Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Meowjesty posted:

Goddamn RE5 really is more goofy than I give it credit for. Extreme makeovers, seven minutes to hang out, giant people pod pits. If only Chris and Sheva were in on the joke the same way Leon was in 4.

It's action-movie goofy as opposed to giant terracotta midget statue goofy.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shinji Mikami does with this new game Zwei he's working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of RE5, does anyone have any tips for the final chapter? I'm finding it really hard to progress past the point where I open the primary bulkhead and the two insect things appear. They keep one hit killing me, so I just ended up using the Grenade Launcher with explosive ammo but that seems wasteful. For the next part with the two gatling gun Majini I don't seem to have any enough ammo, but I do have enough first aid sprays. I also didn't really buy any of the new weapons and just upgraded the ones you start with, because that was the way to go in RE4.

So is there some trick or any easier way to get past this?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Meowjesty posted:

Chris and Sheva

I think this was my problem with RE 5. They're both just so dull, in comparison to all the craziness around them.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
All this nonsense talk makes me want to play RE5 co-op again. Anyone else have that itch and has the game lying around or on their hard-drive?

Edit: I mean, for playing the game normally without upgraded guns and infinite ammo and all that jazz. Be nice to play on a harder difficulty and be somewhat tactical with a friend to survive.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

xomocekc posted:

Speaking of RE5, does anyone have any tips for the final chapter? I'm finding it really hard to progress past the point where I open the primary bulkhead and the two insect things appear. They keep one hit killing me, so I just ended up using the Grenade Launcher with explosive ammo but that seems wasteful. For the next part with the two gatling gun Majini I don't seem to have any enough ammo, but I do have enough first aid sprays. I also didn't really buy any of the new weapons and just upgraded the ones you start with, because that was the way to go in RE4.

Don't worry about wasting the explosive rounds on the bugs. It's not like you're going to need it anymore. If you blast their limbs off with the shotgun, they won't be able to do their one-hit kill for a few seconds.
For the gatling gun guys, I normally go to the upper walkway on the left before they spawn. You'll find landmines in one of the rooms there. Lure them in and then keep alternating mines and grenades with Chris' haymaker.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Meowjesty posted:

I imagine people are just used to it at this point. I mean, RE5 had secret ancient-African ruins hidden in plain sight that nobody apparently ever bothered to look at. Then RE4 had a giant midget death robot. There was also the bottomless pit of people pods in 5. How did Wesker even build that? How do you just silently build a bottomless pit of people pods in the middle of not-Africa?

I mean at least two games in the series feature orbital laser cannons.

...For a series about zombies Resident Evil is really loving weird.

Let's not forget the penultimate boss in Revelaitons Zombie Humpback Whale

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

xomocekc posted:

All of the weapons in RE5 except the unlockable bonus guns are available at some point during the game, usually in a shiny silver case. You don't have to buy any of them.

The moment you throw the levers to open the last bulkhead, veer left and drop down to the lower level. If you go back the way you came, there's a short tunnel down there that's a perfect choke point. You can set up a bunch of proximity mines down there before you pull the levers, then lead the Reapers into the tunnel and blow them up.

For the gatling gun guys, they work a lot like they did in RE4. You can keep them both stunlocked with rifle or Magnum rounds to the head or hand grenades. The way you're "supposed" to beat them seems to be to lead them on a chase scene like I just recommended with the Reapers.

Another option, although it's only really useful if you have a buddy, is to wait until the final bulkhead opens and use the turret near the final door.

Fraction posted:

I think this was my problem with RE 5. They're both just so dull, in comparison to all the craziness around them.

"I've had enough of your bullshit!" is still my pick for greatest line in the entire series.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fraction posted:

Somehow, Chris's almost complete nonreaction to half that poo poo only adds to the crazy. Chainsaw dude? Sure, why not. A giant bat centipede? Whatever, bro. Meowth just turned into a giant tentacle whale? C'mon, man, I was in Code: Veronica, you need to step this poo poo up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crowetron posted:

Somehow, Chris's almost complete nonreaction to half that poo poo only adds to the crazy. Chainsaw dude? Sure, why not. A giant bat centipede? Whatever, bro. Meowth just turned into a giant tentacle whale? C'mon, man, I was in Code: Veronica, you need to step this poo poo up.

Chris has had enough of that bullshit.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
And now his descent into alcoholism makes all the more sense.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chris' tone is set from the very beginning of 5, when he says, "they don't move like any zombies I've ever seen." He says it in such a matter of fact unemotional way that you can just tell he has seen so much crazy poo poo that nothing can even touch him. He could watch a big rig turn into Optimus Prime in front of him and he would just say, "I've never seen a truck do that before," then walk away eating a candy bar or some poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Chris would work better if Sheva reacted more to things. He'd be a great straight man with a more vocal partner.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think Chris would work better if Sheva reacted more to things. He'd be a great straight man with a more vocal partner.

