Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Eponine posted:

From what I heard at work, the Cruze diesel has been in production, currently sitting in a lot near Lansing (unsure of the veracity of that part) and is going out soon. They were hoping gas would hit $5/gal this summer so they could release it when diesel's cheaper.

From what I know about the dealers' diesel abilities for Duramax engines and discerning client taste*, it's going to be a shitshow, STAY TUNED.

*When I first started this job, I worked on a claim for a buyback where the dealership had replaced a Duramax on a brand-new truck because "it had an engine tick."

Dont know what the US cruze looks like, but the Aus Cruze thats built here in Adelaide has a 2.0L 4 pot CRD diesel engine thats pretty drat good.

I think they are building LHD versions for people who drive on the wrong side of the road in export markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Splizwarf posted:

Half of US service stations? Where are the ones that don't sell diesel? :psyduck:

I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't. Are they talking about little hole-in-the-wall places in the backwoods, or are there diesel-dry areas in the US?

Most service stations in northern and western Maine are small stations. The kind where you go inside to pay, and after hours you're hosed if you run out. And most of them do not have diesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

Most service stations in northern and western Maine are small stations. The kind where you go inside to pay, and after hours you're hosed if you run out. And most of them do not have diesel.

Having driven across the United States multiple times, I can assure you its easy to find diesel, and its not like the stations have to be close together, your fuel efficiency is much higher, you won't even really have to worry much.

Think of it this way: Your 2-3 gallon reserve is going to be at least 100-150 miles.

Eponine posted:

*When I first started this job, I worked on a claim for a buyback where the dealership had replaced a Duramax on a brand-new truck because "it had an engine tick."

How the hell could they tell it had a tick? Its a diesel for goodness sake.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 8, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

How the hell could they tell it had a tick? Its a diesel for goodness sake.
:thejoke:

They thought that was engine tick. The normal diesel noise.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Splizwarf posted:

Half of US service stations? Where are the ones that don't sell diesel? :psyduck:

Driving through sections of Illinois/Indiana a few times and running low I managed for find no less than six exits in a row with gas stations and no diesel. Some spots are better than others. I still love my diesel.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ferremit posted:

Dont know what the US cruze looks like, but the Aus Cruze thats built here in Adelaide has a 2.0L 4 pot CRD diesel engine thats pretty drat good.

I think they are building LHD versions for people who drive on the wrong side of the road in export markets.

All the US made Cruzes are for the US market. Cruzes in most other markets(other than China or Aus) are made in Korea.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

InitialDave posted:

:thejoke:

They thought that was engine tick. The normal diesel noise.

Yep. Apparently the story was that they test drove the gas Silverado HD, but were advised to get a diesel for mileage/torque etc. They bought the (what, $60,000?) Duramax 3500 and weren't happy with the "engine noise" so they got a brand new engine, at which point they asked for another one. According to the service manager, "a quieter one."

The customer is always right loving stupid.

Ferremit posted:

Pretty much looks the same. I haven't heard what the displacement on the engine is for the US version. I'll be out of this job before we get work orders on them, unfortunately. I'll ask for updates because I know all the dudes that work on the technical assistance diesel engines lines and they always have great stories.

I always have great mechanical failure stories but very rarely pictures. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

I prefer manual as well, but seems like a lot of Jeep guys like the auto for some reason.

Transmission durability and not having to deal with a clutch.
Also gate shifters are loving cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Transmission durability

I'm sorry what?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Umm, diesel doesn't contain that much more energy per volume than gasoline that you suddenly get 50-75mpg.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Umm, diesel doesn't contain that much more energy per volume than gasoline that you suddenly get 50-75mpg.

No way, VW diesels get amazing mileage on the highway!

Edit: oops that first one isn't a diesel!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Transmission durability and not having to deal with a clutch.

I'm not so sure about the durability thing, but not having to deal with a clutch and the torque multiplication benefits of a torque converter paired with the better stop-to-craw control of an automatic is beginning to make me think all those people who prefer autoboxes for off road aren't as crazy as I thought they were.

