Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Thanks to this thread, it looks like I'm going to have my first smartphone soon, and without signing my firstborn over in a contract. Claims of the Nexus being relatively big are a good thing for me, as my hands are huge.

I've had my little Tracfone phone for 8 years now. It isn't even a flip phone :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Going to pimp Ting a little, but we're taking pre-orders for the Galaxy S3 LTE at $529 for the 16GB model. Phones will ship in 3-6 weeks, but hopefully sooner. :)

It feels like we're graduating, over here - we're no longer fighting device scraps and bottom-rung devices like MVNOs usually do. A bona fide top tier, brand new phone. Not only that, but it means we're now an MVNO for Sprint's LTE service, not just their old network. I think Sprint's friendliness to MVNOs in this manner will make them (and their army of MVNOs!) a force to be reckoned with in pretty short order. :)

And a "thank you" to the thread - a friend of mine in the States switched to the $30 T-Mo prepaid deal and purchased his own GNex. (his #1 priority was getting a Nexus, he didn't want to be chained to Samsung's updates like he was with Motorola)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

LiquidRain posted:

Going to pimp Ting a little, but we're taking pre-orders for the Galaxy S3 LTE at $529 for the 16GB model. Phones will ship in 3-6 weeks, but hopefully sooner. :)

It feels like we're graduating, over here - we're no longer fighting device scraps and bottom-rung devices like MVNOs usually do. A bona fide top tier, brand new phone. Not only that, but it means we're now an MVNO for Sprint's LTE service, not just their old network. I think Sprint's friendliness to MVNOs in this manner will make them (and their army of MVNOs!) a force to be reckoned with in pretty short order. :)

And a "thank you" to the thread - a friend of mine in the States switched to the $30 T-Mo prepaid deal and purchased his own GNex. (his #1 priority was getting a Nexus, he didn't want to be chained to Samsung's updates like he was with Motorola)

I might look you guys up when 4G LTE gets turned on, hopefully i get better service with the sprint towers (currently on virgin mobile). Sounds like you're going to have better phones than whatever VM ever has.

What's the challenge of MVNO's getting those high end phones anyway?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

There are a few reasons, one of them I can tell you about is simply size. On hot devices we simply won't get any allocated because we're too low-volume. For other reasons I'll have to defer to the rest of the people in here. :)

We'll be lit up on LTE as soon as our dev team hammers it out. We've got our rockstars on it, and should be online by the end of the month when devices start shipping. After that initial hurdle we'll be day-and-date on LTE markets whenever Sprint turns the towers on.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 3, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys, if you are on Tmo plan and get the tethering warning page, just change your browser's user agent. Opera 12 IME is the best alternate user agent.

Real simple.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LiquidRain posted:

There are a few reasons, one of them I can tell you about is simply size. On hot devices we simply won't get any allocated because we're too low-volume. For other reasons I'll have to defer to the rest of the people in here. :)

We'll be lit up on LTE as soon as our dev team hammers it out. We've got our rockstars on it, and should be online by the end of the month when devices start shipping. After that initial hurdle we'll be day-and-date on LTE markets whenever Sprint turns the towers on.

If you guys can get the iPhone and are allowed to unlock the SIM slot like Sprint-proper, that would also be pretty tempting in the future.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

MrBond posted:

If you guys can get the iPhone and are allowed to unlock the SIM slot like Sprint-proper, that would also be pretty tempting in the future.
We'd love to be able to do that as well! Any unlocked option would be completely right up our alley, and although we're primarily Android right now, we've stated that the iPhone and Windows Phone 8 would be great additions. :) (the problem then is unsubsidized iPhone prices...)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LiquidRain posted:

We'd love to be able to do that as well! Any unlocked option would be completely right up our alley, and although we're primarily Android right now, we've stated that the iPhone and Windows Phone 8 would be great additions. :) (the problem then is unsubsidized iPhone prices...)

