Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Elotana posted:

Since AJ's rank 5 passive is bugged, in effect the last evolution will cost you 11 skill points, which isn't really worth it. As a result, the default AJ build is 6/6/4/4/6
Oh poo poo yeah, I did read the OP but forgot about that part since I didn't really care about Justicars at that point.
I didn't wanna forgo Pull completely because, while situational, it IS quite useful in neutering Guardians. And a primer for BEs, albeit only on unshielded enemies.
Anyways, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll actually give her a try someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wait, people actually get pull? Like, ever? I thought the defining way to run AJA was 6/6/0/6/6 even with the rank 5 bug.

Reave is awesome, so use something fairly lightweight like a carnifex. I use a disciple, mostly because I like the look of the thing and I do very little shooting anyway. Reave, reave, reave. If you're not making dubstep, you're doing something wrong. ABW = always be wubbing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I go for 3 ranks in Pull just to control the smaller troops, or larger ones once you get their shields off. It almost never gets used (mainly when I press 3 on impulse trying to use Throw instead) but it has situational benefits. I have the Harrier at a decent level so I play my AJ as a combat/biotic class: lay down Warp specced Bubbles at chokepoints and fire the Harrier in between Reave cooldowns.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

This... this is the best. This is the best thing. This is also the best thing.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Pull really isn't that bad, especially if you get Area Pull at rank 4. I wouldn't go higher than that on a Justicar, because the main point is Bubble and Reave, but on my Drell Adept I take it to 6 for bigger explosions. When you're opportunistic, you'd be surprised at how often you can pull and explode.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Pull is good because it's cooldown has a base of 4 seconds and it does everything you need it to do with only 3-4 ranks. Area pull is actually really handy for finishing off marauders and poo poo. It's not bad for finishing phantoms off either since the low cooldown means you can spam until they drop their biotic shield.

Also you can use pull on shielded enemies it does a little bit of damage and staggers them. It can save your rear end when a centurian is shooting you, it also makes killing Nemesis a lot easier when you can keep staggering them.

There is not a single character in the game that is improved by skipping pull.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I like pull with area pull selected. It's pretty useful because it will lift the unshielded targets standing next to the shielded target even if you accidentally target him by accident.

English.

But yes, I'm finding that a 66644 or some variation of that is my favored build for most classes, especially the N7s. Their active skills are usually so good that I only get 4 in the passives. Except Devastator. gently caress the missile launcher.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if its because I specced Missile Launcher on the Destroyer this time around, but even at rank 4, I'm finding that the Missile Launcher is at least hitting enemies. I even saw it go around cover to hit someone, but I'll have to play with it more to be certain.

Just found a new kind of FBW/G/G method for N7 characters that actually worked pretty well. Two Shadows with Electric Slash, and one Demolisher with grenades specced to take out shields and armor. The 4th person is optional, but I would go with either a SalEng, an Adept, or even another Shadow with Electric Slash. With the range upgrade on Electric Slash, it goes REALLY far, and since you're fighting Geth, the Electric Slash should stun them long enough to either die or get shot by the Demolisher. With Arch Grenades, you can take down Prime's shields really fast with the other guys spamming Electric Slash, and Homing Missile specced for armor damage pretty much melts them too. Plus with at least 2 Shadows, 4-point Objectives shouldn't be too hard.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I specced my Justicar 6/6/4/4/6 and played a couple matches. I did pretty well, but she just wasn't all that exciting to play.

Switched to the BatSol after that, and had a jolly good time shotgunning and falcon-punching poo poo in the face. Although oftentimes the light melee one-two-three shotgun bludgeon combo is quicker with mooks and also very drat satisfying.
Which reminds me, is there any love here for the Wraith shotgun? Don't think I've seen anyone mention it, but I find it a pretty drat good gun. Gave it to my BatSol with a bayonet and high-caliber barrel, and it really wrecks poo poo. As a bonus it's pretty drat light.

Then in the lobby I noticed an N7 Fury joined my game, so I switched to my own Fury, and welp

:shepface:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Nordick posted:

Which reminds me, is there any love here for the Wraith shotgun?

The Wraith owns and is my gun of choice when I'm punching dudes in the face with my Batarians or headbutting them into oblivion with my krogan Sentinel. It's been collecting dust since the Piranha hit the scene, but it'll be maxed out on the off chance I get two more upgrades for it. Gonna have to give it another go for the Operation this weekend.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nordick posted:

Well I specced my Justicar 6/6/4/4/6 and played a couple matches. I did pretty well, but she just wasn't all that exciting to play.

Switched to the BatSol after that, and had a jolly good time shotgunning and falcon-punching poo poo in the face. Although oftentimes the light melee one-two-three shotgun bludgeon combo is quicker with mooks and also very drat satisfying.
Which reminds me, is there any love here for the Wraith shotgun? Don't think I've seen anyone mention it, but I find it a pretty drat good gun. Gave it to my BatSol with a bayonet and high-caliber barrel, and it really wrecks poo poo. As a bonus it's pretty drat light.

