Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Speaking of Japanese actions films who has the American rights for Violent Cop? That movie needs a good stateside release and it seems like something Criterion should at least look into to doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SneakySneaks posted:

Speaking of Japanese actions films who has the American rights for Violent Cop? That movie needs a good stateside release and it seems like something Criterion should at least look into to doing.
I can't tell if that's supposed to be a joke, but John Woo is Chinese. The films we've been discussing were made in Hong Kong.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Has there ever been any hints as to a Criterion release of Barcelona? It feels like a no-brainer release. And the DVD is out of print. Come on guys, complete the trilogy. :(

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Warner's owned it at one time (not sure if they still do). They've licensed to Criterion recently (unless I am just completely misremembering), but they definitely don't have the same cozy relationship that Criterion does with, say, Universal.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SubG posted:

I can't tell if that's supposed to be a joke, but John Woo is Chinese. The films we've been discussing were made in Hong Kong.

It's like when The Departed won the Oscar for adapted screenplay and the announcer said Infernal Affairs was a Japanese movie. How does the ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENCES gently caress that up??

edit: Or the Olympics mixing up the North and South Korean flags. :lol:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

SubG posted:

No just a brain fart, put Japanese instead of Asian.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

codyclarke posted:

Has there ever been any hints as to a Criterion release of Barcelona? It feels like a no-brainer release. And the DVD is out of print. Come on guys, complete the trilogy. :(

The DVD is back in print through Warner Archive. Which doesn't rule out a Criterion release, but Warner's has always been the least likely to license to Criterion.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The DVD is back in print through Warner Archive. Which doesn't rule out a Criterion release, but Warner's has always been the least likely to license to Criterion.

Did not know it was back in print. Thanks!

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Which is a shame because Warner USA is refusing to release The Devils.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

SneakySneaks posted:

Which is a shame because Warner USA is refusing to release The Devils.

They are so weird with that movie that even if they gave the rights over to Criterion it would probably be the UK theatrical cut at most and not the full restored cut. They wouldn't let BFI release it uncut or on BRD in the UK.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner is probably the reason why Kino had to drop the two RKO shorts by Kubrick on the Fear and Desire release. They are literally the only major studio not licensing other than two recent ones for BFI. It's puzzling since Paramount and Sony are happy to license out top tier films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

You'd think that they'd want to make money. But nope. Better to just never let those films see the light of day!

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

You'd think that they'd want to make money. But nope. Better to just never let those films see the light of day!

I don't know whether it's stubbornness (only we can release out catalog titles) or arrogance (nobody will buy that poo poo, even with out commission from Criterion it wouldn't be worth it). In the case of The Devils they're probably still afraid of people being angered by the film, even if they aren't the ones releasing the dvd.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Warner's is the actually the most active in making its back catalog available, so this sarcastic response is counter-factual.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My guess is that it goes higher than just their home video wing. Warner's licensing to outside companies has been limited completely to a few short films on the Anthology Film Archives set Unseen Cinema on DVD, BFI's release of The Devils on DVD and Revolution on Blu, and letting Blazing Saddles be part of Fox's Mel Brooks box set.

By comparison, Universal has licensed over 40 films to Criterion, let alone all the titles they've farmed out to Anchor Bay, Kino, Image, TCM Archives, and now Shout! Factory.

Warner has just gone downhill. They've gone from releasing an awesome 3-disc set for The Jazz Singer on DVD to making The Magnificent Ambersons a bare-bones Amazon exclusive DVD.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

It's totally a shame that Warner's has determined that what the market will bear no longer includes sets like the Jazz Singer, but that's not the same as not being interested in their back catalog. You praise Universal but they're sitting on like seven hundred Paramount films and a couple notables (e.g. Preston Sturges films) aside, what have they done with those?

At this point I'm hoping Olive Films makes a deal with them, because against all odds they've been knocking it out of the park.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, I just went back and re-read my posts and I kind of come off like some weird Warner's fanboy. I don't know. I just mean to say that Warner's is committed to making as many of its films as possible available in DVD format in as good a condition as possible. There are certain titles that they are weird about (chiefly The Devils, but also Red Dust, for which I suspect the issue is a restoration happening currently, and I guess the Kubrick RKO docs, and I'm sure some others) but they're not in the habit of sitting on titles, like Universal, or Lionsgate, or whoever else. I would rather that all the companies had Warner's philosophy and just miss out on a handful of titles than constantly have my fingers crossed that whatever I had my heart set on got the glorious special-feature treatment I thought it deserved by way of licensing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner is one of the best for restorations and remasters. But they have a huge catalog. They apparently can't justify Greed outside iTunes or a Blu of Ambersons. Why not let niche labels take the chance for them?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner is one of the best for restorations and remasters. But they have a huge catalog. They apparently can't justify Greed outside iTunes or a Blu of Ambersons. Why not let niche labels take the chance for them?
Based on my experience working in companies that own a lot of content sitting in vaults - it's probably the predictable answer of too much bureaucracy. Management in charge of licensing either greatly overvalues how much it's worth (turning off the niche labels from taking it on) or thinks about how much more money could be made if they did it themselves instead of a third party taking a cut of the profits so they turn it down. Management in charge of distribution thinks it's too much time and effort for not a lot of money so they aren't interested in doing it themselves. And the two divisions have their own goals and budgets to worry about so they aren't going to waste time doing something that benefits the other.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 10, 2012