Yeah :( Unlocking would be a nice get for you guys, since the current scuttlebutt is that Virgin mobile *won't* unlock the SIM slot. There's also something sour about unsubsidized Sprint/VZW phones still being locked to each of them, but that's a much larger problem common to both of them.

edit: Does any sprint MVNO support international roaming, now that I think about it? Doesn't look like Virgin does.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 4, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

MrBond posted:

Yeah :( Unlocking would be a nice get for you guys, since the current scuttlebutt is that Virgin mobile *won't* unlock the SIM slot. There's also something sour about unsubsidized Sprint/VZW phones still being locked to each of them, but that's a much larger problem common to both of them.

edit: Does any sprint MVNO support international roaming, now that I think about it? Doesn't look like Virgin does.
We do! Our roaming rates are here. If you mean moving your phone to their network and not paying roaming rates... no. :/

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

Ahh thats exciting that you guys are getting LTE! I am still researching a new provider as I am sick of paying $200 bills a month at verizon especially since I don't have a 4G phone.

The S3 that you will be selling, is it unlocked as it will work on any verizon/sprint network? Reason being if I decide to purchase your phone and don't like the service for any reason, I'd like to be able to bring it somewhere else.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Ahh thats exciting that you guys are getting LTE! I am still researching a new provider as I am sick of paying $200 bills a month at verizon especially since I don't have a 4G phone.

The S3 that you will be selling, is it unlocked as it will work on any verizon/sprint network? Reason being if I decide to purchase your phone and don't like the service for any reason, I'd like to be able to bring it somewhere else.
I don't have the answer to that on hand. I'll look it up for you on Tuesday (holiday here on Monday) and get back to you. I imagine it comes locked and we can't help you afterwards, and I know you can bring our devices to Sprint (but not vice versa, argh), but we also won't discourage you from bending rules a bit if you want to modify your device. ;) (usual caveats: warranty, etc)

I'll get the official reply for you on Tue. :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

whatever7 posted:

Guys, if you are on Tmo plan and get the tethering warning page, just change your browser's user agent. Opera 12 IME is the best alternate user agent.

Real simple.

Oh thanks, that is real easy. I found a guide for Google Chrome: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/12/changing-user-agent-new-google-chrome.html

Just hit CTRL-SHIFT-I on Windows and then go to the gear icon at the bottom of the developer Window, then choose Override, and change the agent to be a Galaxy Nexus.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Apparently Nebraska murdered GSM's family, friends, and pets, then burned their houses down and danced on the ashes. No GSM carriers have service here in any appreciable quality, not even in Omaha where a good half the state lives. :v:

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
About to take the Straight Talk plunge - I have an AT&T Contract due to run out 9/22, and intend to transfer my number the same day. Good bye, Death Star - you may have been expensive, but at least your service sucked. I have an unlocked (from Google) GSM Galaxy Nexus, my girlfriend has an AT&T iPhone 4. We should be able to buy StraightTalk SIM cards and sign up for a $45 a month unlimited plan each, and carry on.

I checked past months data usage - neither of us has ever gone over a gig of data per month in the last 8 months at least. Is it reasonable to expect, if I want to bang out a few emails on my laptop or Nexus 7, instead of my phone, that I won't get busted for tethering if I use the GNex as a WiFi hotspot? I'm not talking about torrents, Youtube, or any media, just quick, emergency WiFi, staying under their 100mb a day limit.

Anyone see any pitfalls to this plan?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

I don't have the answer to that on hand. I'll look it up for you on Tuesday (holiday here on Monday) and get back to you. I imagine it comes locked and we can't help you afterwards, and I know you can bring our devices to Sprint (but not vice versa, argh), but we also won't discourage you from bending rules a bit if you want to modify your device. ;) (usual caveats: warranty, etc)

I'll get the official reply for you on Tue. :)

Sound good, thanks! This is make or break on my decision whether to go to Ting or not.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Biting the prepaid bullet...just ordered a Galaxy Nexus from The Play Store, and going to StraightTalk's website now to get a SIM. Once that arrives, I'll port my Sprint number to GV, then forward that to the SIM number.

