Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CzarChasm posted:

If it smells OK, it's probably safe, though after 6 months there's a fair chance that texture may have suffered, especially if there are ice crystals on top.

The texture of beef stew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I love hard-boiled eggs that have been soaked in a soy sauce and mirin mixture, like the ones they use as ramen toppings in Japan. Mmm.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tea eggs are also delicious.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Any advice for hard boiling eggs at 5,000 ft above sea level?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Any advice for hard boiling eggs at 5,000 ft above sea level?

Just do it a smidge longer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Zhent posted:

I've started making bread fairly regularly, but in an attempt to add some more flavor I'm thinking about pre-mixing the sponge and setting it in the fridge for 12-24 hours before finishing the dough. Typically in the recipes I'm following, I cover the sponge with the rest of the dry ingredients and let it sit for about 20 minutes on the countertop right now.

If I refrigerate the sponge, should I refrigerate by itself or with the dry layer of flour/yeast/dry milk sitting on top of it? And do I need to allow it additional time out of the refrigerator to reach room temperature again before finishing the recipe?

Leave it in the bowl by itself covered with plastic wrap(shower caps work great!). You do want to let your sponge/starter/whatever warm back up to room temp before you use it or it will seriously affect your proofing times.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Zhent posted:

I've started making bread fairly regularly, but in an attempt to add some more flavor I'm thinking about pre-mixing the sponge and setting it in the fridge for 12-24 hours before finishing the dough. Typically in the recipes I'm following, I cover the sponge with the rest of the dry ingredients and let it sit for about 20 minutes on the countertop right now.

If I refrigerate the sponge, should I refrigerate by itself or with the dry layer of flour/yeast/dry milk sitting on top of it? And do I need to allow it additional time out of the refrigerator to reach room temperature again before finishing the recipe?

I've never had any kind of luck with bread without letting it get to 80-ish degrees while rising. I'd definitely recommend letting it warm up. Also, as a fellow bread-baking fan, could you post the recipe here?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah if you let your bread age in the fridge you definitely want to let it come back up to room temp or higher (I usually put mine in the oven with the light on, but my oven has a big rear end lightbulb in it).

Letting it sit in the fridge is actually a pretty common thing and develops a nice flavor, go for it.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I've made gyoza several times before and I've always left everything raw when I fill them. However, I've read several recipes that call for cooking the pork/veggie mixture before filling them. My gyoza always seem to come out fully cooked, but would they turn out better doing it the other way?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Why cook them beforehand? Would make it crumbly and you'd lose the juices sloshing around inside.

I have a pound of good okra I bought on a whim that I need to use today. Suggestions?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
On the other hand, you could fry the gyoza in those juices!

But yeah, I've never heard of that before...

Edit: Continuing the Japanese theme, okra tempura is pretty good. I've burnt myself way too many times biting into okra tempura though -- okra and eggplant are the Most Dangerous Tempura Vegetables.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I really like okra pickles. If you're one of the people that get put off by the slimy texture cooked okra can take on, pickling them pretty much gets rid of it.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
The obvious dish I can think of when I hear okra is Gumbo. That said, I've never had it or seen it made, so YMMV.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Sjurygg posted:

I have a pound of good okra I bought on a whim that I need to use today. Suggestions?

To quote a friend of mine raised in Georgia, "You can put okra in absolutely anything, so long as you cook the snot out of it."

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Sjurygg posted:

Fry some up. Fried Okra is the best.

Edit: :goonsay:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

oTHi posted:

The obvious dish I can think of when I hear okra is Gumbo. That said, I've never had it or seen it made, so YMMV.

Never made it either, but gumbo owns. You should make gumbo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Sinigang.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
First thing I thought of was the Vietnamese version, canh chua.

Minced garlic and thai chiles. 1/2 onion sliced.
5 cups or enough water and/or chicken broth to cover the fish
3/4 - 1 lb fish filets + head and tail if you have (my family likes salmon) cut into pieces
2 tb Tamarind soup base or tamarind pulp to taste.
fish sauce, sugar, salt to taste (will use more if using tamarind pulp, less if using soup base)
2 Tomatoes, sliced.
white part of green onion, cut into one inch lengths
1 cup okra
1 cup taro stem
2 cups Pineapple chunks
2 cups bean sprouts
Green part of green onion, cilantro, rice paddy herb (rau ngo or rau om), chopped. If you cannot find it toast a tiny bit of cumin with the aromatics.

Briefly fry up onion, garlic, and chiles until fragrant but not brown. Add tamarind paste if using, then liquid.

Bring to a simmer and add tamarind soup base, fish sauce, and salt to taste. Add fish tail and head and simmer for 15 minutes.

Then add the rest of the fish, tomatoes, green onion, okra, taro, and pineapple. Simmer for 15-20 minutes for the fish and vegetables to be cooked through. Taste and add any additonal fish sauce, salt, and sugar as needed.

About 5 minutes before everything is done add in the bean sprouts.

Immediately before serving, stir in the herbs. Serve over steamed rice.

