Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the kawaiiest posted:

Download the file, go to your extensions page (tools > extensions) and drag and drop the file into it.

This doesn't seem to work for me. Is the Linux version of Chrome not able to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Having a minor but annoying issue. Bought a new computer, freshly installed Windows and Chrome but whenever I open a new instance of Chrome, it refuses to load the homepage and will just hang on connecting forever. If I click the address bar and hit enter, it will load instantly. Its google.com set as my homepage, but I tried experimenting with others and get the same problem. Version 21.0.1180.75.

It otherwise works perfectly, its weirding me out.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mak0rz posted:

This doesn't seem to work for me. Is the Linux version of Chrome not able to do that?

I really don't know, sorry. :(

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Anyone know why chrome does this in google reader? I tried changing the zoom, but that's not the problem:

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Try doing some of these steps.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Chrome crashed on me randomly and when I try to launch the program it just instantly crashes.

e: Error code stuff
code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	chrome.exe
  Application Version:	21.0.1180.75
  Application Timestamp:	5020a04e
  Fault Module Name:	chrome.dll
  Fault Module Version:	21.0.1180.75
  Fault Module Timestamp:	5020a006
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00e161fd
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
e: It fixed itself randomly after ~13 hours.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 10, 2012

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I've been having problems with youtube while using chrome.

1) Some videos won't load or loads extremely slowly. Even after refreshes.
2) Sometimes a video will just sort of crash, often this manifests in a frozen frame with 4 black boxes in it. Kinda of like the Danish or Swedish flag.

I've tried playing around with the flash extensions in chrome, but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Also, everything is fine in Firefox.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anyone else seeing a problem where Flash videos "shimmy" or shake left and right on the current beta build of Chrome? It makes it impossible to focus on details and is generally really annoying to look at. Doesn't happen when the video is fullscreen

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's just one login-type website I use regularly (my school's "my" page) that Chrome doesn't even attempt to auto-fill the username/password for. Can websites set themselves to not allow auto form filling, or is it just a bug?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 10, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's just one login-type website I use regularly (my school's "my" page) that Chrome doesn't even attempt to auto-fill the username/password for. Can websites set themselves to not allow auto form filling, or is it just a bug?

Yes.

Use this

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ecpgkdflcnofdbbkiggklcfmgbnbabhh

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, it didn't work, and I cleared the cache and restarted Chrome and everything. It just doesn't offer to save it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Weird, this saves all my passwords. As a last resort use Keepass and auto-complete I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

Weird, this saves all my passwords. As a last resort use Keepass and auto-complete I guess.
Well, you can see from the last page that this started because I decided to stop using a password vault and using Chrome's built-in system instead, due to transferring with Chrome's new iOS version.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, you can see from the last page that this started because I decided to stop using a password vault and using Chrome's built-in system instead, due to transferring with Chrome's new iOS version.

I did the same. I don't know what to tell you, every site it saves for me, are you getting a Save Password prompt?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

I did the same. I don't know what to tell you, every site it saves for me, are you getting a Save Password prompt?
No, like I said I don't, it just goes straight through to the next page and that's it.

It's this page, I dunno if it's possible to see anything weird about it.

https://myuh.hawaii.edu/cp/home/displaylogin

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Trump posted:

I've been having problems with youtube while using chrome.

1) Some videos won't load or loads extremely slowly. Even after refreshes.
2) Sometimes a video will just sort of crash, often this manifests in a frozen frame with 4 black boxes in it. Kinda of like the Danish or Swedish flag.

I've tried playing around with the flash extensions in chrome, but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Also, everything is fine in Firefox.

