Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Luceo posted:

I'm about to buy a non-retina MBP, and earlier the thread recommended a Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 SSD to replace the spinny disk which goes in the OptiBay. After researching this, I see the Samsung is faster, but is it really $100-$150 faster? Would I actually notice the difference between these two drives? Is one more reliable?
You wouldn't notice the difference, while Samsung has been one of the most reliable drives. M4 has had a few bugs but they've all been fixed, it should be fine.

I guess with 512GB drives (assuming that's what you're looking at based on prices) there's more potential for crap to go wrong just cause there's more flash, so check user reviews to see if there's any common signs of trouble...not that I expect a huge number of reviews for 512GB SSDs just cause the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Both are among the best. Just get whichever is cheaper at the moment.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Yes, I'm looking at the 512GB drives since I need room for a decent sized Windows partition. Looks like the Crucial wins by virtue of price!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have that very Crucial and no complaints after a month so go for it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

carry on then posted:

I have that very Crucial and no complaints after a month so go for it.

I pulled the trigger on the Crucial SSD, an OptiBay, and a new Macbook Pro non-Retina (Matte hi-res). Replacing a mid-2010 iMac. What's the best way to sell this iMac? I saw fulfillment by Amazon mentioned a few pages ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Could always give Craigslist a shot too. If it's a 27", the 2010 and 2009 are still in decent demand because they make fantastic DisplayPort monitors that just happen to have computers built into them.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
2012 13" Pro w/a 128GB SSD + $320 cash for a 2012 15" Pro base model. Fair trade?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It seems like a decent deal to me right now, though you might be kicking yourself around October (estimate) when the 2012 MBPs show up on the refurb store. The base 15" model will most likely be ~$1359.

Of course this is all speculation, and 2012 refurbs showing up also sinks your model's resale value too. I suppose a straight swap 2012->2012 is fine to do now.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Could always give Craigslist a shot too. If it's a 27", the 2010 and 2009 are still in decent demand because they make fantastic DisplayPort monitors that just happen to have computers built into them.

It is a 27". I tend to sell my Macs every two years for a new one while they still have AppleCare. Last time though, I didn't get as much as I wanted on Craiglist.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Currently regretting not ponying up for a bigger SSD in my MBPr. The biggest I could make my boot camp partition according to the wizard was 60 GB :(

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

Currently regretting not ponying up for a bigger SSD in my MBPr. The biggest I could make my boot camp partition according to the wizard was 60 GB :(

At least it will be upgradeable eventually.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Are you the guy who wanted a minimal OS X partition and as much as possible for Windows? You can resize it after in Disk Utility, preferably before installing Windows.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
I have a 2010 MBA maxed out (4gb ram, 2.1ghz). I use it as my primary computer; my page outs tend to be upwards of 6 gigs on a regular basis. I tend to have a lot of stuff running at once (tabs, pdfs, occasional adobe stuff)
I want more ram, and a new processor couldn't hurt either.

The form factor of the Air has been great - but I wouldn't mind the bigger/nicer screen of a retina and processing power.

Trying to decide: rMBP vs Macbook Pro 15 vs Macbook Air 13

The other option is to wait; I feel like I just bought this thing and don't want to upgrade unless it's significant.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
My work machine has a 500GB apple SSD, but my personal machine has the factory 500GB 5400RPM drive :(

~Coxy posted:

Are you the guy who wanted a minimal OS X partition and as much as possible for Windows? You can resize it after in Disk Utility, preferably before installing Windows.

Linux live CDs are surprisingly good at this too actually.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Peven Stan posted:

The worst part is that if you upgrade, the only people you could feasibly sell your old SSD to are other rMBP owners or maybe MBA owners. I suppose the one piece of good news is that SSD prices are dropping a bunch so maybe we'll be able to get 512GB Apple SSDs for $500 next year. At the time I ordered upgrading the SSD to 512GB was ridiculouso expensive for what it is... and now they're offering the upgrade without the CPU bump.

Right now I'm using an external USB enclosure with the 240GB SSD I had in my previous MBP so I can deal alright with my Windows VMs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gently caress it, I don't wanna wait for refurbs

TIM PROCESS THE MACBOOK

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

The worst part is that if you upgrade, the only people you could feasibly sell your old SSD to are other rMBP owners or maybe MBA owners. I suppose the one piece of good news is that SSD prices are dropping a bunch so maybe we'll be able to get 512GB Apple SSDs for $500 next year. At the time I ordered upgrading the SSD to 512GB was ridiculouso expensive for what it is... and now they're offering the upgrade without the CPU bump.

