Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Excuse me, you mean the Localization Masters at TV Nihon. How else could we watch this show starring Kachou Arino-san playing these kusoge gamesofts while Inokomax-kun receives teletextos from his Kaa-san? Theyre heroes, I tell ya.

You sound like a real expert, Gutcruncher-sama. ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was another great episode. Not only was it fun watching Arino struggle through the game, but it was fun seeing how different Doki Doki Panic was from what we got as SMB2. Once again, thank you for your hard work! :)

I do have a quick question... During the Ring-Ring Tactics segment when they were talking about the kid who beat Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels for Arino, you guys translated the game title as SMB: The Lost World. Was that a translation error, or is the game called The Lost World in some places?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gutcruncher posted:

Excuse me, you mean the Localization Masters at TV Nihon. How else could we watch this show starring Kachou Arino-san playing these kusoge gamesofts while Inokomax-kun receives teletextos from his Kaa-san? Theyre heroes, I tell ya.

:suicide:

I keep telling myself I'm going to get to work on stuff but then YOU GUYS just come and stop me. Every single time.

(Thank you for your hard work! :3:)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Vlaphor posted:

Hearing the different sound effects is weirding me out. I keep thinking, "That's not how that's supposed to sound...that's not how that is supposed to sound either...".

For me it's pretty weird to see Shyguys and hear Mario music in a game that doesn't involve Mario. Is this where that stuff originated?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Corridor posted:

For me it's pretty weird to see Shyguys and hear Mario music in a game that doesn't involve Mario. Is this where that stuff originated?
Yeah, pretty much... The story is that Nintendo decided that SMB2j (aka the Lost Levels) would be too hard for American gamers. So, they took Doki Doki Panic, slapped Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach in place of the original characters, changed a bunch of stuff (mostly graphics, sound, and some music) around, and completely changed the plot to give us what we now know as Super Mario Bros 2.

In 1992 (two years after Super Mario World's release in Japan), they finally got our SMB2, which they refer to as Super Mario USA.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

FireCar posted:

No problem, I didn't see or take any offense and I completely agree with you. And as for the Freshverse thing, it may be a spitting in the wind, but according to a post by a mod last week:

Not to CRUSH YOUR DREAMS but that was in reply to "what happened to your bot", so I'm pretty sure that post is about their chat bot and not the actual stream.

It sounds like several-month-long-outages have happened before with the stream though so it's not necessarily a sign that it's gone forever. Who knows. I hope it comes back tho :(

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Fantastic to see another deluge underway---thanks as always to everybody that allows for these fine spectacles to happen!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Joctan posted:

In the doki doki panic episode during the 1985 games segment there is one named Q-taro the ghost. That game was localized in america as Chuby cherub. Im only saying because you normaly include this information during these segments.

I love the gccx raining seasons :)

Huh, didn't know this, this is cool to know.

Corridor posted:

Yes. I have no idea what Nintendo payed for the Doki Doki rights; either FujiTV got shafted or they're swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style.

I completely misunderstood the circumstances behind the creation of the game, my bad.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 9, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why would Nintendo have given them a cent? They were contracted to make a game featuring the Fuji TV characters but owned everything else in the game so could do with it as they pleased.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

New episode? Bless you all!

Random Stranger, where do you come up with all this fanart?

Pretty much through pixiv.net which is essentially deviantart for Japan.

Joctan posted:

In the doki doki panic episode during the 1985 games segment there is one named Q-taro the ghost. That game was localized in america as Chuby cherub. I´m only saying because you normaly include this information during these segments.

I love the gccx raining seasons :)

Thanks for mentioning that. Sometimes the localization of obscure games can be tricky to find. I didn't know that Q-taro was brought over here myself.

univbee posted:

Yes. I have no idea what Nintendo payed for the Doki Doki rights; either FujiTV got shafted or they're swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style.

You have seen the corporate headquarters they built with that money. Modernist architecture on prime real estate in Tokyo doesn't come cheap.

(Just to head off the three other people in this thread who know this, I am well aware that Odaiba was direct opposite of "prime real estate" when the new Fuji TV HQ was built.)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Obeast posted:

Yeah, pretty much... The story is that Nintendo decided that SMB2j (aka the Lost Levels) would be too hard for American gamers. So, they took Doki Doki Panic, slapped Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach in place of the original characters, changed a bunch of stuff (mostly graphics, sound, and some music) around, and completely changed the plot to give us what we now know as Super Mario Bros 2.

In 1992 (two years after Super Mario World's release in Japan), they finally got our SMB2, which they refer to as Super Mario USA.

I've heard this story before, but reading the article on Wikipedia led me to this: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

Basically the game that the West knows as "Super Mario Bros. 2" might have actually wound up as Super Mario Bros. 2 worldwide if the original concept had Miyamoto's approval. But it didn't, so it became Doki Doki Panic, and then ultimately Super Mario Bros. 2 in the West.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't read the link above me, but the tl;dr is that NOA didn't want to follow up the first game with Lost Levels, so when Miyamoto and others noticed that Doki Doki Panic was outselling Lost Levels in Japan they naturally decided to retool it as SMB2 for the international market.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

GidgetNomates posted:

post that crushes dreams

Welp, that's what I get for reading that post out of context of the other ones.

