Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ron Burgundy posted:

That would be the contemporary "Tijuana sound" craze of faux Spanish style easy listening music spearheaded by Herb Alpert & TJB.

The immense success of this sub genre would produce about 800 million sound-alike groups.

No, I get that stuff- believe me, I've got a whole stack of brass band/Herb Alpert/Bossa Nova. I'm talking about straight-up recordings of bullfights. Like, one of the records I have is a double-disc: Disc 1 is a bullfight recording (just a bunch of crowd noises with band interludes here and there) and Disc 2 is a collection of pre-civil war Spanish folk songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Buying records you don't actually like isn't so much ironic as it is stupid. Or, in the case that you actually like the music, it's just not ironic at all.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Disc 1 is a bullfight recording (just a bunch of crowd noises with band interludes here and there)

Haha that's awesome.

That's part of what interest me in records the most, unlike pressed CD's they were cheap enough so that pretty much anyone that wanted to make one could. Anything and everything was put on record. If it makes a noise it's on a record somewhere.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I was in Chicago for Lolla and I randomly decided we'd go get breakfast at this place in Wicker park on Sunday before heading into the shows, and when we got out there we saw the Third Man Rolling Record Store posted up outside Reckless Records, and they were selling the Blunderbuss Thunderbolt LP! I guess they only sell it from the truck and only 20 copies per stop.

It was $53 but it is loving gorgeous, can't wait to listen to it later tonight (I'll grab pics when I play it). My wife got a copy too but before I can hook a goon up I have to give my brother dibs if he wants it, but I don't think he's into vinyl anymore since he got out of his punk phase.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

RizieN posted:

I was in Chicago for Lolla and I randomly decided we'd go get breakfast at this place in Wicker park on Sunday before heading into the shows, and when we got out there we saw the Third Man Rolling Record Store posted up outside Reckless Records, and they were selling the Blunderbuss Thunderbolt LP! I guess they only sell it from the truck and only 20 copies per stop.

It was $53 but it is loving gorgeous, can't wait to listen to it later tonight (I'll grab pics when I play it). My wife got a copy too but before I can hook a goon up I have to give my brother dibs if he wants it, but I don't think he's into vinyl anymore since he got out of his punk phase.

I missed out on this was in town for lolla but couldn't make it for this. If your brother doesn't want it I would be interested.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:haw: Just got my first picture discs and they are mighty impressive:

I have heard people say that picture discs tend to have lower sound quality but I'm not really hearing much of a difference, which is cool. A little bit of light crackling that's inaudible as soon as the music gets loud but I've heard that on new regular vinyl before so v:v:v

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just got my first picture discs as well in the picture disc re-pressing of Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit album. Also picked up Nihilist Spasm Band's Nothing is Forever at an interesting music festival in Meaford, Ontario this weekend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

het posted:

Buying records you don't actually like isn't so much ironic as it is stupid. Or, in the case that you actually like the music, it's just not ironic at all.

I was being facetious, hence the tone of the comment. I love ABBA/Disco-era Brothers Gibb/etc. with the same sort of detached tongue-in-cheekiness that I have for post-Gabriel Genesis or Lady Gaga.

In any case, I don't see "ironically" liking something as a bad thing and really hate all of the hostility it gets from people. I mean, I get that it's the spiritual antithesis of nerddom- you appreciate something that has earned its share of scorn without commiting to it and earning your social lumps because of it- but it's a lot healthier and more pragmatic than the alternative. It's the distinction between "I'm watching this cartoon for children. I'm gonna enjoy it for what it is" and "Who are you dressing up as for this year's Bronycon?"

I like collecting and listening to albums of schmaltzy synthpop, field recordings, fundamentalist Christian sermons, and bullfight noises in spite of- and because of how dumb, saccharine, bizarre, or downright lovely they might be. I'm sure as Hell not gonna listen to the Tijuana Brass the same way I'd listen to Patti Smith.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 7, 2012

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Harry Privates posted:

I missed out on this was in town for lolla but couldn't make it for this. If your brother doesn't want it I would be interested.

I'll let you know as soon as I know!