I wish I could do TMo's $30 plan, but they don't have any presence in VT, any TMo phone here just roams on AT&T towers.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the current best ROM for an Optimus V? I've had mine for about a year and it's starting to bug out; hoping a flash will help.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used this guide to root/install a custom ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1197991

I was using BobZhome's CM7 based ROM with no problems. Leslie Ann's Harmonia also seems great if you want it as stripped down as possible. It looks like there are now ICS/CM9 based ROMs out there, but I can't comment on those. There's a list and descriptions here:
https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc_common/wiki/Binary

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I've been very happy with Harmonia 2. It runs the most smoothly of all the CM-based ROMs I've tried, probably because it's so barebones.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the current best ROM for an Optimus V? I've had mine for about a year and it's starting to bug out; hoping a flash will help.

There's an ICS port that ran really smoothly on my OpV when I still used it. It's called Quattrimus, although a few things are broken it ran smoothly for what I needed it to do (calls, texts, a few fairly basic apps & web browsing).

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
This is probably a really simple question, and I apologize if this isn't the right thread for it. How would I tell on an Android device if it's a tri-band phone, for if I wanted to bring my own device to Cricket?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ignore this whole post.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 6, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I'm interested in possibly getting the HTC Evo V from Virgin Mobile. I don't see any dedicated ROM development forums for this phone. Is it because you can load normal HTC Evo roms on it or something?

Edit: Wait, the HTC Evo V is the same phone as the HTC EVO 3d?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 8, 2012

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mister Fister posted:

I'm interested in possibly getting the HTC Evo V from Virgin Mobile. I don't see any dedicated ROM development forums for this phone. Is it because you can load normal HTC Evo roms on it or something?

Edit: Wait, the HTC Evo V is the same phone as the HTC EVO 3d?

Exact same phone, yeah. To the point that some people were actually getting Sprint branded phones rather than Virgin Mobile branded ones.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

sethsez posted:

Exact same phone, yeah. To the point that some people were actually getting Sprint branded phones rather than Virgin Mobile branded ones.

Ah ok... i was reading a review back in june 2011 that the phone had very bad battery life (due to firmware or something). Was that fixed?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Mine has had a great battery life so far. I can easily go 2 days with normal usage, but I leave my 4g radio off until I need it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mister Fister posted:

Ah ok... i was reading a review back in june 2011 that the phone had very bad battery life (due to firmware or something). Was that fixed?

The first one I got had atrocious battery life, along with some other issues, so I exchanged it. The second one has been really good. If it matters, the first one was Sprint branded and the second one was not.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Good news, Mr Trifecta! Here's your official reply:

quote:

It's an unlocked, unsubsidized device. We give the MSL (master subsidy lock) codes to all of our customers.

Sprint will take the device as long as there's no active subscription on it (i.e. your friend just has to make sure he cancels his account with us before signing up with Sprint).

He won't be able to take the device to a GSM provider though (these are CDMA devices), so they'll work only with Sprint or Verizon.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

LiquidRain posted:

Good news, Mr Trifecta! Here's your official reply:

Woah, does this mean it'll work with Verizon's LTE as well? I would definitely consider signing up for Ting if i can sell the phone to verizon and sprint customers after i'm done with it.

Edit: Also, another question about Ting's service on Sprint's network. I'm on Virgin Mobile and it's my understanding that virgin mobile data doesn't go through Sprint's network normally like normal sprint customers do. It goes through a proxy in Kansas City first before being routed anywhere else. I imagine this decreases performance. Does Ting have anything like this?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 8, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

According to UPS, my Galaxy Nexus will be here today! :woop:

Too bad UPS never gets to my place before 6 PM.

Also, I don't think my StraightTalk SIM will be here until tomorrow.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mister Fister posted:

Woah, does this mean it'll work with Verizon's LTE as well? I would definitely consider signing up for Ting if i can sell the phone to verizon and sprint customers after i'm done with it.

Edit: Also, another question about Ting's service on Sprint's network. I'm on Virgin Mobile and it's my understanding that virgin mobile data doesn't go through Sprint's network normally like normal sprint customers do. It goes through a proxy in Kansas City first before being routed anywhere else. I imagine this decreases performance. Does Ting have anything like this?
Nope, all our service is direct through Sprint and goes through no proxy. Our service is every bit as fast as normal Sprint. We had a recent blog post on this very topic.

