Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. You made some good points and this thread gets super defensive about their tablets.

That's kind of expected.

I thought it was a great discussion but if you're going to be that critical you might want to make your own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Toady posted:

Not interested in platform wars. Apple handing out iPhone bumpers doesn't mean it's acceptable for Nexus 7 screens to detach just because they're $200.

What's acceptable for $200 is a limited amount of devices with issues that can get replaced. Have any hard numbers?

Let's move on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone with an N7 know what battery percentage theirs dies at? Mine is going at ~15% and I don't know if it's a hardware issue or just a display bug.

Soul Glo posted:

But, I've seen the thing open online, and there isn't any adhesive at all actually in there-- just screws. I was thinking of getting an opening tool and tighening the screws and just brushing the screws with some glue, but am wondering if it would be easier to just wait until my 15 days at Staples is almost up and exchange it.

There is definitely glue, or more accurately some kind of double-sided tape. Enough people have had success by applying pressure overnight for that to be clear.

This guy totally took his apart:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109198286439072949620/albums/5767781796344599121

And posted about the problem here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109198286439072949620/posts/bZReL2nhEHs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29194958&postcount=372

Just seems like bad design. Stronger glue/tape might fix it I guess.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like how a slight miss-setting of the screen - so slight most people had to be told about it before they knew they had it - becomes "hurr your screen is detached lol"

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I've also got the flickering but I've only noticed it in gReader which is pretty much all white backgrounds all the time.

edit: I think I have a totally different flickering issue than most people. My screen isn't flickering between light and darkness (like the auto sensor can't seem to figure things out) but more like there are graphical anomalies happening. Doesn't happen all the time although I think the next time it happens I'll try to capture a video of it doing whatever it's doing. Again, I've only seen this happen in gReader so it just may be that app.

averox fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 6, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I started getting the flickering also, but it was only late at night while in the browser, so I assumed it could have been my very tired eyes. I guess the only solution is returning it for a new one? Ebuyer are still sending me emails with the Nexus 7 in it, so I guess they still have stock, but what's to say a new one won't have the same issue?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cakefool posted:

I like how a slight miss-setting of the screen - so slight most people had to be told about it before they knew they had it - becomes "hurr your screen is detached lol"
I didn't notice it initially except because of all the people complaining about it, but now it's squeaky and crunchy if I touch the screen or hold the device on that side. It's disconcerting to have the screen sink into the device with normal use. I'm waiting for my Dodocase to show up before I send it back since mine already has some wear on the crappy grey trim.

Don't get me wrong, I love the thing. Great value and does everything I hoped and more. I honestly find the 7" form factor preferable too. I got a laptop from work if I ever need anything portable and bigger. Devouring novels once again.

I like comics on it, but they're frustratingly expensive. I hate having to borrow compilations or buy them on Amazon because they're just SO MUCH cheaper than digital versions.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just got this case that was linked to a couple of pages back because it was on sale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2POAS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Love it so far, exactly what I wanted. Not too thick but makes me feel like the N7 is very well protected. Hoping the little tabs that hold it in stay strong.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Dave posted:

I just got this case that was linked to a couple of pages back because it was on sale:

Love it so far, exactly what I wanted. Not too thick but makes me feel like the N7 is very well protected. Hoping the little tabs that hold it in stay strong.

I have that case, I also bought this one, but haven't received it yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120960553797&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160#ht_3198wt_1397

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

The Dave posted:

Hah, i was the guy who linked that and somehow you got it before me. Good to know you like it, i felt i was gambling a bit on the case, but the price was so good i couldn't pass it up.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

That looks interesting, i see it acts as a flat stand for keyboard typing, does it also act as a vertical stand?

Also, give us a review when you get it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If I had the lifting screen issue I wouldn't get a replacement...yet.

As long as it's not irritating you, hold off for 3 months or something and then get your replacement. You'll have a better chance of getting an N7 that came off the assembly line after they fixed whatever the issue is.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Thermopyle posted:

If I had the lifting screen issue I wouldn't get a replacement...yet.

As long as it's not irritating you, hold off for 3 months or something and then get your replacement. You'll have a better chance of getting an N7 that came off the assembly line after they fixed whatever the issue is.

at this point a lot have people have purchased them from retail stores; those people are better off returning them to the retail store and getting a new one instead of having to deal with an RMA process (regardless of Asus' customer service level). At three months they're stuck with RMAs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

El Duke Silver posted:

at this point a lot have people have purchased them from retail stores; those people are better off returning them to the retail store and getting a new one instead of having to deal with an RMA process (regardless of Asus' customer service level). At three months they're stuck with RMAs.

Yeah, it all depends on how much of a hassle the replacement process is going to be for you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Has anyone noticed any static interference when using headphones while touching stuff on the screen? Mine has started doing it and it's pretty annoying, though I tend to only use headphones when I'm watching videos, so I'm not touching the screen that often.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cakefool posted:

None of this is accurate.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Can someone with a Nexus 7 play this video and let me know how high they can have the volume before it clips? I can't have most videos above 50% without the internal speaker experiencing distortion/clipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

The Dave posted:

Does it have the automatic sleep on close feature?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It does.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

Can someone with a Nexus 7 play this video and let me know how high they can have the volume before it clips? I can't have most videos above 50% without the internal speaker experiencing distortion/clipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

I can turn mine up pretty much all the way. Someone else in the thread had a speaker issue and returned it for one without, so you've probably got the same thing going on.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

powderific posted:

I can turn mine up pretty much all the way. Someone else in the thread had a speaker issue and returned it for one without, so you've probably got the same thing going on.