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
No matter where you live, it's amazing what pops up in your own backyard sometimes. Some old dude comes into where I work today with boxes of Italian crime and exploitation movie soundtracks and early electronic and experimental stuff (John Cage, Pauline Oliveros, Varese, etc.). I'd probably dig several of those soundtracks, but not enough to justify what they're probably worth. Between that, the hundreds of 70s Warner test pressings a few months ago and my meager wages, I'm almost tempted to just post a Craigslist ad offering to eBay poo poo like this for a cut.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In any case, I don't see "ironically" liking something as a bad thing and really hate all of the hostility it gets from people.
Because I think it's not actually ironic, and the whole concept of "liking something ironically" is almost exclusively used to stifle discussion and write off people's opinions. It's pretty rare in my experience that that phrasing is accurate, for one thing. It's often shorthand for "I'm afraid people I know would think less of me if they knew I liked this", which IMHO isnt conducive to honest discussion, because people are afraid to own their tastes.

quote:

It's the distinction between "I'm watching this cartoon for children. I'm gonna enjoy it for what it is" and "Who are you dressing up as for this year's Bronycon?"
"I'm going to enjoy this for what it is" is sort of the opposite of enjoying something "ironically" though? How do you enjoy things unironically if not for what they are?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Don't worry. In 6 months either they'll have sold their turntable and given up

-or-

they'll eventually realize that they have a crate of useless pointless "haha so weird" records that are taking the space of other things they could have engaged with on a level beyond "hehe this is so crazy *slides back into box*" and they'll end up right back in the bargain bin or the goodwill.

CYOA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

theradiostillsucks posted:

No matter where you live, it's amazing what pops up in your own backyard sometimes. Some old dude comes into where I work today with boxes of Italian crime and exploitation movie soundtracks and early electronic and experimental stuff (John Cage, Pauline Oliveros, Varese, etc.). I'd probably dig several of those soundtracks, but not enough to justify what they're probably worth. Between that, the hundreds of 70s Warner test pressings a few months ago and my meager wages, I'm almost tempted to just post a Craigslist ad offering to eBay poo poo like this for a cut.

Would you happen to have a copy of the soundtrack to Profondo Rosso (aka Deep Red)?

smallTalkExpress
Dec 2, 2010
Started my collection last weekend, I checked out a ton of thrift stores and estate sales. Got some pretty good deals!

All of those were 25 cents save the Bob Dylan, it was 8 bucks.

These were 25 cents a piece.

Nothing like digging though a box of hundreds of albums and then seeing one that makes your heart stop!

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

smallTalkExpress posted:

Nothing like digging though a box of hundreds of albums and then seeing one that makes your heart stop!

Which one was that?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How much cleaning do y'all do on all these old records you buy? My parents gave me some and they were still dusty after a cleaning. I just don't really listen to them, I don't need that poo poo on my stylus.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Every record that's shelved or traded goes through the VPI and I rub the jacket with a crystal to normalize the vibe field. Record bagged behind the jacket because I'm not a loving barbarian.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness posted:

Every record that's shelved or traded goes through the VPI and I rub the jacket with a crystal to normalize the vibe field. Record bagged behind the jacket because I'm not a loving barbarian.
ive toyed with the idea of buying a vpi but never had the guts because i have a decent hand-wash thing going with a broken table.

if yr not ready for the vpi plunge there are some DIY options but what I did was just get a table that's busted but still spins, put the record on, put a lil bit of plastic wrap over the label, carefully brush fluid thru it thoroughly, sometimes i do a pass with clean water after if it looks like it needs it otherwise just air-dry in a dishrack or something else. just be cool with the label if you don't want to mess it up. be careful of drips. i don't have to clean anything very often outside of the ol anti-static brush-down so it serves the purpose. it's a lot of work though.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Record bagged behind the jacket

I've seriously considered doing this but never went through with it. Maybe I should pull the trigger.

smallTalkExpress
Dec 2, 2010

synthetik posted:

Which one was that?

Pretty much all of the ones in the first picture, but RAM and the B.B. King one especially surprised me because of their perfect condition.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

CPL593H posted:

Would you happen to have a copy of the soundtrack to Profondo Rosso (aka Deep Red)?