Right now I'm using an external USB enclosure with the 240GB SSD I had in my previous MBP so I can deal alright with my Windows VMs.

I'm hoping that dropping SSD prices will mean that next year's Retina MBPs will much more affordable, because my 2009 iMac is going out of Applecare in April of 2013 and I really just want to replace it with a rMBP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

echobucket posted:

I'm hoping that dropping SSD prices will mean that next year's Retina MBPs will much more affordable, because my 2009 iMac is going out of Applecare in April of 2013 and I really just want to replace it with a rMBP.

Do the BTO options ever get cheaper? They still want $150 to upgrade the base mini to 8GB of RAM

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

OWC made an enclosure for the MBA ones before, I imagine they'll do the same for the MBP ones once they start doing upgrades there.

Bob Morales posted:

Do the BTO options ever get cheaper? They still want $150 to upgrade the base mini to 8GB of RAM
They adjust prices and/or tweak the options now and then, but it's maybe once or twice during the lifetime of a model.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New Mac Mini server to augment our existing Mini file server. This one is going to run Filemaker, and only Filemaker. It's so cute.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Well, my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro isn't quite doing it for me anymore and could use a replacement.

I need something for writing LaTeX documents and processing 15MP RAW photos in Adobe Lightroom, but nothing more demanding than that (e.g., gaming). Would an 11" MacBook Air be enough?

The 13" model would be great, but it's a bit pricey. The added 1440x900 resolution and SD card slot is making be indecisive, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I have the i7 13" Air, and Aperture is ridiculously fast, and all of my photos are RAW's from my T2i.

If the available screen space on your 13" MBP is enough for you, the 11" will show you the same amount of stuff, just smaller. The extra res on the 13" MBA makes the effective space the same as the normal 15" MBP though, which is really nice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Ivy Bridge MBA gets ridiculously loud when i play Diablo 3. Jesus I don't think I've ever heard any fan go so fast.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Mu Zeta posted:

My Ivy Bridge MBA gets ridiculously loud when i play Diablo 3. Jesus I don't think I've ever heard any fan go so fast.

The Ivy Bridge models do get pretty loud. The form factor of the MBA definitely has its drawbacks when it comes to heat, but hey... no device is perfect, right? I've noticed that most of the MacBooks have some pretty ridiculous heat problems.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

isomerc posted:

I've noticed that most of the MacBooks have some pretty ridiculous heat problems.
Define "ridiculous heat problems" for me, because I've never seen modern (aluminum unibody) Mac laptops have to resort to throttling or worse completely shutting down because thermal limits being reached. Yes, they get loud and the bodies can get warm (they're basically giant aluminum heatsinks) but the alternative is far more disruptive and has affected consumer laptops from the likes of Dell and HP for years.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define "ridiculous heat problems" for me, because I've never seen modern (aluminum unibody) Mac laptops have to resort to throttling or worse completely shutting down because thermal limits being reached. Yes, they get loud and the bodies can get warm (they're basically giant aluminum heatsinks) but the alternative is far more disruptive and has affected consumer laptops from the likes of Dell and HP for years.

The most common cause of failure for MB logic boards is heat. I repair Macs for a living, and I can't tell you how many DOA MacBooks have come in due to overheating. Sure, the body definitely helps with the heat, but check out the temperature inside your device. It'll blow your mind. The board and CPU can take it, but they really take their toll on the hardware over time. I've seen this countless times.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

isomerc posted:

The most common cause of failure for MB logic boards is heat. I repair Macs for a living, and I can't tell you how many DOA MacBooks have come in due to overheating. Sure, the body definitely helps with the heat, but check out the temperature inside your device. It'll blow your mind. The board and CPU can take it, but they really take their toll on the hardware over time. I've seen this countless times.

What sort of condition is typical for what arrives. Roughly a ratio of clean-ish internals versus the clogged vents and full of mice laptops.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

isomerc posted:

The Ivy Bridge models do get pretty loud. The form factor of the MBA definitely has its drawbacks when it comes to heat, but hey... no device is perfect, right? I've noticed that most of the MacBooks have some pretty ridiculous heat problems.