I had this problem as well. Disabling ppapi and enabling npapi in chrome://plugins/ and restarting fixed it for me.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
"autocomplete=off" isn't always the problem, the password safe functionality of Chrome is just very buggy. If a login isn't a very simple CGI form, then Chrome will still prompt you whether it should save the password, but even if you say yes it will save an empty user/password combination. You can check it by looking at the passwords in the Setting menu, it's pretty likely there is an entry for your website there but it is empty. In this case Chrome simply isn't compatible with your website and you'll have to use a third party password safe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

peak debt posted:

"autocomplete=off" isn't always the problem, the password safe functionality of Chrome is just very buggy. If a login isn't a very simple CGI form, then Chrome will still prompt you whether it should save the password, but even if you say yes it will save an empty user/password combination. You can check it by looking at the passwords in the Setting menu, it's pretty likely there is an entry for your website there but it is empty. In this case Chrome simply isn't compatible with your website and you'll have to use a third party password safe.
No, I checked and there's no password saved. Like I've said three times now, it didn't even offer to save it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just came back to Chrome since FF is really doing wonky things on my PC right now, and there's this weird behavior I don't know how to stop.

I open a new tab and start to type in a URL or just a word, and the autocomplete takes over, so I hit enter to load up the page, and I get shunted back to my last active tab. It's extremely annoying, does anyone else have this and is there a way to stop it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I had that happen with an extension (Focus Last Selected Tab I think, which is meant to do it when you close a tab)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else still having issues with gif images not playing with the current dev build?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Montalvo posted:

Is anyone else still having issues with gif images not playing with the current dev build?

They don't work for me. As they're loading they work, but once they're loaded they stop. If I open the image in a new tab it will animate in the new tab and then also in the original page.

On the other hand, I'm really loving the new version page that opens as a tab instead of a pop up box that blocks all activity.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Having a minor but annoying issue. Bought a new computer, freshly installed Windows and Chrome but whenever I open a new instance of Chrome, it refuses to load the homepage and will just hang on connecting forever. If I click the address bar and hit enter, it will load instantly. Its google.com set as my homepage, but I tried experimenting with others and get the same problem. Version 21.0.1180.75.

It otherwise works perfectly, its weirding me out.

This started happening to me a couple of stable releases ago. No idea why I'm afraid!

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Bit of a longshot, but does anybody know of a way from keeping Chrome from trying to refresh all its tabs on startup? Or at least, not when there's no internet access?

OS X will launch Chrome on startup if I had it open when I shutdown. However, my WiFi connection can take up to a minute to actually connect (work network, who knows why.) What happens is that Chrome will open before the connection is active, and all my tabs will turn into error pages. I then have to go to each one and refresh it when the WiFi connection finally works.

Any way around this?

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Is the "IBA Opt Out" (Which opts out of Google using your 'interests' for ads) plugin using 100% CPU usage for anyone else? I'll be browsing cat threads and my laptop fans spin up and my testicles burn.

I sometimes read conservative blogs for laffs so I primarily get offensive ads targeted for bigots/old people. I sometimes click some ads, but if optout isn't available I'm just going to adblock.

e: I reread this and I don't imply old people are bigots. I just mean boner pills and homophobic stuff are a huge portion of what I end up seeing.

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 15, 2012

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Is the "IBA Opt Out" (Which opts out of Google using your 'interests' for ads) plugin using 100% CPU usage for anyone else? I'll be browsing cat threads and my laptop fans spin up and my testicles burn.

I sometimes read conservative blogs for laffs so I primarily get offensive ads targeted for bigots/old people. I sometimes click some ads, but if optout isn't available I'm just going to adblock.

e: I reread this and I don't imply old people are bigots. I just mean boner pills and homophobic stuff are a huge portion of what I end up seeing.

Yeah.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Magicmat posted:

Bit of a longshot, but does anybody know of a way from keeping Chrome from trying to refresh all its tabs on startup? Or at least, not when there's no internet access?

Open preferences, look at the "On startup" section. I don't know of any way to make it conditional on a live connection.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

Civil Twilight posted:

Open preferences, look at the "On startup" section. I don't know of any way to make it conditional on a live connection.
Oh, yeah, definitely want it to still open my saved tabs, just not have them reload on startup -- used the cached version or something.