This is part of the reason why I'm excited about RE6. I think they realized the comedy in having Chris as the ultimate straight-man and are once again playing his campaign 100% seriously while Piers is probably like "uhhhhh what" the entire way through.

Seriously the Comic-Con demo for him is a fantastic example of this where he kind of casually runs up the giant, pulls a bone out it's back and then proceeds to jam the bone into the thing's giant obvious beating heart weakspot sprouting out of it's back.

There should just be a line of BSAA games starring him where you just fight the most insane monsters possible and break up a bunch of nonsensical master plans.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Does anyone also feel that Leon's character has changed so much since RE2 & 4? There's not much to say moving from 2 into 4, he's essential the same person. But in 6 it looks like he's really become anxious and sensitive to everything around him. Whereas Chris just sees all this crazy stuff happening around him and just deadpans all of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Does anyone also feel that Leon's character has changed so much since RE2 & 4? There's not much to say moving from 2 into 4, he's essential the same person. But in 6 it looks like he's really become anxious and sensitive to everything around him. Whereas Chris just sees all this crazy stuff happening around him and just deadpans all of it.

I think the idea is that after RE4, Leon tried to move on. Like, he has a good job, he's bros with the President of the United loving States, he hasn't seen a zombie in at least a couple years. And then all of a sudden, everything goes to poo poo, all his friends die, including his boss, and I think the Secret Service frowns on letting the Prez get zombiefied and then shot in the face, so he's probably out of a job, too. Dude's stressed as hell and just wants to get away from crazy monster-men.

Chris, though? Chris don't give a gently caress. He fought his archenemy in a duel to the death inside an active volcano. His life has peaked, basically. Unless Wesker comes back with some sort of moonbase and challenged him to a zero-gravity sword fight, it is all downhill for Chris Redfield. He just grabs a bottle of Jack and starts punchin' zombies and bug monsters in the face because, hey, gotta punch somethin', right?

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Flameingblack posted:

Characters can develop and evolve and I like it when that happens. I don't think anything we're seen so far is inconsistent with either of them in terms of character growth.

It's not like Leon is now a world-famous soccer player and Chris is a brony or anything.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That we know of.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Chris, though? Chris don't give a gently caress. He fought his archenemy in a duel to the death inside an active volcano.

He really hated that loving boulder.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Crowetron posted:

I think the idea is that after RE4, Leon tried to move on. Like, he has a good job, he's bros with the President of the United loving States, he hasn't seen a zombie in at least a couple years. And then all of a sudden, everything goes to poo poo, all his friends die, including his boss, and I think the Secret Service frowns on letting the Prez get zombiefied and then shot in the face, so he's probably out of a job, too. Dude's stressed as hell and just wants to get away from crazy monster-men.

Chris, though? Chris don't give a gently caress. He fought his archenemy in a duel to the death inside an active volcano. His life has peaked, basically. Unless Wesker comes back with some sort of moonbase and challenged him to a zero-gravity sword fight, it is all downhill for Chris Redfield. He just grabs a bottle of Jack and starts punchin' zombies and bug monsters in the face because, hey, gotta punch somethin', right?

Never put this much thought into this series. Goddamn these games are awesome.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Crowetron posted:

You probably just gave Capcom an idea for RE7; resurrect Wesker and give him a moon base.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Here's the achievement list.
http://exophase.com/game/resident-evil-6-xbox-360/achievements/
I'm interested in the bit about buying and levelling skills up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sneaking Around Get through the aircraft carrier's bridge area without being noticed.

Flying Ace Pilot the VTOL without getting a scratch on it.

Uuuuuuuuuugh. A stealth mission? Really? I hope that is better than it sounds. Likewise not too sure about the vehicle section...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lucid Delusion posted:

You probably just gave Capcom an idea for RE7; resurrect Wesker and give him a moon base.

I haven't played any Resident Evil, ever, what with generally only ever owning the consoles that it's released for as an afterthought, but this seems almost inevitable. Looking at the plots over the course of the series, we've got a substantial case of epicness creep.
RE1/REmake: Zombies in a mansion. Not epic.
RE2/3: Zombies all over a city. Fairly high stakes here.
RE:CV: Zombies all over an island and also Antarctica. Kind of hard to place this one on the epic scale but we now also have Harrier jets and submarines so I'd say it's a notch up.
RE0: God, hell if I know. Zombies in a nonsensical series of settings with strong fascist allusions... I can't figure this one at all.
RE4: Notzombies in a setting larger than a city, but smaller than a country, everyone's speaking the same language anyway, but the president's daughter is also involved. Epicness has risen again.
RE5: Notzombies in Africa. I don't know the full plot but I believe it involves adding a bunch more Notzombies in other places too, so this is at least as "epic" as RE4.
RE6: I watched the introductory trailers. We've got zombies on Air Force One, another city that's gone completely zombie, ruminations about the entire world getting turned into a zombie. Definitely shooting high on the whole epic thing.
And once we've dealt with a presidential and/or planet/wide zombie panic, where else to go that's suitably impressive but the Final Frontier?

