Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

jivjov posted:

Just got a 60 mb patch for Shogun 2 with no patch notes. Anyone have any idea what got added/changed?

From CA:

Hi all,

Here's a few minor patch notes for today's little fix.

Fix for Co-operative Multiplayer Campaign victory conditions. The campaign will end when the victory conditions are met.
Increased the variant texture cache size on low, medium and high graphics settings to prevent bodies from twitching on the battle map.
Added DLC requirement string to Saints and Heroes unit tool tips in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Czech, Russian and Polish on the veteran selection screen.
The download bar will now show for clients when downloading user generated multiplayer battle maps.
Unit names will now appear correctly above the selected units in the unit stats roster in the battle lobby.
Desynchronisation / desync fix for Multiplayer Campaign.

Thanks,

CraigTW
The Creative Assembly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Motha'

fuckin'

screen shotttts

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I think we all know what the Roman guy in the middle is screaming.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think we all know what the Roman guy in the middle is screaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Every time this video is posted, I perform the strange ritual of slowly opening additional tab after tab of it until either my laughter gets to be too painful or my browser crashes due to lack of video memory.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Siets posted:

Every time this video is posted, I perform the strange ritual of slowly opening additional tab after tab of it until either my laughter gets to be too painful or my browser crashes due to lack of video memory.
I just did that and by god it was glorious

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I played the hell out of Med 1:Viking Invasion. Anyway to play that on a modern PC? I tried about a year ago, but no dice.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

bpower posted:

I played the hell out of Med 1:Viking Invasion. Anyway to play that on a modern PC? I tried about a year ago, but no dice.

I know Rome is usually everyonee's favorite but I played the hell out of this and Med 2 way more than any other total war game combined

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

bpower posted:

I think I played it a few years ago, can you set the .exe to run in windows 98 compatibility?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I know Rome is usually everyonee's favorite but I played the hell out of this and Med 2 way more than any other total war game combined

In my opinion the first Medieval was the best game in the series until Shogun 2 came along. I think Rome was massively more successful though just because it's easier to get non-history-nerds interested when it's not sprite-based.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

peer posted:

In my opinion the first Medieval was the best game in the series until Shogun 2 came along. I think Rome was massively more successful though just because it's easier to get non-history-nerds interested when it's not sprite-based.

I have to agree with this. Medieval might have been a simpler game, but I feel that a lot of the complexity added to Rome took it a step backwards (squalor, senate missions) and took some of the magic out of the battles by making the campaign more heavy, but in a clunky way.

It needed to be done, of course, without it we wouldn't have the culmination of all that improvement in Shogun 2 making it the first game that really has the same sort of baked in fun that Medieval had.

Chivalric Men at Arms for life. Honourary mention to Gothic Knights too!

az
Dec 2, 2005

bpower posted:

It requires some serious pc fuckery. Afaik you have to set your maximum available ram down to 2gb in your windows. Googling around for that should yield something.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Looking at the original MTW's age and system requirements, running it under VirtualBox might actually be easier than getting it to run natively if you have a good computer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

az posted:

It requires some serious pc fuckery. Afaik you have to set your maximum available ram down to 2gb in your windows. Googling around for that should yield something.

Come on GoG and CA, you know what you need to do.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Looking at the original MTW's age and system requirements, running it under VirtualBox might actually be easier than getting it to run natively if you have a good computer.
Virtual machines are an absolute godsend for running older games. If it weren't for DOSBox I'd be unable to play Master Of Orion II and that would be a truly terrible thing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

peer posted:

Yeah I'll definitely agree with that. It also helps that the battle and campaign ais took a bit of a tumble in the move to 3D that they only recently recovered from. I'd kill for a HD remake or even just one that smoothed over the interface issues and made it easier to run

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Has this been posted yet?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm trying to test out two different NTW mods to see which I like better. They both install poo poo ontop of the main folder and require a launcher to run. Is it possible to make a copy of my game so that I can install a mod on each copy, then swap them out in my steam folder?

Otherwise I have to reinstall napoleon and the mods (which are not user friendly) every time I want to change them out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

achillesforever6 posted:

"Will this be the game where CA finally gets the naval combat right?"

Good lord I hope so but just the thought of playing Total War naval engagement where the primary objective of both sides is to ram each other makes me want to vomit. Doubly so for multiplayer.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Holy gently caress yes.

Also, I'm glad they've (presumably) kept the uniform distinctions between the Pre-Marian and Post-Marian legions.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

"Will this be the game where CA finally gets the naval combat right?"

Good lord I hope so but just the thought of playing Total War naval engagement where the primary objective of both sides is to ram each other makes me want to vomit. Doubly so for multiplayer.
I hope you can fire bee hives on to the enemy ships :D

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

achillesforever6 posted:

I take issue with that caption. I thought the naval warfare in Empire and Napoleon were top notch and a hell of a lot of fun. I know they had issues (boarding was always wonky, wasn't it?), but it seemed like one of the more solid features in the two games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

brozozo posted:

I take issue with that caption. I thought the naval warfare in Empire and Napoleon were top notch and a hell of a lot of fun. I know they had issues (boarding was always wonky, wasn't it?), but it seemed like one of the more solid features in the two games.

