Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Hmmm I wonder if I have enough distance from ME3 to enjoy Multiplayer again.

Probably not.

Still I'm glad that the philosophy I adhere to is so prominently bannered upon the second post.

It's strange, but I was totally turned off from ME3 after finishing the single player a few months back. Still, I find myself jumping back into multiplayer regularly for a game or two

Or at least until The Last Story drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the popularity and fun of ME3's multiplayer in spite of it being, in essence, a throwaway side project translates into a full-featured Mass Effect MP title somewhere down the line. I don't care about the ending or Commander Shepard or artistic integrity anymore, I just want to kill endless waves of bad guys and maybe other players too sometimes.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I really hope for a lot more of the MP, including Co-op story missions and linear objective based missions which feature a lot of enemies spawning endlessly while you attempt to hack the plot macguffin so you can proceed to the next or some such nonsense.

If you've seen the user-made missions in Killing Floor, you already know what I'm thinking of.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It'd be cool if they could get MP working on a lot of the ME2/ME3 sidequest maps. The designs for those are fairly unique and decently open, if a bit linear, and it'd be fun to do a co-op mission through the hull of the Shadow Broker ship or on that refinery in Zaeed's loyalty mission.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was hoping that the title of the thread would be another Star Wars pun, but, ah, c'est la grand prix vie.

I hope everyone is aware that this site exists.

Edit: I feel like the BSN thread listing the balance changes to the multiplayer should be added to the OP

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 7, 2012

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
About time a new thread was put up. I hope people are still playing this!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

exquisite tea posted:

I hope the popularity and fun of ME3's multiplayer in spite of it being, in essence, a throwaway side project translates into a full-featured Mass Effect MP title somewhere down the line. I don't care about the ending or Commander Shepard or artistic integrity anymore, I just want to kill endless waves of bad guys and maybe other players too sometimes.

ME 3's multiplayer was originally supposed to be its own game, Mass Effect Team Assault, which was going to be first-person. It was eventually scrapped, and pulled into ME3. :eng101:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Synastren posted:

ME 3's multiplayer was originally supposed to be its own game, Mass Effect Team Assault, which was going to be first-person. It was eventually scrapped, and pulled into ME3. :eng101:

Why the gently caress would you make a first person Mass Effect?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

"Because all the kids love those Call of Halo Duties! Why can't you make something like that?"

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think it would have been a bad choice. For me, if I'm going to play as Space-Gypsies or Blue Alien chicks, I want to be able to see them.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Mid-game disconnects are seriously on the rise for 360. Not to me, I'm happy to say, but almost every single Silver or Gold game I've been in for a week has someone disappear in the later rounds.

The worst ones from this evening: A pubbie I was using as an early Phantom detection device who, after disconnecting, didn't have a corpse to warn me with :( and a host who disappeared in the last ten seconds of Round 11.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
N7 Fury and Slayer make a goddamn disgusting close range combo. As long as the slayer's in front, you can set up combos on drat near everything. I know biotic slash sets off AF and DC, not so sure on phase disruptor.

But with the credits I got from the last murderscape, I unlocked the Demolisher. I don't know how to spec it :coal:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

N7 Fury and Slayer make a goddamn disgusting close range combo. As long as the slayer's in front, you can set up combos on drat near everything. I know biotic slash sets off AF and DC, not so sure on phase disruptor.

But with the credits I got from the last murderscape, I unlocked the Demolisher. I don't know how to spec it :coal:

This is what I roll with.
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMFF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

The additional grenade capacity gear is helpful but without it you still get a reasonable five grenades. As long as you can stay close to your supply pylon you can throw two grenades every twelve seconds and get topped off with your supply pylon. More if you're within reach of resupply crates. The DoT evolutions lets you trip off Tech Bursts when you throw an Arc and Homing Grenade in succession and Fire Explosions in the reverse order if the Arc Grenade kills something.

Throw in any heavy weapon you want since you don't give a drat about cooldown times. I'm running with a Harrier and a Piranha which works together quite well although both need armor-piercing or warp ammo on Gold and higher to take down bosses that much more quickly. Even with the armor damage evolution on Homing grenades, unless your squadmates are focus firing on boss units, the Harrier only chips away at the armor and the Piranha doesn't do nearly enough damage in one magazine to kill bosses.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I haven't booted up this game since before Earth came out. I apparently have some catching up and learning to do.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I did that build but maxed Demolisher instead of fitness, and stuck with a Falcon since I have no Harrier and my Piranha is ameasly level 1. I wrecked the poo poo out of Glacier/Gold, this is my new farming class du jour since indirect fire is the best kind of fire.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was looking through my Multiplayer Manifest and remembered that the Collector Rifle was a thing. Does anyone actually have that or use it?