Oh well, back into the Chromium source I go to fix it...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Glad I checked in here, the fan on my mini at work was starting to drive me nuts.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been having a problem with Google/Gmail all week, and its taken me until Thursday to realize it's actually been a Chrome issue. Basically, I can't seem to get to any Google service with Chrome. I just did a fresh reinstall of Chrome, am running 21.0.1180.79 on Win 7, and when I try to go to mail.google.com I get the following error:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

I can ping Gmail just fine and get to it via IE and Firefox. This week I've also had problems using the address bar as my Google search bar. >50% of the time I would get a message of 'Google App is unavailable'. At the moment, the reinstall seems to have fixed this and I can now get to Google.com without issue.

The last clue that leads me to believe this is a Chrome issue is after installing I can no longer sign into Chrome to sync with my Google account. It just tells me "Could not connect to the sever". I have no extensions running or custom settings. I don't have 2-step verification set up.

I can't seem to find anything on Chrome's help site that will fix this except for "clear your cache" and "Me right now: :bang:

Edit: An hour and a half later and I installed an older stable version from a month ago and the problem is gone....at least until Chrome updates itself again since I apparently cannot stop auto updates.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 16, 2012

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
I get this same error all the time, too, but only at work and only intermittently (it used to happen every time). I never get it at home, though, even when using the exact same version as at work.:iiam:

Hitting the F5 key a couple of times is usually enough to get the page to load, though, so I've just toughed it out.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
When connecting to Google services, it uses SPDY. At work, maybe they have a wildcard certificate installed so they can peek and sniff at HTTPS connections too for whatever reason. However, this sniffing might mess with SPDY so you might want to consider disabling that if you're having problems.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

crazysim posted:

When connecting to Google services, it uses SPDY. At work, maybe they have a wildcard certificate installed so they can peek and sniff at HTTPS connections too for whatever reason. However, this sniffing might mess with SPDY so you might want to consider disabling that if you're having problems.
Thanks for reminding me. I had to add the following to my Chrome shortcut to get it to work with Google stuff:
code:
--use-spdy=off --use-system-ssl
Unfortunately, even with this flag set I still have intermittent issues. I'm one of two IT guys at work and we don't do any kind of traffic sniffing, so maybe it's something with our ISP? In any case, Sirotan, that command line switch is your best bet at the moment.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the latest update to the dev branch causes a few issues when running flash -- it's just a hunch but in the space of 10 minutes my Macbook crashed twice whilst watching BBC News videos.

This, as well as the other issues involving flash files, gifs not playing and whatnot have finally made me switch back to the beta branch. :negative:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone else getting this on beta channel? All text seems to be missing some vertical lines of pixels or something...

edit: Disable GPU Compositing to fix it.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 20, 2012

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm having a problem sort of similar to the one above but with Youtube. Beta channel as well.

On any page with a youtube video in it, not just youtube itself, that black space appears on the side for some reason and eats some of the pixels of the text on screen. I tried disabling GPU compositing but that didn't fix it. Anyone else having this issue or know how to get rid of it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone else getting this on beta channel? All text seems to be missing some vertical lines of pixels or something...

edit: Disable GPU Compositing to fix it.

Thank you for this. Was driving me up a loving wall.

Edit: Nevermind, still doing it. :mad:

Edit again: Whoops, was missing an update. I'm terrible at occasionally relaunching Chrome. Fixed.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 20, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah a bunch of us reported it and it seems to be fixed in the latest update - it was happening on any page with flash and other embedded stuff

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Has anybody had problems with Chrome 21.0.1180.79 lately? I must have updated to this version a couple days ago and now shockwave flash plugin keeps crashing every few minutes. I can be doing anything and at some point if open a link with any flash content (video, banner, whatever) the tab keeps opening for a minute or two and then I get information that the shockwave flash plugin failed, in all tabs. I need to manually close all tabs and then restart Chrome. If I don't close all the tabs, flash won't work even after restarting. Flash is in version 11.3.31.227.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm about to ditch chrome for IE if it doesn't stop not loading webpages. I've turned off "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" and "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors." I've cleared my cache and restarted my router and my internet works fine for everything else. I'm sick of having to refresh a bunch of times to get the pictures on tumblr to load or get twitter up. I don't know what's causing it and nothing the internet has suggested to fix it has worked.

Why would the DNS lookup keep failing. Why. Why are you doing this chrome.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 22, 2012