Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You get two lives in Transformers and then a game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

You get two lives in Transformers and then a game over.

You get three lives in Transformers. I was just playing it ten minutes ago so I'm certain of that.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
I can't remember the last time I posted in the forums, but I feel that my relatively new found love for GCCX warrants a post.

Around Christmas time a friend started telling me about this "crazy rear end Japanese show where a guy plays old video games not very well, oh, and sometimes they go to places like arcades". Even though I love video games, am interested in Japan, and am not very good at games, it took him selling me on the show for another two months or so before I sat down and watched some episodes with him and other friends (53 stations was first I think?).

:rock:

We ended up watching a handful of episodes that night, and I was sold on the show. I really love learning about other cultures, and I didn't realize how much of that comes through with GCCX. I ended up watching most of the subbed episodes within a month or two (there was a pretty good backlog for me to run through, it was great watching a few episodes a day). Then whenever summer break came I decided that I'd go back and re-watch all the episodes in order (I'm a teacher, so I live for those 2 months in summer), and I did just that. It was nice seeing the crew's personalities and characters progress, what with Arino getting better-ish, Tojima becoming more smooth, Inoku Max becoming more lovable, and Abe being just badass (and the definition of inscrutable). All that stuff a good show has that helps makes their characters endearing and keeps fans loyal.

I knew most of the episodes were done by a goon group, I just though that you guys ran gamingcx.com and I didn't feel a need to hunt you down. I figured by visiting the webpage I'd be supporting you guys enough. Then I was informed that there was a monster of a thread about GCCX, and I've been working though it for the past few days. It took me a lot longer than expected because I'd be opening up links, or watching a clip or episode I missed, or looking up ridiculous things like the difference between 'desu' and 'da' copulas.

Now that I've finished the huge backlog that this thread presented to me, I feel I have a much better understanding of the show and a much clearer view of how much work the SA team has done not only to put out a quality product (labor of love) and promote the show. I haven't been this pumped about a show in a long time, and I just want to extend a very heart-felt thanks to everyone on the team for making this possible. You guys were the highlight of my summer, and I'm going to stick with this as long as I can and do what I can to turn more people on to this and to support the show.

tl;dr version - The SA:GCCX team is a group of awesome and kick-rear end people for doing what they do. Thank you (and not just a normal amount either).

fake edit: Oh, and zari-gani, as a random and hopefully not creepy aside, I realized I've had at least a few pics you've done in the past in my pictures folder for a good while now, your style is pretty :coolfish:

FireCar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 6, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is the OP not up to date on translations or has there literally been no new ones in the last two months?

I don't mind if there hasn't, I just want to make sure I haven't missed any!

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Reive posted:

Is the OP not up to date on translations or has there literally been no new ones in the last two months?

I don't mind if there hasn't, I just want to make sure I haven't missed any!

Famicom Jump episode was posted Jul 26, 2012 and it's in the OP, although I do agree that almost 2 weeks feels like 2 months.

Just follow the "Latest Episodes"-list, it's usually fairly up-to-date (nice addition would be a date of release next to each ep on it).

makere fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 6, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

makere posted:

Famicom Jump episode was posted Jul 26, 2012 and it's in the OP, although I do agree that almost 2 weeks feels like 2 months.

Just follow the "Latest Episodes"-list, it's usually fairly up-to-date (nice addition would be a date of release next to each ep on it).

:doh: I looked at the edit date on the second post, downloading now.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
So instead of being productive in the week before I go back to work, I've been watching a whole lot of Downtown stuff. I mean a lot, as in there has been an all nighter and multiple late nights. I've watched the 24 hour No-Laugh series from the newspaper to the latest one, and I'm working on the hospital batsu now. These guys are really great, though I think I lost it the most during some of the Surprisingly Tasty episodes. My next video to watch is the Friendly Downtown with Yoiko episode, I can't wait.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Thank you for the encouraging words! Just in case you haven't found it yet, there's a Japanese TV thread that's pretty much 90% about Downtown.

I watched the Famicom Detective Club episode and I liked it, though that's probably 'cause I'm partial to those kinds of games. At least, it was a lot better than the Jinguuji Saburou/Jake Hunter episode (though that ep made me buy "Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past," beat the whole thing and made me want to play more games in the series... It wasn't even a good game! I just got absorbed in the stories and characters). I would like to translate both episodes ASAP, but I know they aren't what most people want and it's a strain on the timers so I'll wait a while before tackling those.

