Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Black Bolt's face there keeps reminding me of Barry from The Tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Marcos Martin is pretty drat good at drawing gorgeous covers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

That is a lot of clones

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those are gorgeous. Loving the single color of each. That said, I get what they all signify except the last one. Is it from Spidey joining Avengers or is it something else?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waterhaul posted:

Marcos Martin is pretty drat good at drawing

drat straight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those are gorgeous. Loving the single color of each. That said, I get what they all signify except the last one. Is it from Spidey joining Avengers or is it something else?

Ya it looks like the different eras. The first his beginning, the death of Gwen, black suit, clone saga, and current member of Avengers. Note 50 years 5 covers.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 30, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Gwen cover is gorgeous.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
drat, you know an artist is good when he makes a cover that makes me want to read the Clone Saga.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

That Gwen cover is gorgeous.

Agreed. I think that one is my favourite.

Kind of amusing that they are showing the major events in Spidey's life there and they leave out One More Day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

What I find funny is that these covers aren't necessarily appealing because they're technically good but instead they're very pleasing and minimal in design. Comic book covers are still garishly designed pieces with a bunch of flexing people grimacing at you but these are very subdued, single tone covers drawn in a crisp, clear style. Nothing has been touched by an airbrush, amazing!

Farel Dalrymple was the artist on the Omega the Unknown reboot and I picked up the series based on the covers alone.

They were so opposite of typical Big Two covers that I couldn't ignore it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I hope they do those Martin covers as posters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

al-azad posted:

Farel Dalrymple was the artist on the Omega the Unknown reboot and I picked up the series based on the covers alone.

I really want to get this, loved Fortress of Solitude, is it worth the read?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you're interested it definitely is. Omega has a very odd touch to even the normal parts that I remember from his books (haven't read Fortress tho).

Lethem goes on a few experiments, one issue is almost entirely silent, another is narrated by a singing sculpture, but it all flows along with an oddly touching and interesting story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Grab the trade, then. It's a really odd mini-series that begins with a mysterious superhero tied to a kid prodigy trying to stop robots from taking over the world or something but the plot takes a complete u-turn around issue 3 and I can't even describe it without spoiling things. It's definitely a great story that's absurd, humorous, and dramatic but it's never pretentious or full of itself like some experimental stories.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bobkatt013 posted:

That is a lot of clones

That's based on a famous painting isn't it? I know I've seen that composition in a few places.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

al-azad posted:

What I find funny is that these covers aren't necessarily appealing because they're technically good but instead they're very pleasing and minimal in design. Comic book covers are still garishly designed pieces with a bunch of flexing people grimacing at you but these are very subdued, single tone covers drawn in a crisp, clear style. Nothing has been touched by an airbrush, amazing!

God drat there's a title I never thought I'd see again. I had (maybe still have?) a few of the original issues from decades ago and I thought they were a confusing mess, but I guess the new version is worth reading so good for you, Omega.

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton

TwoPair posted:

FF #20: Artist Nick Dragotta draws the funniest face I've ever seen on Black Bolt.

When I read that issue I immediately thought "That would make a fantastic avatar."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Daggerpants posted:

When I read that issue I immediately thought "That would make a fantastic avatar."

If that happens, the custom text under it should be either "ludicrous speed now" or "they've gone plaid".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

If that happens, the custom text under it should be either "ludicrous speed now" or "they've gone plaid".

Or since it's Black Bolt the more appropriate text would be

"..."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just read the Extrasensory trade of Madame Xanadu and they really decided to go out with a bang:

Marian Churchland

Celia Calle

Chrissie Zullo

Zullo is also a good cover artist:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Edit: Whoops image is breaking the tables.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 7, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
DC Universe Online Legends #20 had horrible art, in particular the rendition of Wonder Woman. Making Wonder Woman look ugly is a terrible sin.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was it this thread where we laughed at bullets never leaving the casing when fired? From The Massive #3

It's funnier to assume he actually threw the bullet with enough force to destroy a RHIB boat?

Baron Bifford posted:

DC Universe Online Legends #20 had horrible art, in particular the rendition of Wonder Woman. Making Wonder Woman look ugly is a terrible sin.

I hate Batman so much when he's paired with other supes. He's always written as a boring badass that can overpower gods with little to no effort.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

al-azad posted:

It's funnier to assume he actually threw the bullet with enough force to destroy a RHIB boat?
Maybe - it looks like those two goons are actually staring at the bullet in shock, as if its moving slow enough for them to do a double-take at the bullet before it hits.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

al-azad posted:

Was it this thread where we laughed at bullets never leaving the casing when fired? From The Massive #3

What's really funny is that the bullet still has its casing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Baron Bifford posted:

What's really funny is that the bullet still has its casing.
Yeah, that is what he was pointing out in the first place.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Didn't read the whole post. Hrmm.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Becky Cloonan

Her character designs are gorgeous. I like her manga aesthetics translate to great physiques and faces yet her eyes are intense and large like a hawk's. They're not large and doe like a typical anime character. And she has great range, too. Just look at her vistas

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

al-azad posted:

Nooo, everything else about this is so good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't have access to a decent computer right now, but somebody needs to post the first page of Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E #12 because it is atrocious.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
We're probably going to see an increase of Bane looking like his movie depiction.

This is pretty good, if a little bit overdone.

Just fanart, but good enough for the thread.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 10, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is fanart allowed in this thread? Anyway, that is a kickass picture.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
That picture is way too Nu Metal for my tastes. It doesn't really jive with the tone of the character at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

An underground guerilla-fighting hispanic in the 21st Century? Sounds plenty Nu Metal to me.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

This thread isn't really for fanart because it's a slippery slope of just posting stuff randomly found on deviantart or tumblr.

I like the image though because Bane looks like Bonk on steroids.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 10, 2012

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~

Waterhaul posted:

I like the image though because Bane looks like Bonk on steroids.

Are we sure that's not just an illustration of a Disturbed concert?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jacquismo posted:

Are we sure that's not just an illustration of a Disturbed concert?

I was unsure of this but apparently youtube just confirmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc1L9FaKxaY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man there are some horribly drawn Banes in that video. Like :wtf: is this:

But whatever, this is the thread for good art as well so have some motherfucking :siren: GODZILLA :siren:

(this was posted way back)

Godzilla: Half Century War #1

Then again, I shouldn't need to post this since everyone should have already bought it, right? :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I prefer the idea of Bane having pain mask in the movies and luchador mask in everything else. The mask just works so well in a comicbook setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man there are some horribly drawn Banes in that video. Like :wtf: is this:

I think that one comes from Arkham Asylum.