Then in the lobby I noticed an N7 Fury joined my game, so I switched to my own Fury, and welp

:shepface:

This is the thing with the AJ. It is about the most unexciting class to play imaginable, you don't actually score a lot of kills on your own, but you are absolutely a force multiplier. A good AJ will increase the team's survivability threefold*. A great example is when SciFiDownBeat and I get together - if he's AJ, I'm either Batsent with invinci-punch, or Slayer with ALL THE EXPLOSIONS. While the AJ may not be the flashiest or deadliest class, it adds SO MUCH to everyone around it.

*I may have pulled this number out of my rear end

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone know about a problem with actually connecting to anyone in game? If I make my own game, nobody ever connects. If I quick match, it's set to endlessly searching. It was working perfectly fine when I played the game last, which was way back in the geth/batarian dlc era. I've re-installed Origin, ME3, reset my router and all that nonsense, but nothing works.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anyone know about a problem with actually connecting to anyone in game? If I make my own game, nobody ever connects. If I quick match, it's set to endlessly searching. It was working perfectly fine when I played the game last, which was way back in the geth/batarian dlc era. I've re-installed Origin, ME3, reset my router and all that nonsense, but nothing works.

Have you downloaded all the DLC that got released since (the most recent being the Earth DLC)?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Burning Mustache posted:

Have you downloaded all the DLC that got released since (the most recent being the Earth DLC)?

I have. Apparently it's an issue with some friends server nonsense. My friend list is perpetually loading.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wait, people actually get pull? Like, ever? I thought the defining way to run AJA was 6/6/0/6/6 even with the rank 5 bug.

On one hand, there's Reave, as you said.

On the other, it ensures your squad vaporizes that rear end in a top hat Centurion, or at least ensures he's out of cover/has stopped firing at you for the time being.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Reave is awesome, so use something fairly lightweight like a carnifex. I use a disciple, mostly because I like the look of the thing and I do very little shooting anyway. Reave, reave, reave. If you're not making dubstep, you're doing something wrong. ABW = always be wubbing.

That's how I run mine and I wreck poo poo. I've played it too much to bother adding pull into the playstyle.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

JackMackerel posted:

On one hand, there's Reave, as you said.

On the other, it ensures your squad vaporizes that rear end in a top hat Centurion, or at least ensures he's out of cover/has stopped firing at you for the time being.

Reave staggers, too, hits instantly, and gives you damage resistance. Everything Pull does, other than make near-dead guys float, is done by Reave.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Schubalts posted:

Reave staggers, too, hits instantly, and gives you damage resistance. Everything Pull does, other than make near-dead guys float, is done by Reave.

I like helping that random armor pierceless guy getting tanked by a lone Guardian out a bit. But I only do that with the Justicar, Drells just Cluster the fucker(s).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Schubalts posted:

is done by Reave.

At twice the cooldown.

Also noone is advocating not taking Reave, or is saying that pull is better then Reave. Having pull at 3 or 4 is better than having an extra 10% weapon damage.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Are we sure the Justicar rank 5 passive doesn't actually do anything? Yeah the powers screen doesn't show any added damage but we all know that screen lies. Seems like it would be a difficult thing to test but has anybody done it?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Wait is the headshot bonus broken too? I thought it was just the power damage option which is no great loss as AA is the most weapon focused of the adepts anyway.

Also defense or attack for the bubble? Is one option definitively better?

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 10, 2012

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
Radius at Rank 4, Warp Effect at Rank 6 is standard. Rank 5 is your call, but I say go for damage, since Warp Effect is so good you'll want to use it offensively anyways. There might be some pretty synergy going for pure defense and shield recharge, now that there's also shield recharge gear, but setting up your own biotic detonations tends to be the preference.

And the two Bubble things to remember, while we're at it:
- You can't cast the bubble if you're targeting an enemy
- You can detonate biotic explosions with the initial cast of the bubble. So you can do two explosions in a row with Reave->close range Bubble->Reave

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
Hello new ME3 MP thread!

I haven't played in ages so I've missed out an explanation on the new gear slot. Are they one-time expendables or equippable permanent lasting perks? I haven't used any yet because I didn't want to waste the good ones.

I've unlocked the N7 fury and N7 Demolisher and they've both been pretty fun. I don't have a huge array of N7 weapons so I've been using the Striker assault rifle and spamming shells with a big clip size and it seems pretty effective at battering things to pieces, and it doesn't surprise me to hear the Pirahna is too good because drat that gun does a tonne of damage.

The Fury is also ace fun for me because I like biotic classes. Being able to set up so many biotic combos at point blank range is absolutely amazing!

