Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Random Stranger posted:

Behold the horror of Arino's current profile picture on Twitter!

That is a thing of nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Was half-expecting him to bust out the turbo controller for Bishoujo Sexy Derby

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

He says things like "keep calm and go slow" and I think "no, sprint and jump sometimes! Its that loving simple!". Sometimes it is hard to remember that not everyone has played Mario World all the way through a hundred times, and hasn't memorized the whole thing. I wish I could play these for the first time again, but SMW hasn't frustrated me since I was ten. I can hardly empathize with him.

That makes this such a good episode. Thank you all again for your hard work, we can't seem to get enough of this poo poo.

Just for kicks I started up a new game and I forgot to time myself but it took me like 15-20 minutes to get to the end of world 2, dying about 3 times in the world 2 castle. I've played SMW a half dozen and have played several romhacks so obviously I'm not a great comparison point, but I found it amusing that it took him five hours to get that far. I think as a kid playing the game for the first time, it only took me a few hours. That was with doing some exploration and getting a couple secret exits.

You have to keep in mind that in the first few seasons, Arino is hasn't really played video games in a looong time and he was extremely rusty. His level of play nowadays is very noticeably better than it was back then.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does SMB2 have a true ending like Doki Doki Panic or is every ending just 'it was all a dream'?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Arino's play in SMW is just painful to watch. Had to skip through the last 15 minutes or so of that episode.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I think you can fill in a whole season of arino playing Dark Souls.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The SMW episode was great as always, GCCX team! :)

Mister Chief posted:

Does SMB2 have a true ending like Doki Doki Panic or is every ending just 'it was all a dream'?
Urakawa showed the ending after Arino beat Wart with Mari Papa by beating the game with the other three characters. It (spoilered for those who hasn't watched the Doki Doki Panic episode yet) wasn't a dream, but the kids did escape the book (AKA Subcon in Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA) they were trapped in.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Arino's play in SMW is just painful to watch. Had to skip through the last 15 minutes or so of that episode.
As someone who has been watching raocow (who used to do SMW ROMHack Let's Plays on SA, but now does them on YouTube and knows a lot about the game's engine) for a few years now, I agree that it is kinda sad to see someone who doesn't know the tricks (like spin jumping) that make the game easier play. But, I think it's still entertaining since it's like watching a kid who doesn't realize how easy the game really is playing it. :)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Obeast posted:

Urakawa showed the ending after Arino beat Wart with Mari Papa by beating the game with the other three characters. It (spoilered for those who hasn't watched the Doki Doki Panic episode yet) wasn't a dream, but the kids did escape the book (AKA Subcon in Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA) they were trapped in.

The question was actually if Super Mario Bros. 2 actually had a True Ending like Doki Doki Panic where you had to beat it with all 4 characters, not asking if the True Ending for Doki Doki Panic was "It was a dream" like SMB2.

I don't think you get a different ending in Super Mario Bros 2 by beating it with all 4 characters. I mean, for example, the NES cart doesn't seem to keep track of the stages cleared with each character like the FDS disk for Doki Doki Panic does, so there's no way to know which characters have beaten Wart.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Volfogg posted:

I don't think you get a different ending in Super Mario Bros 2 by beating it with all 4 characters. I mean, for example, the NES cart doesn't seem to keep track of the stages cleared with each character like the FDS disk for Doki Doki Panic does, so there's no way to know which characters have beaten Wart.

Yes it does. At the end of the game there's a counter that shows how many times you've used each of them.

SMB2 is a game that I know inside and out and I've beaten it in every possible way you can. I've never gotten a different ending than Mario waking up (I think it's okay not to spoiler that; it's been twenty-five years).

Also, since I have to bring this up any time SMB2 comes up, you're all wrong and your ten-year-old mind has been fooled. The Princess is the worst character and her ability is only really useful on one stage: 3-1. Luigi can jump the exact same distance that she floats and is more effective in pretty much every category. People gravitate toward using the Princess because they think it's easier to control the jumps but you're better off using any of the other three than her.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 11, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

Yes it does. At the end of the game there's a counter that shows how many times you've used each of them.

SMB2 is a game that I know inside and out and I've beaten it in every possible way you can. I've never gotten a different ending than Mario waking up (I think it's okay not to spoiler that; it's been twenty-five years).

Huh. It's been many years since I've played SMB2, so I'm not surprised I forgot that post game counter. But I still don't think it keeps track between multiple plays in one session, just the one playthough. Am I right about that?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

There is a nice german word for that, it's "fremdschämen"(being embarrassed by someone elses actions). And it's pretty much the reason why this episode is so funny to me. Especially the cartridge emergency. That actually happened twice for me, only I had no Suda to save my cartridge.

The Tamage-Segment was great as well.

Thanks for the episode, I had a laugh watching those on my way to work every morning.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Random Stranger posted:

Luigi can jump the exact same distance that she floats and is more effective in pretty much every category.