And the Doki Doki Panic episode was pretty good. Arino's troubles pretty much mirror mine with that game (though I'm not nearly as bad in some areas, but then again, I've never beaten it either).

FireCar fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 9, 2012

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
Don't get too bitter about the Kotaku business. They've made a business out of doing one Google search for news stories and posting pictures of boobs.

On the other hand, Zari-Gani got a paid gig translating a whole DVD, which is way better resume dressing than writing another "Top Ten Weird Japanese Sex Toys" post.

Speaking of, are you trying to get into translating full-time Zari? For all I know you could be already, but this project has to have given you some connections.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Watching the Doki Doki episode, I can't but just wonder how much of the stuff shown here is just token Mario stuff these days. Then again, there's also a lot of things that were already relevant in Mario universe such as the invincibility star, Pow block and Bob-omb's distant cousin with muscle arms.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Tewratomeh posted:

Basically the game that the West knows as "Super Mario Bros. 2" might have actually wound up as Super Mario Bros. 2 worldwide if the original concept had Miyamoto's approval. But it didn't, so it became Doki Doki Panic, and then ultimately Super Mario Bros. 2 in the West.

I guess that's why they were so willing to put DDP characters in other Mario games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You jump, shoot, and defeat bossed. It's just a simple platformer. Or is it?! This time Arino takes on Phoenix, a game that has become one of my favorite Famicom platformers that never came to the US.

This episode is brought to you by zari-gani who once kept a pet phoenix but had to get ride of it when it kept immolating on the rug.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 548.36 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I haven't had a chance to watch the Doki Doki episode and now this. I will rub this on my chest.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

You jump, shoot, and defeat bossed. It's just a simple platformer. Or is it?! This time Arino takes on Phoenix, a game that has become one of my favorite Famicom platformers that never came to the US.

This episode is brought to you by zari-gani who once kept a pet phoenix but had to get ride of it when it kept immolating on the rug.

View torrent stats

Direct Download

We're having a fire sale... think of the children!!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So... Can I take this to mean that we're getting the SMW eps in the near future to finish off the season?

Either way, thanks SA GCCX Team! :swoon:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

SirLarr posted:

Speaking of, are you trying to get into translating full-time Zari? For all I know you could be already, but this project has to have given you some connections.

I'd be nice to translate as a side job -- specifically manga, because I'm partial to translating dialogue -- but I have yet to find a place that doesn't pay peanuts (so it goes with translation, it seems). Discotek was very reasonable. But every manga translation job I've come across pays a depressingly low amount -- it's unfair how something that requires such a special set of knowledge pays so little... far below entry-level wages... and some companies exploit scanlators eager to make a buck. Sure, I get paid nothing translating all these GCCX episodes, but the experience and being able to spread a show I love makes it more than worth it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I find it completely reasonable that you would find charity work for something you love rewarding while being paid poverty level wages for the same work would be insulting. I think manga is the worst of it though as far as poo poo wages go.

I can't wait to get home and download this! Aaah! I love SAGCCX. :3:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Direct Download

Is the Pheonix episode "Hi No Tori"? I loved that episode and watched that raw alot. It showed that game is harder than it looks. The game game was still easy though as he beat it in 6 hours which is one of his his fastest clears on the show.

Random Stranger posted:

"Hi no tori" is literally "fire bird" a.k.a. a phoenix in pretty much every translation of mythology you're going to encounter (except when you're dealing with Tchaikovsky for some reason). It's also the official English title of the manga the game is based on.

Thanks for letting me know.

It has been hinted in a previous post that 4 platformers were coming up. We already got Doki Doki Panic and Pheonix. My hope is to get the 2 Super Mario World episodes or the 2 Makaimura episodes. I would also love to see the 2 Megaman 4 episodes. It is most likly to be SMW so season 3 can be finished.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 10, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Is the Pheonix episode "Hi No Tori"?

"Hi no tori" is literally "fire bird" a.k.a. a phoenix in pretty much every translation of mythology you're going to encounter (except when you're dealing with Stravinsky for some reason). It's also the official English title of the manga the game is based on.

(Edit: I knew it was Stravinsky, I was double checking the spelling and Tchaikovsky came up in the search for some reason making me think I was wrong.)

Edit 2: And now I'm reading up on this, apparently slavic folklore typically uses "firebird" though it's clearly connected with the phoenix of other mythologies.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 10, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's Stravinsky, you uncultured swine!

Edit: Suuuuure you did...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bless the rains down in SAGGCXica.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

zari-gani posted:

But every manga translation job I've come across pays a depressingly low amount -- it's unfair how something that requires such a special set of knowledge pays so little... far below entry-level wages... and some companies exploit scanlators eager to make a buck. Sure, I get paid nothing translating all these GCCX episodes, but the experience and being able to spread a show I love makes it more than worth it.

