Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leyburn posted:

I'm having a ton of fun revisiting The Mercenaries Reunion to get myself in the mood for RE6 being released. Anyone got any tips?

When I'm playing the first map as Josh I can get to around 100 enemies routed, but the time always runs out. I'm collecting as many of the time bonuses as possible and using melee attacks as often as I can (suplexes, elbow drops, power kicks... I loving love playing as Josh), but I always run out of time.

Keep moving around the map, don't stay in one place for too long. You want to trigger enemy spawns as often as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I'm having a ton of fun revisiting The Mercenaries Reunion to get myself in the mood for RE6 being released. Anyone got any tips?

When I'm playing the first map as Josh I can get to around 100 enemies routed, but the time always runs out. I'm collecting as many of the time bonuses as possible and using melee attacks as often as I can (suplexes, elbow drops, power kicks... I loving love playing as Josh), but I always run out of time.

The key to playing as Josh is to taunt 100% of the time. That way, nothing can defeat you because you are A LEGEND

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
For something that's trying to be an action fest, the last few boss fights of RE5 are annoyingly designed for co-op.

Wesker in the volcano is actually quite difficult, since I'm used to just running about some before he fucks off and I can go to the boulder, but in co-op you almost have to actually know the exact order of events and how to trigger each one (with a small window between each, with plenty of insta-death potential.)

The actual fight is easy, but the set up is a pain.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

timeandtide posted:

For something that's trying to be an action fest, the last few boss fights of RE5 are annoyingly designed for co-op.

Wesker in the volcano is actually quite difficult, since I'm used to just running about some before he fucks off and I can go to the boulder, but in co-op you almost have to actually know the exact order of events and how to trigger each one (with a small window between each, with plenty of insta-death potential.)

The actual fight is easy, but the set up is a pain.

I will always remember the final boss fight of RE5 because the first time I did it my friend and I both ran out of ammo so we bludgeoned him to death with stun rods. :black101:

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Kanos posted:

I will always remember the final boss fight of RE5 because the first time I did it my friend and I both ran out of ammo so we bludgeoned him to death with stun rods. :black101:

I had no idea this was possible and now I want to try it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I actually don't own any of the Resident Evils (besides 4 on PS2 and 5 on 360)

I'm really tempted to get the Anthology edition and run through them all in order. Plus it's nice since 1-5 will be installed on the PS3 and I can play through them with the wireless controller and all.

Anything I should keep in mind while playing through them? Also any good places to preorder Anthology? Maybe the capcom store itself.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I consider 1 to be a lot more difficult than the rest. Try to play the Remake at some point.

In RE2 some decisions you make will affect scenario B.
There is a much easier way to deal with the crocodile than just shooting at it in RE2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

There is a much easier way to deal with the crocodile than just shooting at it in RE2.

Just keep this quote in mind.

"Smile, you son of a bitch."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im trying to think of more hints, but honestly I think they are pretty straightforward games.

Although thinking about Resident Evil more has made me yearn for a Dino Crisis game styled after RE 4 and 5 that has an atmosphere like Dino Crisis 1 :(

It would be like my own personal Jurassic Park video game based in a style that I like.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

blackguy32 posted:

I consider 1 to be a lot more difficult than the rest. Try to play the Remake at some point.

In RE2 some decisions you make will affect scenario B.

Considering I'm already going to get the Anthology, I'm going to play the RE1 that comes with it. It's the Director's Cut edition of that means anything.

And I've actually played RE2. On the N64.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

This happened to me, but we din't have stun rods, just knives. It worked and we were blown away. Then we got a trophy for it. Best boss fight ever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Considering I'm already going to get the Anthology, I'm going to play the RE1 that comes with it. It's the Director's Cut edition of that means anything.

And I've actually played RE2. On the N64.

Hmm... Jill's playthrough is quite a bit easier than Chris's so you might want to try to play with her first.

Make sure you have a decent amount of stronger ammo (Shotgun or better) before you return to the mansion.

Kill the zombie at the beginning of the game and check under the corpse for 2 very much needed clips.

Finally: Pray that it isn't the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

Finally: Pray that it isn't the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

You know, I never understood people who said the original Resident Evil was scary, until now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Leyburn posted:

You know, I never understood people who said the original Resident Evil was scary, until now.

