in these movies. The first LOTR had the perfect use of CGI and then it gets progressively worse through the rest of the series, some scenes in Return of the King are just straight up bad/groan inducing. King Kong suffers from this problem even more so it doesn't end there. Of course part of the problem is that Jackson handles so many CGI characters/scenes well that the flaws really stand out.

Film 1 is completely full of action scenes and encounters with various CG monsters, so Jackson will not be cutting back there. Film 2 is all about Smaug, an enormous CG showcase, and also probably an epic battle of Dol Guldur. Film 3 is mainly about a battle between five armies that will no doubt eclipse the Pelennor in complexity, and certainly variety of combatants.

So, in conclusion, and with a rumoured budget that approaches a record-breaking $800 million, Jackson will not be going light on the CG.

Not entirely sure what you mean when you say "restrained/subtle" - do you just mean well integrated, as opposed to rushed and badly composited? I'm pretty sure PJ has the budget this time to make sure it all looks good.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 5, 2012

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

So, in conclusion, and with a rumoured budget that approaches a record-breaking $800 million, Jackson will not be going light on the CG.

Where are you getting that number from?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Trump posted:

Where are you getting that number from?

I can't remember the sources but I've been hearing it since the announcement of the 3 films.

Edit: here's one source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/business/media/hollywood-acts-warily-at-comic-con-fearing-bad-publicity.html

Although they say that includes marketing, not just the production.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oasx posted:

I am pretty sure that Jackson is not doing it for the money, i don't think he would be doing this if he didn't think it would be a good idea, though that doesn't mean it is going to be good.

I haven't been following the development of these movies at all, but didn't he outright refuse to direct The Hobbit in the first place? I'm genuinely curious, what happened between now and then to turn something he didn't want to direct into three entire movies? If not money, then what?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't been following the development of these movies at all, but didn't he outright refuse to direct The Hobbit in the first place? I'm genuinely curious, what happened between now and then to turn something he didn't want to direct into three entire movies? If not money, then what?

He was burned out after LOTR. But then "thanks" to all the delays, enough time passed for him to get all geeked up about Tolkien again.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
With the figures he makes for the movies it's hard to imagine it's not in some part about the money. Most of the time he looks pretty miserable on sets anyway

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hakkesshu posted:

If he wanted money he would have accepted the job as director right away, it is not like he could have known that Del Toro would quit, and it also became obvious that there weren't really anyone else who could do it.

Whenever you see one of those production videos it is clear that he loves making these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Zzulu posted:

With the figures he makes for the movies it's hard to imagine it's not in some part about the money. Most of the time he looks pretty miserable on sets anyway

Miserable? He looks like a pig in poo poo. A tired pig in poo poo perhaps, but still gleefully happy about what he's doing.

• Locked thread