Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The Typhoon uses two ammo per shot once it ramps up, so the Revenant is still the best bullet hose, unless you want to slap a heat sink on the Tempest or the Geth SMG.

I've actually switched from the Typhoon to the Revenant on my Destroyer. There's a bit of an accuracy hit, but for non-farming games I really appreciate the Revenant's lack of a spin-up time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I actually like using a Phaeston with my Destroyer now instead of the Harrier. With Piercing and either Extended Barrel or Extended Thermal Clip Capacity, it works decent enough with all the extra weapon damage from the passive and Devastator mode. Plus I don't have to run for an ammo box every 15 seconds.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vietnamwees posted:

I actually like using a Phaeston with my Destroyer now instead of the Harrier. With Piercing and either Extended Barrel or Extended Thermal Clip Capacity, it works decent enough with all the extra weapon damage from the passive and Devastator mode. Plus I don't have to run for an ammo box every 15 seconds.
I've been using a Phaeston as my Destroyer's "not in Piranha range" weapon, and even at just rank 5 it's been working pretty well. I use a stabilizer and extended barrel, and leave armor to the Piranha and grenades. Nemeses that are close to you and constantly jumping around can be a little tricky, though, and you may need to just grenade them.

Speaking of the grenades, I've noticed something weird. Normally when I kill someone with them, it says "Frag Grenade." But when I severely damaged a turret, then had to retreat and let it eventually blew up on its own, the notification said "Multi-frag Grenade."

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Going back to the "gently caress Pull, no Pull is awesome" debate, doesn't it prime BEs? I may be remembering this incorrectly, since I haven't played as a Drell since launch, but I swear I was doing BEs with Pull->Reave.

Gonna go test this.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yes pull primes Biotic Combos but only when used on unshielded and unarmored enemies. Also I'm strongly in the pro-pull camp and I wouldn't call it awesome. It's situationally useful enough to be better than 10% weapon damage though.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Yes pull primes Biotic Combos but only when used on unshielded and unarmored enemies. Also I'm strongly in the pro-pull camp and I wouldn't call it awesome. It's situationally useful enough to be better than 10% weapon damage though.
Do you really use pull more than you fire nine bullets?

I'm really honestly curious on that bit. I've never even played Drell Adept and I'm missing a few levels on that class.

Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012
So I decided I wanted to try Vanguard out again for some biotic charging fun times. Then I remembered why I don't play that class anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoMcs4AJzA

How is this still not fixed after all this time?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Even if you have a way to pierce their shields, Pull is usually gonna put those smug fucker Guardians in their place way quicker than 10% weapon damage. That in itself makes it worth it.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Paracelsus posted:

I've been using a Phaeston as my Destroyer's "not in Piranha range" weapon, and even at just rank 5 it's been working pretty well. I use a stabilizer and extended barrel, and leave armor to the Piranha and grenades. Nemeses that are close to you and constantly jumping around can be a little tricky, though, and you may need to just grenade them.
Phaeston X and Piranha X are my go-to guns for Demolisher and Destroyer. And on some maps the Piranha gets used 0 - 3 times total.

Phaeston is really underrated, I think, because it does nothing spectacularly. It just happens to do everything relatively well for relatively little weight.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Sighence posted:

I'm really honestly curious on that bit. I've never even played Drell Adept and I'm missing a few levels on that class.

If you are doing it right, yes. Being able to set up your own biotic combos is invaluable.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

Phaeston X and Piranha X are my go-to guns for Demolisher and Destroyer. And on some maps the Piranha gets used 0 - 3 times total.

Phaeston is really underrated, I think, because it does nothing spectacularly. It just happens to do everything relatively well for relatively little weight.

Weight doesn't really matter on a Demolisher or Destroyer, though. I use a Revenant personally and it's pretty good with lots of ammo to spare.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Doflamingo posted:

Weight doesn't really matter on a Demolisher or Destroyer, though. I use a Revenant personally and it's pretty good with lots of ammo to spare.
It's not nearly as good as the Phaeston at longer ranges, though. With a stability mod, the Phaeston is really precise and will let you headshot consistently.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Biotic Combos on trash don't do much damage though, since according to this thread a BC's damage is a function of the enemy's maximum health? If it's not trash you usually can't lift it.

I keep Pull around for Guardians, and occasionally to fish some annoying fucker out of cover.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Sighence posted:

If you're going for "overall damage output" then the gunnery bonus would be preferable. However, Pull has a few niche applications which justify its inclusion:
  • Guardians. You can play "my Talon is better than your Talon" with them, but their slow movement speed means that they tend to act as the nucleus for a small group of infantry. Pull > Pull > Reave can inflict a lot of damage, and it works even when you're the only biotic on the team.
    • this is even more useful on Platinum, because you can find Guardians alongside valuable targets such as Hunters. A single Biotic Explosion won't kill them, but it will interrupt their approach and drop their cloak (prompting your teammates to gun them down).
  • opportunistic indirect fire. Any time you see a red bar at the top of your screen, you can jerk your aim upwards, press "3", and hope for the best. Play Justicar long enough and this becomes instinctive.
  • if someone gets blindsided by a Husk, then they're going to spend the next five seconds running through the melee animation while getting shot by Marauders and Ravagers. On high difficulty levels, that's a death sentence. If you shoot the Husk then the animation often continues anyhow (they'll just stomp an empty space). Pull ends the animation and puts your teammate back in the action.
  • you're running around blindly on a hack-4 mission and turn a corner to find a pair of assault troopers in your face. Two uses of Pull will usually incapacitate both of them; you can then proceed to your destination without getting shot in the back.
  • an Infiltrator revives you in a location that's still swarming with enemy infantry. Biotic Sphere > Reave seems like the obvious answer, but the Sphere doesn't reliably interrupt enemies' melee attack animations (and the Sphere animation itself is interruptible), so you often end up flailing around for a few stunlocked seconds before taking another dirtnap. If there's an unshielded enemy nearby, then Pull > Sphere gives you a better chance of escape (because Pull does consistently supercede enemies' melee attack animations, and a melee-striking enemy can't dodge).
  • confusing Phantoms. Reave will not stagger an approaching Phantom, and the timing on Biotic Sphere is quite tricky (since the Phantom's melee attack will ignore/interrupt it if you're a split-second late). Toss a Pull at her, regardless of whether she has Health showing; she'll stop advancing, flip-dodge, and (usually) activate her shield. You can now fire off a few shots or retreat to a defensible spot and then ambush her as she approaches.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

So, I'm trying to figure out good builds for the batsol and the vorcha soldier. Is Carnage worth going 6/6/6/4/4, or 6/6/3/5/6 better? And I have no idea about ballistic blades & blade armor for the batsol. I usually play vanguard, so this is weird. :ohdear:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Finally got a Destroyer :woop:

Don't have a Harrier or Typhoon :smith:

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

KingShiro posted:

I'd take a Revenant over a Harrier on the Destroyer anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KingShiro posted:

I have both guns, but no Destroyer. :(

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

KingShiro posted:

If you've got a Revenant, spec Devastator mode for accuracy and ROF and slap piercing and damage mods on it. Put full weapon damage in the passive and now it lives up to its ME2 counterpart.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 10, 2012

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I finally got an N7 Paladin, and am having loads of fun with being Mr. Freeze, but I also really need to promote my Sentinel class because my Batarian and Vorcha have dumb builds. :qq:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Even if you have a way to pierce their shields, Pull is usually gonna put those smug fucker Guardians in their place way quicker than 10% weapon damage. That in itself makes it worth it.
Area reave hits guardians through their shields.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Say, do you guys like the Engineer or the Infiltrator more for a Geth melee build? I would think the turret is really helpful, but the Tactical Cloak's damage boost would be too.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Area reave hits guardians through their shields.

Okay, but that doesn't stop them from shooting you, and Pull->Pull->Reave is universally quicker and safer than Reave->Get Shot->Warp Bubble.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VJeff posted:

Say, do you guys like the Engineer or the Infiltrator more for a Geth melee build? I would think the turret is really helpful, but the Tactical Cloak's damage boost would be too.
Infiltrator. Aside from the bonuses to damage, Cloak helps you get close to enemies to ambush them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Synastren posted:

So, I'm trying to figure out good builds for the batsol and the vorcha soldier. Is Carnage worth going 6/6/6/4/4, or 6/6/3/5/6 better? And I have no idea about ballistic blades & blade armor for the batsol. I usually play vanguard, so this is weird. :ohdear:

Carnage, unlike Pull, is almost worthless. I'd completely spec out of it, especially if you are playing a Vorcha. "Up-close-and-personal" is how you play the Vorcha, so you'll want that Fitness maxed and that 10% weapon damage.

Edit: Ballistic Blades and Blade Armor are very useful powers--you can't go wrong with any of the evolutions, really.

Edit 2:

MrDude posted:

I posted a bit ago about trying for a shotgun-based Human Sentinel. Results so far: Use the Eviscerator, no question. The quick reload is the big thing. The Eviscerator lets you do Warp->shoot->Throw and reload during Throw's itsy bitsy cooldown, so you can start staggering things again asap. The cooldown on Eviscerator X is beautifully low as well, so the armored-asari-adept approach is viable still. I think I should be tossing this thing on all my adepts, though HS's maxed fitness and TA definitely helps you feel like a gymnast Krogan.

Ewww, Eviscerator? Doesn't that gun suck? Wouldn't the Piranha work better?

kalel fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Okay, but that doesn't stop them from shooting you, and Pull->Pull->Reave is universally quicker and safer than Reave->Get Shot->Warp Bubble.
Why would you do that? Reave -- > run away and find something else to shoot while they die.

