Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Lagomorphic posted:

When a teammate runs off to die alone you really do need to think twice about going to get them on gold. Often you'll just go from being down one player (usually a bad one) to two.

Most wipes happen when a bad player goes down out of cover in a crossfire and refuses to gel. When it happens you need to either clear the area with a missile or just finish the wave without him.

The only problem with this is that even if a good player gets caught in a crossfire they probably won't medigel either (unless it looks like enemy movement will only make things worse), because all that means is you lose a medigel and go right back down. Good players get caught in crossfires much less often than bad ones, of course, but it does happen from time to time. Nobody's perfect after all.

To expand on the rest, the onus really is on the rescuer to think twice about whether to go in or not, as you said. (Though naturally that's easier said than done in the heat of the moment sometimes.) A good player caught in a crossfire is going to be looking for an opportunity to (relatively) safely rez and get the gently caress out of there, so simply whittling down the numbers, or even just being distracting to pull the enemies out of position, can help a lot more than trying to rush in and get them up. Bad players may expire waiting for you to come rescue them, and get all pissy about it, but who gives a gently caress. Hell, if they ragequit that's a load you don't have to carry next game. At least a good player who expires because there's simply no good opportunity for you to save them or for them to save themselves should be understanding about it because they know they got themselves into it (or at least couldn't get themselves out of it). And if they had medigel and didn't use it, that likely means they had faith that the rest could finish the wave without them.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

SirViver posted:

:words:
The quickest W10 completion run was about 20 minutes - far quicker than the average W/G/G run
:words:

I can say with certainty that this is not 'far quicker'. With a GethInf, SalEng, Demo and Shadow, we clear W/G/P wave 10 objectives in 20 minutes consistently. Tech Bursts are preferred over biotic explosions because they have a larger radius and subsequently more AoE damage. The point is that there is no one combination of class/map variables that is superior to everything else - there are still options out there to vary the gameplay, but it comes down to personal preference, class synergy, and player skill.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah bad things happen to good players. When I get downed I try to weigh the odds of the team finishing without me. As a general rule I won't use gel one waves 1,2,4, and 5 unless I did something really stupid and feel like I owe the team. I'll break this rule if we're already down a player.

Even if you are going to gel you should wait for enemies to move on or get cleared out. You might also get rescued. Unless it's really bad or you're fighting geth (gently caress pyros) you can usually gel and run like hell; even when you do get downed again if you can at least make it to cover it'll make it much easier for your teammates to get you.

Also yeah I totally agree that if you clear the area before running in you can often turn a two corpse situation into a succesful rescue (unless they're not mashing the button and bleed out before you can get them).

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

@masseffect posted:

Operation: OLYMPUS update - Allied Goals: Bronze (36%), Silver (32%), Gold (31%). There's still time. To arms, soldiers!

There's still time! (Despite the fact we're on the last day and only 1/3rd finished)

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Tremors posted:

There's still time! (Despite the fact we're on the last day and only 1/3rd finished)

It was a bullshit goal anyway. They are bleeding players like crazy. I mean gently caress, I'm not even going to bother with the personal portion of the operation.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

HoveringCheesecake posted:

It was a bullshit goal anyway. They are bleeding players like crazy. I mean gently caress, I'm not even going to bother with the personal portion of the operation.

Can't even be bothered to do a London Bronze? Dayamn. :stare:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Felinoid posted:

Yeah unless you've decided you're tired of the game all together this is a goal you'd regret not getting because it's pretty easy to just get through bronze.

Now, after you get your personal goal, if you don't feel like doing the meat grinder that London can be I don't blame you.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Felinoid posted:

Well fine, I might do it. But that's the thing - I have a tough time caring anymore.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Hey, it's practically a free Eagle :shepface:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Hey, it's practically a free Eagle :shepface:

Not quite free, as it does need to be full extraction (and pubbies can gently caress up anything), but a bronze solo's not that hard if it comes down to it. I just hope it counts and there isn't some bullshit other requirement they just didn't bother to tell us about. But meh, even if there is, just call support! (I wonder if someday they'll actually start checking or even if they could feasibly do so.)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The matchmaking is total dogshit this weekend. I get way more disconnects joining games from the friends list than I ever have and 99% of PUGs are people with bad loadouts hosting London games. :wtc:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I logged in to do one solo bronze match to fulfill the personal goal but I'm not really sure why I bothered, I hadn't played the game at all since the last weekend thing. The allied goal seemed comically unreachable too, and there was like no incentive to do it anyway.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

The matchmaking is total dogshit this weekend. I get way more disconnects joining games from the friends list than I ever have and 99% of PUGs are people with bad loadouts hosting London games. :wtc:

Yeah, this combined with the numbers and the multiple requirements make me think they're determined to make us lose this one. No thanks sadists, I'll be off playing singleplayer so I can make everything explode BESIDES my computer. Right after I get up to 100% readiness because I have to have max assets at any point no I don't have a problem stop judging me.

