Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

VJeff posted:

No, gently caress it on Silver too.

Two Finger posted:

SciFiDownBeat was taken down by Banshee.
SciFiDownBeat bled to death.

You know what it takes to play in London? It takes brass balls to play in London. And a fuckload of medigel.

Ularg posted:

Is it normal to feel selfish playing an infiltrator?

Yes, but just look at all those juicy kills just waiting to be stolen! The points, man, the points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lagomorphic posted:

f) Pull is really useful a lot of the time. Have you ever tried to kill a nemesis at point blank range with a slow firing weapon? It's hell. Pull to stagger then blammo, ammunition saved.
Reave works for staggering as well, while giving you damage reduction. When you are using Pull, you're not using Reave, therefore you are doing something wrong.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I haven't played in a loooong time, but I feel like getting back in the game. I'm on the PC list as PillagePuppies, y'all should start inviting me into games and stuff.

Edit: Jesus Jumping Christ on a Cracker, is the only thing these people do is fight Geth on Firebase White?!

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 11, 2012

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Synastren posted:

So, I'm trying to figure out good builds for the batsol and the vorcha soldier. Is Carnage worth going 6/6/6/4/4, or 6/6/3/5/6 better? And I have no idea about ballistic blades & blade armor for the batsol. I usually play vanguard, so this is weird. :ohdear:

Vorcha ignore carnage and max everything else. Best to take all the health regen options for bloodlust, everything else is your preference. For fitness consider taking one of the melee options. Vorcha have a pretty good melee and work best up close and personal.

For batsol there are tons of builds but I went 6/6/3/5/6. Ballistic blades I take cone, range and explosive. Blade armor take durability, recharge speed and durability. Grenades are fine at 3, you can still do tons of damage with them, especially if you throw more than one because the damage stacks. I like weapon damage and power damage for the passive to give ballistic blades and inferno grenades a bit more oomph, and I take all the health and shield options for fitness. Melee options are also good as batarians have the most powerful melee in the game.

With this build you can give no fucks. You want blade armor up and running at all times. The damage resistance is really nice and +30% shield recharge speed is insane. Enjoy wading through heavy fire to get close enough to fire off your blades, toss a grenade or two and generally wreck poo poo. I also like how on higher difficulties you can leave cover and make a few mistakes without being instantly downed.

I also recommend explosive blades because of the stagger. Ballistic blades will stagger anything when you fire them, and then what they dont kill will be staggered again when they explode. Good against annoying enemies like phantoms and geth pyros. Its a great power.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SciFiDownBeat posted:

You know what it takes to play in London? It takes brass balls to play in London. And a fuckload of medigel.

I finished the event on gold with pubbies.

Paracelsus posted:

Reave works for staggering as well, while giving you damage reduction. When you are using Pull, you're not using Reave, therefore you are doing something wrong.

Reave also has a cooldown that is twice as long as pull's.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I just quit Geth / Firebase White unless it came up in a Random / Random.

Ularg posted:

Is it normal to feel selfish playing an infiltrator?

Given you're the best person to do some objectives, and to res people, no.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Pumpking posted:

I also recommend explosive blades because of the stagger. Ballistic blades will stagger anything when you fire them, and then what they dont kill will be staggered again when they explode. Good against annoying enemies like phantoms and geth pyros. Its a great power.

The thing with Ballistic Blades is that they do less damage the further away you are, except that the explosion will always do the same damage regardless of distance. The double stagger is great too! :eng101:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Given you're the best person to do some objectives, and to res people, no.

I try my best. But I can only rez pubbies in the middle of brutes and banshies before saying "gently caress this poo poo".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was waiting for ME3 to go on sale but it looks like the regular price has dropped on Origin so I suppose I'll finally get it.

I've watched a small amount of the multiplayer on streams and it does look alright, but at this point is it going to be too difficult/awkward to start in with nothing? Basically, has everyone moved on or are there still enough people at low ranks or whatever to warrant jumping in now? For some reason competitive games like BF3 are really pissing me off right now so I figured I'd try more coop.

Also, if it is worth beginning now, is there a good starter guide anywhere I can use to figure out what to upgrade and whatnot, or is the OP information enough to get started?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've watched a small amount of the multiplayer on streams and it does look alright, but at this point is it going to be too difficult/awkward to start in with nothing?