I think when people I play with unlock demolishers I'll have to get my Asari Justicar out again. Shield bubbles all day to make those dudes even tougher. Crazy stuff!

Oh that reminds me...Is gold much easier to do now? I never used to enjoy it because it was FBW/Geth and camping in some little corner. I'd like to think my classes are decently optimised, but probably not because I'm not using an infiltrator specced for headshot and sniper damage? I'm curious about how doable gold is these days with a bunch of level 20s?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

duffath posted:

Hello new ME3 MP thread!

I haven't played in ages so I've missed out an explanation on the new gear slot. Are they one-time expendables or equippable permanent lasting perks? I haven't used any yet because I didn't want to waste the good ones.

I've unlocked the N7 fury and N7 Demolisher and they've both been pretty fun. I don't have a huge array of N7 weapons so I've been using the Striker assault rifle and spamming shells with a big clip size and it seems pretty effective at battering things to pieces, and it doesn't surprise me to hear the Pirahna is too good because drat that gun does a tonne of damage.

The Fury is also ace fun for me because I like biotic classes. Being able to set up so many biotic combos at point blank range is absolutely amazing!

I think when people I play with unlock demolishers I'll have to get my Asari Justicar out again. Shield bubbles all day to make those dudes even tougher. Crazy stuff!

Oh that reminds me...Is gold much easier to do now? I never used to enjoy it because it was FBW/Geth and camping in some little corner. I'd like to think my classes are decently optimised, but probably not because I'm not using an infiltrator specced for headshot and sniper damage? I'm curious about how doable gold is these days with a bunch of level 20s?

1. It's a little confusing because they have similiar names, but the actual equipment is reusable, levels up just like gun mods. They'll disappear from your slot sometimes, but it's just unequipped, not gone.

2. Gold is harder than it used to be, but that's balanced by some outrageous class and guns. Generally do Gold instead of Silver because Silver attracts the worst pubbies. I still routinely wipe on Gold if it's with a bad group.

With a good group, it's pretty doable, so just try it. Demolisher and Justicar are good learners characters for Gold because you don't need to amazing execution with them unlike the Fury. Just having the bubble or a vending machine down justifies 75% of your existence. Justicars are especially useful in providing protection for 3/5 of the missions.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

duffath posted:

Hello new ME3 MP thread!

Gear items are permanent, so there's absolutely no reason to leave the Gear slot empty at any time.

duffath posted:

Not per se, but some of the classes and guns that have been introduced in the recent DLCs are just plain powerful and you might have an easier time with them on Gold than with certain other classes, but a really terrible pubbie team can and will still find ways to gently caress up anything that's not FBW/G/G farming (and even that, sometimes).
In general Gold is still completely viable even with launch classes, and if you have a terrible team it's still easy to lose even with 4 N7 Destroyers or what have you, so it still depends on your team more than anything.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

duffath posted:

Gold has gotten easier now, especially with the new classes and Gear slot. If your team can spam biotic combos then you've already improved your odds at Gold greatly. In general, Gold farming is still FBW/G/G, but if you want an intense farming experience, do Glacier/Cerberus/Platinum, and even though you're hiding in one room, it gets crazy intense.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gear is permanent equipment that is upgradeable to 5 levels. Re: Gold, Cerberus have gotten a bunch of health and shield buffs but the only real threats they have are still Phantoms and Turrets. Geth are plagued with bugs that make them do things like fire volleys of three rockets, ignore crowd control powers and are just in general still no fun to play. Gold Reapers are largely untouched except for Banshees activating their power immunity shield more often.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

duffath posted:

Hello new ME3 MP thread!

The new gear slot items are permanent, so you can use them as much as you like.

Gold success is still dependent on a good team. I play on the Xbox and lately I've had more successful runs lately than before with random servers, but I've also been playing with a few goons and other people I found with mics by joining pub matches. For me, it also just comes down to practice and having a plan, so no random map/enemy combos unless you got a good team with well rounded character load-outs.

Edit for original content: Can anyone tell me the best way to use the Revenant? I love its rate of fire, but it just doesn't seem to do much for me. I know many people love it, but perhaps I'm just not putting it on the right character or using the right consumables. I tried it on the Turian soldier and the Destroyer with maxed stability and rate of fire.

Krampus Grewcock fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 10, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

KidKrampus posted:

Edit for original content: Can anyone tell me the best way to use the Revenant? I love its rate of fire, but it just doesn't seem to do much for me. I know many people love it, but perhaps I'm just not putting it on the right character or using the right consumables. I tried it on the Turian soldier and the Destroyer with maxed stability and rate of fire.

Hold down fire button with Marksman or Devastator Mode active. Become Rambo. Repeat as necessary.

Extended barrel is your best friend, and his buddy magazine size will want to come along. Turians don't need stability mods, and Destroyer can do fine without them, too. Piercing mods or ammo also go well with the Revenant.