Hahaha. Yeahhh. Translating for peanuts is good experience, but I certainly won't be doing it as a job for the rest of my life..... :suicide: It would be much more refreshing to translate for fun and get paid money for... something else.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
You can tell a game is going to be quality work when they have to give you a self-destruct button.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What were the major differences between the FDS and the Famicom? Basically all the FDS games were later released on the NES so they differences couldn't have been that great.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That old man was the best. I'd visit his arcade all the time just to hang out and chat with him. :3:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

What were the major differences between the FDS and the Famicom? Basically all the FDS games were later released on the NES so they differences couldn't have been that great.

My memory on the numbers here might be hazy and wrong, but here goes.

The Disk System's reason for existence is that Nintendo couldn't get cartridges to cost-effectively have more than 64k in ROM space, and hadn't figured out battery backups yet. Famicom Disk games were 128k, 64k per side which needed flipping at certain times. Mostly this translated seamlessly when the games were ported to cartridges, but there were a few oddities (in Zelda II, there's a maze island off in a corner with the fifth palace that has a "load" when you cross the bridge to get to it; its original FDS version required a side change here). Nintendo figured out the cartridge sizing and saving issues and killed the disk system not long after that.

Numerous games had a 3-slot save system like Zeldas 1 and 2 in their FDS renditions, which were swapped for password systems when released on cartridge. This includes Metroid, Kid Icarus and Castlevania II, and probably some others.

Finally, the sound effects and music in some games are different due to some special connectivity in the Famicom's cartridge slot that would pipe into the FDS hardware, which had extra sound capability. Some non-FDS games exploited this same connector, like Castlevania III in Japan. This was the main thing that couldn't carry over to the NES, as the connector that would need bridging was on the underside of the console instead of in the cartridge slot.

A few games were essentially direct ports and didn't have much of a difference. Intriguingly, though, while they had an FDS version of Super Mario 1 that was identical on the surface, its code was different enough that doing the glitch in 1-2 and going to World -1 took you to a different World -1 than the cartridge version. One that was actually winnable.

EDIT: There were a handful of FDS games never re-released in cartridge form; in fact, the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 is among those games.

univbee fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 10, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Another big thing about the disks was that they were super cheap to buy compared to the cartridges, and even cheaper if you didnt mine overwriting the disks you already have. Unfortunately these days due to rewriting, buying used FDS games is a tense game of Russian Roulette.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mister Chief posted:

The three big differences were the cache of rewritable data on each disk that could be used for save files, the extra sound channel that allowed for wavetable synthesis, and the general increase of space afforded by the relative cheapness of disks compared to cartridges at the time. You could also send you disks away to Nintendo to have them re-written with new games for much less than the price of buying new, and there were even kiosks at certain stores that'd let you do it yourself.

That being said, FDS games were very easy to pirate, and by the time it actually went on the market people were producing regular Famicom carts that used as much capacity as a FDS disk, so it didn't really take off.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
The extra sound channel makes certain NES games, like Metroid, worth playing in an FDS emulator instead. It takes away that annoying problem where the music has to pause when a sound effect plays.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
I enjoyed that episode, I was surprised that the game wasn't nearly as BS as I expected it to be, except for the last Yamato stage being isolated, that was crap. It looks pretty fun, and I wish they would have localized it for a Western audience. I think it would have gone over pretty well.

Two questions though.

1. With the shooting games, Arino always does the mega-lean over the counter. Is that a normal thing, or are the operators allowing it since it's for TV? I know that crane game operators (sorry, I meant to say UFO catcher enzanshi) will rearrange prizes and whatnot, I just don't know if it carries over to the other games.

2. And with Phoenix, is the warp that took him to Yamato 8 the one that he skipped over earlier? And since this already spoiler tagged, the dig on Kibe at the end was a nice touch. They're getting on him for picking a game Arino didn't kill himself on. Only in GCCX world.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FireCar posted:

1. With the shooting games, Arino always does the mega-lean over the counter. Is that a normal thing, or are the operators allowing it since it's for TV? I know that crane game operators (sorry, I meant to say UFO catcher enzanshi) will rearrange prizes and whatnot, I just don't know if it carries over to the other games.

Perhaps it's just something the kids over there 'totally invented' and Arino, being a giant manchild, kept doing it that way.

Miss Andrist
Feb 25, 2012

Oh Arino, if only you knew

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Miss Andrist posted:

Oh Arino, if only you knew

In his defense, they certainly won't reproduce.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
Hey, if this guy (kinda NSFW) can have a steady girlfriend...! On the other hand, heterosexual relationships are at an all-time low in Japan, so I guess the gamer guys are just closer to the average than they used to be. :v:

Thanks for the translations as always guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Hey, if this guy (kinda NSFW) can have a steady girlfriend...!

That's because his hobbies don't include icky stuff like video games or anime. :downs:

oh my god how can she live with an obnoxious nerd like that :saddowns:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 10, 2012