Absolutely not. The starting classes and gear are good enough to get you going.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
The starter human classes are definitely still viable and the starter weapons, while nothing spectacular, are more than enough for all the Bronze-level games you'll be playing. I haven't tried it, but but I think the first page has a basic human Vanguard build that's a pretty easy way to farm points so you could look into that.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 11, 2012

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm still playing Human infiltrator with Mantis IV on Silver. It's also been surprising how fast I can acquire rare gear if I just play silver and save up for Specter premium packs.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was waiting for ME3 to go on sale but it looks like the regular price has dropped on Origin so I suppose I'll finally get it.

I've watched a small amount of the multiplayer on streams and it does look alright, but at this point is it going to be too difficult/awkward to start in with nothing? Basically, has everyone moved on or are there still enough people at low ranks or whatever to warrant jumping in now? For some reason competitive games like BF3 are really pissing me off right now so I figured I'd try more coop.

Also, if it is worth beginning now, is there a good starter guide anywhere I can use to figure out what to upgrade and whatnot, or is the OP information enough to get started?

The OP is quite extensive. It's recommended that you play the single player just so you know how to deal with each kind of enemy (although watching videos helps). Basically all you need to get started in multiplayer is to pick a class that you think you'll like, grab a gun and play some Bronze.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Basically, has everyone moved on or are there still enough people at low ranks or whatever to warrant jumping in now?

An N7 rating over 120 is basically just dick waving. You should be able to start off without much issue. Play Bronze to get used to the maps, buy some Veteran packs to get some upgrades, then move on to Silver matches.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Generally I'd suggest having a buddy (or five) to start up with. Get advice straight from the source of someone friendly who's still playing 5 months after release. Unfortunately, the latest version of Origin broke the friends list, so you're kinda hosed there until they get things under control.

For a brief starter guide, all the starting classes are definitely playable. Even the plain-human Adept, with *shudder* Singularity, can be played well all the way up to Gold. For the starter weapons, all of them are actually pretty drat decent with the exception of the SMG, the Shuriken. As such, when you're starting what you want to do with your credits is spam the cheap (5K) Recruit Packs until you have them all maxed out, with maybe some Veteran or Premium Spectre sprinkled in here and there to nab you a few aliens or new guns for variety. You should get them maxed out quick enough and be able to focus on the Veteran and PSPs afterward.

Lagomorphic posted:

f) Pull is really useful a lot of the time. Have you ever tried to kill a nemesis at point blank range with a slow firing weapon? Well that's silly because melee locks on to enemies and a Nemesis won't really fight back anyway.

Fixed that for you.

TacticalGranny posted:

An N7 rating over 120 is basically just dick waving.

Promotions are also good for free respecs, and a couple of previous operations required them. If you see someone over 1 or 2K though, that person has a bit too much time on their hands.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I haven't played in a loooong time, but I feel like getting back in the game. I'm on the PC list as PillagePuppies, y'all should start inviting me into games and stuff.
I tried to send you a friend request, but Origin is having a poo poo-fit. My Origin name is ChaosWombat, feel free to friend me.

As for the BatSol, I put 4 to both Blade Armor and Inferno Grenades to max out the passives. Someone tell me if this was a good or bad idea? I feel like I'm doing fine, but am wondering if I could be doing even better.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~

What everyone else said, especially with vanguard. Thats how I did it and in 2 nights I was hopping into gold with my destroyer. The vanguard really is so fun to play as.

I see they nerfed the pirannah? I can still snipe on gold with it and do a lot of damage. Was it only the damage the lowered a bit?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, the damage was lowered by about 12% I think. It's still a really good gun.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, the damage was lowered by about 12% I think. It's still a really good gun.

Honestly, I barely noticed it at all. And I never thought that the mattock would be my favorite gun of all time. Mail slots everywhere bitch.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've been meaning to try out gold with my N7 Engineer. What prereqs should I have before attempting it with pubbies?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ularg posted:

I've been meaning to try out gold with my N7 Engineer. What prereqs should I have before attempting it with pubbies?

Sacrificing a small animal normally works.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Ularg posted:

As long as you have Supply Pylon and Arc Grenades both up to level 6 and Homing Grenades up to 4, you should be good. This would be about level 15-16 or so.

