Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Turns out, though, Vincent makes a pretty decent mage and not a half bad standard attacker with Deathblow + Added Cut. Also this marks the first time I found a use for Deathblow.

Yeah some of his guns have like 255% accuracy or something ridiculous, so he can use it as a regular attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
When I was a kid I remember thinking that Vincent's Limit Break was amazing. After recently replaying the game I have to say no, it really isn't. It's quite bad.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

When I was a kid I remember thinking that Vincent's Limit Break was amazing. After recently replaying the game I have to say no, it really isn't. It's quite bad.

You were blinded by the "holy poo poo, I can turn into a goddamn demon" factor. Totally understandable.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

It was solid for a lot of the game, especially if you happened to use it on an enemy weak vs. the element being used. And it was just plain cool, but late in the game it was surpassed by virtually everything.

Another nice thing about deathblow/sniper rifle combo is you can keep attacking without needing to use his limit break until you want to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What I like about the Deathblow/Added Cut combo is you can give him any weapon you want, since a lot of his regular accuracy guns have a higher attack than the Sniper CR, and you always get at least a normal attack out of Deathblow. If the deathblow hits as well, that's a mighty fine bonus. And then towards the end you pick up the Long Barrel and things go downhill for the enemies quickly.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Stoat posted:

If you don't like slow battles, make sure you never summon a GF ever in ff8. God drat.

Seconded. Each summon is about as long as FFVII's KOTR.

Example: Eden.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Cyberbob posted:

By the time you get Eden, you should never need to summon anyway.

It was a classy touch by the video maker to have the boost drop to 75% halfway through and still get it back up to 250%. Eden was a truly ridiculous GF.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

My Lovely Horse posted:

Turns out, though, Vincent makes a pretty decent mage and not a half bad standard attacker with Deathblow + Added Cut. Also this marks the first time I found a use for Deathblow.
I'm surprised at that, I always used Deathblow as soon as I got it. Usually on Cloud since it looked like him doing his Braver limit break every time, and I could be wrong but it seemed to hit more often than not

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I once killed the Ruby Weapon with Vincent solo, no Knights of the Round. While I slept and went to class, took about 9 hours. True story. Some combination of counter, mime, fullcure, and Ultimax4. Just to be clear, I'm gay for Vincent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

p.crestmont posted:

I once killed the Ruby Weapon with Vincent solo, no Knights of the Round. While I slept and went to class, took about 9 hours. True story. Some combination of counter, mime, fullcure, and Ultimax4.

Incidentally, 4x Ultima probably animates more quickly than Knights of the Round, and it's not hard to bust him in thirty, forty minutes, so I'm not sure where you got this nine hours from. I went with quick reset until your non-main party members get Quicksanded, and then Final Attack + Phoenix + Master Summon (for infinite charges).

He's also the only enemy who's immune to All 7 Fever since he starts the battle in a state similar to Peerless.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 10, 2012

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

What I like about the Deathblow/Added Cut combo is you can give him any weapon you want, since a lot of his regular accuracy guns have a higher attack than the Sniper CR, and you always get at least a normal attack out of Deathblow. If the deathblow hits as well, that's a mighty fine bonus. And then towards the end you pick up the Long Barrel and things go downhill for the enemies quickly.

A while back I did a Tifa solo game and the endgame came down to pretty much this. With Deathblow-Added Cut and the Premium Heart with full Limit, I'd get a pair of free max/nearly so attacks for two Materia slots, leaving the rest for shenanigans (Quadra Magic-Ultima, really, as well as the requisite Barrier and such).

I just wish the cooler Materia weren't so rare. Getting Added Cut, Steal as Well, or blue Counter a lot earlier and getting multiples of the neater Commands (Steal, Deathblow, etc.) would have led to a lot more varied setups (Imagine, Cover with Counter-Deathblow) instead of the Limit Break/Magic/Summon/Enemy Skill frenzy that FF7 usually devolves into.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Trasson posted:

A while back I did a Tifa solo game and the endgame came down to pretty much this. With Deathblow-Added Cut and the Premium Heart with full Limit, I'd get a pair of free max/nearly so attacks for two Materia slots, leaving the rest for shenanigans (Quadra Magic-Ultima, really, as well as the requisite Barrier and such).

