Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Hell yes. Too bad those both update about as often as this does. :saddowns:

I also thought that last titan was a crazy villager, it looked very much more human than the other small ones we've seen.

Honestly I think we were supposed to, the first panels where it shows up are drawn in such a way that it hides how much bigger he is than the old woman. What a horrifying fate she suffered; if I had to be eaten by some sort of horrible monster like a Titan I'd rather be bitten in half and/or swallowed whole...not consumed slowly while still being alive. :gonk :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Vincent Valentine posted:

Actually that's a really good point. Sasquatch said that they all have something in the nape of their necks. That guy might have something, but he's not that much larger than your average person(by Titan standards), so he's definitely not piloted. What would he have in his nape?
http://i.imgur.com/eHG9q.jpg

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Vincent Valentine posted:

I was so sure that titan was her dad. Seriously, just compare their faces. All's well that ends well, though! Well, except for the old woman. She's proper hosed.

But she's still alive! :gonk:

Sasha's just lucky this isn't like other manga, that flashback would've been a death sentence.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pierson posted:

Sasha added to the long list of people that loving Own.

Sasha has always been on that list.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
This chapter ended with a note of hope. No way that will get crushed next time, right?

vvv

Alca posted:

This manga is soooooo good why is it not updated more often?

It's a monthly, dude. We've been getting a chapter a month since this thread is started, if I'm not mistaken.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheHan posted:

Sasha's just lucky this isn't like other manga, that flashback would've been a death sentence.

And I was so scared because of it.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
This manga is soooooo good why is it not updated more often?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At least the chapters are pretty meaty.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

TheHan posted:

Don't worry, she's very much dead. A wound that size in that location and she would have bled out in seconds. :eng101:

Also, in case people missed it:

http://www.mangaeden.com/en-manga/shingeki-no-kyojin/36/7/

http://www.mangaeden.com/en-manga/shingeki-no-kyojin/36/41/

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 12, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I could not help but notice it. It's a really nice way of reusing an action from a flashback. A really great chapter overall.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Rakugoon posted:

If Sasha ever dies this manga may well become unreadable.

That's the problem with trying to write a Grimdarkitydarkdark story. If you're half-decent, eventually you end up with a cast of characters who are too awesome to just kill off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hodgepodge posted:

That's the problem with trying to write a Grimdarkitydarkdark story. If you're half-decent, eventually you end up with a cast of characters who are too awesome to just kill off.
Has Berserk killed off anyone significant in the present?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Wave posted:

Not really but it's also been shifting away from the grimdark stuff since the Black Swordsman arc ended.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Not really but it's also been shifting away from the grimdark stuff since the Black Swordsman arc ended.

Um... the trolls?

No Wave posted:

A few, but most of the deaths in Berserk serve a narrative point. At this point of the narrative, it's not really necessary for them to kill tons of the cast off, since the point is that Guts is finding firmer ground at the moment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Berserk is clearly setting the stage for Guts to use a Behelit and sacrifice all his friends for the power to kill Griffith. :colbert:

I have to admit though, after the flashback and her quiet resolve, I was fully expecting Sasha to get chomped at the end of this chapter, and then we'd have yet another example of courage dissolving in the face of reality like what happened to Mike. Thankfully, potatoes and smoked meat won out.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

davidHalestorm posted:

This chapter ended with a note of hope. No way that will get crushed next time, right?

I would like to be thrown a curveball, right now I am expecting something awful to happen to those people because of the glimmer of hope.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

i like it

EmotionlessThug fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 23, 2014

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Simstim posted:

I would like to be thrown a curveball, right now I am expecting something awful to happen to those people because of the glimmer of hope.

Nah, Sasha's little arc is over for now. We've still got Connie's character left to develop. There's no doubt about it that his village was completely razed.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Weird question but was Sasha the one at the butt of all the fart jokes during training?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pinegala posted:

Weird question but was Sasha the one at the butt of all the fart jokes during training?

Yes, she was the one.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

In fact, has Sasha provided all of the comic relief thus far? I honestly can't remember any such moments that didn't involve her.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I can't recall anything funny that did not involve her.

I hope that fact alone gives her plot armor. On the other hand, that would make things predictable.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mindblast posted:

I hope that fact alone gives her plot armor. On the other hand, that would make things predictable.

That just means when poo poo really goes down, as in more down than it has previously descended, she's gonna die to prove that things are never gonna be the same.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

That just means when poo poo really goes down, as in more down than it has previously descended, she's gonna die to prove that things are never gonna be the same.
Nooo, this chapter was nerve-wracking enough in that department :smith:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mindblast posted:

More predictable than the funny one dying, eh?

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
I don't think that Sasha is particularly important to any of our main cast, so I doubt that there's going to be any dramatic deaths involving her. I guess that counts as plot armor?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I like how this series has inverse plot armor. The more entertaining and relevant to the story someone is, the more likely they are to die horribly.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Inevitable countdown until Mikasa dies then..

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He said entertaining and relevant. One of these does not apply to Mikasa.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well Mikasa certainly isn't a he :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Was there an update recently?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Was there an update recently?

Usually within the 2nd week of each month, anywhere between the 10th to the 14th.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
You know how Christa's nameless friend was recently named Ymir?

Well, uh, I don't know what's going on any more.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
:siren: New chapter out! :siren:

I love this comic. There's always a little thread of hope that shows up, one that will invariably be burned away. But humankind carries on.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I am starting to suspect there is no breach on the wall. The only reason to think so is the titan attack, but it doesn't make a lot of sense the wall got destroyed at some random location when breaking it at it's weakest point, the doors, is already pretty hard. Then there is the titan at Connie's house, which could not have gotten there under it's own power. Maybe it just spawned there, in some way. Maybe that is the origin of all titans currently attacking.

Wili fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 9, 2012

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Wow, so Crista and Ymir are suddenly both much more relevant. I'm hoping it's more than just a bodyguard relationship and that Ymir is actually another titan pilot.

Wili posted:

I am starting to suspect there is no breach on the wall. The only reason to think so is the titan attack, but it doesn't make a lot of sense the wall got destroyed at some random location when breaking it at it's weakest point, the doors, is already pretty hard.

If titans can create the solid substance that makes up the wall and armor, then is it possible for them to dissipate it at will as well?

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

Wili posted:

I am starting to suspect there is no breach on the wall.

The titans roaming around are being chucked over the wall by a titan deformed into a catapult.
We all gonna die! :supaburn:

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.
I'm thinking there might be some kind of external catalyst that can be used to induce titan transformations in people to create sudden flood waves of random size titans – and from the looks of it, the process comes with no guarantee of success for the unwitting recipient. With the way that Titans behave (eating people only to vomit them later, etc) it seems pretty clear they're in some way artificial and not natural creatures.

This manga is so great :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why is this manga so great? Because it takes such awful, awful delaying tactic tropes such as cutting away right when someone names a newly important character or reveals a secret about someone, then cuts back to see the shocked reactions of everyone but never saying that person's name while this one just does that and then tells you who they are a couple pages later. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Wow lots of crazy poo poo going on this chapter.