Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Splizwarf posted:

Parts in those applications (like bearings) will still wear at startup due to cold oil's higher viscosity and the time it takes the oil pump to build pressure, it's why we use multi-weight oils and even that's not a perfect solution. Oil does not negate wear, it only reduces it; in some cases to to practically nothing, but everything wears at least a bit.

However when kept running those fluid bearings can have incredibly low wear rates in many applications if the oil is kept in good condition. Essentially they only wear from the shear forces of the oil right at the surface of the bearing faces. Of course if you get any contamination in them then things can go bad in a hurry:

A massive Kingsbury thrust bearing supporting 220 tons in a hydroelectic plant has been in nearly constant operation since 1912. As far as can be guessed from the times they took things apart to check it out the bearing has at minimum an expected service lifetime of well over 1000 years, although knowing for sure is practically impossible because the thing looked nearly brand new every time, even after 57 years in operation. Here's an article on it from the ASME. Somewhat of the opposite of a horrible mechanical failure. I love stories of the serendipitous way some designs turn out to be orders of magnitude better than the designers ever could have hoped.

While poking around I also found this example of when a Porche 928 S4 crankshaft and block love each other very much and decide to get together despite the objections of the thrust bearings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't surprise me, I know some people who will take 2.5l Audi Turbodiesel blocks and use them for petrol racers.

I remember reading that the 80's GM Diesel small blocks are coveted among the drag crowd. As a Diesel they were tragically bad, but overbuilt and well suited to racing duty.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shifty Pony posted:

However when kept running those fluid bearings can have incredibly low wear rates in many applications if the oil is kept in good condition. Essentially they only wear from the shear forces of the oil right at the surface of the bearing faces.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with this. If we could run them continuously, car engines would be a lot happier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nathan Explosion posted:

I remember reading that the 80's GM Diesel small blocks are coveted among the drag crowd. As a Diesel they were tragically bad, but overbuilt and well suited to racing duty.

Ironically, it wasn't the engine that was tragically bad, it was the failure to design in features that kept the engine healthy

For instance: GM failed to add a fuel/water seperator, resulting in the fuel lines rusting out, failed to instruct dealers how to properly take care of the motor, and failed to have them put proper heavy weight oil in the engine.

There are a lot of the GM diesels still running, I'd like to get my hands on one and turbocharge it and see what I could do with it.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Also head bolts with an incorrect tensile strength causing repeated blown head gaskets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Panaflex posted:

Also head bolts with an incorrect tensile strength causing repeated blown head gaskets.

Yeah, they used gas engine headbolts, ARP briefly made a stud kit for the GM diesels to help alleviate the problem.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Paul Boz_ posted:

drat, son. Where was this?

Backroads of Shreveport, LA. Currently stationed in this poop hole of a state.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

This is goddamn hilarious!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

all I can think is IT'S NOT A TUMAH

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stanyer89 posted:

At least you've got Ralph and Cackoo's or however it's spelled.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Stanyer89 posted:

That shithole is practically southern Arkansas. You should drive down to Southeastern LA and I can show you a good time. We don't claim anything north of the boot toe.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

For instance: GM failed to add a fuel/water seperator, resulting in the fuel lines rusting out, failed to instruct dealers how to properly take care of the motor, and failed to have them put proper heavy weight oil in the engine.

That's the thing. I had it in my head that the fuel injectors were weak or something. I distinctly remember a friend of my mom having a diesel caprice. The smell of it was memorable. I recall the red velour and the smell of fake air freshener cherries. Also, the lady bitching about what a heap of poo poo that car was.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Paul Boz_ posted:

That shithole is practically southern Arkansas. You should drive down to Southeastern LA and I can show you a good time. We don't claim anything north of the boot toe.

By good time do you mean more crater sized pot holes or hot girls and good beer?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nathan Explosion posted:

That's the thing. I had it in my head that the fuel injectors were weak or something. I distinctly remember a friend of my mom having a diesel caprice. The smell of it was memorable. I recall the red velour and the smell of fake air freshener cherries. Also, the lady bitching about what a heap of poo poo that car was.

Pretty much the whole fuel system was a cascading failure. The water-fuel issue would cause rust particles which could clog the injectors, the injector timing would gradually get retarded due to the chain-driven high pressure pump, and the pressure regulation on the high pressure pump would start getting squirrely if you added alcohol treatments intended for gasoline engines to the fuel (something people were doing to tray and alleviate the water issue). That could cause pre-detonation and blown head gaskets. Finally unlike the gas version of the engine the heads were attached with single-use bolts so when the engine was disassembled it would often be reassembled using the same bolts. Then it was only a matter of time until it failed again.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
That's a drat shame. A 350 ci Diesel should have been a force to be reckoned with. Instead, GM pretty much ruined the idea of America driving oil burners.