Given how terrible both Shogun and FoTS's naval battles are, it's not a high bar. But yeah, I thought Napoleon in particular was very good.

The problem is that in Total War games Naval Warfare in general is little more than a way of spring-boarding armies across the map. And you can fit a full land stack on a dinky little corvette and get it from shore to shore without difficulty. And once the army is landed you don't need it anymore.

That all needs to change for ships to be worthwhile in Total War games.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

brozozo posted:

If it is UK PC Gamer, the guy who reviews them now is always the one constantly hinting that the series should move into the 2nd World War.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it is UK PC Gamer, the guy who reviews them now is always the one constantly hinting that the series should move into the 2nd World War.

But that wouldn't fit with the way Total War games play at all.

My main issue with naval poo poo was that fighting with the wind was kind of unfun and it could take way too long to fight even smaller engagements. The naval combat in Napoleon was pretty much good, though. It was fun as long as battles weren't too common.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Going to be the 3rd guy to agree that with that Napoleons sea battles were a lot more fun and balanced compared to Empire.

Shame about the Marines though.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Whenever I try to play my copy of Shogun 2 on Steam, it launches, then closes out with a little error box saying my copy is "corrupted" and that it's a common problem with pirated copies of the game. Thing is, I did not pirate it! I tried deleting my scripts folder / clientregistry.blob and verifying the integrity of the files, but it still pops up that error. Has anyone else gotten / fixed this bug?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Right click on the game entry on steam and go to Properties. Under Local Files click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Yeah, I tried that a couple of times, but it didn't seem to do anything at all. One thing I read suggested that I delete the scripts folder, then verify the integrity, but that didn't work either.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that in Total War games Naval Warfare in general is little more than a way of spring-boarding armies across the map. And you can fit a full land stack on a dinky little corvette and get it from shore to shore without difficulty. And once the army is landed you don't need it anymore.

That all needs to change for ships to be worthwhile in Total War games.
I felt that FOTS' naval bombardment made navies actually useful. Small armies could actually win battles against larger armies with naval support which made having navies quite useful. I know this won't be possible in Rome but they could perhaps make it so navies could supply your troops so they can reinforce in enemy territory. I would prefer if they allowed navies to have a much larger role.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Zettace posted:

I felt that FOTS' naval bombardment made navies actually useful. Small armies could actually win battles against larger armies with naval support which made having navies quite useful. I know this won't be possible in Rome but they could perhaps make it so navies could supply your troops so they can reinforce in enemy territory. I would prefer if they allowed navies to have a much larger role.

I'm not keeping the most up to date, so I'm kind of foggy on the specifics, but I'm pretty sure Rome is going to have some kind of hybrid land/sea battles thing going on.

E: Now that I've gotten off my lazy rear end and googled it, it looks like you'll be able to do landings using boats, along with the ranged support thing coming back from FotS. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it seems like a really cool idea to me.

Cakeequals fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 23, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

drat I wanted to start a new campaign in Europa Barbaroum and I realized how hard it was to start out as Egypt and the Seleucids than Rome.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

potaties posted:

Whenever I try to play my copy of Shogun 2 on Steam, it launches, then closes out with a little error box saying my copy is "corrupted" and that it's a common problem with pirated copies of the game. Thing is, I did not pirate it! I tried deleting my scripts folder / clientregistry.blob and verifying the integrity of the files, but it still pops up that error. Has anyone else gotten / fixed this bug?

I had the same problem continuously, ended up reinstalling the game and then only running it when steam was in offline modus, that seemed to fix it for me. Perhaps it's related to multiplayer security against mods/cheats or something.

If you're playing multiplayer you could also try and remove any mods you might have, even if they're only for campaign.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I managed to fix it by closing Steam, deleting both AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob, then going into Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Shogun2 and deleting the army_setups, battle_preferences, fx_cache, ui_cache, and Scripts folders, then re-verified the integrity of the install. Kind of a pain in the rear end but at least me and my buddy can finish our campaign now! :) Hopefully this helps anyone else out that has crashing issues.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I have a problem with Stainless Steel mod for M2TW. I have it saved on a battle, but if I win the battle the game crashes. Auto resolving loses every time and failure is not an option :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You could always use the "autowin" cheat. gently caress it man, the AI gets mad bonuses anyway, time to get even.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

My friend and I tried a multiplayer campaign (co-op) of FotS, and the lag was intolerable. We've experienced these issues both over LAN and WAN connections. Is there a fix for this?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Is it normal for TW games to get temperamental with hardware changes? I had to replace my monitor this week, and now when I want to play Napoleon or Shogun 2, my computer will occasionally lock up. It doesn't do this with other games, just the Total War ones. Any ideas?

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I have to reinstall Shogun 2 every other day because it not only refuses to move beyond the The Creative Assembly logo, but it crashes the whole computer with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dyatlov Bass posted:

I have to reinstall Shogun 2 every other day because it not only refuses to move beyond the The Creative Assembly logo, but it crashes the whole computer with it.

This sounds a lot like the soundcard driver issues that plagued N:TW. Try updating your soundcard drivers.