It's still a really impressive machine though when I'm just browsing or watching a few videos. I currently use it hooked up to a 24" monitor in closed-lid mode and it is absolutely silent. I cannot hear it at all even if I put my ear right on it. And despite the loud fan it's nice to know that it can pump out some power if I ever need it. So far i'm loving the 13" MBA. I only have the 128gig SSD so I'm using a 32gig SD card to store iTunes stuff as well as a 64gig USB 3 flash drive for extra room.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Devian666 posted:

What sort of condition is typical for what arrives. Roughly a ratio of clean-ish internals versus the clogged vents and full of mice laptops.

In my anecdotal experience, it's mostly dust and dander, usually collected around the fan exhaust or on the fan blades themselves, and in a thin layer over most of the logic board.

In no particular order, I've also found: cake/cookie crumbs, dried coffee/liquors, pet hair, people hair, sand, small pebbles, and in one case ants.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I posted this in Games, but didn't get a response, so I'd thought I would try here. I have a 2009 Mac with a Geforce 9400 card. I bought Fallout: New Vegas a while back and played it a little using Wine and it worked ok, although it was rather slow. I recently put a Windows partition on my computer and thought I would try playing it on that instead. However, whenever I start it up it says "Failed to initialize renderer." I googled it and found that usually meant the graphics card wasn't good enough to run it. But it worked when I ran it on the Mac partition, so shouldn't it work for the Windows one as well? The minimum requirement to run the game is a Geforce 6 series card, so wouldn't mine qualify? I'm just wondering if this is a problem with the card or the game itself or whatever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I posted this in Games, but didn't get a response, so I'd thought I would try here. I have a 2009 Mac with a Geforce 9400 card. I bought Fallout: New Vegas a while back and played it a little using Wine and it worked ok, although it was rather slow. I recently put a Windows partition on my computer and thought I would try playing it on that instead. However, whenever I start it up it says "Failed to initialize renderer." I googled it and found that usually meant the graphics card wasn't good enough to run it. But it worked when I ran it on the Mac partition, so shouldn't it work for the Windows one as well? The minimum requirement to run the game is a Geforce 6 series card, so wouldn't mine qualify? I'm just wondering if this is a problem with the card or the game itself or whatever.

Have you tried updating the Windows graphics drivers outside of Boot Camp updates?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone heard any rumblings about new Mac Minis? I really really want one (preferably with an SSD)... but the current offerings are embarrassing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Anyone heard any rumblings about new Mac Minis? I really really want one (preferably with an SSD)... but the current offerings are embarrassing.
Not really. Sounds like the new iPhone will be coming September, so Macs could be this month or October perhaps.

Or next year :negative:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I suppose that the driver situation for bootcamp is still the same as it was a year ago? Graphics switching still doesn't work and neither does Native Command Queuing for the HDD?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I want a wireless backup solution for my Mac. Is it better to go with a Time Capsule, an AirPort Extreme + external, or some third party solution?

I remember the Time Capsule hard drive had a reputation for failing, but that was a few years ago.

An AE + external is upgradable and will save me some money, but might be a hassle.

I'm only idly considering third party stuff. I like Apple's hardware integration, but I could be convinced otherwise if there was a good solution.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012
I was wondering if anyone here has heard about using iTunes Connect VIP store for a discount. Ive seen one of my friends make a free iBooks publishing account and in about a months time he was given access to the VIP store in which he got ~20% off of items. (Including his new Retina Pro)

So my question is, has anyone heard or have done this method before?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Are there MBPs available with retina that dont feature loving soldered in ram or glued in batteries?

I really would like a retina display but after being hosed by apple before on warranty, I refuse to buy something I cant pull apart and repair myself (or take to my father who's an electrical engineer freak of nature who in his 60s is still unwiring surface mount poo poo like its no thing)

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

duck monster posted:

Are there MBPs available with retina that dont feature loving soldered in ram or glued in batteries?

I really would like a retina display but after being hosed by apple before on warranty, I refuse to buy something I cant pull apart and repair myself (or take to my father who's an electrical engineer freak of nature who in his 60s is still unwiring surface mount poo poo like its no thing)

All the ram is soldered in, and the batteries are glued. I read that iFixit said it will cost ~500$ to replace the batteries. Short answers: no, its all stuck in there. Have to pony up for Apple care, but even then, when your batteries are towards the end of their life Apple won't replace them for free.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

duck monster posted:

Nope :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I remember the Time Capsule hard drive had a reputation for failing, but that was a few years ago.

I'd get it over another solution for its absolute mindless setup. Mine's been rock solid.
It's not my only backup solution, but I do use it way more as it catches all of the one-off cruft from months back I'm interested in.