I just wish the cooler Materia weren't so rare. Getting Added Cut, Steal as Well, or blue Counter a lot earlier and getting multiples of the neater Commands (Steal, Deathblow, etc.) would have led to a lot more varied setups (Imagine, Cover with Counter-Deathblow) instead of the Limit Break/Magic/Summon/Enemy Skill frenzy that FF7 usually devolves into.

I've always thought the Premium Heart was near useless because of its gimmick but that's actually a decent strategy.

I still prefer the God's Hand for the most part though, since she gets perfect accuracy with it so can use Deathblow more reliabily.

Red makes one of the best Cover/Counter users early on in my opinion since the Seraph Comb trumps anything pre-Nail Bat (and has materia slots, to boot) pure power wise and Red's Limits are still somewhat decent (actually, his level 3 Limits aren't so bad if you give him a Peace Ring/Ribbon so he can use Howling Moon effectively).

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Incidentally, 4x Ultima probably animates more quickly than Knights of the Round, and it's not hard to bust him in thirty, forty minutes, so I'm not sure where you got this nine hours from. I went with quick reset until your non-main party members get Quicksanded, and then Final Attack + Phoenix + Master Summon (for infinite charges).

He's also the only enemy who's immune to All 7 Fever since he starts the battle in a state similar to Peerless.

Ultima was only taking off about 400 damage each shot, so 1,600 per turn (the first counter was fullcure so he couldn't 2 shot me), which was still the strongest thing I had except for some non elemental enemy skill that did like 7k but couldn't absorb hp/mp or counter.

I can't remember the exact details but I left it running overnight and checked on it before a 9am class and he was still going. Pretty sure this led to the early decline of my playstation.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

p.crestmont posted:

I once killed the Ruby Weapon with Vincent solo, no Knights of the Round. While I slept and went to class, took about 9 hours. True story. Some combination of counter, mime, fullcure, and Ultimax4. Just to be clear, I'm gay for Vincent.

A few years ago I killed Ruby with just Cloud in about 20 minutes, but that was me using KotR. I can't remember what the materia combination was. It was something like KotR with Counter and Drain? Cloud would counter every attack with KotR and heal himself for 9999 at the end of the counter. I simply put the controller down while I went to the kitchen to make something to eat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cyberbob posted:

FFIX did summons rights by having an extended summon animation when you first summoned an eidolon, and then a shortened animation that would play after that (though it would randomly play the extended animation on occasion).

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pablo Gigante posted:

FFIX did summons rights by having an extended summon animation when you first summoned an eidolon, and then a shortened animation that would play after that (though it would randomly play the extended animation on occasion).

I believe the length of the animations were completely random. The longer animation did the most damage, while the shorter one did fewer damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Correct. You could also equip an ability to always use the extended animation.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

A few years ago I killed Ruby with just Cloud in about 20 minutes, but that was me using KotR. I can't remember what the materia combination was. It was something like KotR with Counter and Drain? Cloud would counter every attack with KotR and heal himself for 9999 at the end of the counter. I simply put the controller down while I went to the kitchen to make something to eat.

Omnislash + counter/mime slotted 8 times. :smug:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

boblemoche posted:

Omnislash + counter/mime slotted 8 times. :smug:

Cardboard Fox posted:

These are much better, smarter ways to do it; the point was killing Ruby with Vincent and no KotR was much more difficult.

Since one of your rewards for beating Ruby is a gold chocobo (what you need to get KotR) it's like an implicit challenge to do it without using KotR.

And Omnislash is just sick.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cardboard Fox posted:

I believe the length of the animations were completely random. The longer animation did the most damage, while the shorter one did fewer damage.