We didn't get that, what we got was much more obscure stuff that I hadn't heard of even in my years of being a DVD whore with a more than passing interest in Italian stuff. Most of the titles were in Italian, I only recognized a Terence Hill/Bud Spencer joint and a western with Klaus Kinski out of the bunch. I'm pretty sure the Goblin stuff stays in print in some form or another if you don't have a hard-on for original or early pressings. You can't direct-link on their lovely site, but Forced Exposure has a reissue at the bottom of this page for $20.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

We didn't get that, what we got was much more obscure stuff that I hadn't heard of even in my years of being a DVD whore with a more than passing interest in Italian stuff. Most of the titles were in Italian, I only recognized a Terence Hill/Bud Spencer joint and a western with Klaus Kinski out of the bunch. I'm pretty sure the Goblin stuff stays in print in some form or another if you don't have a hard-on for original or early pressings. You can't direct-link on their lovely site, but Forced Exposure has a reissue at the bottom of this page for $20.

I was hoping to pick up an original because I'm not sure about the quality of the reissues and I only ever see them for sale from foreign sellers which always costs an outrageous price once you get done with shipping. That soundtrack was the only thing I liked about that loving movie.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I was hoping to pick up an original because I'm not sure about the quality of the reissues and I only ever see them for sale from foreign sellers which always costs an outrageous price once you get done with shipping. That soundtrack was the only thing I liked about that loving movie.

Not to spoil an entire subgenre for you, but soundtracks to Italian horror movies are almost always the best part. If you thought Deep Red was bad (it's usually regarded alongside Suspiria as Argento's best and most coherent film, which admittedly isn't saying much), steer well clear of Inferno, which is just a lovely movie by any standard, but again, has an okay score by Keith Emerson. I'd also recommend The Beyond soundtrack (it's also Fulci's only passable film). I think Mondo just put it out on LP, but of course it sold out instantaneously because they have no concept of supply and demand.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Not to spoil an entire subgenre for you, but soundtracks to Italian horror movies are almost always the best part. If you thought Deep Red was bad (it's usually regarded alongside Suspiria as Argento's best and most coherent film, which admittedly isn't saying much), steer well clear of Inferno, which is just a lovely movie by any standard, but again, has an okay score by Keith Emerson. I'd also recommend The Beyond soundtrack (it's also Fulci's only passable film). I think Mondo just put it out on LP, but of course it sold out instantaneously because they have no concept of supply and demand.

Oh I've already decided that I don't like Italian horror. Every single Italian horror movie I've ever seen is an incoherent piece of poo poo. I've never heard any reasons why they're any good other than "they have some cool looking gory scenes".

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

smallTalkExpress posted:

All of those were 25 cents save the Bob Dylan, it was 8 bucks.

I'll give you two bucks for Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road! That's a 300% profit! :v: Did the Sgt. Pepper's come with the cutouts?

A general question: What effect does the gram weight have on a record? Aside from making it heavier, of course.

And Suspiria and Deep Red rock. :colbert: Getting the Deep Red soundtrack on vinyl would be awesome.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Detective Thompson's unit was of particular concern because due to it's age it most probably has a sapphire stylus and a quite heavily set spring weighted tonearm. Also those units often had no protection from dropping the tonearm off the side of the player potentially damaging the stylus.

This one definitely won't protect the stylus if you drop the arm. I've done it once or twice. Is there an easy way to tell if it has a sapphire stylus. I took a look, and it just looks like plain old metal to me, but I don't know what I should be looking for. When you're talking about a heavily set spring weighted arm, do you mean the arm would be falling heavily on a record because it's being pulled down? Because the spring on the arm on mine doesn't seem to do much.

P.S. Also pretty jealous of y'all with the Tool records and a couple of others I'd dearly like to get. Good job finding those.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 8, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Detective Thompson posted:

A general question: What effect does the gram weight have on a record? Aside from making it heavier, of course.

Definitely makes it less prone to warp / shock damage, not sure what else though.

I got Sigur Ros' Valtari today and just ordered myself a copy of this:

It's the first time I've seen a copy for less than $100 including shipping, very excited for this one.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Detective Thompson posted:

P.S. Also pretty jealous of y'all with the Tool records and a couple of others I'd dearly like to get. Good job finding those.