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

ImpAtom posted:

Sneaking Around Get through the aircraft carrier's bridge area without being noticed.

Uuuuuuuuuugh. A stealth mission? Really? I hope that is better than it sounds. Likewise not too sure about the vehicle section...

This is going to be hilariously bad and fun at the same time. I can't wait.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

"Trophy List posted:

Shoot the helicopter pilot with a Magnum at point-blank range.

Hahaha, I never get tired of the Helicopter Pilot's getting killed in this series.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spermando posted:

Here's the achievement list.
http://exophase.com/game/resident-evil-6-xbox-360/achievements/
I'm interested in the bit about buying and levelling skills up.

Yep, this is pretty much Call of Duty now.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Yep, this is pretty much Call of Duty now.

Hyperbolic to say the least.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lucid Delusion posted:

Good Lord, I hope so!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3DS had equippable and levelable skills. I assume it's going to be pretty functionally similar to that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Good Lord, I hope so!

They don't even have to resurrect him. He's got a little brother named Alex running around, and there are at least eleven others that they could pull out of their asses.

I like to think that at least one of the as-yet-unseen Wesker Children is a dead ringer for Albert but is actually a pretty nice guy. Goes to church, has a couple of kids, still very much in love with his first wife, is a really big They Might Be Giants fan. Teaches biology at a private school somewhere and has to continually convince his bros that no, it's not a clever plan to conduct tests on the students.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

They don't even have to resurrect him. He's got a little brother named Alex running around, and there are at least eleven others that they could pull out of their asses.

I like to think that at least one of the as-yet-unseen Wesker Children is a dead ringer for Albert but is actually a pretty nice guy. Goes to church, has a couple of kids, still very much in love with his first wife, is a really big They Might Be Giants fan. Teaches biology at a private school somewhere and has to continually convince his bros that no, it's not a clever plan to conduct tests on the students.

That sounds like it would end with the poor guy accidentally running across Chris Redfield and getting punched in the face before he could explain that he was just trying to deliver cupcakes to orphans.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would buy five copies of that game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wanderer posted:

This is a fun mental image. Vaguely sinister hair-gel-sporting guy, wearing sunglasses in all circumstances, explaining adenosine triphosphate with one of those funky color-in scientific diagrams in a portable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Teen Hero Greg posted:

This is a fun mental image. Vaguely sinister hair-gel-sporting guy, wearing sunglasses in all circumstances, explaining adenosine triphosphate with one of those funky color-in scientific diagrams in a portable.

He likes to wear bow ties and his sunglasses are prescription. Whenever a kid asks him about them for the first time in a given semester, he takes it as an opportunity to explain how the human eye works and does so with such joy in the teaching that nobody ever notices that he doesn't actually answer the question. He drives a Prius and bakes a mean chocolate-chip muffin.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Crowetron posted:

Good Lord, I hope so!

Me too!

The trailers on TV look pretty boring, but I still pre-ordered the ps3 Archive Edition and am looking forward to this as I really enjoyed the poo poo out of 5 in co-op. Apparently I dont have enough copies of the first 4 games.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

He likes to wear bow ties and his sunglasses are prescription. Whenever a kid asks him about them for the first time in a given semester, he takes it as an opportunity to explain how the human eye works and does so with such joy in the teaching that nobody ever notices that he doesn't actually answer the question. He drives a Prius and bakes a mean chocolate-chip muffin.

His personality takes a turn for the sinister and calculating when he is offered an opportunity to take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a moon base as an "an average joe".

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Drakenel posted:

All this nonsense talk makes me want to play RE5 co-op again. Anyone else have that itch and has the game lying around or on their hard-drive?

Edit: I mean, for playing the game normally without upgraded guns and infinite ammo and all that jazz. Be nice to play on a harder difficulty and be somewhat tactical with a friend to survive.

I would like to do this.

Do you have it on ps3?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Pickled Kittens posted:

His personality takes a turn for the sinister and calculating when he is offered an opportunity to take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a moon base as an "an average joe".

Well I'm sold. I hope someone from Capcom is taking notes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pickled Kittens posted:

You guys are writing a sci-fi Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm having a ton of fun revisiting The Mercenaries Reunion to get myself in the mood for RE6 being released. Anyone got any tips?

When I'm playing the first map as Josh I can get to around 100 enemies routed, but the time always runs out. I'm collecting as many of the time bonuses as possible and using melee attacks as often as I can (suplexes, elbow drops, power kicks... I loving love playing as Josh), but I always run out of time.