Fister Roboto posted:

Correct. You could also equip an ability to always use the extended animation.
Hoisted by my own petard :negative:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

p.crestmont posted:

These are much better, smarter ways to do it; the point was killing Ruby with Vincent and no KotR was much more difficult.

Since one of your rewards for beating Ruby is a gold chocobo (what you need to get KotR) it's like an implicit challenge to do it without using KotR.

And Omnislash is just sick.

You know, one day I think I'll try beating the 2 weapons without using any game breaking abilities. No KotR, Mime, or Omnislash. Just a straight up battle. I think I'll be able to take down Ruby quite easily, but Emerald still has that annoying 9999 AE attack. Any idea if Wall reduces that damage to make it survivable, or are you pretty much reliant on final attack revive?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

You know, one day I think I'll try beating the 2 weapons without using any game breaking abilities. No KotR, Mime, or Omnislash. Just a straight up battle. I think I'll be able to take down Ruby quite easily, but Emerald still has that annoying 9999 AE attack. Any idea if Wall reduces that damage to make it survivable, or are you pretty much reliant on final attack revive?

Isn't that attack based on the total number of equipped materia? Like 500 dmg x Total Number of Equipped Materia or am I thinking of another Emerald Weapon attack?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Theatrhythm is making me want to replay FF6 for the first time in well over a decade. I will probably just get the SNES version on the Wii's virtual console, but is there a compelling reason to try to find the GBA version instead?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pablo Gigante posted:

I was very thankful for the usually short animations in FF9, but FF9 did summons wrong by giving you, like, all of them at once. Don't you get Leviathan before Ifrit and Shiva, despite the damage hierarchy being the same as always?

Mountaineer posted:

Theatrhythm is making me want to replay FF6 for the first time in well over a decade. I will probably just get the SNES version on the Wii's virtual console, but is there a compelling reason to try to find the GBA version instead?

GBA version has a proofread script, a couple worthless new Espers and a lovely bonus dungeon along with severely downgraded music. Oh, and I guess they fixed the evade bug so that 'blind' works now. I personally would go with the SNES version.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

I think the GBA version has the Evade bug fixed. I've been unable to decide whether that makes me want to pick it over the original for my next replay for quite some time now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Forget all that and play Awful Fantasy instead. You know the story and the music is still in there and enemies that were annoying just die instantly now. Little tough to get the chainsaw unless you're up on your Something Awful history.

The GBA version has worse sound but it fixes a lot of bugs and makes minor changes. If its easier to get the SNES version there's no real need to hunt down a GBA for a huge quality upgrade.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's a mod on romhacking.net that improves the sound quality, if that's your thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The GBA version is better because it fixes the bugs and adds more content.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Emerald was actually a lot easier because Gravity spells work on him (9999 damage even on low level gravity)and won't kill the "eyes" which I believe is what triggers the deathblast thing (when all eyes are destroyed, he does it). You can tell when a part is getting low hp once the gravity spell does less than 9999 damage.

So you can hook up Gravity to Hp and Mp absorb, 4x cast and just go wild. Then Kill all but one of the eyes with regular damage attacks and start hitting the body.

I did finish him off with Omnislash though, but it's doable without it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Barudak posted:

Isn't that attack based on the total number of equipped materia? Like 500 dmg x Total Number of Equipped Materia or am I thinking of another Emerald Weapon attack?

Correct. The name of that attack is "Aire Tam Storm". It was nevertheless a few months after the game's release before the FAQ writers clued in to the mirrored text in the attack name that totally gives away what its damage is based on. I remember figuring it out myself before the info showed up in FAQs and having my teenage self feel very smug about that. (My adult self still feels mildly smug about that.)

Damage formula is 1111 x number of equipped materia, calculated on a character by character basis. 9 or more materia per character and it'll do 9999 to the whole party, but if you can go in with a slim but efficient materia setup, you can easily live through it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bonaventure posted:

I was very thankful for the usually short animations in FF9, but FF9 did summons wrong by giving you, like, all of them at once. Don't you get Leviathan before Ifrit and Shiva, despite the damage hierarchy being the same as always?