Plus Luigi actually lands slow enough that you're still in control of where you land. If I recall, the Princess pretty much drops straight down after the float, and you have a window of maybe two seconds to land somewhere.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Haha, Arino reminiscing about having to tilt his PSX to get it to work. I wonder how many people sympathize? (Mine was so bad I had to turn it upside down and balance it on one corner)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

I dunno, I end up feeling uncomfortable whenever people talk about how easy certain video games are. It took me maybe two weeks (playing maybe an hour a day or thereabouts) to get TO the final stage, let alone beat it when I tried last year. I ended up giving up for several weeks before I came back to fight the last boss and finally beat the game. I mean, I'm probably a corner case, I can probably count the number of times I've played a Super Nintendo on my fingers (my family was kinda poor in the 90s, I basically missed the 16-bit era entirely.)

I mean, yeah, Arino's really bad, but, like, you gotta have some goddamn perspective about these things. Just because it's a thing that you can crush with both hands tied behind your back doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I still have no idea how gliding with the cape works and Arino started doing that immediately. :negative:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

I still have no idea how gliding with the cape works and Arino started doing that immediately. :negative:

You just hold the button.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Bocc Kob posted:

He did read the manual after all. :v:

Great episode.

The Magikoopa portion was a bit painful to watch, but I remember as a kid I couldn't even get to Vanilla Dome without the Top Secret Area for unlimited powerups and admittedly a much easier way to get unlimited lives.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

I mean, yeah, Arino's really bad, but, like, you gotta have some goddamn perspective about these things. Just because it's a thing that you can crush with both hands tied behind your back doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

People passively assume that other people are just as talented at <x> as they are. Or if not as talented, 'it's pretty easy to do <x>'. Which really isn't the case about anything, be it super mario, sports, or any creative art.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

People passively assume that other people are just as talented at <x> as they are. Or if not as talented, 'it's pretty easy to do <x>'. Which really isn't the case about anything, be it super mario, sports, or any creative art.

Well what if they're really, really, reeeeaaaaally bad at it but somehow manage to get by as if they weren't, are they allowed to say "it's pretty easy to do x" then? :colbert:

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

ShadeofDante posted:

He did read the manual after all. :v:

Great episode.

The Magikoopa portion was a bit painful to watch, but I remember as a kid I couldn't even get to Vanilla Dome without the Top Secret Area for unlimited powerups and admittedly a much easier way to get unlimited lives.

It was KILLING me that they didn't have him unlock Top Secret Area instead of doing that inane trick.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Sexy Slippers posted:

It was KILLING me that they didn't have him unlock Top Secret Area instead of doing that inane trick.

I would have told him about the Forest of Illusion stage with the Multi-Item Block right after the save point. Get a star out of it, and, you can get like 20-30 lives a run doing that if you sprint through. Would have saved like 40 minutes each time he needed lives.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is the moment you've been waiting for. Arino versus Bowser - winner take all.

Refereeing this final showdown is zari-gani. She took Bowser down two falls out of three in wrestling ring and as such is the only person qualified to do it.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 466.71 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

With this the Mario challenges for television have all been translated. It also marks the end of season three. Since we're not going to translate JJ and Jeff any time soon I'm going to merge these torrents into one season torrent in a few days once this episode has had some time to seed.

Also, you can now watch 43 consecutive challenges with no gap in between them. 44 if you want to count the Pokemon special. I'm wondering if it's time to start thinking about where the DVDs and Nintendo Channel fit into the official viewing order...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 11, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo have you folks been busy!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So when are you guys going to pick some other strange and wonderful japanese tv show to translate?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Well what if they're really, really, reeeeaaaaally bad at it but somehow manage to get by as if they weren't, are they allowed to say "it's pretty easy to do x" then? :colbert:

Well, that's when you start getting into the realm of the Dunning-Kruger Effect and other interesting psychological implications.

victrix posted:

So when are you guys going to pick some other strange and wonderful japanese tv show to translate?

Oh man, competent translation of Japanese TV that doesn't require Fanboy Japanese 101 or up-to-date glasses prescriptions and a magnifying glass to see through all the rainbow text and karaoke fonts? There's probably eight million shows that could be improved by this. This project really seems like a labor of love more than anything, though. I imagine that when Arino puts down his controller for the last time, SAGCCX will probably close its doors as well.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 11, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

victrix posted:

Well there's still fifty episodes completely untranslated, eight DVD bonus episodes, fourteen Nintendo Channel challenges, and a handful of special extras to go. Plus twenty-one episodes that we may want to redo.

As zari-gani hinted at with her earlier poll, we're starting to transition into more recent stuff. The next three episodes (assuming the timing works out) are going to be less than two years old. That might be continuing for a little while.

^^^ Yeah, I don't know if I'd want to do any more timing/editing. This has been a second full time job for me. Maybe if I could get paid to do it...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 11, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh I'm not complaining - it's just that you have set up one of the very few translation groups on the net doing non anime fetish translations, and I'm assuming there are probably other weird and whacky shows that we'd never see or hear about otherwise.