Well, this is the original version of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITJuWV3HXg

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ineffiable posted:

Anything I should keep in mind while playing through them?

The original games' "tank controls" are the biggest sticking point for somebody who's new to the series. It's not that they're that much different than RE4, but the perspective's different because of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

RE: Ammunition is at an absolute premium and the knife is mostly useful as a last great act of defiance. Jill has two extra item slots, can find the grenade launcher, and gets a lot of puzzle solutions for "free" compared to Chris, so it's a good idea to play as her for your first time through the game.

RE2: Try to get through the opening section of the game without firing a shot. It's a lot more lenient on the ammunition than RE is, but it's useful to conserve it whenever possible. In Claire's game, use explosive rounds to clear out crowds, acid rounds to kill Lickers, and flame rounds against the Ivy. In Leon's game, when you find the parts to make the Custom Handgun/Shotgun/Magnum, don't do it until such a time as you've emptied the weapon's magazine, as creating the Custom version of the gun also refills the clip.

Claire has slightly less health than Leon and her weapons are a bit less effective (for example, a lot of people will recommend that you completely ignore her crossbow), so Claire A/Leon B is the ideal path for your first time through the game.

RE3: Do not try to fight Nemesis on your first time playing the game. You have to use up so much ammunition on him that it really changes your entire approach. You can either dodge him every chance you get and have ammo to spare for the rest of the game, or kill him repeatedly and end up having to dodge most everything else.

When you do have to fight him, and there are three unavoidable encounters with Nemesis in the game, combine Gunpowder C with explosive rounds to make Freeze Grenades. He may dodge a couple of them, but they drop him in fewer shots than any other weapon in the game.

RE:CV: Some people think this is the easiest "classic" RE; some people think it's the hardest. Save explosive powder/arrows for bosses or Bandersnatches, and be sure to take the empty fire extinguisher with you and ditch it in an item box. There's a hidden sequence of item usage which culminates in you being able to finally get the Magnum towards the end of the game, and a lot of first-time players miss out on it by leaving the empty fire extinguisher behind in the security checkpoint.

You also want to be sure to find the hemostat and give it to Rodrigo back in the cellblock at the start of the game. It's not necessary for successful completion, but it counts towards your final rank and it's part of the item chain that leads to the Magnum. A lot of first-time players don't realize that helping Rodrigo is even an option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To add to that: Code Veronica is the first game where the knife is really really effective against zombies. Aim low, slash at their legs, and you'll save a ridiculous amount of ammo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The knife wouldn't be so bad if they followed what the DS version of RE1 did with it and have it as a permanent item much like RE4.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Wanderer posted:

The original games' "tank controls" are the biggest sticking point for somebody who's new to the series. It's not that they're that much different than RE4, but the perspective's different because of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

RE: Ammunition is at an absolute premium and the knife is mostly useful as a last great act of defiance. Jill has two extra item slots, can find the grenade launcher, and gets a lot of puzzle solutions for "free" compared to Chris, so it's a good idea to play as her for your first time through the game.

RE2: Try to get through the opening section of the game without firing a shot. It's a lot more lenient on the ammunition than RE is, but it's useful to conserve it whenever possible. In Claire's game, use explosive rounds to clear out crowds, acid rounds to kill Lickers, and flame rounds against the Ivy. In Leon's game, when you find the parts to make the Custom Handgun/Shotgun/Magnum, don't do it until such a time as you've emptied the weapon's magazine, as creating the Custom version of the gun also refills the clip.

Claire has slightly less health than Leon and her weapons are a bit less effective (for example, a lot of people will recommend that you completely ignore her crossbow), so Claire A/Leon B is the ideal path for your first time through the game.

RE3: Do not try to fight Nemesis on your first time playing the game. You have to use up so much ammunition on him that it really changes your entire approach. You can either dodge him every chance you get and have ammo to spare for the rest of the game, or kill him repeatedly and end up having to dodge most everything else.

When you do have to fight him, and there are three unavoidable encounters with Nemesis in the game, combine Gunpowder C with explosive rounds to make Freeze Grenades. He may dodge a couple of them, but they drop him in fewer shots than any other weapon in the game.