Well, yes. You do get Leviathan earlier, but you don't get into any battles before getting Ifrit, Shiva and Atomos. The next dungeon you're likely to use Dagger in has a boss weak to Water, so there's no downside in learning Leviathan first and never using those 3 ever when you have Vivi.

You might end up using Shiva on Shell Dragon and Atomos on Yans, but the only fight I think where you'd use Ifrit over Firaga would be Meltigemini, and only because Vivi isn't there. You could use Ifrit against Taharaka, but you can just Heat that boss with Quina.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
FF9 is my favorite, but its one major flaw is that most of your abilities are useless because a) their use is mostly situational and b) the game is easy as balls. There's never any reason to use Vivi's Water spell, or most of Steiner's sword skills or the majority of Quina's Blue Magic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Star Platinum posted:

FF9 is my favorite, but its one major flaw is that most of your abilities are useless because a) their use is mostly situational and b) the game is easy as balls. There's never any reason to use Vivi's Water spell, or most of Steiner's sword skills or the majority of Quina's Blue Magic.

Valia Pira is the first boss after you can get Water, and it's weak to Water.

As for Steiner, most of his skills are pretty meh, but he has 3 great damage skills, and both Darkside and Charge! have situational uses. Iai Strike also has an absurdly high accuracy for an Instant Death move. So it's mostly just the Break skills and Thunder Slash.

As for Quina... yeah, no argument. The only ones you'd be using at the end of the game are Frog Drop, White Wind, Angel's Snack, Auto-Life, and possibly Earth Shake/Twister/Vanish/Mighty Guard, all of which can be done by Eiko better.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

p.crestmont posted:

:)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Bonaventure posted:

It's a lot easier to get the gems necessary to power up Shiva and Ifrit than it is to get Aquamarines to power up Leviathan, though. Element also matters as much as raw power in FF9 as well, and a hell of a lot more enemies are weak to Ice or Fire than Water.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Making headway in FFV Advance now, just got past Galuf's death, which I thought was at least a more interesting death than some of the more well-known deaths in the series.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna have much trouble with the rest of the game. I found the place underneath Bal Castle with a bunch of statues that respond to Level 5 Death and give 8ABP and maxed out a couple of jobs. Lenna is a powerhouse black-and-white Mage with Dualcast, and I put Dual Wield and Rapid Fire on Faris and now she just murders everything. I was kind of disappointed Twin Lances don't work with that combo.

Gilgamesh is my favourite :)

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

On a similar note, I've been playing through FFIV Advance. Is the extra dungeon that opens up after you beat the boss worth running through?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a somewhat similar note, I'm interested in playing FF Tactics War of the Lions because it's apparently an update of PS1's Tactics and I never got to play that title. Is War of the Lions a good update or should I just look for a copy of PS Tactics?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I got FFX International setup and now I'm kind of wondering if I should bother with the expert sphere grid, because I think I'd probably put everyone down their default paths anyways. Though I guess there's slightly less stat gains so it'd work as a sort of slighty-harder difficulty for this replay. Also I guess I could make Kimahri only pretty bad instead of terrible.

Seriously how did they gently caress up blue magic this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pasteurized Milk posted:

On a similar note, I've been playing through FFIV Advance. Is the extra dungeon that opens up after you beat the boss worth running through?

That depends. If you've really enjoyed FFIV to that point, the bonus dungeon is more content that does some interesting (if short) mechanical stuff and gives you an excuse to play around with old party members again. Nothing in it is amazing or essential though.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

On a somewhat similar note, I'm interested in playing FF Tactics War of the Lions because it's apparently an update of PS1's Tactics and I never got to play that title. Is War of the Lions a good update or should I just look for a copy of PS Tactics?

War of the Lions is pretty much inarguably better except for some slowdown-type lag that pops up sometimes, including not having the PS1 loadtimes of the original. There's a fix for the slowdown, at least in the PSP version.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 11, 2012