The Revenant and Typhoon are all about filling the air with bullets. So many bullets.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

KidKrampus posted:

You've used it on the right characters, but really the Typhoon is basically a better Revenant. If you've played around with the Typhoon lately that may be why you're not too chuffed with the Revenant. It's still a good gun (as long as you know not to try moving while firing unless you're a certain race(s?), but it's been made mostly obsolete by the ultra-rare if you can get even a Typhoon I.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

If you want to play gold without farming Geth try Cerberus/Glacier you'll tend to find good pubbie groups speed running it. Stick with the group and you should be fine.

KidKrampus posted:

Can anyone tell me the best way to use the Revenant? I love its rate of fire, but it just doesn't seem to do much for me. I know many people love it, but perhaps I'm just not putting it on the right character or using the right consumables. I tried it on the Turian soldier and the Destroyer with maxed stability and rate of fire.

I like the Revenant but it's not a very good gun. I used to run it on my Turian Sentinel with stability and scope mods and AP ammo. It was great against Geth before they patched out prime headshots. It's still fun for goofing around with a bizarro sniper rifle and you can make it work on gold but it's not great.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I've had pretty good success using it with an Asari Justicar. I normally put the stability mod and armor piercing on the mods. Alternately if I have a stability amp, I will put that on and use the extended barrel.

I've been meaning to try it on my recently acquired Destroyer but I've been trying to mess around to see if the Prothean Rifle can be viable or not.

The thing with Assault Rifles is that they really shine with Ammo mods slapped on.

Cryo Ammo + Revenant pretty much freezes or slows everything in your field of view.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sniper-infiltrators took a huge nerfing anyway, so that's not really the best bet for Gold these days. Actually it's a lot more balanced than it used to be. Vanguards don't work all that well on Gold but just about everything else works quite naturally now. Real weapons are also actually useful now instead of pistols ruling everything, although they didn't so much buff the real weapons as a class, rather they added some really powerful ARs and shotguns in the latest DLCs.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Vanguards are OK on gold. The Slayer, Krogan Battlemaster, and Ex-Cerberus all work well on gold. The others are doable as well even if they're not optimal.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
I posted a bit ago about trying for a shotgun-based Human Sentinel. Results so far: Use the Eviscerator, no question. The quick reload is the big thing. The Eviscerator lets you do Warp->shoot->Throw and reload during Throw's itsy bitsy cooldown, so you can start staggering things again asap. The cooldown on Eviscerator X is beautifully low as well, so the armored-asari-adept approach is viable still. I think I should be tossing this thing on all my adepts, though HS's maxed fitness and TA definitely helps you feel like a gymnast Krogan.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Felinoid posted:

You've used it on the right characters, but really the Typhoon is basically a better Revenant. If you've played around with the Typhoon lately that may be why you're not too chuffed with the Revenant. It's still a good gun (as long as you know not to try moving while firing unless you're a certain race(s?), but it's been made mostly obsolete by the ultra-rare if you can get even a Typhoon I.

I really wish I had a Typhoon, it looks like a blast to use. Until I unlock one, I guess I'll stick with the Harrier on my Destroyer and stick close to ammo boxes. Yesterday I slapped some warp ammo on it and just mowed down Phantoms on Gold like a mofo. I mean, the Harrier is normally great on anyone, but with the Turians and the Destroyer it seems to do about the same or more damage to armor as my post-nerf Piranha.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Vanguards are OK on gold. The Slayer, Krogan Battlemaster, and Ex-Cerberus all work well on gold. The others are doable as well even if they're not optimal.

Naturally with the provision that you host. Well, the kroguard can maybe get away with off-host, but why take that chance? (Unless there are two vanguards in the group, but half vanguards is kinda eeeeeeeh.)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If you want to get away with playing Vanguard off-host on PC give this a try, especially if you play odd hours:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/12567065/1

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KidKrampus posted:

I really wish I had a Typhoon, it looks like a blast to use. Until I unlock one, I guess I'll stick with the Harrier on my Destroyer and stick close to ammo boxes. Yesterday I slapped some warp ammo on it and just mowed down Phantoms on Gold like a mofo. I mean, the Harrier is normally great on anyone, but with the Turians and the Destroyer it seems to do about the same or more damage to armor as my post-nerf Piranha.

You'll be burning through ammo like no one's business with a Typhoon, don't be mistaken. It's not really worse than the Harrier, but it isn't like your ammo problems will go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Felinoid posted:

Naturally with the provision that you host. Well, the kroguard can maybe get away with off-host, but why take that chance? (Unless there are two vanguards in the group, but half vanguards is kinda eeeeeeeh.)

Agreed, The only time I play Vanguard without hosting is for all Kroguard comedy runs.

• Locked thread