Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Stare-Out posted:

So new things I've noticed in Chrome 21 are... A new star icon for adding a page to your favorites and the default "globe" favicon is now a blank page. And that's it.

Oh well, at least hardware accelerated Flash seems to work somewhat now. Until it breaks again.

This right here blew my mind, I thought all favicons were broken and started researching it. This blank icon bothers me for some reason. I nuked my profile too in the hopes that was part of the issue. Ugh. I couldn't find any documentation on it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ILikeVoltron posted:

This right here blew my mind, I thought all favicons were broken and started researching it. This blank icon bothers me for some reason. I nuked my profile too in the hopes that was part of the issue. Ugh. I couldn't find any documentation on it either.
From what I understand, it the decision was made to move the FAVICON from the address bar to the tab because websites were changing their icon to be a padlock icon, giving users a false sense of security.

I don't much care for the white page icon, but I can understand their reasoning.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there a good AIM compatible extension ala Google Talk? I looked in the store and saw IMO but I want an extension that stays hidden when I'm not using it, and not a fullscreen web app running in a tab.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Is there a good AIM compatible extension ala Google Talk? I looked in the store and saw IMO but I want an extension that stays hidden when I'm not using it, and not a fullscreen web app running in a tab.

Can't you add AIM buddies to your GTalk list now?

Of course if you want your messages to come from an AIM name that's something different entirely.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Can't you add AIM buddies to your GTalk list now?

Of course if you want your messages to come from an AIM name that's something different entirely.

You can and I found this nice extension by Google for chat:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chat-for-google/nckgahadagoaajjgafhacjanaoiihapd

I like it better than running a separate program or using Google plus chat

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I think you can just drag CRXs or Greasemonkey Scripts into the extensions page to install them.

That worked; thank you!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Chrome has stopped remembering my tab session on OS X Mountain Lion. Maybe I'm screwing something up as an OS X novice, but I haven't made any changes to the settings, and it synchronized those from my other computer already.

Is this a known thing?

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Don't know if it's a known thing or not, but tab syncing between machines and mobile devices has never worked for me on my Mac.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Civil Twilight posted:

Don't know if it's a known thing or not, but tab syncing between machines and mobile devices has never worked for me on my Mac.

It worked for me on a Lion VM between that, iPhone, and Touchpad running ICS. Havent tested in the last week or so though, since i have less reason to use the VM atm.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
So for some reason Chrome (stable) now won't play flash full screen on one screen when I'm working on another. It worked yesterday. Did some new flash version break this?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

mmm11105 posted:

So for some reason Chrome (stable) now won't play flash full screen on one screen when I'm working on another. It worked yesterday. Did some new flash version break this?
Is your sound muted? For some insane reason, full screen on multiple monitors breaks if your sound is muted or if there are no available audio devices when you start playing Flash.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

datajosh posted:

Is your sound muted? For some insane reason, full screen on multiple monitors breaks if your sound is muted or if there are no available audio devices when you start playing Flash.

Nope, audio works fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I recently changed over to Chrome from Firefox as my primary browser. One of the reasons I moved over was that I heard how efficient and bug free Chrome is. However in the week or so that I have been using Chrome I have had more enormous memory leaks than I would have had in 3 months with Firefox. I'm talking my computer grinding to a halt, me opening task manager and finding Chrome trying to eat ALL of my memory! :argh:

I have to use IE8 at work and Chrome reminding me of IE8 is NOT a good thing.

What is up with this? Was I mislead with Chrome > Firefox? Am I doing something wrong?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Installing plenty of poor extensions it would seem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red_Fred posted:

I recently changed over to Chrome from Firefox as my primary browser. One of the reasons I moved over was that I heard how efficient and bug free Chrome is. However in the week or so that I have been using Chrome I have had more enormous memory leaks than I would have had in 3 months with Firefox. I'm talking my computer grinding to a halt, me opening task manager and finding Chrome trying to eat ALL of my memory! :argh:

I have to use IE8 at work and Chrome reminding me of IE8 is NOT a good thing.

What is up with this? Was I mislead with Chrome > Firefox? Am I doing something wrong?

How do you know it has a memory leak? Chrome takes a lot of memory by the nature of its design.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

How do you know it has a memory leak? Chrome takes a lot of memory by the nature of its design.

On a similar note, how much RAM is in your system?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MrMoo posted:

Installing plenty of poor extensions it would seem.

The only extensions I have are Ad Block Plus (Beta), Chrome to Phone, IE tab, Reload All Tabs, SALAR and SA Webkit fix.

Thermopyle posted:

Well currently I have 6 app tabs and 8 normal tabs open and it's using 17 processes from 23Mb to 135Mb. This is just over 50% of my memory. However when it goes crazy one process can be over 400Mb and can start using more and more CPU usage. I don't know if that is a memory leak as such but it doesn't seem like normal behaviour.

unpronounceable posted:

On a similar note, how much RAM is in your system?

4 Gb.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red_Fred posted:

Well currently I have 6 app tabs and 8 normal tabs open and it's using 17 processes from 23Mb to 135Mb. This is just over 50% of my memory.