In any case, have an out-of-context screenshot.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zari-gani posted:

In any case, have an out-of-context screenshot.

Glad to see Arino got around to playing the videogame adaptation of Animal Farm.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

I would like to translate both episodes ASAP, but I know they aren't what most people want and it's a strain on the timers so I'll wait a while before tackling those.

Who are these "most people" who are wrong and should be shunned for not loving mysteries? :mad:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I would like to translate both episodes ASAP, but I know they aren't what most people want and it's a strain on the timers so I'll wait a while before tackling those.

You know we just exist for you to abuse.

Speaking of which, I have to go find some fan art...

Edit: Oooh! We need to do a season 11 episode! I just found the greatest picture of Emoto. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 9, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ AAAH! Yes!

Bocc Kob posted:

Who are these "most people" who are wrong and should be shunned for not loving mysteries? :mad:

Seriously, my favorite episodes are always quiz and adventure/mystery episodes. I watch Clock Tower / Night of the Sickle Weasel (BEING LOCALIZED FOR IOS/ANDROID!) / Hokkaido Serial Murders more than any other episodes!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

What I mean is if I did two adventure game episodes in a row, there'd probably be some complaints about that. I do like to pay some mind to what the majority wants. (Not that some people won't complain either way. Can't please everyone!)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Famitan games are still really high-regarded in Japan, aren't they? They seem to show up on "best-of" Nintendo lists a lot, and as far as I know they were the highest-selling FDS games behind Zelda.

They're also the games that established Yoshio Sakamoto as the "story guy" within Nintendo, so they're interesting from that perspective.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Famitan games are still really high-regarded in Japan, aren't they? They seem to show up on "best-of" Nintendo lists a lot, and as far as I know they were the highest-selling FDS games behind Zelda.

They're also the games that established Yoshio Sakamoto as the "story guy" within Nintendo, so they're interesting from that perspective.

It's a classic there, and the one Arino played was written by Sakamoto in just three days. I saw some of the Japanese fans lamenting the high amount of game content cut from the episode due to time, and wishing they would've made it a two-parter (considering the game is made up of two disks). As much as I dislike two-parters I agree that this would've merited being split into two episodes instead of some of the other challenges this season.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

FireCar posted:

I knew most of the episodes were done by a goon group, I just though that you guys ran gamingcx.com and I didn't feel a need to hunt you down. I figured by visiting the webpage I'd be supporting you guys enough.

It was noted in the previous thread, so you may have missed it, but that site isn't part of the SA team and it was a bit disappointing to see no effort on their part to credit any of the team's efforts; and at times it was vague enough to appear that they were responsible for the episodes themselves. Which is kind of scummy.

Edit: VVV :fry:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 9, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Can you feel your heart racing as the deluge begins? Doki Doki Panic has arrived.

If you're not familiar with that title Nintendo replaced the characters with Mario, Luigi, Princess, and Toad for the US and released it as Super Mario Brothers 2. Then they took that back to Japan and released it as a cart called Super Mario USA for those who didn't have the Famicom Disk System.

This episode is brought to you by the tireless translator zari-gani and the timing assistant univbee! Together, they fight crime!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 466.15 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

Doki Doki Panic has arrived.

Thank you, zari-gani! :)

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Random Stranger posted:

the timing assistant
Also thanks to univbee!

What a fine addition to this week, so much season 3 and ring ring tactics! I was always a big fan of the US Mario 2 even if most people thought it was weird or that the ending was bologna or whatnot. Now I can see what it was really all about?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to this one as well. Hope it gets done downloading in the next 40 min so I can take it to the gym with me.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The timing of this is perfect since I finally beat the NES version of SMB2 for the first time a few weeks ago (I think the only other version I beat was the GBA remake). I can't wait to watch it later tonight. Thank you again, GCCX, for another hour of entertainment and possibly yelling at the screen when Arino screws up a relatively easy-ish part. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 9, 2012

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Pretty awesome fanart this time around.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What an awesome release! I was going to spend time unwinding tonight but wasn't sure how and now I know. Thanks SAGCCX team, you all are great!

Oh, and did I read right a few posts up that Night of the Sickle Weasel is getting localized for iOS (or did you mean Clock Tower?)? Either way, I'd buy that up in a snap.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I'm glad to see another season 3 episode as many were not subbed from that season. I loved the Doki Doki Panic episode as I watched the raw the raw so many times. One of my favorite NES Platformers. I prefer the Doki Doki characters to the Mario characters for this game.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the release guys. I've been looking forward to this episode.