Apparently the only way to get it is to redeem codes that you receive from buying ME3 merchandise. Never seen one in action in ME3 Multiplayer myself.

Edit: Although I have seen the Battlefield 3 Soldier everywhere.

kalel fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 7, 2012

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I've only seen the rifle once when I first started, I guess that means it sucks or people don't like redeeming things?

I just tried out a Vorcha sentinel and it's pretty hilarious how massively it owns everything with maxed flamer and a Reegar, you can pretty much solo everything except Banshees and turrets. Ran into a few interesting rounds where I was dying a lot while trying to learn the build but people kept running into fire to revive me without complaint, either because singleplayer has biased them to think that Vorcha are retarded or because even a beginner with the class can dish out such ludicrous damage.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Reegar plus flamer is fantastic against Banshees. Reegar the barrier off, apply flamer for the full duration while she ineffectually warps you, maybe hit her with another Reegar clip, and she'll be dead before she goes back to teleporting.

Ironically it's easier on your own. When she stops teleporting she'll put up a shield to stop most (all?) powers (including flamer) if someone hits her with stuff like warp or throw. She won't put it up in response to flamer by itself.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Edward IV posted:

This is what I roll with.
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMFF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

The additional grenade capacity gear is helpful but without it you still get a reasonable five grenades. As long as you can stay close to your supply pylon you can throw two grenades every twelve seconds and get topped off with your supply pylon. More if you're within reach of resupply crates. The DoT evolutions lets you trip off Tech Bursts when you throw an Arc and Homing Grenade in succession and Fire Explosions in the reverse order if the Arc Grenade kills something.

Throw in any heavy weapon you want since you don't give a drat about cooldown times. I'm running with a Harrier and a Piranha which works together quite well although both need armor-piercing or warp ammo on Gold and higher to take down bosses that much more quickly. Even with the armor damage evolution on Homing grenades, unless your squadmates are focus firing on boss units, the Harrier only chips away at the armor and the Piranha doesn't do nearly enough damage in one magazine to kill bosses.

I usually run my Demolisher with the Warfighter Package, and it works out pretty well since I get better Assault Rifle damage and more grenades. My second gear choice would probably be Stronghold package since I only run with 6 points in Fitness total, but to each their own. Playing as a Demolisher sucks when you play with other grenade using classes though.

Some pretty good pubbies I just ran with (N7 ranks around 5,500 and 3,500, but they WERE pretty good at killing things) informed me that the backwards walking trick with Pizza Delivery is not faster anymore. Boo, I always found it kind of funny to do those deliveries like that. It's not as if there wasn't a tradeoff either, seeing as you can't see what you were backing your rear end into, but it was fun while it lasted.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

404GoonNotFound posted:

Don't know, but Kotaku has a short article and some screens. Well, it's half article, half sales pitch for a Making-Of-ME video. Gets the point across, though.

Avenger looks better in first person than I thought it would.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Sorry to all my regular goonbros - I'm sick as a drat dog and can barely sit up straight, much less be effective at vidya games. Hopefully I'l kick this thing quick and be back in another day or two.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
There was an Asari Justicar with my Fury on a Plat FBG farming run.

Easiest Platinum ever. All of the explosions.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Good to see the new thread!

Would it be too early to write up class guides? I'm mostly a silver guy but there are a few classes I'm semi-competent with on gold (Salarian Engineer, Asari Justicar, Krogan Soldier) that I'd be happy to try explaining.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

GODDAMMIT EA DO NOT DROP ME ON WAVE TEN ON PLATINUM YOU MOTHERFUCKERS AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Good to see the new thread!

Would it be too early to write up class guides? I'm mostly a silver guy but there are a few classes I'm semi-competent with on gold (Salarian Engineer, Asari Justicar, Krogan Soldier) that I'd be happy to try explaining.

I think part of the reason there's a new thread is because some of the old guides were out of date.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

CowboyAndy posted:

It's strange, but I was totally turned off from ME3 after finishing the single player a few months back. Still, I find myself jumping back into multiplayer regularly for a game or two

Or at least until The Last Story drops.
It has been three months since I last played MP: I know it sounds weird, but I've been so burned on the original ending that I just could not bring myself to play more ME3.
I should probably get back in, though, given the new free DLCs that are now avaiable, and maybe finally play the revised ending.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Don't expect the ending to be that different.