And yes - you can indeed sell your phone when you're done with it to a Verizon or only Sprint customers, as long as you disassociate the phone with your account first. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 8, 2012

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LiquidRain posted:

And yes - you can indeed sell your phone when you're done with it to a Verizon or Sprint customer, as long as you disassociate the phone with your account first. :)

How is that possible? Sprint owns Virgin mobile and doesn't even allow their phones. Sprint and Verizon have never allowed each others phones. I realize you work for the company, but I think you're misinformed.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

ddogflex posted:

How is that possible? Sprint owns Virgin mobile and doesn't even allow their phones. Sprint and Verizon have never allowed each others phones. I realize you work for the company, but I think you're misinformed.
Thanks for the correction - I digged a bit and I'll definitely assume it's not a phone you can take to Verizon now. I was under a different impression earlier and I apologize for that, it sounded clear cut but when I started prodding I got some vague language almost immediately. :) I'll say officially that you can definitely sell to a Sprint customer, but it's not saleable to a Verizon customer.

We have had customers take their Ting devices back onto Sprint. The official line from Sprint may be "no you can't do that" but I guarantee you, you call them, tell them you have an unlocked Sprint CDMA device, they'll take you. We've had many documented instances of this happening when a customer was not happy with Ting. The other way around is what's forbidden - you can't bring a device from Sprint onto Ting.

As for details on the Verizon bit, yeah, sorry again. :( It seems like everyone here's confused including the guy I talked to. LTE is definitely incompatible - Sprint LTE is 1900MHz, Verizon is 800MHz. The Sprint model is different from the VZW model. (SPH-L710 for Sprint, SGH-I535 for VZW) I know the CDMA revisions are different for their old networks, we're very aware of that whole history. We've been told/led to believe that the radios on the SGS3 models we have are actually compatible with both Verizon and Sprint's CDMA networks, but we don't have the tests to back that up in the real world. And who knows how many people's mouths those words passed through in order to get distorted into something people wanted to believe. (and whether or not Verizon would let you on their network with that phone is not something we can really say for certain, either) So yeah, count Verizon out especially considering their history, and sorry about that. :shobon:

edit: I'm spreading word about this throughout Ting so this mistake won't be made again.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 8, 2012

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I've run out of minutes on my the T-Mobile $30/mo. 100min/unlimited/unlimited plan. Is there a way to add more minutes without paying the full 30 a week before the end of the billing cycle?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tommy Wiseau posted:

I've run out of minutes on my the T-Mobile $30/mo. 100min/unlimited/unlimited plan. Is there a way to add more minutes without paying the full 30 a week before the end of the billing cycle?

Just put more money in your account and it'll charge $0.10/minute from that balance.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Arcsech posted:

Just put more money in your account and it'll charge $0.10/minute from that balance.

Sweet sweet sweet. As long as I don't talk another 250 minutes, I'm still under what I was paying for Verizon.

When they throttle my data after 5 gig, how slow will it go?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tommy Wiseau posted:

When they throttle my data after 5 gig, how slow will it go?

It'll run at Edge speeds, which is pretty loving slow but still enough to pull up emails and small stuff.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

It'll run at Edge speeds, which is pretty loving slow but still enough to pull up emails and small stuff.

Does T-Mo count data in a different way than Verizon? I was using 3.5 gig/mo. tops while w/ verizon, yet I've used 4.2 gig w/ T-Mo in just 3 weeks. I can't imagine how my data use has changed that much, maybe downloading my apps from Play Store, but would 100 apps really add up to 1 gig? :iiam:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So, pardon me if this has been asked, but my local T-mobile is useless.
1) Get a unlocked Galaxy-S (From Amazon or eBay or somewhere cheap)
2) buy a activation kit
3) Get the $30 a month plan
4) Have smartphone
Will this work, or is there something I'm overlooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

T-man posted:

So, pardon me if this has been asked, but my local T-mobile is useless.
1) Get a unlocked Galaxy-S (From Amazon or eBay or somewhere cheap)
2) buy a activation kit
3) Get the $30 a month plan
4) Have smartphone
Will this work, or is there something I'm overlooking?

That's it. If you are already a T-Mo customer you might have to port your number out and back in since it's for new activations only

• Locked thread