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008
I'm making rib roast with a spiced coffee rub, and I'm looking for a side dish to set off the bitterness of the coffee. Any suggestions?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Anyone ever roasted a goat shoulder?

I've found a few recipes but was just curious if anyone had some first hand experience?

Was going to go for a Indian inspired dish and season it with curry powder and other various sides.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My mom and I just finished stuffing seven pounds of boerewors sausage for a South African wine tasting she's hosting. It smelled so good even raw, I'm sad I won't get to eat any.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Whats the best way to flavor chicken with lemon so that the flavor is even and penetrates the meat? At first I thought to add lemon juice to a brine but thought that exposing the meat to acid for that long might cook it like ceviche.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I've brined a full chicken in lemony brine before, it was fine.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Lemongrass tastes kind of lemony too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

divx posted:

Whats the best way to flavor chicken with lemon so that the flavor is even and penetrates the meat? At first I thought to add lemon juice to a brine but thought that exposing the meat to acid for that long might cook it like ceviche.

Use citrus peels -- the flavor is more in the peel than the juice. Avoid using the white pith, it's just gross.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Stuff thin slices of lemon under the skin and a half a lemon in the cavity, after bring it in a lemony brine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How would I make chicken stock in a slow cooker? Just toss everything in an put it on high for 8 hours?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't most of the stock making process letting water cook off? Most slow cookers can't hold a temp for poo poo with the lid off and with the lid on you'll never reduce the stock.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nah, you could do it that way and then reduce in a pot. Seems like making it unnecessarily complicated though, just do it all in the pot.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have some beansprouts, broccoli, baby corn, spring onions and green beans that I need to use up in the next couple of days. Other than some form of stir fry, does anyone have any ideas of what to make them into?

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
You could maybe make spring rolls with them? The veggies you have there aren't super traditional, but I'm sure they'd still work really well.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

What the hell is this thing.

She sent me to the store to buy a cucumber (not a zucchini) because we're trying to make tzaziki tonight. I came back with this goddamn thing from the shop (I'm in Italy and it was an Indian store) and I thought maybe it was some goddamn weird European or Indian cucumber variant but, cutting it in half, I realized it has nothing to do with cucumbers.

So what is it and what can be done with it? I don't think tzaziki will be on the menu.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
A bitter melon maybe? What does it taste like?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Yeah, that's a bitter melon.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Here is a cross-section:

I dunno if it is a bitter melon or not but the nuts taste kinda good as long as you take the shells off. There are way more nuts than fruit and they kinda taste like peanuts but the not-nut part doesn't taste like anything.

edit:

Doing an image search it is definitely a bitter melon. I guess I'll stop eating it raw and look up some recipes.

Thanks guys!

edit 2:

Do you think it would work in a pasta dish if we parboiled it first, and which vegetables can you mix it with?

baw fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 9, 2012

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Clever Gamma posted:

I'm making rib roast with a spiced coffee rub, and I'm looking for a side dish to set off the bitterness of the coffee. Any suggestions?

Coleslaw with a sweet vinegar base, no mayo. This recipe here is a pretty good one.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
If you didn't pick your okra recipe yet, there's a really good Turksih bamiye stew

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Thumposaurus posted:

Leave it in the bowl by itself covered with plastic wrap(shower caps work great!). You do want to let your sponge/starter/whatever warm back up to room temp before you use it or it will seriously affect your proofing times.

Never thought of that - thanks for the idea.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I've never had any kind of luck with bread without letting it get to 80-ish degrees while rising. I'd definitely recommend letting it warm up. Also, as a fellow bread-baking fan, could you post the recipe here?

The bread I made last weekend, which I very much enjoyed, is a cheddar bread:

Sponge:
180 grams flour
210 grams water
20 grams honey
1.5 grams yeast

Flour Mix:
160 grams flour
20 grams dry milk
1 gram yeast
115 grams grated cheese
28 grams softened butter
15 grams dijon mustard
7 grams salt

Mix the sponge, let it sit - I experimented with leaving it in the fridge overnight and it worked well - then mix with the flour mix. I gave it 2 rises and a final rise in the pan. It should fit into an 8x4x4 loaf pan pretty well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm looking for a good meatball recipe. Only caveat is it can't have veal in it per my wife's request.

For hamburgers I usually grind up some sirloin steak myself...should I do the same with meatballs or can I buy pre ground?

Actually, I might as well ask for a good meatloaf recipe while I'm here too...gotta try and make a bunch of recipes out of a few ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

nwin posted:

Actually, I might as well ask for a good meatloaf recipe while I'm here too...gotta try and make a bunch of recipes out of a few ingredients.

I use this recipe from America's Test Kitchen cookbook. It is very tasty, but does include veal with beef and pork.

Edit: this version of the recipe does not include veal. The one in the cookbook uses 2/3 pound each beef, veal and pork. It does suggest that if you can't / don't want veal, you can use 1 pound each ground sirloin (90% lean) and ground pork.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

LongSack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 11, 2012