Anyone been getting bugs out the rear end since the latest origin update? I had my first Blue Screen of Death today. At least it's not a disconnection. :shepface:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Ewww, Eviscerator? Doesn't that gun suck? Wouldn't the Piranha work better?
Eviscerator is really lightweight. With the Eviscerator X, almost every class gets +200% without any upgrades into weight. I run it on BatSol from time to time, though I prefer the graal for thematic consistency.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Eviscerator, Disciple, Scimitar, Katana. Every shotgun works. It's really not fair to compare them to the Pirahna.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Anyone been getting bugs out the rear end since the latest origin update? I had my first Blue Screen of Death today. At least it's not a disconnection. :shepface:

I wouldn't be surprised, but with the friends list seemingly permanently borked, the majority of my desire to play is gone with it. It's much more fun to coordinate with people you know than just hope that pubbies aren't morons. :smith:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Why would you do that? Reave -- > run away and find something else to shoot while they die.

Yeah, why kill them quickly when you can kill them slowly :rolleyes:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

VJeff posted:

Unless your using a projectile weapon that doesn't have piercing, it'd be faster to just reave>headshot or headshot>headshot to kill an unshielded mob rather than waste points in Pull. This goes for even Guardians, just mailslot or using piercing rounds.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Eviscerator, Disciple, Scimitar, Katana. Every shotgun works. It's really not fair to compare them to the Pirahna.

It's not fair? I mean, I guess you could say that since the Katana, the Scimitar/Eviscerator, and the Disciple/Piranha are different tiers (common, uncommon and rare respectively) you can't really put them on the same level, but I know I'd pick the Piranha over the Eviscerator any day, any class, any map.

I was playing with the Eviscerator today and I realized that (as a slow-firing, high-damage shotgun) it would synergize really well with a caster class. But I would still use a Piranha over it. It's just too good man!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I like Pull on my Drellguard because you can find an unshielded enemy in a group fairly often, whether it's a Guardian you can troll or a mid-level enemy worn down by your teammates. I get double kills all the time and triple kills every once in a while from charging into self-combos, which is one of the few things more common Vanguards can't do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Synastren posted:

I tend to ignore Blade Armor and go for full Blades and Grenades. I make clusters of enemies fall down.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Sighence posted:

a) 9 + 10% of 9 is not equal to 10.
b) In a Bioware game it's not equal to 9.9 either because it's only 10% of your base damage.
c) You get no points for over kill so the relevant question is how often do I use 9ish or more bullets on a single target.
d) Automatic weapons tend to suck especially on casters so the answer is not often.
e) So the real comparison how often is killing a heavy armor unit half a second earlier useful vs how often is pull useful.
f) Pull is really useful a lot of the time. Have you ever tried to kill a nemesis at point blank range with a slow firing weapon? It's hell. Pull to stagger then blammo, ammunition saved.

Mr Dog posted:

Biotic Combos on trash don't do much damage though, since according to this thread a BC's damage is a function of the enemy's maximum health? If it's not trash you usually can't lift it.

This is true but exploding trash does enough to take out other trash. You'll want to use Reave for bosses but pull does the job for trash at half the cooldown.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

London, wave 9, final scrambler disabled, host leaves/crashes and takes the game down with him.

gently caress you Bioware.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It's not fair? I mean, I guess you could say that since the Katana, the Scimitar/Eviscerator, and the Disciple/Piranha are different tiers (common, uncommon and rare respectively) you can't really put them on the same level, but I know I'd pick the Piranha over the Eviscerator any day, any class, any map.

I was playing with the Eviscerator today and I realized that (as a slow-firing, high-damage shotgun) it would synergize really well with a caster class. But I would still use a Piranha over it. It's just too good man!

When I say fair I mean in the sense that the Pirahna was blatantly overpowered, to the point of replacing most weapons.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I am so glad they made it so you can do London on any difficulty this weekend. gently caress that map on anything higher than Silver.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Schubalts posted:

When I say fair I mean in the sense that the Pirahna was blatantly overpowered, to the point of replacing most weapons.

Yeah, you're right. I had an idea recently: On Gold or Platinum I'll use whatever gun I want, but I'm gonna experiment with guns I don't normally/ever play with on Silver and Bronze. I've been honestly having a blast with my 6/0/6/6/6 Human Soldier (max Frags, no Conc Shot) testing out some guns that I almost never use.

His name is Darren Marshall, the shotgun-toting black-clad knight of the London city streets! Beware Reapers, for your reckoning is at hand.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yeah, you're right. I had an idea recently: On Gold or Platinum I'll use whatever gun I want, but I'm gonna experiment with guns I don't normally/ever play with on Silver and Bronze. I've been honestly having a blast with my 6/0/6/6/6 Human Soldier (max Frags, no Conc Shot) testing out some guns that I almost never use.

His name is Darren Marshall, the shotgun-toting black-clad knight of the London city streets! Beware Reapers, for your reckoning is at hand.

SciFiDownBeat was taken down by Banshee.
SciFiDownBeat bled to death.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gordon Shumway posted:

I am so glad they made it so you can do London on any difficulty this weekend. gently caress that map on anything higher than Silver.

No, gently caress it on Silver too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is it normal to feel selfish playing an infiltrator?

• Locked thread