There's a recent repress of Undertow that I see all over the place around town for around $15.99, Opiate is also fairly common and as an EP usually only goes for $7-10, Lateralus is quite common but as a 2 disc LP set usually goes around $30-35. 10,000 days has yet to see an official vinyl release but the the internet is filthy with a two LP bootleg pressing on clear red that goes for the same price as Lateralus. Aenima is the only one that's hard to come by, I see a lot on discogs.com for $90 and above, I once saw a pretty banged up copy of it locally for around $50 but passed due to it's condition/price. Of course Aenima is the rare one since it's the album I like the most.

If finding the other albums I mentioned as common is hard in your area let me know, I would be okay with grabbing the stuff I see for you and shipping it along.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

david puddy posted:

Definitely makes it less prone to warp / shock damage, not sure what else though.

I got Sigur Ros' Valtari today and just ordered myself a copy of this:

It's the first time I've seen a copy for less than $100 including shipping, very excited for this one.

Even though I don't like the album as a whole too much, this vinyl is drat incredible. My Baroness Y&G vinyl arrived at last, one lp yellow, one green. It looks really nice and has a sort of marbled effect. The corners of the jacket got a tiny bit dented in the post, but nothing too significant for me to worry about, the records seem fine. I also think it's one of the first 2xLP gatefolds I have where both records fit comfortably inside the actual jacket, with the jacket itself closing neatly. Top work, Relapse.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've noticed my speakers buzz whenever the letter "s" is sung. Any particular thing that could be causing this or should I just get some new speakers? They ran me $10 at a local Goodwill so I've no problems getting a new set.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I've noticed my speakers buzz whenever the letter "s" is sung. Any particular thing that could be causing this or should I just get some new speakers? They ran me $10 at a local Goodwill so I've no problems getting a new set.

Sibilance?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/178072/vinyl-sibilance-balance

Could be anywhere from your stylus out to your speakers.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Is there a specific (budget) brush that you guys can recommend? Cotton balls aren't working as well as I remember them working...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

het posted:

Because I think it's not actually ironic, and the whole concept of "liking something ironically" is almost exclusively used to stifle discussion and write off people's opinions. It's pretty rare in my experience that that phrasing is accurate, for one thing. It's often shorthand for "I'm afraid people I know would think less of me if they knew I liked this", which IMHO isnt conducive to honest discussion, because people are afraid to own their tastes.

"I'm going to enjoy this for what it is" is sort of the opposite of enjoying something "ironically" though? How do you enjoy things unironically if not for what they are?

I get what you're saying, but taste itself is a pretty fluid thing. If you have to "own your taste" for everything you like in exactly the same way then that doesn't really leave any room for variation. I love daytime courtroom TV shows, but I wouldn't categorize my appreciation for them in the same way that I would my appreciation for Apocalypse Now.

Maybe the phrasing's off (again, I want to draw attention to the tone of the initial statement because it wasn't serious at all), but I tend to see this thing- for lack of a better term- as a knowing detachment- not so much as a defense from accountability to others, but as something internal and personal.

For this argument, I'm defining "liking something for what it is" as appreciating it with awareness of its faults. "I like 'Trash TV' but I also know that it's pretty exploitative, lowbrow, and dumb- and I don't have to defend it to myself or others because I'll be the first to say so."

I pointed it out because the internet's take on it is often the "Zelda T-shirt" example that gets trotted out. Either you're wearing one because "ZOMG that game made MY LIFE back in the day, and it is totally a part of my identity as a geek" or because "I'm a shallow hipster who co-opts geekdom because it's hip to be square man, and like, Gamestation, man, right?"

Like, I get that you're either into something or you're not, but you're also allowed a bit of grey there.

stay depressed posted:

Don't worry. In 6 months either they'll have sold their turntable and given up

-or-

they'll eventually realize that they have a crate of useless pointless "haha so weird" records that are taking the space of other things they could have engaged with on a level beyond "hehe this is so crazy *slides back into box*" and they'll end up right back in the bargain bin or the goodwill.

CYOA

Haha, yeah bro- you totally pegged me and the 700+ records that I own! :thumbsup:

It's cool tho, once I get tired of amassing Boy George albums I'll just pawn my turntable and start collecting Juggalo velvet art instead. Blacklight velvet art.