Also y u guys no seed :saddowns:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

victrix posted:

Oh I'm not complaining - it's just that you have set up one of the very few translation groups on the net doing non anime fetish translations, and I'm assuming there are probably other weird and whacky shows that we'd never see or hear about otherwise.

Also y u guys no seed :saddowns:

It's seeding. Download it again; you may have gotten the one I needed to fix. Only six people got that one, though...

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
OH MY! So many episodes I've missed. And so much Mario! Thanks, thanks, and thanks again, SA Team! Time to start on SMB2.

Actually, that makes me wonder: Why does everyone refer to Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic simply as "Doki Doki Panic" instead of Yume Kōjō? I understand if the game was more remembered than the Dream Factory event it came from, but it seems like an odd thing for us to latch onto in the West, too. Was it just more fun to say? The alliteration? I don't know, it's like if the East referred to Chronicles of Riddick as "Escape From Butcher Bay". Not that I think they would ever refer to that game. Of course, this may be irrelevant to everything...

Three-Phase posted:

That and "It's an S-car! Lator!" (Escalator)

I don't know why, but that single moment made me laugh harder than most everything else I've seen from this show. A great buildup to a perfect anti-climax.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Actually, that makes me wonder: Why does everyone refer to Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic simply as "Doki Doki Panic" instead of Yume Kōjō? I understand if the game was more remembered than the Dream Factory event it came from, but it seems like an odd thing for us to latch onto in the West, too. Was it just more fun to say? The alliteration? I don't know, it's like if the East referred to Chronicles of Riddick as "Escape From Butcher Bay". Not that I think they would ever refer to that game. Of course, this may be irrelevant to everything...

That's an excellent question that I don't have an answer to. It's probably the rhythmic hook of the title.

However, as another data point, when I asked someone in a retrogame store in Japan about Doki Doki Panic they knew immediately what I was talking about.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

If I had to guess, it's because that's generally the only part that, as a westerner, you'd be able to read off-hand, and it just kinda stuck.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For all intents and purposes, Doki Doki Panic was the game's title. The Yume Kōjō part is just its branding. Kind of like the Total War games or something. Or something like how "Sid Meier's Civilization" is just known as Civilization.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Trivia time: Anyone know what episode showed Arino's wedding? My SO is strangely curious about his wife, after commenting that she has to deal with him after he gets back from a 14 hour failure.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This deluge is tremendous---at this stage I'm essentially waking up at the bottom of a lake and yet am somehow just fine with this. I gotta find some time to start!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

victrix posted:

Trivia time: Anyone know what episode showed Arino's wedding? My SO is strangely curious about his wife, after commenting that she has to deal with him after he gets back from a 14 hour failure.

They never did, and these are the only pictures of his wife on the Internet.

Here's some trivia if your SO is so curious: Arino and his wife are notoriously lovey-dovey in the entertainment world. In fact, he appeared on an episode of Ametalk called "Comedians Who Treasure Their Wives" (you can see the raw here) along with a bunch of other loving comedians.

Arino's portrait of his wife, Yuuko:

Arino's entry for "photo that sums up your relationship with your wife":

Two of every console because they both had their own before they started dating :3:

After presenting that photo he talks about how since they have such different schedules and can't always see each other, for a while they "communicated" through Wii Sports rankings, trying to one-up each other while the other is absent.

In one part of the episode, the hosts blindfolded everyone and made them all smell a sweater, which Arino was able to correctly identify as his wife's.

If you want to know more about Arino's love life, I'm working on something special...!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

She'll love this, thanks :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's adorable. I knew she was a big gamer and that's part of why they started dating. Didn't she also (in a note he read on-air) remind him to give back one of her games that he'd borrowed and "forgotten" to give back?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zari-gani posted:

Two of every console because they both had their own before they started dating :3:

I want to say that Arino's wife's systems are the ones with the stickers on them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The best thing about that picture is the Xbox as they are not that common in japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

They never did, and these are the only pictures of his wife on the Internet.

Here's some trivia if your SO is so curious: Arino and his wife are notoriously lovey-dovey in the entertainment world. In fact, he appeared on an episode of Ametalk called "Comedians Who Treasure Their Wives" (you can see the raw here) along with a bunch of other loving comedians.

Arino's portrait of his wife, Yuuko:

Just to expound on things; Arino got married during the Famicom Jump challenge. When he came in to continue the challenge they handed him Tokimeki Memorial instead.

That's really sweet that Arino found a perfect match for himself. Now I'm hoping that they've gone out in public dressed as a pair of characters from 1980's anime...

I'm also shocked Arino owns an X-Box. I'm dieing of curiosity to know what games he plays on it.

Edit: I think Toujima's is the only wedding that's been shown on the series. Urakawa got married during season 10, Abe was married when the show started, Nakayama has had a series of girlfriends, and we know that Inoko MAX can find no love (or at least hadn't as of season 13). I'm not sure if anyone else's marital status has come up on the show.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 12, 2012