At this point I think either is a valid choice and each has their strength and weaknesses depending on what situation(s) you are in.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

I'm sorry what?
Residual fallout from the old Peugeot BA-10/5 vs. AW4 days?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A highschool friend posted his new car on facebook the other day

And yes it's turbo/awd.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That is awesome as gently caress but I don't know about no c-pillars.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

Terrible design failure (which lead to catastrophic failures, recalls, and extended warranties from ford):

Here are all of the parts that comprise the timing chain system in the 4.0 sohc v6. Oh by the way one of those chains is on the back of the engine against the firewall. Seems reasonable to me!

Don't worry, Navistar hired all the failures from Ford to make trucks for them in chicago. Now truck engines across the american continent are caked in plastic poo poo.

Truck FAIL

Even Forbes agrees you suck:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu...ufacturer/?ta=1

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ferremit posted:

At the moment, our only options in the Cruze are a 1.8 N/A in the base model, and a 1.4 turbo in the others (with the 1.4 having an extra ~20 hp).

I had a rental 1.4 awhile back, I was a bit surprised at the power. More surprised when I opened the hood and saw that tiny little engine.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Motronic posted:

I'm not so sure about the durability thing, but not having to deal with a clutch and the torque multiplication benefits of a torque converter paired with the better stop-to-craw control of an automatic is beginning to make me think all those people who prefer autoboxes for off road aren't as crazy as I thought they were.

At this point I think either is a valid choice and each has their strength and weaknesses depending on what situation(s) you are in.

A planetary gearset arrangement is structurally more efficient than twin shaft.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

3 of those cars are actually fun to drive.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What happens to even a Chrysler slant 6 if you don't change the oil regularly...

#5 connecting rod journal. Motor did have a rod knock.

HAMMER TIME

The bottom two are #5 rod. Bearing shell at top for comparison

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I get 52-56 on the highway. And I actually have passing power

Not to mention: You know the world record holder for fuel mileage from a mass produced car is held by a TDI right?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/hypermiling-taylors-set-fuel-economy-record-in-volkswagen-passat-tdi/

MonkeyHate posted:

Residual fallout from the old Peugeot BA-10/5 vs. AW4 days?

Yes. And others. I think it was Kia that was going through automatics so fast they just piled up all the bad ones in a corner as they were replaced.

Those do not look maintenance friendly.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 8, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I, too, measure my fuel economy in paid publicity stunts instead of government controlled and mandated testing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I, too, measure my fuel economy in paid publicity stunts instead of government controlled and mandated testing.

Doesn't help that he is comparing all the Automatics. Manual does better.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A highschool friend posted his new car on facebook the other day

And yes it's turbo/awd.

Not a mechanical failure?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well i DID have plans to finally get my HF radio mounted up in the cruiser today, but it wasnt to be.

Mum n dads cursed 95 series TD prado has struck again. Recently it was being a pain to start, wouldnt start on all 4 cylinders, blew a big cloud of white smoke on startup and was generally behaving as if it had a dead glowplug.

And dad mentioned it had started using coolant- bout 2-3 months ago the thermostat went sticky and mum overheated it on a hill.

Was in the process of checking these today, and pulled em all to check their resistance. Thought while they were out i'd blow the carbon out of the holes before refitting.

Cranked the motor over and blew a geyser of coolant out of #4 :psyduck:

Few hours later...

This doesnt look like a HF install?

Definately has had coolant in #4

#3 precombustion chamber

#4 precombustion chamber

#3 Cylinder

#4 Cylinder

Sonofabitch.... EVERY combustion chamber has cracks in it, but the #3 is the worst. Certainly explains where the coolant was going, and also explains why its a pain in the arse to start.

Exchange head with a new casting is $1400... This cars rapidly decending to the status of "Trade in"...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is already running a marketing campaign to "educate consumers" about the benefit of diesels.

So either they are actually going to start selling a diesel Chevy at some point, or GM just likes blowing your tax dollars on free advertising for VW.