Thanks, this seems pretty useful. I was really just going to run through for the story and sort of 'evolution of Resident Evil' sort of thing.

Anthology doesn't come with Code Veronica though. Or Resident Evil 0. From what I hear, that's a good thing.

I can deal with tank controls though. I've played through Deep Fear (it's a pretty awesome Resident Evil but set in an underwater place kind of thing) and I'm thinking of buying Dino Crisis 1 to help hold me over until October.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks, this seems pretty useful. I was really just going to run through for the story and sort of 'evolution of Resident Evil' sort of thing.

Anthology doesn't come with Code Veronica though. Or Resident Evil 0. From what I hear, that's a good thing.

I can deal with tank controls though. I've played through Deep Fear (it's a pretty awesome Resident Evil but set in an underwater place kind of thing) and I'm thinking of buying Dino Crisis 1 to help hold me over until October.

If you get Dino Crisis 1, make sure to get Dino Crisis 2 as well. I actually think that 2 is the better game.

Dino Crisis 1 is a fun sort of survival horror game, but I think it is hampered by having a lack of variety in both enemies and weapons which is exacerbated by having one of those weapons being completely useless (pistol)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

RE2 and RE3 are probably the highlight of the "classic" era. RE0 was in development hell for the better part of four years, the inventory system's pretty stupid, and it's got the least effective/interesting villain. CV is like four very different games had a baby together.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
In the weird Dreamcast version of RE2, it had Arrange Mode where you started off with an infinite ammo submachine gun and had an infinite ammo rocket launcher in the item boxes.

So that was nice.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Ineffiable posted:

That's a shame as I would say of the older classic style Resident Evil games I would say my favourite is Code Veronica . It's storyline is just crazy fun and will have you face palming. The game in general is evil in the stuff that it will throw at you but all in all a great experience. You can see where the change to more fun action less serious business starts in RECV that continues in RE4 and 5.

I think what I prefer about RECV to RE1,2, 3 and REmake is it keeps letting you know that you are progressing in little cut scenes or enemies appearing instead of the Silent Hill/Resident Evil style of search every room and put the items you find in the right place then you can continue.

I found the game the hardest of any Resident Evil games so far, but I never tried the knife trick to kill zombies and save ammo which might make it a bit easier. I also didn't get the magnum and missed the grenade launcher until the later half of the game.

I guess what I'm saying is buy RE:CV.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

VagueRant posted:

In the weird Dreamcast version of RE2, it had Arrange Mode where you started off with an infinite ammo submachine gun and had an infinite ammo rocket launcher in the item boxes.

So that was nice.

If I was going to replay RE2 and had my pick of any version, I'd probably go with the N64 cart. There's a nifty option you unlock by clearing the game called the Randomizer, which reshuffles health and ammunition drops.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How much is the archive edition of RE6 on the PS3? Is that 90 bucks like the 360 version? Because 90 bucks seems like a drat steal for five games in the main series compared to the 360's Code Veronica and 4.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sex_Ferguson posted:

How much is the archive edition of RE6 on the PS3? Is that 90 bucks like the 360 version? Because 90 bucks seems like a drat steal for five games in the main series compared to the 360's Code Veronica and 4.

yup, 90 bucks. Preorder from the Capcom store for free Umbrella umbrella.

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/productID.244375000/Resident-Evil-6-Anthology-PS3.html

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.

VagueRant posted:

So that was nice.

Arrange mode was awesome but the best part of it was Nightmare mode, which is exactly what it sounds like, I don't know what versions of the game had it other than Dreamcast and PC but it was just the best mode

Ammo pickups were cut by 1/3rd, No Auto-Aim, Enemies do more damage (Not as much as Hard mode/Battle Mode v.3 though I think) and enemies take a shitload more damage, I'm talking single zombies taking upwards of 2 entire handgun clips to take down (unless you score a lucky headshot) or taking 6 grenade launcher rounds and still trucking...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Technically it's 6 games.

RE1: DC
RE2
RE3
RE4
RE5: Gold Edition
and of course, RE6 as well.

A true anthology. Most people tend to avoid RE:0, and some people seem to like CV, so I guess if we got a PS2 digital release of CV, we'd be set on one console.