Besides ze Germans the diesel is still dead here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nathan Explosion posted:

That's a drat shame. A 350 ci Diesel should have been a force to be reckoned with. Instead, GM pretty much ruined the idea of America driving oil burners.

Diesels are making a comeback, VW had set a 7 year goal to get on top of sales, and they met that goal this year, and their TDIs are selling like hot cakes.

Chrysler has said they will offer a Turbodiesel Sedan in 2014 and Chevy in 2013

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2013-diesel-cars-in-the-usa-heres-the-lineup.htm

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I can't believe you just got me excited about a chrysler 300. I would so buy that (or the chevy cruze diesel)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nathan Explosion posted:

I cannot explain my love for the 335D in words. It's such a perfect car (other than the stock suspension and only automatic as an option).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's not just memories from twenty years ago holding diesels back in America, it's also the stricter emissions regulations, and lower sulfur in the fuel I think.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

It's not just memories from twenty years ago holding diesels back in America, it's also the stricter emissions regulations, and lower sulfur in the fuel I think.

Somewhat. California has been pushing their CARB II emissions stuff like a pedophile peddling candy to kids. Its a terrible system, that tests diesels like gas cars which plain doesn't work.

Diesels are going to be the long term solution to emissions for dino-powered vehicles, the Blu-Tec diesels are considered very close to zero emissions vehicles. Most VW TDIs are also considered emissions exempt in most states.

Diesel is on its way back, California just needs to stop peddling smack and pushing solutions that are still half-assed and not really full on solutions yet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I cannot explain my love for the 335D in words. It's such a perfect car (other than the stock suspension and only automatic as an option).

I'd even sacrifice the automatic if I could get it in a wagon. The M Sport package with all that torque is unreal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd even sacrifice the automatic if I could get it in a wagon. The M Sport package with all that torque is unreal.

I saw a BMW 335D in California, that thing made me smile...now if only I could buy one.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Stanyer89 posted:

By good time do you mean more crater sized pot holes or hot girls and good beer?

Knowing Paul Boz_, good beer and big holes. You should meet his mom.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I saw a BMW 335D in California, that thing made me smile...now if only I could buy one.

Go used or nothing, BMW discontinued the 335D in the US.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think there are still some new ones sitting on dealer lots. They were chopping off almost 10k from MSRP when they were trying to move them. Still, the car is over 50k once you get a few options on it.

Edit: Quick Autotrader search gives 59 new BMW 335d models available in the country.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EightBit posted:

Our fuel having way too much sulfur in it was one of the main reasons Euro diesels were not coming to the US. Now that ULS fuel is nationwide the engines will run fine. The real expensive bit is the NOx regulations in the US being roughly 10x more stringent which requires rather extensive emission controls, with California's regs being even more difficult to overcome.

The new ULS fuel has been blamed for many mechanical failures in older diesels though, which relied on the sulfur's lubricating qualities.

I'll believe the reports of GM and Chevy releasing diesels in the US when I see them in showrooms. There has been news about diesels in many new domestic cars "in two years!" for a decade at least. I even got mildly excited about news of the Liberty being equipped with one, until they noted it was a nearly $4k option, was a limited run because of upcoming emissions regs, and required an automatic. I'd love to see the Focus diesel come to the US.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

The new ULS fuel has been blamed for many mechanical failures in older diesels though, which relied on the sulfur's lubricating qualities.

I solved this by adding two stroke oil to my fuel.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

I solved this by adding two stroke oil to my fuel.

My father has settled on running B5-B20 in his farm equipment. Fortunately he found a nearby supplier who sells off-road dyed bio blends. The only downside is that when you first run it in a 20 year old John Deere you better have a good supply of fuel filters handy because the biodiesel is a rather good solvent and will clean any gunk off the inside of the tank. A better solution is to just go ahead and replace the tank and fuel lines when you make the switch, but parts for those older engines can be quite pricey.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

My father has settled on running B5-B20 in his farm equipment. Fortunately he found a nearby supplier who sells off-road dyed bio blends. The only downside is that when you first run it in a 20 year old John Deere you better have a good supply of fuel filters handy because the biodiesel is a rather good solvent and will clean any gunk off the inside of the tank. A better solution is to just go ahead and replace the tank and fuel lines when you make the switch, but parts for those older engines can be quite pricey.