Spec Arc Grenades for shield stripping and take the bonus grenade on the pylon, and you'll be good to go.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Nordick posted:

As for the BatSol, I put 4 to both Blade Armor and Inferno Grenades to max out the passives. Someone tell me if this was a good or bad idea? I feel like I'm doing fine, but am wondering if I could be doing even better.
This is my BatSol build (substitute the max grenades evolution if you don't have the gear) but all of his abilities are so awesome it's really a matter of taste.

Also Origin is working fine for me :confused:

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 11, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Elotana posted:

This is my BatSol build (substitute the max grenades evolution if you don't have the gear) but all of his abilities are so awesome it's really a matter of taste.

Also Origin is working fine for me :confused:

It seems they finally worked it out tonight.

EDIT: Nevermind, there's apparently still problems with it because it removed a friend from my list while not actually deleting him. I can't re-friend him because we both still count as friends, but he's not on my list and I'm not on his, so we can't play together.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 11, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

With all this pull vs. reave chat that could apply to the drell adept, I'm starting to wonder again: is there any way to make the drell vanguard useful?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

404notfound posted:

With all this pull vs. reave chat that could apply to the drell adept, I'm starting to wonder again: is there any way to make the drell vanguard useful?
Useful in the sense that it will consistently outscore good Infiltrators and Adepts, no. Useful in the sense that it can be fun as heck and you'll still outscore average pubbies, sure.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If you want to have fun change the armor consumable to an Adrenaline Mod III

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Adrenaline is pointless on a Vanguard, ABC

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The bugs are getting worse for me. Another Blue Screen about fifteen minutes ago. I keep vanguard glitching, as host. I keep being told I don't have an online pass.

:smith:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

404notfound posted:

This guy has quite a few guides on ME3 Multiplayer classes, including the Drell Vanguard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHyPAOamCA

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The bugs are getting worse for me. Another Blue Screen about fifteen minutes ago. I keep vanguard glitching, as host. I keep being told I don't have an online pass.

How many small animals did you sacrifice? Because if it's a prime number you might be screwed for a while...

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

It's clearly happening because you badmouthed Pull. :v:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Felinoid posted:

It's clearly happening because you badmouthed Pull. :v:
Wait, maybe I can reverse the spell!

Singularity is great!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wait, maybe I can reverse the spell!

Singularity is great!

Wouldn't you reverse bad luck from a misstaken statement by saying something true?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
You're assuming "pull is bad" is misstaken. :colbert:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Decided to do my part on Bronze, since I figured that would be the likeliest to fail (and I'm not doing Gold in the middle of the night). First game, London, wave 3, the drone falls through the map. And the timer turns off, so the round would never end. :sigh:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
What map/enemy setup is the easiest to grind money for?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What map/enemy setup is the easiest to grind money for?

Easy as in fast? Glacier/Cerberus(or Geth)/Gold. Running around wiping out spawns as fast you can spam BE's, TB's and unload your higher level guns. It's the non-stationary farming.

Easy as in stay where you are and not really have a sense of danger? White/Geth/Gold is still viable and boringly easy (though some pubbies still manage to screw it up).

If you're feeling ballsy, hit up some of the other goons for Platinum Anything. Good communication/coordination is worth its weight in gold. Just surviving through the Wave 10 objective nets you enough for a PSP and a JEP that recoups your vital consumables plus a few thousand leftover.

Best thing to do is just look through other people's set ups in the lobby. If they're packing sensible weapon combos/gear with their choice of character, it should be a fairly uneventful credit run (Drellguards with Claymores is obviously a no, but I've seen it played and to good effect).

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

SciFiDownBeat posted:

This guy has quite a few guides on ME3 Multiplayer classes, including the Drell Vanguard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHyPAOamCA

FYI the game isn't hard enough to force you to use optimized setups but Stardusks' guides and builds aren't very good.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Farming Glacier/Platinum is quicker than FBW/G/G and offers twice the payout. It's also simple to do as long as you're willing to use missiles in the objective rounds. If you're comfortable playing gold outside of FBW you're good enough to be farming on Platinum. I did a pubbie game last night where me and another guy with a Piranha X got a very young and panicky player to extraction, it's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hey Ricky sorry about the late invite last night, I thought you said you were going to join another friend's game and then I realized you were just switching out the Particle Rifle. Some dude named soliduuuuuus joined and refused to leave so we just sandbagged his rear end for a good 10 minutes before he finally died

• Locked thread