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Tenenbaums is 50% off on Amazon and Best Buy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

robix smash posted:

Tenenbaums is 50% off on Amazon and Best Buy.

Thanks for the update. Mine just shipped and they charged $28. Hopefully I can get a refund.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Asnorban posted:

Thanks for the update. Mine just shipped and they charged $28. Hopefully I can get a refund.
With tax and shipping it's $25 anyway. Probably not worth the hassle for $3.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

robix smash posted:

With tax and shipping it's $25 anyway. Probably not worth the hassle for $3.

I have Prime, they refunded it within 30 minutes of me emailing. Well worth it for the $8 savings.

Finished working my way through my purchases from the last Barnes and Noble sale, meaning it is time to begin working on my list for the next one.

How is Kagemusha? I have Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo and it looks like that is the only other option for Kurosawa currently available.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Kagemusha is very good, but not as good as Ran.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I might be the only person who likes Kagemusha more than Ran, but you should get it anyway. Plus it's based on historical figures/events so it's educational too! And Kagemusha is just fun to say.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like Kagemusha more than Yojimbo, Sanjuro, or Rashomon. But I get the feeling that isn't the general consensus.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Speaking of, when's the Rashomon bluray coming? I saw Janus's fantastic restored print last summer and am surprised it hasn't shown up yet.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Asnorban posted:

Finished working my way through my purchases from the last Barnes and Noble sale, meaning it is time to begin working on my list for the next one.

How is Kagemusha? I have Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo and it looks like that is the only other option for Kurosawa currently available.

Don't look past his noir-ish stuff. I liked High and Low a lot and both Stray Dog and The Bad Sleep Well are pretty good, too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Origami Dali posted:

I like Kagemusha more than Yojimbo, Sanjuro, or Rashomon.

I agree with that, but my favorite Kurosawa movie is The Bad Sleep Well, so I might just have Wrong Opinions.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

barkingclam posted:

Don't look past his noir-ish stuff. I liked High and Low a lot and both Stray Dog and The Bad Sleep Well are pretty good, too.

I get the feeling he's talking about BluRay only. Otherwise, Ikiru takes priority.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Origami Dali posted:

I get the feeling he's talking about BluRay only. Otherwise, Ikiru takes priority.

I definitely didn't make that clear, but yes, that is the case.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Asnorban posted:

I definitely didn't make that clear, but yes, that is the case.

Gotcha. Still, High and Low's on BluRay, so you're not limited to Kagemusha. Either would be a good call, I think.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

barkingclam posted:

Gotcha. Still, High and Low's on BluRay, so you're not limited to Kagemusha. Either would be a good call, I think.

I may do that for a change of pace. Thanks.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Just as an fyi, the subtitles on that are incredibly hard to read at times.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apparently something from 1950 is getting an upgrade today. Probably Rashomon, which would be cool, but I'd be happier if it was Night and the City or The Furies.

edit: yep, it's Rashomon

I hate that cover

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 15, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like the art but the big red title block going across the bottom makes it look like a low-effort Fake Criterion, like a cool old poster with all the Criterion stuff slapped on with no thought towards actual design.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rashomon
Heaven's Gate
Godard's Weekend
Pasolini's Trilogy of Life (The Canterbury Tales, Arabian Nights, and The Decameron)
Shochiku Horror (Eclipse)

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like the art but the big red title block going across the bottom makes it look like a low-effort Fake Criterion, like a cool old poster with all the Criterion stuff slapped on with no thought towards actual design.

You can buy that poster in their store. They've been selling it for years now (or at least two).

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Rashomon
Heaven's Gate
Godard's Weekend
Pasolini's Trilogy of Life (The Canterbury Tales, Arabian Nights, and The Decameron)
Shochiku Horror (Eclipse)

Unfortunately Heaven's Gate does not have Final Cut included. I enjoy how pretentious they're being with that movie since it's absolute poo poo movie with the only saving grace being great cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FitFortDanga posted:

edit: yep, it's Rashomon

I hate that cover

I actually like that cover since it looks like the cover of a Japanese novel or mook.