Been there done that, first time I ran my home made biodiesel I went through 4 filters before it started clearing.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't surprise me, I know some people who will take 2.5l Audi Turbodiesel blocks and use them for petrol racers.

Boat posted:

I assume because you could then force-induction them to the moon?

The reason people use the eurovan blocks is because of the increased displacement, the 2.5 blocks can be upped to 2.7 while the 2.2-2.3 are stuck around that displacement. The blocks are pretty much identical between the gas and diesel 2.5 I5s for that generation.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 7, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bovril Delight posted:

I've put 35k miles on a white M Sport. God, this car. The stock suspension has issues though. In higher speed corners it weaves around and if you catch a pavement divider wrong, let alone a real bump, it's downright loving scary.

50k on this clutch/fw. My sister shouldn't have a manual.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I've put 35k miles on a white M Sport. God, this car. The stock suspension has issues though. In higher speed corners it weaves around and if you catch a pavement divider wrong, let alone a real bump, it's downright loving scary.

50k on this clutch/fw. My sister shouldn't have a manual.

Tell her that the left pedal is not a foot rest :gonk:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
e;f,b

Looks like somebody needs the "clutch pedal is not the same as dead pedal" talk. :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

e;f,b

Looks like somebody needs the "clutch pedal is not the same as dead pedal" talk. :allears:
It is now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Shifty Pony posted:

Our fuel having way too much sulfur in it was one of the main reasons Euro diesels were not coming to the US. Now that ULS fuel is nationwide the engines will run fine. The real expensive bit is the NOx regulations in the US being roughly 10x more stringent which requires rather extensive emission controls, with California's regs being even more difficult to overcome.

I'll believe the reports of GM and Chevy releasing diesels in the US when I see them in showrooms. There has been news about diesels in many new domestic cars "in two years!" for a decade at least. I even got mildly excited about news of the Liberty being equipped with one, until they noted it was a nearly $4k option, was a limited run because of upcoming emissions regs, and required an automatic. I'd love to see the Focus diesel come to the US.

GM is already running a marketing campaign to "educate consumers" about the benefit of diesels.

So either they are actually going to start selling a diesel Chevy at some point, or GM just likes blowing your tax dollars on free advertising for VW.

Bovril Delight posted:

I think there are still some new ones sitting on dealer lots. They were chopping off almost 10k from MSRP when they were trying to move them. Still, the car is over 50k once you get a few options on it.

Edit: Quick Autotrader search gives 59 new BMW 335d models available in the country.

So you've bought one then?
Based on what I've read the reliability of those engines is....not great. It's a sequential twin turbo like an RX7, but quite a bit more complex because the two turbos are actually also compound - the exhaust and compressor sides of both turbos are connected to each other and depending on RPM sometimes the larger turbo is feeding air into the smaller turbo, and it's all controlled by valves and wastegates that sometimes fail.

The new M550d is the same except with 3 turbos.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 7, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Half of US service stations? Where are the ones that don't sell diesel? :psyduck:

I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't. Are they talking about little hole-in-the-wall places in the backwoods, or are there diesel-dry areas in the US?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Half of US service stations? Where are the ones that don't sell diesel? :psyduck:

I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't. Are they talking about little hole-in-the-wall places in the backwoods, or are there diesel-dry areas in the US?

Near me (between Philly and NYC) it's significantly less than half. There's still no problem finding diesel, but most fuel stations that aren't on larger roads don't have it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

Near me (between Philly and NYC) it's significantly less than half. There's still no problem finding diesel, but most fuel stations that aren't on larger roads don't have it.

Lots of smaller stations in rural bumfuck Texas don't have diesel.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Many of the ones I see in urbanized Miami and Miami Beach don't have diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is already running a marketing campaign to "educate consumers" about the benefit of diesels.

So either they are actually going to start selling a diesel Chevy at some point, or GM just likes blowing your tax dollars on free advertising for VW.

From what I heard at work, the Cruze diesel has been in production, currently sitting in a lot near Lansing (unsure of the veracity of that part) and is going out soon. They were hoping gas would hit $5/gal this summer so they could release it when diesel's cheaper.

From what I know about the dealers' diesel abilities for Duramax engines and discerning client taste*, it's going to be a shitshow, STAY TUNED.

*When I first started this job, I worked on a claim for a buyback where the dealership had replaced a Duramax on a brand-new truck because "it had an engine tick."