The 360 one is a mess. The movie that comes with it sucks too. 360 comes with RE Degeneration film, CV, 4 and 5 as well as 6 of course.

word of warning: if you're buying the collector's edition, keep in mind every game besides RE6 is a downloadable title

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still have my physical copy of RE5 Gold, so I can just keep the download should I need it at any point or in the future. That's great though, don't know if I want the Umbrella Umbrella or Free DLC Pack from Gamestop.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I still have my physical copy of RE5 Gold, so I can just keep the download should I need it at any point or in the future. That's great though, don't know if I want the Umbrella Umbrella or Free DLC Pack from Gamestop.

I'm doing Amazon because the other stuff isn't worth paying taxes/shipping on. And amazon gets to me on release day.

Also, I'm going to take a guess and say the codes are individual, so you should be able to sell the code if you want to, or sell the game itself and take it digital. I'd imagine it'd sell pretty fast for ten bucks or something like that.

I'm just happy to make it simple and have the entire worthwhile Resident Evil collection on PS3 with hdmi out and wireless controller. (pending code veronica ps2 release I suppose)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well at that rate you could just get the Code Veronica and Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles collection on PSN and you've got CV and two really great rail shooters for like 20 bucks along with the collection of the whole main series. Man, Capcom is really going all out with this game, I'm happy to see that coming from them when it seems like they really haven't been trying too hard over the past year.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I'm doing Amazon because the other stuff isn't worth paying taxes/shipping on. And amazon gets to me on release day.

Also, I'm going to take a guess and say the codes are individual, so you should be able to sell the code if you want to, or sell the game itself and take it digital. I'd imagine it'd sell pretty fast for ten bucks or something like that.

I'm just happy to make it simple and have the entire worthwhile Resident Evil collection on PS3 with hdmi out and wireless controller. (pending code veronica ps2 release I suppose)

Code Veronica is already on the PS3 store I believe. You owe it to yourself to play the Remake of 1 though, the differences between the original and remake are like night and day.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Code Veronica protip : save your explosive crossbow bolts for the last boss. A gun that deals as much damage as the magnum that can shoot as fast as you can push X? Sign me up.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I have RE0 for the Gamecube boxed away and never touched it. I'm trying to decide if I should try to dig it out for my Wii since I'm buying the PS3 Anthology. Not exactly sure where it is, to be honest, but it might be fun to play through them all. I guess I would just have to get CV for PS2 from the store then.

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To add to that: Code Veronica is the first game where the knife is really really effective against zombies. Aim low, slash at their legs, and you'll save a ridiculous amount of ammo.

The knife is really good in RE3.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

WitchFetish posted:

Code Veronica protip : save your explosive crossbow bolts for the last boss. A gun that deals as much damage as the magnum that can shoot as fast as you can push X? Sign me up.

To this day, I've never made it past the tyrant boss fight in the back of the cargo plane. It's like they designed the game so that I run out of ammo just before that fight... I need to pick it up again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mogomra posted:

To this day, I've never made it past the tyrant boss fight in the back of the cargo plane. It's like they designed the game so that I run out of ammo just before that fight... I need to pick it up again.

Save the BOW gas rounds for that fight. I think if you use all 3 of them and then shoot a few more shots into him, he will be ready to send out of the plane.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I got stuck in the exact same place, and never really enjoyed the game enough to start over. Now that they've done the HD remaster though, I might pick it up and try it again someday, since it's the last of it's kind. I will have to keep that advice about the explosive tipped crossbow bolts and the knife in mind. I'm sure those two things alone will make it a lot more doable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Save the BOW gas rounds for that fight. I think if you use all 3 of them and then shoot a few more shots into him, he will be ready to send out of the plane.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Mogomra posted:

I didn't realise I could collect the grenade launcher before that fight but I used the double uzi guns you collect at the start of the game to take him down, had you already used all of that? It only took like 40% of it's ammo from memory but that boss took many attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SolidRed posted:

I didn't realise I could collect the grenade launcher before that fight but I used the double uzi guns you collect at the start of the game to take him down, had you already used all of that? It only took like 40% of it's ammo from memory but that boss took many attempts.

I always blow through my ammo on the way to the plane because there are so many of those stretchy armed bastards around. What were they called? Bandersnatches?