Then I'll simply crush up the LPs, make a cocoon out of them and my own saliva, and emerge as the avatar of tacky Jesus during next year's Gathering.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Is there a specific (budget) brush that you guys can recommend? Cotton balls aren't working as well as I remember them working...

RCA makes one called the Discwasher. It's what I have, and was recommended to me by a shop owner in my area (I didn't buy it from him). I got it for ~$20 and it came with a bottle of fluid (60% distilled water/40% ethanol, most likely).

Also, what liquid(s) are you using to clean your records with? I'm sure tap water is probably ok, but I only use distilled just to be on the safe side. That said, I wouldn't go freaking overboard (I get my water free from a lab at work)- I have friends who've had good results with extra dirty records by running them under the tap with a little dishsoap.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 8, 2012

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, what liquid(s) are you using to clean your records with? I'm sure tap water is probably ok, but I only use distilled just to be on the safe side. That said, I wouldn't go freaking overboard (I get my water free from a lab at work)- I have friends who've had good results with extra dirty records by running them under the tap with a little dishsoap.

I've been told that lighter fluid is a great solvent to use on vinyl. I could be wrong, but I've heard that's what's used for archival of vinyl before it's stored long-term.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

isomerc posted:

I've been told that lighter fluid is a great solvent to use on vinyl. I could be wrong, but I've heard that's what's used for archival of vinyl before it's stored long-term.

Makes sense. I imagine that any relatively available organic solvent with a low evaporation temp (alcohols, basically) that isn't too corrosive would work. Butane seems right up that alley.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Haha, yeah bro- you totally pegged me and the 700+ records that I own! :thumbsup:

It's cool tho, once I get tired of amassing Boy George albums I'll just pawn my turntable and start collecting Juggalo velvet art instead. Blacklight velvet art.

Then I'll simply crush up the LPs, make a cocoon out of them and my own saliva, and emerge as the avatar of tacky Jesus during next year's Gathering.

code:
          ______
          |     |
          | you |------
          |_____|     |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                  ____/
____________     /               /`----------------->
|           |    |               |
| the point |    \_______________/
|___________|

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Makes sense. I imagine that any relatively available organic solvent with a low evaporation temp (alcohols, basically) that isn't too corrosive would work. Butane seems right up that alley.

I said gently caress it and tried it on a record since I had some lighter fluid laying around. Works incredibly well. It cleaned a ton of gunk off an old jungle record of mine.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Dr. Lariat posted:

There's a recent repress of Undertow that I see all over the place around town for around $15.99, Opiate is also fairly common and as an EP usually only goes for $7-10, Lateralus is quite common but as a 2 disc LP set usually goes around $30-35. 10,000 days has yet to see an official vinyl release but the the internet is filthy with a two LP bootleg pressing on clear red that goes for the same price as Lateralus. Aenima is the only one that's hard to come by, I see a lot on discogs.com for $90 and above, I once saw a pretty banged up copy of it locally for around $50 but passed due to it's condition/price. Of course Aenima is the rare one since it's the album I like the most.

If finding the other albums I mentioned as common is hard in your area let me know, I would be okay with grabbing the stuff I see for you and shipping it along.

I didn't know there's a recent repress of Undertow out there, thanks. Aenima would be the big one to get, as it's my favorite as well, but that's a lot of money for me at the moment. I haven't really been looking super hard for any records as of late, so they're probably around, I just haven't been out and about for them. Thanks for the offer on grabbing me some stuff, if I end up looking and can't find them, I'll take you up on it.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Hot Topic has a coupon code for 40% off and free shipping. DQ5G23FAU6 is the coupon code.

Got ATDI In Casino for $10

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Harry Privates posted:

Hot Topic has a coupon code for 40% off and free shipping. DQ5G23FAU6 is the coupon code.

I got all excited at the idea of getting Wish You Were Here for $16 but the shipping to my address is $23 :( Oh well. Undertow and Opiate by Tool are there for incredibly cheap, Detective Thompson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Harry Privates posted:

Awesome thank you for this. Picked up In Casino, Sharks - No Gods and Moving mountains ep

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 10, 2012