MP is still fun, although currently I'm floating above Rio. On my Fury. At least I'm acting as bait.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Yeah feel free to write new guides, or link ones from the last thread that aren't ancient/awful. I'd check myself but the old thread is huge and I'm lazy :v:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Change the part that suggests people take the shield bonus because the Rage melee bonus is bugged. The passive melee works. It is patently false let's not start this thread off with misinformation :argh:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I could see a DLC goldmine if they made a left for dead clone (PvP optional like L4D), and started you off with a squad of named characters with random lines and reactions. Then just dropped additional characters while letting you keep and upgrade guns like ME3.

Or I dunno, just give me a full game of ME multi

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Okay, I haven't played since the Batarian/Geth pack. What's all the cool and overpowered bullshit now?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Okay, I haven't played since the Batarian/Geth pack. What's all the cool and overpowered bullshit now?

Geth Infiltrator with a Piranha.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

TastyLemonDrops posted:

These are the ones I've unlocked.

Cerberus - both variants have Smash and Lash, which are excellent powers. Smash is a close combat attack with high damage and slow startup frames. Lash is like Pull 2.0, goes thru shields and whips the enemy towards you. Fantastic on Phantoms.

N7 Destroyer - The Ultimate Soldier. No really. He can do what every other soldier does all the time and altogether, from grenades to increased shields to weapon bonuses

N7 Slayer/Shadow - Would you like to be a ninja or samurai in space?

Male Quarian Engineer - Wallhacking scans and the best grenades in the game. He's the Solid Snake of characters

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I was looking through my Multiplayer Manifest and remembered that the Collector Rifle was a thing. Does anyone actually have that or use it?

Apparently the only way to get it is to redeem codes that you receive from buying ME3 merchandise. Never seen one in action in ME3 Multiplayer myself.

Edit: Although I have seen the Battlefield 3 Soldier everywhere.

I have it. It sucks. It shoots fast for low damage, like Geth stuff.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

N7 Fury- Biotic Explosions all the time. Oh, and you just offed a Prime with your fart cloud of death while getting shield and movement bonuses from said fart cloud. As a bonus, a power you cast 5 minutes ago is jumping onto a new enemy once it's killed its current victim.

Become best friends with any other biotic class, especially the Slayer or Justicar, and rule the scoreboard.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Zoran’s Guide to Sentinel

Edit: this guide has been reworked. Go here.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 18, 2013

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Wampus42 posted:

Become best friends with any other biotic class, especially the Slayer or Justicar, and rule the scoreboard.

This. Guys, if any of you were having trouble detonating biotic explosions last night, it's because my Fury and a Justicar were using them all up. All of them. All the explosions.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Great guide Zoran! I love seeing posts with your kind of detail. I'd like to offer up a competing Turian Sentinel build write-up at some point (I emphasize the warp debuff and weapon damage with automatics, this tends to result in surprisingly high scoring games for me)

Question about the Paladin build (currently my favorite class to experiment with): I can't get Snap Freeze to reliably detonate tech bursts. My best guess is you have to actually freeze the target to see the tech burst, can you confirm this? I don't think I've ever gotten a burst via Snap Freeze on a boss enemy and trust me, I'm looking for it! It's still a great skill but this hiccup makes me take the debuff road over the tech combo damage for Snap Freeze for every build I make right now.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm not quite sure how the Destroyer fires the Missile Launcher (Cobra upgrade specifically). It seems like there is a delay from when you press the button until it actually fires - is that true? And does it launch up first, then target the enemy? I was playing some Gold and it just didn't seem to be very effective at hitting dudes (either because they died from something else first, or it just didn't target well, or it hit the ceiling, or something).

The Multi-Frag Grenades were cool, though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The missile launcher is a toggle. So if you were hitting the button and it seemed erratic - that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm not quite sure how the Destroyer fires the Missile Launcher (Cobra upgrade specifically). It seems like there is a delay from when you press the button until it actually fires - is that true?
It isn't a click-button-to-fire ability; it's an on/off switch. Activate it, your max shield HP takes a hit, and then things under your crosshair periodically get nailed with mini-missiles. Turn it off, the missiles stop flowing, and your shield tanking capability returns to normal.

Because the targeting and timing are somewhat unpredictable and the damage is unimpressive, many posters would advise you to skip it entirely. The only redeeming feature is a bit of extra stagger against crowds of enemy infantry, but that's usually not necessary/worthwhile outside of all-Husk matches.

• Locked thread