Perhaps they should concentrate on an engine which isn't rattly and horrible (like the diesel Cruze) before spending money on that type of advertising.

As for the VWs I still don't see the point of the diesel models - the TSIs are much nicer to drive and only marginally less fuel efficient (offset by cheaper purchase prices)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

Not a mechanical failure?

Not until you roll it, that is.

Though I suppose that's really more of a "structural failure."

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 8, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motronic posted:

Near me (between Philly and NYC) it's significantly less than half. There's still no problem finding diesel, but most fuel stations that aren't on larger roads don't have it.

The same with around Pittsburgh. I actually can't even think of a station near me that sells diesel. I know for sure that it's none on my normal routes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Perhaps they should concentrate on an engine which isn't rattly and horrible (like the diesel Cruze) before spending money on that type of advertising.

As for the VWs I still don't see the point of the diesel models - the TSIs are much nicer to drive and only marginally less fuel efficient (offset by cheaper purchase prices)

Why the hate? I'm going to assume you actually haven't driven a new diesel because they don't really rattle anymore thanks to pilot injections and generally tend to outlast their gas brethren.

Ferremit posted:

Well i DID have plans to finally get my HF radio mounted up in the cruiser today, but it wasnt to be.

Mum n dads cursed 95 series TD prado has struck again. Recently it was being a pain to start, wouldnt start on all 4 cylinders, blew a big cloud of white smoke on startup and was generally behaving as if it had a dead glowplug.

And dad mentioned it had started using coolant- bout 2-3 months ago the thermostat went sticky and mum overheated it on a hill.

Was in the process of checking these today, and pulled em all to check their resistance. Thought while they were out i'd blow the carbon out of the holes before refitting.

Cranked the motor over and blew a geyser of coolant out of #4 :psyduck:

Few hours later...

This doesnt look like a HF install?

Definately has had coolant in #4

#3 precombustion chamber

#4 precombustion chamber

#3 Cylinder

#4 Cylinder

Sonofabitch.... EVERY combustion chamber has cracks in it, but the #3 is the worst. Certainly explains where the coolant was going, and also explains why its a pain in the arse to start.

Exchange head with a new casting is $1400... This cars rapidly decending to the status of "Trade in"...

The cracks in between the valves should be okay, its pretty common for those to form, every VW head I've ever pulled has them. You should be able to get a replacement chamber pretty easy, it looks really similar to the VW ones.

Do you have a picture of the headgasket?

The thing about these cracks is generally they are not very deep and don't affect the valve seating or head performance. VW issued specifications for their diesels saying the cracks should be no more than a fingernails width. They don't tend to penetrate the water jacket, and I've never had one do so.

The combustion chamber shouldn't even touch the water jacket, unless your design is vastly different.

None of those cracks look like they could have penetrated the water jacket. The chamber is a separate piece from the head and is replaceable. I think he just blew the headgasket and the coolant seeped in from a leaky gasket.

Take a metal rod and stick it through the injector hole and use a mallet to punch out the chamber, check for cracks behind it, and if it isn't cracked, replace the chamber and call it good.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 8, 2012

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

yeah, thats the problem, when it sat still for a while after it was at operating temp, it would put enough into the cylinder that it still turned over, but wouldnt start until the others fired and spun it up to boil the coolant off (in a massive cloud of white smoke!)

Im going to get it crack tested and see if the cracks have penetrated into the coolant gallerys.

Toyota are apparently at revision #4 or so of this head to thicken them up around the chambers to try and stop them cracking there.

didnt get a photo of the gasket itself, but theres no OBVIOUS failures, althogh you can see an area on the head below #4 intake valve where theres absolutely NO black crap from the head gasket between the cylinder area and the water jacket hole, and theres also no black crap on the gasket in this point too, so that could be where its weeping from too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

yeah, thats the problem, when it sat still for a while after it was at operating temp, it would put enough into the cylinder that it still turned over, but wouldnt start until the others fired and spun it up to boil the coolant off (in a massive cloud of white smoke!)