EDIT: I bet they're just bitter because Canada's only gold medal is in... Women's Trampoline? Huh. I need to go see if there's video of this (so I have a clue what the gently caress it even is).

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 12, 2012

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Who the gently caress tries to farm plat on Firebase Giant? :psyduck:

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Felinoid posted:

Yeah, this combined with the numbers and the multiple requirements make me think they're determined to make us lose this one. No thanks sadists, I'll be off playing singleplayer so I can make everything explode BESIDES my computer. Right after I get up to 100% readiness because I have to have max assets at any point no I don't have a problem stop judging me.

Maybe they are finally going to release the protheans and be done with it!

"A cache of cryogenically frozen protheans has been recovered and thawedand these warriors are ready to kill some reapers."

Bioware, you didn't let me kill Harbinger (gently caress you for that one) just let me play as a Prothean before I put down your series forever!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what they're gonna do to "punish" us for failing this Operation. Perhaps give Reapers a temporary buff for a weekend or something.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Vietnamwees posted:

I wonder what they're gonna do to "punish" us for failing this Operation. Perhaps give Reapers a temporary buff for a weekend or something.

Maybe they'll consider the London map overrun and remove it from the game? :haw:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SubponticatePoster posted:

Who the gently caress tries to farm plat on Firebase Giant? :psyduck:

Giant is actually super easy to cheese. All you do is park two people at the big ramp leading to the control room and two more on top of the ladder down to the lower area. All enemies will spawn on the other side of the map and be entirely exposed.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

Maybe they'll consider the London map overrun and remove it from the game? :haw:

Also from the singleplayer campaign.
And then they will re-do the entire end-game section. And get it right, this time around.

:allears:

:negative:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Or they'll need extra reinforcements to take London back. All other maps are taken out of play.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Giant is actually super easy to cheese. All you do is park two people at the big ramp leading to the control room and two more on top of the ladder down to the lower area. All enemies will spawn on the other side of the map and be entirely exposed.
Yes, but then everyone (except me) proceeded to run all over the map and get murdered. One dipshit kept running back to the starting area. The host, who picked the map was one of these dipshits, who then decided to yell at everyone for getting killed.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I remember parking a SalEng at the top of that ladder vs cerberus. Threw a decoy at my feet and watched as half of wave 9 got stuck behind it, meleeing wildly. It was beautiful.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That really is a hosed up number of missions. This is gonna be what, the fourth failed operation? It's like Bioware has no clue how many people play this game anymore.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah I gave it a shot. Went to a bronze lobby, the host left and dumped me into my own game as the new host, and then I quit the game. gently caress this garbage I don't have time for this.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Also from the singleplayer campaign.
And then they will re-do the entire end-game section. And get it right, this time around.

:allears:

With a (short) Mako turret section! And then you control Cortez in a borrowed Trident for a dogfight overhead! And then Shepard hops inside Harbinger and you tear his guts out with your bare (well, armored) hands after battling through all the enemies he hasn't dropped off yet! And you exit via a water slide while Wrex sings a krogan epic about blood! :allears:

Captain McStabbin posted:

Or they'll need extra reinforcements to take London back. All other maps are taken out of play.

Okay gently caress you that actually gave me a chill. I think that would kill the game for the duration of it, though.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

With a (short) Mako turret section! And then you control Cortez in a borrowed Trident for a dogfight overhead! And then Shepard hops inside Harbinger and you tear his guts out with your bare (well, armored) hands after battling through all the enemies he hasn't dropped off yet! And you exit via a water slide while Wrex sings a krogan epic about blood! :allears:

Nope, sorry. We can't have nice things. :(

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Nope, sorry. We can't have nice things. :(

Not even the water slide? But...everyone loves water slides. :(

Also, sorry to hear that HoveringCheesecake. Have fun with whatever else! :)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

That really is a hosed up number of missions. This is gonna be what, the fourth failed operation? It's like Bioware has no clue how many people play this game anymore.
Nah, it's that they don't realise FB: London is poo poo and they think people aren't playing it because they simply don't know about it. It's not how many people are playing, it's how they play.

Which is much worse.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

I've played a fair bit of Silver today and I've seen the usual problem, pubbies running off on their own and getting killed.
Exactly. Guess the main problem is that Bronze doesn't teach the basic Do's and Don'ts of ME3 MP, instead allowing you to Rambo curbstomp with pretty much any class, especially so with the Earth ones. Cue Silver, which actually requires following the basic rules to a minimum degree, and everything starts falling apart.