Sounds normal to me.

Red_Fred posted:

However when it goes crazy one process can be over 400Mb and can start using more and more CPU usage. I don't know if that is a memory leak as such but it doesn't seem like normal behaviour.

Open up the Chrome task manager to see whats going on. (Shift-Esc)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Sounds normal to me.

Open up the Chrome task manager to see whats going on. (Shift-Esc)

Ah that's really handy. I'll try that next time it happens and post back. Thanks! :tipshat:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm getting a weird bug with flash player. If I try to fullscreen it on my second monitor it warps to my first monitor. This doesn't happen in other browsers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I am getting a little nuts about managing all my opt-out and filter extensions. These are my Google opt-out links alone:

* Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on
* IBA Opt-out
* Keep My Opt-Outs

Which is not to mention the Do Not Track extensions that modify my header information. And Ghostery. And whatever else.

There has to be a major amount of overlap here. Which should I be able to uninstall without losing any opt-outs and content-blocking?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Kild posted:

I'm getting a weird bug with flash player. If I try to fullscreen it on my second monitor it warps to my first monitor. This doesn't happen in other browsers.

I was having this too - you need to disable the built in version of Flash. Go to chrome://plugins, expand details and disable "pepflashplayer.dll" under Flash. You'll also need to install the standalone version of Flash for non-IE browsers if you don't have it installed already.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well it happened again (as above). I hit shift-esc and low and behold SA was using 350Mb and counting when all I had open was my user control panel as an app tab. That's not right is it?

EDIT: A minute or so later it's at 450Mb, where it seems to be staying.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 5, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

datajosh posted:

I was having this too - you need to disable the built in version of Flash. Go to chrome://plugins, expand details and disable "pepflashplayer.dll" under Flash. You'll also need to install the standalone version of Flash for non-IE browsers if you don't have it installed already.

Thank you very much, I was having the same problem and this fixed it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After a week of wondering why flash videos wouldn't stay fullscreen when focus changes to a different window, after tracking down archived versions of flash player because I default to assuming it's the culprit, after wondering why old versions of Chrome installers wouldn't run (apparently you have to uninstall/reinstall), and after testing a bunch of different versions of Chrome, I finally figured out that versions of Chrome newer than 21.0.1180.55 break the fullscreen persistence.

The thing is, 1180.57 was released the same day as 1180.55, and that was on July 26. How the hell hasn't this been fixed yet?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

The thing is, 1180.57 was released the same day as 1180.55, and that was on July 26. How the hell hasn't this been fixed yet?

This is how Google works. As Android users about it.

RubyX
Apr 10, 2010
Fallen Rib
In addition to that fullscreen problem, I now get tearing in all videos. It's like vsync is missing or something.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Anyone else having problems with Change.org on the beta channel? It was working fine a couple of weeks ago but now I get this message anytime I try to sign a petition:

quote:

You seem to have had an issue loading this page or you have javascript disabled, which may cause problems while using Change.org. To avoid any further inconvenience, please enable javascript in your browser and refresh this page.

JavaScript is definitely enabled and the error persists in Incognito Mode so I don't know what's going on.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there anytthing to do about the fact that Angry Birds consistently maxes out my CPU on OS X?

Is it just general Mac Flash suckiness?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Two Chrome questions:

1. Is there a better way to deal with the bookmarks than the one built in? Moving bookmarks around does not seem to work.

2. Status Bar? (This seems like something that should be in the first post since I bet it comes up al the time, but how to make Chrome have a status bar?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Say, what is the security situation for saved passwords and stuff on Chrome? I don't use it right now, I use a password vault program, but I really have no idea if it is more secure in any practical sense.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is there an extension I can use to force HD videos to load by default on Youtube? One that would keep videos from autoplaying would be nice too.

Cide
Sep 27, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

Is there an extension I can use to force HD videos to load by default on Youtube? One that would keep videos from autoplaying would be nice too.

YousableTubeFix does both of those thangs.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Cide posted:

Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cide posted:

I hate to ask this, but how do I install it? Chrome tells me to only download extension from the Chrome store.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I hate to ask this, but how do I install it? Chrome tells me to only download extension from the Chrome store.

Download the file, go to your extensions page (tools > extensions) and drag and drop the file into it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

the kawaiiest posted:

Download the file, go to your extensions page (tools > extensions) and drag and drop the file into it.

:aaa: I did not know you could do that. Thank you.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!
There's a fix in the latest beta for that fullscreen Flash issue on a secondary monitor.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.ie/2012/08/beta-channel-update.html

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Say, what is the security situation for saved passwords and stuff on Chrome? I don't use it right now, I use a password vault program, but I really have no idea if it is more secure in any practical sense.

I would imagine pretty secure, since you can encrypt all the sync data and even better use Google authenticator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Samurai Sanders posted:

On linux it uses kwallet or gnome-keyring where it can by default since version 14 or so. That means locally saved passwords are encrypted in a separate storage. No idea what it does on other systems.