^^ Sickle Weasel is getting an IOS release.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
A welcome surprise today, thanks SA-GCCX duders.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Mayor McCheese posted:

It was noted in the previous thread, so you may have missed it, but that site isn't part of the SA team and it was a bit disappointing to see no effort on their part to credit any of the team's efforts; and at times it was vague enough to appear that they were responsible for the episodes themselves. Which is kind of scummy.

After reading through this thread, I realized my mistake. I knew that earlier in the thread, people were talking about just that, so I figured I'd pop in and say "Hey, I was one of those people, but now I know better thanks to this thread." I was aiming to give the warm fuzzy feelings to all of those that have promoted GCCX through whatever means. I know you guys aren't doing this to become e-famous, but I know that words of encouragement are always appreciated.

edit: Arino in the Doki Doki episode: "That was an effective trap." I couldn't help but to giggle.

FireCar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 9, 2012

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Doki Doki Panic is one of the few episodes I've watched raw, but I will gladly watch it again. Thanks zari-gani and univbee!

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder if we'll get anymore Season 3 episodes.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Hearing the different sound effects is weirding me out. I keep thinking, "That's not how that's supposed to sound...that's not how that is supposed to sound either...".

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.
I had no idea you need to beat the game with all four characters to get the ending!!

It also took me a few minutes to go "Wait a minute, the player characters don't shrink when they're down to one hit in this version".

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

FireCar posted:

After reading through this thread, I realized my mistake. I knew that earlier in the thread, people were talking about just that, so I figured I'd pop in and say "Hey, I was one of those people, but now I know better thanks to this thread." I was aiming to give the warm fuzzy feelings to all of those that have promoted GCCX through whatever means.

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't mean to quote you out of context or direct this at you. I just wanted to clarify the whole gamingcx.com situation. I know it doesn't bother a few members of the team as they want to spread the show, but I'm not a fan of those accepting credit (like that site on the previous thread) or acknowledging that they are just hosting the translation effort & nothing more.

On the other hand you have places like Freshverse (RIP) which showed their appreciation and help spread the live broadcasts.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
New episode? Bless you all!

Random Stranger, where do you come up with all this fanart?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't mean to quote you out of context or direct this at you. I just wanted to clarify the whole gamingcx.com situation. I know it doesn't bother a few members of the team as they want to spread the show, but I'm not a fan of those accepting credit (like that site on the previous thread) or acknowledging that they are just hosting the translation effort & nothing more.

Remember when Kotaku credited GamingCX.com? I think that's the funniest thing that came out of the gamingcx situation.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Waiting for goon translated episodes has become a great passion of mine as of late. Thanks for doing it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

Remember when Kotaku credited GamingCX.com? I think that's the funniest thing that came out of the gamingcx situation.

And credits for subtitles go to TV Nihon. :v:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

jyrque posted:

And credits for subtitles go to TV Nihon. :v:

Excuse me, you mean the Localization Masters at TV Nihon. How else could we watch this show starring Kachou Arino-san playing these kusoge gamesofts while Inokomax-kun receives teletextos from his Kaa-san? Theyre heroes, I tell ya.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Mayor McCheese posted:

On the other hand you have places like Freshverse (RIP) which showed their appreciation and help spread the live broadcasts.

No problem, I didn't see or take any offense and I completely agree with you. And as for the Freshverse thing, it may be a spitting in the wind, but according to a post by a mod last week:

I was gone for two weeks in July and the server was taken offline during that time (electricity conservation this-that). Since then I've been looking for a better solution to running Maid-chan, one that doesn't doesn't go down/up for scheduled maintenance, etc. (since it's a pain in the butt to reboot her every few days).

And it seems that today I found one, Weeee! I'm gonna make a copy of her language database and source code tonight and move her onto a new box. We'll see how it works out.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Gutcruncher posted:

Excuse me, you mean the Localization Masters at TV Nihon. How else could we watch this show starring Kachou Arino-san playing these kusoge gamesofts while Inokomax-kun receives teletextos from his Kaa-san? Theyre heroes, I tell ya.

God damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
In the doki doki panic episode during the 1985 games segment there is one named Q-taro the ghost. That game was localized in america as Chuby cherub. I´m only saying because you normaly include this information during these segments.

I love the gccx raining seasons :)