However, I couldn't really say how to fix that either. A difficulty as forgiving as Bronze is required so you don't scare away new players and to give casual players who just try to get their readiness rating up a chance (not that that's going to be many players at this point). Making Silver easier wouldn't accomplish anything either, as it'd just end up as Bronze+ then. Maybe some actual valid, MP-related loadscreen messages explaining the basics could help a little.

TacticalGranny posted:

I can say with certainty that this is not 'far quicker'.
I was talking about the average random W/G/G PUG, not ones with coordinated effort :). I just found that the G/P games so far were as fast or faster than W/G/G ones. Though I haven't tried W/G/P yet, so maybe those go even faster.

Also just had a few rounds with Vietnamwees (remembered your GT), though we got a bit unlucky with people dropping out during the match, and getting ill fitting replacements to boot (Krogan Soldier with Avenger :raise:). Playing an AJ without anyone to explode the Reaves isn't very effective, either. Still, 2 out of 3 wasn't that bad, and the failed one at least netted us 70k as well. Hope the games I hosted weren't too laggy, me sitting in Europe and all. I generally try to avoid hosting - I don't like how super accurate and focused-on-you the enemies suddenly become.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Felinoid posted:

Also, sorry to hear that HoveringCheesecake. Have fun with whatever else! :)

I'm not totally done, but gently caress me if I could care less about the weekend operations anymore.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I'd hop online to help out, but I'm at work all weekend.

Definitely noticed a dropoff in the playerbase, which is a shame, because I only got into playing the multiplayer recently (I played through the single-player campaign a few times with different saves and decisions.) I suppose entropy is inevitable - I just wish it'd waited until I was ready to put the game aside.

Felinoid posted:

EDIT: I bet they're just bitter because Canada's only gold medal is in... Women's Trampoline? Huh. I need to go see if there's video of this (so I have a clue what the gently caress it even is).

Come on.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

Especially not water slides, as per Mac Walters' direct order.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Eh. They're trying to get back some players with an "innovative" challenge and making the numbers high as a result of hope. And then when we don't fulfill that vain hope because the challenge, while topical, is stupid to do without progress counters, they will punish those of us who are left. Which is comparable in effectiveness to yelling at a child for being scared of you. Eventually they'll conclude that we simply "don't appreciate the trouble we're going through for all you for these operations" (admittedly probably half true), stop doing them, and then double all the enemy stats as a final punishment.

:edi:
EDIT: Unless you mean about their only gold being in Women's Trampoline, which is actually true. It looks like gymnastics on the moon; rather impressive really.

Burning Mustache posted:

Especially not water slides, as per Mac Walters' direct order.

Walters! :argh:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I just got a Typhoon. Is it still worth using at rank I after the nerfs? The Revenant X does a pretty good job on my Destroyer.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Nah, it's that they don't realise FB: London is poo poo and they think people aren't playing it because they simply don't know about it. It's not how many people are playing, it's how they play.

Which is much worse.

Wait, but you don't need London for the allied goal, which is the one that's gonna fail. It's just that people aren't playing enough missions, which suggests there aren't enough people.

Do people think all the missions need to be on London? That'd be a good reason for the numbers to be so low.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Huh. I glossed over that. Might be the buggy weekend (the new Origin remains terrible) driving people away but if it's not, that's not good news.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

While I don't have all race combinations and I appreciate the newer additions I really can't find anything else I prefer more (so far) than Asari Adept with the Valiant sniper rifle. There is something simple but alluring to me about putting a few dudes in stasis and carefully and calmly headshotting all of them.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Who cares about the N7 weapons? Sure, some are good, but none of them is the Piranha or Krysae so who gives a poo poo.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You don't necessarily NEED London for the Allied goal, but you CAN do it for both your Squad AND Allied Goal, which kind of makes it two birds with one stone I suppose.

Yeah, we had a few good games, SirViver. When I saw your gamertag, I knew it looked familiar from the thread, sorry I never got around to adding you, most of the time I post in this thread at work and I forget to do stuff when I get home and play. But yeah, we did pretty that first game, but then the servers took a poo poo on us while we were on wave 7 with our high level consumables on. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of when I use consumables, wasting my stuff like that just infuriates me to no end.

EDIT: You know the sad thing about failing this event? That there's basically NO reason to care if we succeed or not. The Allied Victory pack isn't going to have any promo weapon, right? Then whats the point in doing anything besides the Squad Goal?

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Arcaeris posted:

Who cares about the N7 weapons? Sure, some are good, but none of them is the Piranha or Krysae so who gives a poo poo.

N7 Piranha. And the Krysae was nerfed to poo poo, right (I stopped using it about a month ago)?

• Locked thread