Yeah, my replacement sounds fine even at 100% volume levels.

My original one would distort at like 10%.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El Duke Silver posted:

I have been enjoying laughing at people on XDA panicking about this even though they live in the UK and can walk into the shop any time in the next six months and get it replaced instantly. Feel sorry for countries with lovely consumer laws though :/ .

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just wanted to add to this that if anyone buys their Nexus 7 at Nebraska Furniture Mart (in the US located in Omaha, NE, Clive, IA, Kansas City, KS, and I think somewhere in Texas) and you get a 2 year protection plan on it, you will be allowed to return the tablet back to the store at any time for the next 2 years (starting from the day you leave the store with your item) and get a brand new one if something comes up (or your money back).

So if you do get the screen lifting problem or whatever happens, you can get another.

I'll probably buy mine from there with that protection plan just in case.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Toady posted:

Not interested in platform wars. Apple handing out iPhone bumpers doesn't mean it's acceptable for Nexus 7 screens to detach just because they're $200.

Toady posted:

None of this is accurate.

You yourself said they detach, others have described their screen lifting issue as almost unnoticeable or extremely slight, tell me again how none of my post is accurate? :allears:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

powderific posted:

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Yeah, my replacement sounds fine even at 100% volume levels.

My original one would distort at like 10%.

Thanks! I was hoping it was just my device. Time to try out the google support and hope my new one is perfect.

ericdude
Feb 15, 2008
Ken Masters' #1 fan

Cakefool posted:

You yourself said they detach, others have described their screen lifting issue as almost unnoticeable or extremely slight, tell me again how none of my post is accurate? :allears:

It's unacceptable that people are resorting to putting books on the screen of a $200 device because the service reputation of the manufacturer is so poor.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ericdude posted:

It's unacceptable that people are resorting to putting books on the screen of a $200 device because the service reputation of the manufacturer is so poor.

I figured my $200 bookshelf needed a break. :v:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

ericdude posted:

Unacceptable is probably best reserved for actual problems and maybe the economy. If putting a book on it resolves it then I'd say that's far more acceptable than return hassle. And ASUS actually has an amazing service reputation last I heard, but every company is allowed a few mistakes.

For what it's worth I just bought my second Nexus 7 that has no issues (will be four total when I'm done). Staples is on a roll!

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

OldPueblo posted:

For $200 they don't need to, and that still gets you a better ecosystem.

OldPueblo posted:

And ASUS actually has an amazing service reputation last I heard

Ok at least we know you're trolling now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

OldPueblo posted:

And ASUS actually has an amazing service reputation last I heard, but every company is allowed a few mistakes.

Is this a sarcasm post?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Is this a sarcasm post?

I haven't refreshed my many PCs in a long time, did they take a nose dive or something? I'll admit to this being my first ASUS purchase in while. Are we talking RMA service or quality products? Their motherboards used to be awesome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

I haven't refreshed my many PCs in a long time, did they take a nose dive or something? I'll admit to this being my first ASUS purchase in while. Are we talking RMA service or quality products? Their motherboards used to be awesome.

Asus quality control sucks as well as their ability to service said products.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Thermopyle posted:

Asus quality control sucks as well as their ability to service said products.

I've heard horror stories in this thread (mostly referencing Xda) but I've been using Asus for PC parts for years with no issues. Anecdotal evidence and all that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Glimm posted:

I've heard horror stories in this thread (mostly referencing Xda) but I've been using Asus for PC parts for years with no issues. Anecdotal evidence and all that.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad about their quality on PC stuff. Just their tablets.

Also anecdotal and all that.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

This is my first "ASUS" tablet, I had forgotten that they make a lot of tablets so I guess I missed all that hooey.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Loonytoad Quack posted:

How do I stop the library picking up random MP3s on a Nexus 7? I have ScummVM and MP3s from things like Simon the Sorcerer 2 are showing up on my library page and it's very annoying. I tried creating a .nomedia file but that didn't do anything, is there some special place I have to put the files for them not to show up?

I apologize for interrupting the Nexus 7 glue vs. heavy weights discussion but does anyone have an answer for Loonytoad Quack's question? It's an issue I have, too.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Captain Kevbo posted:

I apologize for interrupting the Nexus 7 glue vs. heavy weights discussion but does anyone have an answer for Loonytoad Quack's question? It's an issue I have, too.

This is a non-answer but also possibly a workable one. Are we talking about the Library widget? You might consider just using a different app to sort/find your music. One that will presumably come with its own widget that functions better. I didn't see many options to play with.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

FormatAmerica posted:

Try Tweetlanes. It targets ICS/JB specifically and is quite nice.

Thanks for the recommendation, I tried Plume but couldn't figure out how it worked.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Captain Kevbo posted:

Use google music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ericdude posted:

"Unacceptable" is a very relative term. If I can fix a problem with a small weight overnight versus any RMA process, I'll clamp that bitch. I know a lot of people critical of doing the fix aren't remotely handy with tools, so that has to be taken into account.