Im going to get it crack tested and see if the cracks have penetrated into the coolant gallerys.

Toyota are apparently at revision #4 or so of this head to thicken them up around the chambers to try and stop them cracking there.

didnt get a photo of the gasket itself, but theres no OBVIOUS failures, althogh you can see an area on the head below #4 intake valve where theres absolutely NO black crap from the head gasket between the cylinder area and the water jacket hole, and theres also no black crap on the gasket in this point too, so that could be where its weeping from too.

Yeah, it is pretty common for diesels of this sort to just lift themselves off the gasket enough for coolant to fill the cylinder, and then you get that wonderful steam out the back. The best ones are where the coolant flow is just blowing pressurized coolant into the cylinder.

Most of these cracks are due to design flaws where they used lighter materials to save money and make the engine lighter, cracking is just kind of a gimme for these engines.

Hopefully you can just pop in a new chamber and that'll take care of those cracks.

What size are the headbolts? I wonder if you could use the ARP kit for VW diesels as the headbolt setup on this engine is exactly the same style as the VW 1.6l/1.9l/2.0l TD

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 8, 2012

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bout an M10x1.25 from memory- 14mm socket heads so that figures out about right.

Not all the head bolts were the same "Tightness" when released either, and it didnt matter whether they were inside the rocker or out in the open, so it could be a few have slightly weakened over the last 12yrs of heat/cool cycling, they are torque to yield bolts too.

We will see what the engine shop says tomorrow when they heat the head and pressure test the cracks to see if they go into the gallerys.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dissss posted:

But the TDI is so torque-y and fun to drive...

Yet you are right that the TSI engines are pretty amazing. I'm glad they have reportedly made the decision to replace the 2.5l base engine for the Jetta and Passat with the 1.8 TSI. I do wonder how long it will be before someone tries to disable the supercharger clutch or tries to modify the exhaust manifold to cram in their own turbo and ends up in this thread.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Not until you roll it, that is.

Though I suppose that's really more of a "structural failure."

Doesn't really look all that much more structurally unsound than a stock 1G.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

Why the hate? I'm going to assume you actually haven't driven a new diesel because they don't really rattle anymore thanks to pilot injections and generally tend to outlast their gas brethren.

Hmm didn't realise the 11+ Cruze has a new engine - the original parts bin one they used was indeed horrible.

Diesels are actually relatively common here especially in fleets, but they're slowly losing favour again (due to how the road tax structure works)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ferremit posted:

#3 precombustion chamber

#4 precombustion chamber

:gonk: or :monocle:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

bout an M10x1.25 from memory- 14mm socket heads so that figures out about right.

Not all the head bolts were the same "Tightness" when released either, and it didnt matter whether they were inside the rocker or out in the open, so it could be a few have slightly weakened over the last 12yrs of heat/cool cycling, they are torque to yield bolts too.

We will see what the engine shop says tomorrow when they heat the head and pressure test the cracks to see if they go into the gallerys.

You might be able to order an ARP stud kit for a VW 1.6/1.9l and use those in place of the torque to yield head bolts.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Hmmm, that doesn't look right.

OK, definitely something wrong here.

Yep.

To H&R's credit, all I had to do was send them pictures of the springs and they sent me these:

Apparently the rubber tubing they put on the helper coils does not play well with corrosion states (I'm in Boston) and it allows moisture to eat the springs (both rears were broken). They removed the tubing from the replacement springs that they sent me free of charge.

MooMoo
Jul 29, 2009

Some of the clutch pack disc out of the Reinjes Industries WVS 2232 reduction gear off my old boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I dont have a picture but i caused a minor yet embarassing failure today.
1993 huge gmc conversion van, i was trying to get it into a tight lift, that is super old and just so happens to have sharp edged full corner lift contacts, with no rubber.

I bumped the RF wheel into the lift arm, turned the steering wheel away from that side, shoving the balloon wall tire into the corner of the lift contact.
One huge gust of air and van shifting to the side later, i was aware that i had blown my fist tire on a lift. Everyone does it, like a desk pop, right guys?